• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That is not what it says.

It says that as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse...the curse being that if they don't continue in everything written in the book of the law to do it, they are cursed.

Who says I said <that is not what it says>? I said nothing about WHAT they are but, WHO, are "as many as are of the works of the Law" -- Who are they? The answer is written: "FOR... every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the Law to do them .. are of the works of the Law"! They are those “not of faith”! So of course then they are "under the curse of the law" : BECAUSE THEY "CONTINUE NOT .. IN THE LAW" while you claim they are under the curse BECAUSE THEY CONTINUE IN THE LAW. So you are lying against the written Law as well as against the Written Word of God in Galatians 3.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the ones given in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5 are the ten spoken of in Exodus 34:28. If you look at it closely, you will see that these were the ones written on the tablets (Deuteronomy 5:22).
Absolutely not. lol You are thinking that I have not looked at it closely lol The summery of laws spoken of at the foot of Mt Sinai (chapter 20) are just that, summaries that are detailed in the actual Mosaic Laws. The ones God spoke to Moses on top of Mt. Sinai (chapter 34) are detailed and are mostly different. I have told you this before, get a copy of the 613 Mosaic Laws and study them.

There so many processes, procedures, rituals, and laws in the 613 Mosaic laws that would not be allowed in Christianity. You would either end up in prison or an insane asylum if you tried to follow a lot of them. And the rest you could not follow even if you wanted to. The Mosaic Laws are not Christian! All you have to do is study the Mosaic Law and you would know, it is not Christian.

The Apostle Paul had very little good to say about the Mosaic Law and explained over and over again that we are not of the law. The storyline of Acts tell of his struggle against the Judaizers. Christ removed us from the burden of the Law...a cruel and horrendous burden that you cannot understand until you know the Mosaic Law as a whole and put it in motion. Under the Law there was no salvation or path to heaven.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same Person.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
so you are saying that you are under the law ?
Where have I said that?! Nevertheless, I am not only claiming that I am <under the law>, BUT THAT I AM UNDER THE CURSE OF THE LAW BECAUSE I "CONTINUE NOT IN THE LAW".

Get it?

Now what is your claim? That you are innocent? That you do not want grace but have a righteousness your own?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where have I said that?! Nevertheless, I am not only claiming that I am <under the law>, BUT THAT I AM UNDER THE CURSE OF THE LAW BECAUSE I "CONTINUE NOT IN THE LAW".

Get it?

Now what is your claim? That you are innocent? That you do not want grace but have a righteousness your own?
I quoted the EXPERT on the LAW the Apostle Paul who said he was not under the law and neither were those he wrote to in Galatia.

next...............

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Get it?

If you have placed your trust in Christ, you are not under the curse of the law. It is written,

Gal 3:13, Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That is a very good point, Genesis 3:15. But, that was a concealed mystery until the time of Christ. Retrospectively, after the advent of Christ, it becomes somewhat clear, but again, this principle was never declared, intimated, or alluded to, by the Patriarchs. The prophets, yes, the Patriarchs no. Meaning, the prophets foreshadowed the New Law that was to come. Prior to that, the Old Covenant was in place starting from Moses. Faith was accounted to Abraham as righteousness, but not faith in the same principle as we must believe in today.
You are confusing faith as intrinsically meaning Christ. It doesn't, faith that saves is believing in whatever God tells you to believe in, at that specific time.

Maybe bad enough for a doctor's degree but no good for a no-good like I am.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The God of the Old Testament and the God of the New Testament are one and the same Person.
No matter how you look at it...there is an old covenant with God and a new covenant with God. The new covenant is not an addendum to the old covenant.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how you look at it...there is an old covenant with God and a new covenant with God. The new covenant is not an addendum to the old covenant.
If you want to be considered great in the kingdom by God, you will obey and teach the least of His commandments, referring to the Old Testament law (Matthew 5:17-20).

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And if you look to them as a guide to righteousness you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace.

Audacious conceitedness. The humble and righteous look at the Law of God to guide him in true righteousness, but you unlike God but better than the devil himself, tell the thirsty for the Word of God that <<if you look to them [Sic,] as a guide to righteousness you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace.>>, Sis man. You don't twist Paul's words, you place the devil's words in his mouth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Audacious conceitedness. The humble and righteous look at the Law of God to guide him in true righteousness, but you unlike God but better than the devil himself, tell the thirsty for the Word of God that <<if you look to them [Sic,] as a guide to righteousness you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace.>>, Sis man. You don't twist Paul's words, you place the devil's words in his mouth.
Here is the exact quote (from the kjv):

Gal 5:1, Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2, Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3, For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4, Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Long standing misconception.

The specifics get pretty long. And if you want to go into the specifics we can do that, but here ya go.

1. The number of the summery of laws given at Mount Sinai were 14, not ten. Exodus chapter 20. God never called these the Ten Commandments. They are a short summary of the laws that are fully defined in the main body of laws. There are 613 Mosaic Laws and it is sacrilegious to subdivide them.

2. The commandments that God actually called the Ten Commandments and told Moses to write them on the tablets are stated in Exodus 34:10-28

Of course then Paul explains in a couple dozen scriptures that we are no part of the Law. Pointing out that there is no salvation in them and describing them as a ministry of death. And if you look to them as a guide to righteousness you are severed from Christ and have fallen from grace. You cannot be in two covenants.

As the storyline of Acts goes it can be seen that one of Paul's major challenges was the judaizers that wanted to bring the Mosaic Law into Christianity and it is the reason for the first Christian Council in Jerusalem.

Beyond that there are a few strict Jewish laws that are state in the summery of laws stated at Mt. Sinai that Christians do not observe.
Graven images...statues, paintings, pictures, and television.
We do not keep the Sabbath...the Jewish Sabbath is Saturday.
Covet....our wives are not our property.
So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments. (Exodus 34:28)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread nor drank water. And He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments. (Exodus 34:28)
Exactly! Moses wrote the Ten Commandments that God gave him there. But they were not the ten summaries spoken in chapter 20

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I was growing up in mid-20th century America, the ten commandments were the standard of morality for Christians. My Southern Baptist grandmother often asked me to mow her lawn (about an acre). But she would never allow me to do it on Sunday.

Lately, I'm hearing more and more about a doctrine which states that the ten commandments were nailed to the cross and that the Holy Spirit has replaced them. I recently asked my very aged father about this and he said that he'd never even heard of such a thing.

What happened?
We ARE sin! We cannot escape ourselves, or our destruction, even if we keep 9 out of 10 commandments perfectly, except one.
To do so, is to have broken them all.
Yes, the 10 commandments are there for our well being, and through us, our neighbor's well being as well, even if he keeps none of them. All of them aid for a civil society and well being of the same.
However, the 10cs have NOTHING to do with our Salvation from the curse of eternal death. Only through belief in Jesus as our Mediator, through His Sacrifice as "the Lamb of God" , shall we receive reconciliation with God the Father. If we don't, we remain to be "condemned already". John 3:18

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read Deuteronomy 5 and specifically verse 22.
I you are thinking I do not know this!
The point is in fact there was confusion. The topic is about what happened.
But the fact is without a doubt, the only laws referred to by God as commandments as in the phrase "Ten Commandment" is in chapter 34. And it is those Commandments that God said He would form a covenant. And it is those commandments that were written on the tablets by Moses.