• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For someone with a short attention span, you did a remarkable job!!!

No, I'm not a fan of Calvinist Baptists. I guess there may be other Baptists, such as Free Will Baptists, but I have not seen a denomination of any kind that believes as I do now. So, you can't compare me to any denomination that I know of. It seems that they all believe that we will always sin until we die, as you said, which makes us need a savior. Always sinning is not my belief. Curious, do you believe 1 John 1:8 is talking about a born again Christian? "8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

You quoted out of Romans 7. But, at least, you quoted out of the best part. If you had gone one more verse you would see the reason Jesus came. It seems that many on the forum from all denominations, including SDA, seem to think that Jesus came to save us from the penalty of breaking the law, sin. You didn't address that, so what do you believe? Why did Jesus come to die for us?

I'm not done yet, but will pause to let you address these. (I had to laugh when you said when you were studying years ago you didn't have the internet :D )
I was Free Will. Staunch Calvinism is confusing to me. It makes God a subject to his own creation of time, which is just ridiculous. I believe, as you do, that we are saved from our sins, not in them. I believe it might be very difficult to avoid all sins of omission, although I believe that God will, by the outpouring of His Spirit in latter rain power, accomplish even that in the last generation of the living when He returns for us. I don't believe I'm at the point where I never, ever sin. Just today I had a little too much to eat. I hope I can be forgiven. I believe I am being sanctified day by day, even though sometimes I have better days than others. I believe that He Who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it. I believe there are many reasons Christ came to die for us, but the greatest is that He loves us (John 3:16). I don't believe things are as complicated as we often seem to want to make them. The two other Ps I suspect you're looking for--power and presence--are part of my understanding of why He came as well as the (p)enalty of sin. Justification, sanctification, and glorification, if you will.

As far as 1 John 1:8 goes, I would say I can't be sure, so I must assume I am the one being addressed, although I do not see it in any way as a license to sin.

Reactions: Nancy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
cc: @BarnyFife (don't want to leave you out of my thoughts.)
Very thoughtful of you. I hate to rebut covenant theologies over and over. I feel like I'm harping and being argumentative. My position is simple enough, though. I don't believe the various covenants are of the same weight as the covenant with Israel (The Christian church is Israel--Romans 2:28-29, Romans 11, Galatians 6:16). You mention that circumcision was the sign of the covenant with Abraham and was carried over into Mosaic law and fulfilled in Christ. Was the rainbow of the covenant with Noah carried over to Abraham, Moses, and fulfilled in Christ? If not, why not? And if so could we be, once again, subject to destruction from God by flood? :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please elaborate.

Does the Saviour make you perfectly obedient to the commandments of God from conception into eternity?
Edit your post all you like. I don't answer questions calculated to ensnare. There are no strings on me.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't believe the various covenants are of the same weight as the covenant with Israel (The Christian church is Israel--Romans 2:28-29, Romans 11, Galatians 6:16). You mention that circumcision was the sign of the covenant with Abraham and was carried over into Mosaic law and fulfilled in Christ. Was the rainbow of the covenant with Noah carried over to Abraham, Moses, and fulfilled in Christ? If not, why not? And if so could we be, once again, subject to destruction from God by flood?
116264406_10208169054140323_180908126088125788_n.jpg

The Longitudes of Redemption

Reactions: BarneyFife

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very thoughtful of you. I hate to rebut covenant theologies over and over. I feel like I'm harping and being argumentative. My position is simple enough, though. I don't believe the various covenants are of the same weight as the covenant with Israel (The Christian church is Israel--Romans 2:28-29, Romans 11, Galatians 6:16). You mention that circumcision was the sign of the covenant with Abraham and was carried over into Mosaic law and fulfilled in Christ. Was the rainbow of the covenant with Noah carried over to Abraham, Moses, and fulfilled in Christ? If not, why not? And if so could we be, once again, subject to destruction from God by flood? :)

No the rainbow has not been fulfilled. It will be in place for as long as the earth is here. The next time the earth is destroyed, it will just pass away, or by fire, but that may be the earth becoming hell, I don't know, but again it will be fulfilled by Christ, but His second coming, not the first, and there will be a new heaven and a new earth Revelation 20 and 21. But you already know that! ;)

I believe the covenant with national Israel is still in place. But the New Covenant is also with Israel, but with those Jews who became part of the New Church, His Bride, by faith in Jesus, of which we Gentiles have been grafted in. National Israel has not been abandoned by God. His prophecies concerning them are still coming to pass, such as them becoming a nation again in 1948, and the supernatural means of obtaining Jerusalem in the 6 day war of 1967. Their partial blindness of Romans 11 is only until the fullness of the Gentiles comes into the Church, and then it shall be lifted during the last 7 years before Christ's second coming. Then all national Israel at that time will be saved and know their Messiah and come into the Bride of Christ.

What I cc: you on, is only for you to know my thoughts; some of which you've heard before, but other's you haven't. If you wish to respond on a new point, feel free to like you did here. But on things you've already responded to, I don't expect another answer.

Last edited:

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No; because it was not given through Moses but through Abraham first.

Moses did re-institute the practice at Gilgal.

