• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but I do not grant that the ten commandments are exclusive to the old covenant, or separate from the two great commandments in any way.

You are certainly entitled to your belief. :)

Thank you, but I want to tell you why I am no longer SDA, and have come to a different conclusion based on scripture after having believed as you do for 23 years. What do you think of these scriptures?

Now I believe that the Ten Commandments, according to the New Testament, was exclusive to the Old Covenant, because it was called the ministry of death. It also had to be kept by the letter of the law which kills.

The New Covenant is the ministry of the Spirit, which gives life. The eternal laws of God, which the Ten Commandment were based on, (but could not make anyone righteous), are now written on our hearts. They have to do with a change of our nature, which the Sabbath is outside the realm of our nature. Seeing as it is still a letter of the law commandment, it is no longer valid, and called an outside "work" of the law. It was the SIGN of the Old Covenant. The Cup represents the New Covenant and is its SIGN. 1 Corinthians 11:25

2 Corinthians 3:6-11.
6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10 For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Romans 8:1-2
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

I would like to hear what you think of these scriptures as well as Galatians 4:22-31

22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

Ishmael represents the Ten Commandments, and Isaac represents the New Covenant of the promise, Jesus.

This is why we are not under the law according to Paul, but are not lawless, we establish the law through the Spirit.

If you do not see this as I do, just be convinced in your own mind, while keeping it open, especially to the Spirit. It took me years of study and going back over these scriptures and others to make sure I was not sinning. That is all that matters to me, to be pleasing in His sight. BTW, Sunday is not a command, it is a day of celebration, but we are not under any laws regarding any day of the week anymore, Saturday or Sunday. However, we are to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, but even in that verse, no day is mentioned, Hebrews 10:25.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarneyFife

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Why not if you keep the Sabbath? Is it because the Sabbath was put in the middle of the Ten Commandments, making it a commandment? Why was this holy convocation from the list in Leviticus 23 put in the Commandments and not the other feasts. Why not all of them.

Why not if you keep the Sabbath? Is it because the Sabbath was put in the middle of the Ten Commandments

Jesus' whole life was a song of praise to the Almighty Father, "To Do Thy Will o God", I keep Your Feasts of: Have no other Gods before Me ... of: Make no images to worship instead of Me ... of: Not using Your Name in vain o Holy Spirit... and of every Commandment there is of You, My God-- as, "OF SABBATH'S-FEAST-OF-CHRIST-THE-SUBSTANCE!" : "on the Seventh Day". It is <<because the Sabbath was put in the middle of the Ten Commandments>>. Every Commandment of yours My Father, to Me is the Pleasure of my Life to honour.

But "CHRIST-IS-OF-THE-ESSENCE" NOW AND FOREVER BECAUSE HE ROSE FROM THE DEAD TO FOREVER LIVE. The blood-feasts on the contrary He fulfilled once for all or He had to be slaughtered to this day and forevermore (like the Catholics do). Therefore the feasts of offerings and gifts OF MAN are HONOURED in that they are NO LONGER 'kept' but are believed as FULFILLED IN THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST THE LAMB OF GOD FROM THE DEAD and no longer in the SACRIFICE of Him.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Carry on ... can a man change his own nature? Rather is a leopard able to change into the impala he eats.

Jesus came as High Priest according to the order of Melchizedec...for He was not a Levite but was of the tribe of Judah and therefore had no right to the Levitical priesthood.

With a change in priesthood came a change also of the law (Hebrews 7:12);

For Jesus came not after a carnal commandment but after the power of an endless life (Hebrews 7:16).

In this, He was the Lord of the sabbath and was therefore able to redefine it (Mark 2:28). For the sabbath was made for man; and not man for the sabbath (Mark 2:27); and Jesus redefined it as such.

Whereas previously, it was forbidden to do "any" work on the sabbath day (Exodus 20:10).

Jesus' redefinition of the sabbath day meant that it is now lawful to do well on sabbath days (Matthew 12:12).

This was a change in the law; and therefore when Jesus brake the sabbath, He was not violating the law because the law had been changed.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If you do not see this as I do, just be convinced in your own mind, while keeping it open, especially to the Spirit. It took me years of study and going back over these scriptures and others to make sure I was not sinning. That is all that matters to me, to be pleasing in His sight.

It would be pleasing to God to hear his children PLEAD THEIR GUILT AND SIN, not to see them <<make sure (they are) not sinning>>.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
we are to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together, but even in that verse, no day is mentioned, Hebrews 10:25.

Yes, the day of the week isn't mentioned; why should it be specified while, 1) it was the Day of worship-rest of all the Christians without saying, and, 2) while it was the only Day in Scriptures mentioned for being a) "My Holy Day"-- viz, the Lord's "Holy Day"-- b) "the Lord's Day"-- c) "MY Sabbath"-- d) "Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD"-- e) "the day The Seventh Day GOD THUS CONCERNING HAD SPOKEN .. BY THE SON".

Last edited:

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to hear what you think of these scriptures as well as Galatians 4:22-31

22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:

If i may

GALATIANS 4 [21] Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? [22] For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. [23] But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. [24] Which things are an allegory: for these are the TWO COVENANTS; THE ONE FROM THE MOUNT SINAI, WHICH GENDERETH TO BONDAGE, WHICH IS AGAR. [25] For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. [26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.......... [30] Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

Is the above scripture speaking of the 10 commandments as you claim or is it simply speaking of circumcision?

EXODUS 34 [28] And he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the COVENANT, the TEN COMMANDMENTS.

ACTS 7 [8] And he gave him the COVENANT OF CIRCUMCISION: and so Abraham begat Isaac, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat the twelve patriarchs.

BOTH the 10 commandments and circumcision were givin as “covenants”

EXODUS 24 [12] And the Lord said unto Moses, COME UP TO ME INTO THE MOUNT, and be there: and I WILL GIVE THEE tables of stone, AND A LAW, AND COMMANDMENTS which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

LEVITICUS 7 [37] THIS IS THE LAW OF THE BURNT OFFERING, of the meat offering, and of the sin offering, and of the trespass offering, and of the consecrations, and of the sacrifice of the peace offerings; [38] WHICH THE LORD COMMANDED MOSES IN MOUNT SINAI, in the day that he commanded the children of Israel to offer their oblations unto the Lord, in the wilderness of Sinai.

Both covenants, the 10 commandments and the law of Moses were given at Mt Sinai.

JOHN 7 [21] Jesus answered and said unto them, I have done one work, and ye all marvel.[22] MOSES THEREFORE GAVE UNTO YOU CIRCUMCISION; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.[23] If a man on the sabbath day RECEIVE CIRCUMCISION, THAT THE LAW OF MOSES SHOULD NOT BE BROKEN; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?

Circumcision is of the law of Moses and given at Sinai. So which of these, the 10 commandments or circumcision do the scriptures say bring us into “bondage” {Gal.4:24}?

And the winner is....

GALATIANS 5 [1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and BE NOT ENTANGLED AGAIN WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE. [2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that IF YE BE CIRCUMCISED, CHRIST SHALL PROFIT YOU NOTHING.

And again...

GALATIANS 2 [3] But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was COMPELLED TO BE CIRCUMCISED: [4]And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might BRING US INTO BONDAGE:

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 3:6-11.
6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

So please tell me. How in the world do you keep the spirit of the law and not the letter?????According to the scriptures Jesus did not do away with the law but made the law greater. He magnified the law to a spiritual level. He made the 10 commandments even harder to keep.

