The Singular Factor In Coming To God Through Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This claim is so outrageously bogus that it makes everything else you have claimed come into question.
95%????
Change your name....
If you also disobeyed Acts 2:38, make it 96%.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just traded one legalistic religious system for another. You haven't gained anything.
Acts 2:38 is brutally legal.

It is the first command to sinners that asked Peter what to do about their sins.

I would consider Acts 2:38 the foundation of the Church.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it okay for Peter to leave out "in the name of the Father" but not okay if he doesn't say "in the name of Jesus Christ"? According to your legalistic doctrine he has not obeyed what Jesus said to do on either count. But you are careful to lambast others for not following Peter's lead. You sound very Catholic!
Lambast?

Telling my fellow humans to obey Acts 2:38 is lambasting them?

Man, Peter was the king of lambasters.

He lambasted 3000 in one day per Acts 2, then lambasted the gentiles in Acts 10.

What a legalist meany.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.
So, apparently, the way Peter baptized in Acts is okay, even though it deviates from what Jesus said in Matthew 28:19.
Maybe Peter knew something that Christendom does not?

Jesus said "I am come in my Father's name"=Jesus name belonged to the Father first(Heb 1:4).... The Father's name is Jesus

The name of the son is..... "Jesus".

"The Holy Ghost will be sent in my name"...the name of the Holy Ghost is Jesus.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions to anyone...

What is the name of the Father?

What is the name of the son?

What is the name of the Holy Ghost?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, that is frighteningly correct.

He is looking for the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of folks' sins.

Should he ignore it to appeal to our emotional appetites?

Could the priest skip the brazen laver in the tabernacle?

Is God a "no rules" God?

Or, are we surrounded by "no rules" theologians?
Well, it's not surprising that legalists think not being legalistic means being lawless. It hardly means that. It means cold dead legalisms are not what constitutes the worship God desires and is pleased by. Christianity is not about the legalisms of rituals and ceremonial worship...

"the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking..." Romans 14:17​

It's about reveling in the Spirit of God in righteousness, peace and joy...

"...but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit." Romans 14:17​

Because that is the way that pleases God. Legalistic worship is not the way that pleases God.

"For whoever serves Christ in this way (in righteousness, peace, and joy, not in the legalistic 'eatings and drinkings' of religious rituals and worship) is pleasing to God and approved by men." Romans 14:18​

God's pleasure rests on the man who relates to him through a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit, not through legalistic religious activities.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it's not surprising that legalists think not being legalistic means being lawless. It hardly means that. It means cold dead legalisms are not what constitutes the worship God desires and is pleased by. Christianity is not about the legalisms of rituals and ceremonial worship...

"the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking..." Romans 14:17​

It's about reveling in the Spirit of God in righteousness, peace and joy...

"but of righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit." Romans 14:17​

Because that is the way that pleases God. Legalistic worship is not the way that pleases God.

"For whoever serves Christ in this way (in righteousness, peace, and joy, not in the legalistic 'eatings and drinkings' of religious rituals and worship) is pleasing to God and approved by men." Romans 14:18​

God's pleasure rests on the man who relates to him through a personal relationship with the Holy Spirit, not through legalistic religious activities.
Can one disobey Acts 2:38 and be right with God?

Could the 3000 at Pentecost have merely dismissed Peter and "confessed Jesus" instead?

Well, they do it now.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has Christianity finally evolved from harsh Acts 2:38 to a better, easy path of "think/believe" to be saved?

Shall God honor the new stuff?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you all know that the Epistles were written to folks that previously obeyed Acts 2:38, and not to sinners and those that disobeyed it?

Did you all ever notice that your NT was placed in a specific order to read and react to?

For example....

Matt-John....gospels to sinners.

Acts...record of the new church.

Romans- Rev....written to saints that obeyed Acts.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.
So, apparently, the way Peter baptized in Acts is okay, even though it deviates from what Jesus said in Matthew 28:19.

Greetings.
If we do a word search for Father, Son, Holy Ghost/Spirit we will discover this yields only one result = Matthew 28:19

That should get our attention. If that is the correct way to baptize then certainly we would see many results in the search, right?

As it turns out, Matthew 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission. Let's take a look...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

And, that is what they did...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greetings.
If we do a word search for Father, Son, Holy Ghost/Spirit we will discover this yields only one result = Matthew 28:19

That should get our attention. If that is the correct way to baptize then certainly we would see many results in the search, right?

As it turns out, Matthew 28:19 is not the only account of the great commission. Let's take a look...

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

And, that is what they did...

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I wonder why Truther is not bashing Peter for not obeying Jesus to the letter. He insists all believers must follow Peter's teaching to the letter while he himself (Peter) did not follow Christ's teaching to the letter. Hmm. He sounds really Catholic.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you all ever notice that your NT was placed in a specific order to read and react to?
Actually, it's largely just been assembled in historical fashion. Obviously, the gospel accounts of Jesus and the Apostles flow historically into the ascension of Jesus into heaven in the book of Acts and the ministry of the Apostles. And then into the ministry of Paul.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shall God honor the new stuff?
It was literally impossible for me to be water baptized when I heard and responded to the gospel. He honored the situation and circumstances I was in at that time. But most of all he honored my FAITH and did not hold baptism against me as a legalistic hurdle to receiving the Spirit in salvation. I would not do such an loving thing to my son. How much more, God, who loves his children infinitely more.