The Upward Path

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Shortened Cross

A pilgrim was making his way to the Promised Land. He was carrying his masters cross, a burden he cheerfully accepted.
Becoming weary, the pilgrim paused to rest.
As he basked in the sunlight, he watched a woodsman nearby hew a tree of the forrest.
"Good friend" called the pilgrim, " May I use your ax to shorten my cross? As I journey, it grows heavier ."
"indeed", cried the woodsman, and without hesitation, he obliged.

The pilgrim traveled on, making much progress. The cross was shorter now, and his burden lighter.
In no time at all, the Promised Land was in sight.
Drawing near , he saw that a deep gulf separated him from the glories beyond.
He would use the cross to span the divide.
Though he struggled mightily to span the divide with the cross, it fell short by the very amount that he had removed.
Suddenly, with tears streaming down his face, he awoke, it had all been a dream.
Clutching the cross to his breast , the pilgrim pressed on.

This cross was just as heavy, but it's burden was lighter.

Lawson Falle

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.--Robert Frost

People tend to want to follow the beaten path. The difficulty is that the beaten path doesn’t seem to be leading anywhere.--Charles M. Mathias

If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t go anywhere. --~Unknown

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Forasmuch ... as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death. that is, the devil. — And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them. — I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Shortened Cross

A pilgrim was making his way to the Promised Land. He was carrying his masters cross, a burden he cheerfully accepted.
Becoming weary, the pilgrim paused to rest.
As he basked in the sunlight, he watched a woodsman nearby hew a tree of the forrest.
"Good friend" called the pilgrim, " May I use your ax to shorten my cross? As I journey, it grows heavier ."
"indeed", cried the woodsman, and without hesitation, he obliged.

The pilgrim traveled on, making much progress. The cross was shorter now, and his burden lighter.
In no time at all, the Promised Land was in sight.
Drawing near , he saw that a deep gulf separated him from the glories beyond.
He would use the cross to span the divide.
Though he struggled mightily to span the divide with the cross, it fell short by the very amount that he had removed.
Suddenly, with tears streaming down his face, he awoke, it had all been a dream.
Clutching the cross to his breast , the pilgrim pressed on.

This cross was just as heavy, but it's burden was lighter.

Lawson Falle
I must admit, I never had to carry the cross, It was and is His good pleasure to do it for me.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@mjrhealth
hmmm I beg to differ , though I know what you mean.

When I was still in the church groups ..I never trusted a leader who did not "limp"..had not wrestled with God and be 'touched' in his walk.

Same with the cross...all my mentors were wonderful...and I could "see the cross" in the life and walk.
Others, to me..have no right to be in leadership. They show no "fingerprints" of God upon their lives.

This is how I "judge by their fruit".

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When we get into a tight place and everything goes against us, till it seems as though we could not hang on a minute longer, we never give up even then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No matter what you face today, you do not face it alone.
What feels so big and powerful and hard gets smaller and weaker and easier when God steps into the situation. Invite Him to whatever you are dealing with. Ask Him to overwhelm you with His provision and presence today. He will be the strength you need.

God, when my heart is overwhelmed, overwhelm me with your comfort.
Cause me to find Your rest in the truth that Your peace will overcome all things.

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter what you face today, you do not face it alone.
What feels so big and powerful and hard gets smaller and weaker and easier when God steps into the situation. Invite Him to whatever you are dealing with. Ask Him to overwhelm you with His provision and presence today. He will be the strength you need.

God, when my heart is overwhelmed, overwhelm me with your comfort.
Cause me to find Your rest in the truth that Your peace will overcome all things.
Awesome post, Helen. Sounds like so many of the messages I'd get from my dear aunt so often at night or early mornings. We grew so close in the last few years discussing doctrines, love, and God in general. She was an amazingly strong but gentle person so full of biblical knowledge and always sharing. Sad I only figured this out a few short years ago. She's missed as we lost her to cancer two months ago.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Awesome post, Helen. Sounds like so many of the messages I'd get from my dear aunt so often at night or early mornings. We grew so close in the last few years discussing doctrines, love, and God in general. She was an amazingly strong but gentle person so full of biblical knowledge and always sharing. Sad I only figured this out a few short years ago. She's missed as we lost her to cancer two months ago.

Long time no see.
Maybe you have been on here browsing, but a long time since you have posted.
The Site gets somewhat swamped with negative argumentative posts when good people like yourself stay silent!!

Sorry to hear that your aunt has left you...hers is the better place.
So many good strong saints are leaving this world....and the world is a darker sadder place for their passing.
While we are in the world we can be light and life.

" Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." Ps 116:15

I like the obscure scripture in Isaiah 57:1
"The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come." :)

Our loss, but their gain. ...

Bless you. Don't leave it too long. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Light of the world stepped down into our darkness so we would have the light of life! If your world is gloomy, look up to His radiance today. He came so you would walk in the light and have fellowship with Him and one another.

Light of the World, Jesus, thank You for taking away the darkness of fear and giving us the light of hope. Amen.

~ J.R.~

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith in Christ invites us to renounce perfection because faith lets us receive God’s provision instead.
God created us. He is perfect, not us!
When we rest in Him and in whom He made us to be, it’s easier to loosen our grip of perfectionism.
When we let go of our need to be perfect, we receive far more satisfaction than our striving can offer..........we receive the perfect love of God that has never given up on us.

Today we rest in Him. Let God be perfect.

We know that His perfect amazing grace carries us.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you ever wish God would give you a formula for exactly what He expects from you? I think we all find ourselves asking Him sometimes, “Is that good enough? Is that the formula? Is that what You expect from me?”

We may be focused on our “to do” lists, but God is focused on our hearts. He desires friendship over formulas, and that’s why He invites us to walk humbly with Him. When we walk with God, more focused on His love than our list, the natural outgrowth is just and loving actions. And that’s what God desires because that is what brings us the most blessing.

~ J. R. ~

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Do you ever wish God would give you a formula for exactly what He expects from you? I think we all find ourselves asking Him sometimes, “Is that good enough? Is that the formula? Is that what You expect from me?”

We may be focused on our “to do” lists, but God is focused on our hearts. He desires friendship over formulas, and that’s why He invites us to walk humbly with Him. When we walk with God, more focused on His love than our list, the natural outgrowth is just and loving actions. And that’s what God desires because that is what brings us the most blessing.

~ J. R. ~

can we just be focused on

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Many of us cannot be used to become food for the world’s hunger until we are broken in Christ’s hands. “Bread corn is bruised.” Christ’s blessing ofttimes means sorrow, but even sorrow is not too great a price to pay for the privilege of touching other lives with benediction. The sweetest things in this world today have come to us through tears and pain."
—J. R. Miller

Joseph was bruised and beaten and had to go through Potiphar’s kitchen and Egypt’s prison to get to his throne.

Someone wise said:-
“We must burn out before we can give out. We cease to bless when we cease to bleed.”

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sadly a lesson that I am not learning quickly. :oops:
One step forward and two back! :rolleyes:

< "You can’t control other people, but you can control your own attitude.
Your attitude is your best weapon ... it’s your secret superpower! So, ask God’s Holy Spirit to empower you with self-control.

Lord, let the fruit of self-control blossom in me. I need the fruit of Your Spirit to be big in my life today. Grant me patience, love, meekness, and kindness. Amen." >