2 COR. 3 [6] WHO ALSO HATH MADE US ABLE MINISTERS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT; NOT OF THE LETTER, BUT OF THE SPIRIT: FOR THE LETTER KILLETH, BUT THE SPIRIT GIVETH LIFE. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [8] How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

ROMANS 7 [4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. [5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. [6] But now we are DELIVERED FROM THE LAW, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should SERVE IN NEWNESS OF SPIRIT, AND NOT IN THE OLDNESS OF THE LETTER.

As we can see in above scriptures we are now to walk in the spirit of the law. If we walk only in the letter of the law this will lead to death, but if we walk in the spirit of the law this leads to life.

MATTHEW 5 [20] For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. [21] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, THOU SHALT NOT KILL; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: [22] BUT I SAY UNTO YOU, THAT WHOSOEVER IS ANGRY WITH HIS BROTHER WITHOUT A CAUSE SHALL BE IN DANGER OF THE JUDGMENT: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

OLD LETTER- Thou shalt not kill
NEW SPIRIT- Don’t even get angry. Call no man a fool. Love one another in thought, word and deed.

MATTHEW 5 [27] Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, thou shalt not commit adultery: [28] But i say unto you, that WHOSOEVER LOOKETH ON A WOMAN TO LUST AFTER HER HATH COMMITTED ADULTERY with her already in his heart.

OLD LETTER- Thou shalt not commit adultery
NEW SPIRIT- Do not look on a woman to lust. Keep the law in our mind and spirit. Even in our eyes.

So you can see that Jesus did not do away with the letter of the law. Common sense will tell ya in order to walk in the spirit of the law you must also be walking in the letter. Jesus made the commandments even harder to keep and more honorable.

ISAIAH 42 [20] Seeing many things, but thou observest not; opening the ears, but he heareth not.[21] The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; HE WILL MAGNIFY THE LAW, and make it honourable.

Yes, Jesus magnified the law. He took the letter of the law (which leads to death) and magnified the law to a spiritual level (which leads to life).

Reactions: bbyrd009

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Boring bull

Harden your heart to the truth if you wish; it's on you.

Circumcision is of the law of Moses and given at Sinai.

It was actually given to Abraham, before Sinai.

So you can see that Jesus did not do away with the letter of the law. Common sense will tell ya in order to walk in the spirit of the law you must also be walking in the letter. Jesus made the commandments even harder to keep and more honorable.

As with the sabbath day law, Jesus brought it home to the spirit of rest as opposed to a singular day of the week in which you rest:

Mat 11:28, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29, Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30, For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Heb 4:10, For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As with the sabbath day law, Jesus brought it home to the spirit of rest as opposed to a singular day of the week in which you rest:

Mat 11:28, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29, Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Mat 11:30, For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

MATTHEW 11 [27] All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. [28] Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

In order to find out what rest Jesus is speaking of simply read the very next verse. Keep in mind when this was written it was one continual writing. No chapters and verses.

MATTHEW 12 [1] At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. [2] But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As with the sabbath day law, Jesus brought it home to the spirit of rest as opposed to a singular day of the week in which you rest

Heb 4:10, For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

HEBREWS 4 [9] THERE REMAINETH THEREFORE A REST to the people of God.[10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. The sabbath.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The New Covenant is the ministry of the Spirit, which gives life.

Good; the New Covenant is God's only Covenant, his Eternal Covenant of Grace through Jesus Christ and <the ministry of the Spirit which gives life>. God has no Covenant that became 'old' which is man's covenant of vain promises and puffed-up oaths that EVER FAILS to give or deserve or even receive eternal life.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the above scripture speaking of the 10 commandments as you claim or is it simply speaking of circumcision?

These are two COVENANTS. The covenant given on Mt. Sinai was the Ten Commandments, Exodus 34:28, kept by the flesh, and related to Ishmael. Circumcision was the sign of the Covenant to Abraham given 430 years prior, and referred to the Seed - Jesus, the promise. Speaking of signs of the covenants, the Sabbath was the sign to the covenant to the Jews in the Ten Commandments, Exodus 31:13

I haven't finished reading your post, but thought I would get this confusion out of the way first.