The Unity Thread

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personal responsibility for what? Salvation? Unity?

Christianity is not antisocial - that’s the culture of prison

For spreading the trash that leads to disunity in the first place. All the blame can't be put on Satan for it. All he does is whisper thoughts in your ear, and we take his trash and run with it. His steaming pile of garbage, of disinformation becomes doctrine, and the rest is history. Your imagined "body of Christ" will either own up to it, or it won't. It takes itself seriously, but I'm sure Satan is laughing right now with his devil gang for the job he has done. He is sure as hell living up to his name as the father of lies.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't think it's where He wants it to be with the division we're experiencing. There is one big difference between what you're saying and what it should be. The body is made up of many different members that do different things, but they all have one common goal, and are controlled by the thoughts and intents of the same head. In the Body of Christ, Jesus is our head. So even though we have many different local churches that serve different purposes, we should all be unified by the same Head (Christ) who directs all of our paths toward a common goal. You may not look or operate like me, spiritually, and that's ok. Not everyone is an eye or an ear. We all have different purposes, but we're all a part of the same body moving in the same overall direction.

I agree in the one mind, which is the mind of Christ. Lead and steered by the One head, which is Christ. Division doesn't mean division of His body. But His body can be dispersed within the many divisions and Man-made(presently exalted) Kingdoms. Anything that exalts itself is coming down. We(His) are all unified in one common thing, being trodden under foot. Luke 14:34-35
[34] Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned? [35] It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; but men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

What will make us different when we rule will be the heart with which we rule from, which will be a heart full of mercy and grace and long-suffering and patience and righteousness. His Heart. Those fruits, we are also unified in, through present sufferings and afflictions of the body. As the Head, so will be the body through sacrifice for a brother.

Philippians 1:23-24
[23] For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: [24] Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Reactions: forrestcupp

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:) One mans trash is not another mans responsibility to pick up. Christianity is about personal responsibility. If you spread trash, and you know its trash, then clean it up. If more of these YouTube "ministries" lived by that principle for instance, they wouldn't be making the faith and themselves out to be absolute foolishness. Of course, the trash comes from a multitude of sources than just YouTube, but it is a shining example. You stay in your lane, I'll stay in mine.
A Lone Ranger philosophy...

James 5:19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

The Bible has a lot to say about brothers and sisters in Christ helping each other through life. I agree that we should take responsibility for ourselves, but there are times when we all need a little support. It's really tough to make it as a Lone Ranger.

For spreading the trash that leads to disunity in the first place. All the blame can't be put on Satan for it. All he does is whisper thoughts in your ear, and we take his trash and run with it. His steaming pile of garbage, of disinformation becomes doctrine, and the rest is history. Your imagined "body of Christ" will either own up to it, or it won't. It takes itself seriously, but I'm sure Satan is laughing right now with his devil gang for the job he has done. He is sure as hell living up to his name as the father of lies.
The Bible talks a lot about the Body of Christ. So you really think it's "imagined"? Are you one of those people who don't put much stock in what the Bible says, or am I misunderstanding you?

Reactions: aspen and amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible has a lot to say about brothers and sisters in Christ helping each other through life. I agree that we should take responsibility for ourselves, but there are times when we all need a little support. It's really tough to make it as a Lone Ranger.

Very true.
And...just look at this thread now.
It doesn't take long before it becomes a 'who is right' thread just like all the others on the site.

Anyway...thank you for starting it....at least it has kinda shown who understood the heart of what you were/are saying and who did/does not. :D

Reactions: forrestcupp
B

brakelite

My son-in-law related to me the other night a conversation he had with an old friend of his from school. This friend is a pastor (which fact alone was enough to shock my SIL) and challenged everyone in the room by asking...which of you belongs to a church where there is no-one in need. He repeated this several times, making doubly sure everyone truly considered it seriously. There was not one person who could say that they belonged to a church where no-one was struggling, where no-one was in need of something. The pastor friend then looked at everyone, paused, and said, "I do". "My church has no-one in need. Not one person. When anyone is behind in rent, the church (that is all members contributing) pays the rent. When someone is short of food, everyone puts in to buy food...usually enough to last at least several weeks. If someone's car breaks down, and they cannot afford to pay for repairs, the church solves the problem. No-one is in need."
That is unity. That is love. But to get to that point, they need Jesus. They need to be totally honest with one another...transparent. Humble enough to admit to the troubles they are having. Trusting enough not to fear exclusion or condemnation. Just the the early church where they "had all things in common". The early church started off by "being in one accord in prayer and supplication". (Acts 1:14). There is the beginning to unity. Prayer. Intercessary prayer for one another, and for the lost. It begins by being one with Christ.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right, pride equals need. We have not because we're ashamed to have troubles. We don't want to say that we're really human and subject to failures, need and lack.

My neighbors and family would be shocked if I told them about the past three months! You too. But... In the name of faith we trust God who has supplied every need and a few small wants.

Reactions: amadeus

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Lone Ranger philosophy...

James 5:19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
James 5:20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.

Yeah, I have enough of a burden on my life. I don't need anyone else's burdens. As far as I recall, scripture also states to put your 'burdens' on the Lord, and thats exactly what I have been doing. I know he can handle it, I really can't say the same for you or anyone else. I'll trust God with my 'burdens' before I trust anyone else.

(Psalms 55:22) "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."

(1 Peter 5:6-7) "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: {7} Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

The Bible talks a lot about the Body of Christ. So you really think it's "imagined"? Are you one of those people who don't put much stock in what the Bible says, or am I misunderstanding you?

I believe there exists a body of Christ to some degree, but it clearly doesn't exist to the extent that God intended.

forrestcupp

Feb 10, 2013
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My son-in-law related to me the other night a conversation he had with an old friend of his from school. This friend is a pastor (which fact alone was enough to shock my SIL) and challenged everyone in the room by asking...which of you belongs to a church where there is no-one in need. He repeated this several times, making doubly sure everyone truly considered it seriously. There was not one person who could say that they belonged to a church where no-one was struggling, where no-one was in need of something. The pastor friend then looked at everyone, paused, and said, "I do". "My church has no-one in need. Not one person. When anyone is behind in rent, the church (that is all members contributing) pays the rent. When someone is short of food, everyone puts in to buy food...usually enough to last at least several weeks. If someone's car breaks down, and they cannot afford to pay for repairs, the church solves the problem. No-one is in need."
That is unity. That is love. But to get to that point, they need Jesus. They need to be totally honest with one another...transparent. Humble enough to admit to the troubles they are having. Trusting enough not to fear exclusion or condemnation. Just the the early church where they "had all things in common". The early church started off by "being in one accord in prayer and supplication". (Acts 1:14). There is the beginning to unity. Prayer. Intercessary prayer for one another, and for the lost. It begins by being one with Christ.
That's a great concept, but it doesn't always work out in practicality. Like my church, for instance, is made up of a majority of low income people. We don't even collectively have the finances to do what you're talking about there. I wish we did. If we did, I'm sure we would have the heart to do what you're saying. As it is, we do what we can, and give each other moral and prayer support when we can't do more than that.

Yeah, I have enough of a burden on my life. I don't need anyone else's burdens. As far as I recall, scripture also states to put your 'burdens' on the Lord, and thats exactly what I have been doing. I know he can handle it, I really can't say the same for you or anyone else. I'll trust God with my 'burdens' before I trust anyone else.
I get what you're saying. But you can't toss out some scriptures just because of that. Sometimes it's nice to know we have brothers and sisters who care.

I believe there exists a body of Christ to some degree, but it clearly doesn't exist to the extent that God intended.
I definitely agree we're not where God intended for us to be. But I believe you're underestimating the Body of Christ. I also strongly believe that we should do our part to make things better instead of refusing to do anything because it's not where God intended for it to be.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get what you're saying. But you can't toss out some scriptures just because of that. Sometimes it's nice to know we have brothers and sisters who care.

Well of course, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that there are other fleshly beings who are like minded and care about you, sure. But lets not get it twisted, it is better to put your trust in the Lord than man, because God never fails.