But it was passed down from Abraham.

OK OK. That does not negate the point i was makin.

Which of these, the 10 commandments or circumcision do the scriptures say bring us into “bondage” {Gal.4:24}?

And the winner is....

GALATIANS 5 [1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and BE NOT ENTANGLED AGAIN WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE. [2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that IF YE BE CIRCUMCISED, CHRIST SHALL PROFIT YOU NOTHING.

And again...

GALATIANS 2 [3] But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was COMPELLED TO BE CIRCUMCISED: [4]And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might BRING US INTO BONDAGE:

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just before Jesus ascended into heaven, what did Jesus tell the disciples to wait in Jerusalem for, and what would it do for them? If you find this out, you will know the answer. Also, what did He tell Nicodemus?

I need to take this in stages. I want you to think first.

Thinkin Thinkin Thinking. Im thinking you answered my question with a question. Are you into politics? Biden your time before answering

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK OK. That does not negate the point i was makin.

Which of these, the 10 commandments or circumcision do the scriptures say bring us into “bondage” {Gal.4:24}?

And the winner is....

GALATIANS 5 [1] Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and BE NOT ENTANGLED AGAIN WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE. [2] Behold, I Paul say unto you, that IF YE BE CIRCUMCISED, CHRIST SHALL PROFIT YOU NOTHING.

And again...

GALATIANS 2 [3] But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was COMPELLED TO BE CIRCUMCISED: [4]And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might BRING US INTO BONDAGE:

I might wanna add the book of Galatians is a book containing 6 very short chapters. In these 6 chapters circumcision is mentioned 16 times. The commandments are not mentioned once. Yet, those people that wish to do away with GODS commandments use scriptures from Galatians to try and do so. The law of circumcism is one of the carnal ordinances of the law that were nailed to the cross. Those that wish to do away with Gods 10 commandments will also try and tell you that the ordinances and the ten commandments are simply parts of the law and are not separate from one another. In saying that they will point to a scripture thats speaking of circumcision and then apply that scripture to Gods 10 commandments. This is done to extreme in the book of Galatians. The scripture below separates the law, the commandments and the ordinances

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] AND the statutes, AND the ordinances, AND the law, AND the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

AND means AND....

1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

And although the law of circumcision was nailed to the cross, Gods law (the 10 commandments) are to be kept.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thinkin Thinkin Thinking. Im thinking you answered my question with a question. Are you into politics? Biden your time before answering

Biden?????

118766501_235196034499063_2545060309205230528_n.jpg

I see you passed by one of my responses to you. I'll repeat it. I see you like Galatians. How could you miss this?

Galatians 3:
19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, TILL the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. 20 Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law. 22 But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

It seems you believe "the law" is only circumcision, and not the whole law.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Edit your post all you like. I don't answer questions calculated to ensnare. There are no strings on me.

It as not intended to "ensnare".

But the fact that you think that it was makes me think that you may have something to hide.

So, you believe that you keep all of God's commandments perfectly?

BOWnQUIVER

Jul 7, 2020
catskills
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Speaking of signs of the covenants, the Sabbath was the sign to the covenant to the Jews in the Ten Commandments, Exodus 31:13

And to the church in the new {Jew and Gentile}

EZEKIEL 20 [12] Moreover also I GAVE THEM MY SABBATHS, TO BE A SIGN between me and them, that they might know THAT I AM THE LORD THAT SANCTIFY THEM.

The sabbath is a sign between God and his people that the “Lord does sanctify them”.

ISAIAH 66 [15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.[17] THEY THAT SANCTIFY THEMSELVES, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, EATING SWINE'S FLESH, and the abomination, and the mouse, SHALL BE CONSUMED together, saith the LORD.

I just love “Day of the Lord” scriptures. No one can claim that that those scriptures are only for ancient Israel. Day of the Lord scriptures are for ALL His people. Jew and gentile. There is no difference. Anyways, if THE SABBATH IS A SIGN THAT GOD SANCTIFYS YOU. Who are those that “sanctify themselves”? Pretty simple to figure out.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to the church in the new {Jew and Gentile}

EZEKIEL 20 [12] Moreover also I GAVE THEM MY SABBATHS, TO BE A SIGN between me and them, that they might know THAT I AM THE LORD THAT SANCTIFY THEM.

The sabbath is a sign between God and his people that the “Lord does sanctify them”.

ISAIAH 66 [15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.[17] THEY THAT SANCTIFY THEMSELVES, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, EATING SWINE'S FLESH, and the abomination, and the mouse, SHALL BE CONSUMED together, saith the LORD.

I just love “Day of the Lord” scriptures. No one can claim that that those scriptures are only for ancient Israel. Day of the Lord scriptures are for ALL His people. Jew and gentile. There is no difference. Anyways, if THE SABBATH IS A SIGN THAT GOD SANCTIFYS YOU. Who are those that “sanctify themselves”? Pretty simple to figure out.

God's rest is not a day. It is a person.

1 John 3:21-24
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. 24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Commandments 1-4 are Jesus
Commandments 5-10 are loving our neighbors by the power of the indwelling Spirit of Christ. (lacking in the 10C)

Last edited: