• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pre-existant souls affirmed this covenant alongside the incarnate people, I've never heard this idea before.
It may be a clue about what being born elect means. . . .
Regarding the 4th generations, remember that the Bible uses 'generation' a few different ways. There is more to the passage . . .

12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, a horror of great darkness fell upon him.
13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be sojourners in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 14 and also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance.
15 But thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
16 And in the fourth generation they shall come hither again; for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet full.

We're told that in the 4th generation they would come back again, but it also says that they would be afflicted there for 400 years.

They were not afflicted at first, it was only after Joseph was dead, and the Pharaoh was dead, and they were forgotten about. Then came 400 years of slavery. If you figure Joseph's grandchildren those who begin to be afflicted, you've got 2 generations from the 70 who went to Egypt, then maybe 20 childbearing generations during the slavery, that is, based on the generation who perished in the desert, those over 20 years old.

Then Moses is born. And when Moses is 80 years old, in the fourth generation of 20 years, God led them from Egypt.

So starting with 70, and approx. 26 generations, how many would that be?

Much love!
Why not take a second look?

Moses' ancestors are given here:

1 Chronicles 6:1 The sons of Levi; Gershon, Kohath, and Merari.
2 And the sons of Kohath; Amram, Izhar, and Hebron, and Uzziel.
3 And the children of Amram; Aaron, and Moses, and Miriam. The sons also of Aaron; Nadab, and Abihu, Eleazar, and Ithamar.

Levi -- Kohath -- Amram -- Moses

Look at how many generations there were between Judah and David.

Luke 3:31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,

It really does not say Abraham's children would be slaves in Egypt for 400 years. It says they would be aliens or strangers in land that wasn't their for 400 years. . . and serve them. It doesn't say they'll be slaves them the whole 400 years. They will be afflicted for 400 years however. They had problems before they got to Egypt. Isaac had his problems.

Genesis 15:13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years;

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But this is nonsense the point being that the children of God during the Old Dispensation were led out of Egypt by faith in Christ Jesus, so how could to break a moral injunction from the Decalogue that not even then existed, have disqualified any from God's Kingdom which "is his inheritance in the saints"?

So what utter nonsensicality is this, <<The - Old - Law made righteous those who followed it while under the Old Law. Today, it would>>? And you even wrote this humbug on a Christian forum?!
No, the Law was the righteousness of those who followed it. Those who broke its precepts, were condemned according to it.
Not a single Israelite who left Egypt during the Exodus, had even heard of Jesus Christ, nor had the slightest notion of the salvific nature of faith.
Only in retrospect do we see the unfolding mystery of God and appreciate the shadows, but at the time that these things occurred in the past, all were oblivious to the Messiaship of Jesus and the principle of faith unto salvation.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Would there not be an intrinsic moral value to simply obeying God because you recognise His authority over you?
Hi BL, ....that is not the question at hand. We are trying to determine what has been abolished, and what hasn't. I will gladly abide by the demands of the Sabbath, if I were convinced that it was not abrogated with the advent of Christ. Paul went through great lengths and much consternation, trying to remove the yoke from believers that the Judaizers were trying to impose upon them. The Law, in all it's forms of ritual, regiment and worship, was temporal and meant to be abolished after it served its purpose, and once that which was better had come.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I read the epistles it’s apparent to me that the apostles of Christ, were approaching nations of peoples who had no idea who God was let alone what the Ten Commandments were. Think mars hill.

the way I understand, God gave the commands to Israel, I’ve never in prayer or in daily fellowship been encouraged from God to be in obedience to the commands, but I’ve had plenty of church goin folk to tell me what God expects of me.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 5:17, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18, For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 5:17, Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18, For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19, Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20, For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Till all be fulfilled, in my opinion is key.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 19:30 KJV
[30] When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
What is, it???

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16:17 KJV
[17] And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
bam!!! Heaven and earth just passed away

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16:17 KJV
[17] And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

2 Corinthians 5:17 KJV
[17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
bam!!! Heaven and earth just passed away
Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<<Paul also taught us the spirit of the law when he informed us that "every day is the sabbath'.>> Blasphemy! YOU QUOTE PAUL!

<The Holy Spirit/law written upon our heart guides us to keep the spirit of the law. The letter of the law is for the immature>> Another BLASPHEMY! "EVERY prophecy", that is, every WORD OF SCRIPTURE, "is Holy Spirit OF GOD breathed". <<the spirit of the law>> and <<the letter of the law>> is identical and the very same WORD OF GOD. But YOU put them in opposition and contradiction and CONFUSION OF THE DEVIL.

Paul makes it clear in Romans 14 that such concerns about certain days to worship, as well as abstaining from certain foods is for “ weak” Believers......Those whose Faith is stronger have to put up with their weaker brethren .....we “ endure” them , but we don’t let them Rule the Church....

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No, the Law was the righteousness of those who followed it. Those who broke its precepts, were condemned according to it.
Not a single Israelite who left Egypt during the Exodus, had even heard of Jesus Christ, nor had the slightest notion of the salvific nature of faith.
Only in retrospect do we see the unfolding mystery of God and appreciate the shadows, but at the time that these things occurred in the past, all were oblivious to the Messiaship of Jesus and the principle of faith unto salvation.

Vain pride. You are no better than <a single Israelite>. NONE ever has been saved but by GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN THE ONLY NAME GIVEN UNDER THE SUN. It is you who have not <the slightest notion of the salvific nature of faith>. Any Israelite knew and believed better than you.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One who turns away his ear from hearing the law, Even his prayer is an abomination. (Proverbs 28:9)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul explains the purpose of the LAW below :

Gal 3:10-14

For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.” 11 Now that no one is justified the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “He who practices them shall live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal 3:23-26
But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: mailmandan

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Paul explains the purpose of the LAW below :

Gal 3:10-14

For as many as are of the works of the Law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them.” 11 Now that no one is justified the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.” 12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, “He who practices them shall live by them.” 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Gal 3:23-26
But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed. 24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

hope this helps !!!
@Christophany We have by faith now moved on from the law... :)

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Vain pride. You are no better than <a single Israelite>. NONE ever has been saved but by GRACE THROUGH FAITH IN THE ONLY NAME GIVEN UNDER THE SUN. It is you who have not <the slightest notion of the salvific nature of faith>. Any Israelite knew and believed better than you.
Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph & Moses, never once uttered the words Jesus Christ out of their mouths. Nor did any of their contemporaries.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<<Paul also taught us the spirit of the law when he informed us that "every day is the sabbath'.>> Blasphemy! YOU QUOTE PAUL!

<The Holy Spirit/law written upon our heart guides us to keep the spirit of the law. The letter of the law is for the immature>> Another BLASPHEMY! "EVERY prophecy", that is, every WORD OF SCRIPTURE, "is Holy Spirit OF GOD breathed". <<the spirit of the law>> and <<the letter of the law>> is identical and the very same WORD OF GOD. But YOU put them in opposition and contradiction and CONFUSION OF THE DEVIL.

The Law was given so that “ Sin might increase”......Why do you want to see an increase in sin?
Paul said the Law was “ useless”—- it has no Power. The Power is in Grace.Ever Hear Of it ? You never seem to mention it in your Alarmist posts ....