I definitely agree we're not where God intended for us to be. But I believe you're underestimating the Body of Christ. I also strongly believe that we should do our part to make things better instead of refusing to do anything because it's not where God intended for it to be.

Not underestimating God at all. We all know he wins in the end by the sure word of prophecy. The "body of Christ" will rise and fulfill its role when it will matter the most. Satan's power to deceive doesn't trump the power and sovereignty of God.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago during the revival of the 70's and 80's we attended a church much like that one. It was wonderful.

Once a black man from South America came into our services. He'd been directed to us by other pastors that thought we were more able to help with his kind of problems.

Those pastors churches were of denominational hues and were really just sending us the "children of a lesser God". They were racist and selective in deciding who really deserved help. Sad but true. Our church, the Christian Center in Levy, North Little Rock, welcomed every race and every person regardless of anything.

The man had come to America with his wife and shortly after arriving she gave birth to a little son. Sadly his wife died at childbirth or shortly afterwards. He was devastated of course and sought help among Christians. Some of the Christian helpers even set about to try and get his son away from him! Of course the various state social services wanted to get their hands on the baby too.

Instead of being helpers, these religious sharks only hurt him. They'd give him a little money and urge him away. Not helping him at all. He spoke English but not very well. That night we received offerings for him. We took in enough money to buy his plane and travel expense back to his South American country and for a little nest egg beyond that.

The entire church gathered around him and prayed for the two of them. We were overjoyed to be able to help this needy fellow. I miss those days and have not seen those type things since.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

That's a great concept, but it doesn't always work out in practicality. Like my church, for instance, is made up of a majority of low income people. We don't even collectively have the finances to do what you're talking about there. I wish we did. If we did, I'm sure we would have the heart to do what you're saying. As it is, we do what we can, and give each other moral and prayer support when we can't do more than that.
Yes, we can only do that we are able. Then God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves. Of course the early church sold their extra land and property because they were expecting the Lord's soon coming. Now they were wrong about the event, but when they escaped Jerusalem before its destruction it was good that they had no material possessions to hold them back.
Before the second coming, when the real crisis hits us before hand, we are going to have to do the same. No sense on hanging on to something that will soon be burnt up. Best to sell, give the proceeds to those brothers and sisters who need debts paid etc (keeping them out of jail..when the crunch hits the authorities will use any excuse to throw Christians to the lions) and the rest to missions. (BTW, my advice to anyone reading this...get out of debt now.)

Reactions: Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago during the revival of the 70's and 80's we attended a church much like that one. It was wonderful.

Once a black man from South America came into our services. He'd been directed to us by other pastors that thought we were more able to help with his kind of problems.

Those pastors churches were of denominational hues and were really just sending us the "children of a lesser God". They were racist and selective in deciding who really deserved help. Sad but true. Our church, the Christian Center in Levy, North Little Rock, welcomed every race and every person regardless of anything.

The man had come to America with his wife and shortly after arriving she gave birth to a little son. Sadly his wife died at childbirth or shortly afterwards. He was devastated of course and sought help among Christians. Some of the Christian helpers even set about to try and get his son away from him! Of course the various state social services wanted to get their hands on the baby too.

Instead of being helpers, these religious sharks only hurt him. They'd give him a little money and urge him away. Not helping him at all. He spoke English but not very well. That night we received offerings for him. We took in enough money to buy his plane and travel expense back to his South American country and for a little nest egg beyond that.

The entire church gathered around him and prayed for the two of them. We were overjoyed to be able to help this needy fellow. I miss those days and have not seen those type things since.

Sad But True!! Remember, Even the Dogs Eat of the Crumb's that fall from the Kings Table- Our Savior did not turn His Back on that Woman!!

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus still walks where the denominations don't go. His church walks wherever He sends them.
Ezekiel 34:6 NASB
My flock wandered through all the mountains and on every high hill; My flock was scattered over all the surface of the earth, and there was no one to search or seek for them."'"

Reach out and touch!

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-23-19-14-53-332x307.png

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-23-19-16-47-418x302.png

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-23-19-21-13-652x371.jpg

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-23-19-18-03-619x504.png