The Upward Path

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

Feelings aren’t always the same things as facts. They might feel real, but that doesn’t mean they always correspond with reality.

I’m not saying that we throw our feelings out and discount them. No Emotions are important and a gift from God. But because they can be very powerful and very present, it’s easy to believe they represent facts!

So, when our emotions get squirrely every now and then, we can apply 2 Corinthians 10:5, “Hold every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.”
We can - Grab that feeling and make it agree with Truth!

What a great collection of thoughts you have. Thanks for sharing them!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What a great collection of thoughts you have. Thanks for sharing them!

Emotions and feelings so often lie to us ...it seems to be taking all my life to learn how to bring my thoughts into the captivity of Christ.

Where health is concerned, I so often have to grab the fact of pain, (or anything else that is trying to derail) and declare the truth Of God in the face of it!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He giveth more grace when the burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength when the labors increase,
To added affliction He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials, His multiplied peace.

His love has no limit, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men,
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus,
He giveth and giveth and giveth again.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half-done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources,
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

~Annie J. Flint ~

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
~ Ann Voskamp ~

No matter how bad yesterday went or how impossible today feels or how overwhelming tomorrow looks?
Always -- Just these three words:
God. is. Greater.

It's going to be okay --- promise.

Nothing is a surprise To God.
Nothing is a problem For God.
Nothing is a mistake By God.
*Anything is possible With God.*

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Here, in this new day, God is the governor: God is the
Lord and Master of this day, — not my bank account,
not my job, not my family, not my friends, but God....HE
controls the issues of the day.

God governs and rules the day.
God is the power that never slumbers and never sleeps.
God is omnipresent with me throughout my slumbers and never sleeps.

God is omnipresent with me throughout my slumbers and my rest.
God is resting me even if I cannot sleep.”
~JG ~

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When we let God be God than God can do God things, when we bind His hands, gag His mouth, put shackles on His feet, and put Him in a box, than not even He can do anything.

Never the less , not my will but your will be done.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
" I have always felt so sorry that in that walk to Emmaus the disciples had not said to Jesus , “We still trust”; instead of “We trusted.” That is so sad— something that is all over.

If they had only said, “Everything is against our hope; it looks as if our trust was vain, but we do not give up; we believe we shall see Him again.” But no, they walked by His side declaring their lost faith, and He had to say to them “O fools, and slow of heart to believe!”

Are we not in the same danger of having these words said to us? We can afford to lose anything and everything if we do not lose our faith in the God of truth and love.

Let us never put our faith, as these disciples did, in a past tense—“We trusted.” But let us ever say, “I am trusting.”

~ Crumbs ~

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
One day John Wesley was walking with a very troubled man who expressed his doubt in the goodness of God. The man said- " I just don't know what I shall do with all this worry.."
Wesley saw a cow in a field looking over a stone wall.
Wesley said.."Do you know why that cow is looking over the wall?"
"No said the worried man, I don't."
Wesley said.."The cow is looking over the wall because she cannot look through it. And that is just what you must do with your wall of worry, look over it and above it, as she is."

Faith enables us to get above our circumstances and look at Christ, who is over all things!

" Looking unto Jesus..."
I wonder whether Jesus's disciples or any of his friends for that matter called him 'Christ'?
It seems such an impersonal and removed term to me; as odd as calling your friend by a title particularly seeing Jesus's intention was to break down unnecessary barriers.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder whether Jesus's disciples or any of his friends for that matter called him 'Christ'?
It seems such an impersonal and removed term to me; as odd as calling your friend by a title particularly seeing Jesus's intention was to break down unnecessary barriers.

Good point..you are right of course. Agree. Christ means "The Anointed one".

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is not Christ more of His title, like Messiah?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Father..., without You I can do nothing.
You are the vine, I am the branch. Keep me close to You and let Your sweet life be mine. I need You today and every day. Amen.

“…the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you" Deuteronomy 31:6.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
TRUST-

We enter the battle of life knowing that we are going to win. This gives us confidence in the fight.
The end is secure for everyone.
We fight BECAUSE we know the outcome. It's a lot easier to battle when you know you're going to win. The reason people do not trust God is because they don't know what God is really like.
It must be a personal knowledge.
You can't live on a borrowed revelation of the Father.

If you can't find God, let Him find you.

R.S.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deep Grief
by Chuck Swindoll

1 Corinthians 10:11-13

"The past couple of weeks have been some of the toughest of my life. My emotions have spanned the spectrum: shock, sorrow, horror, intense anger, disillusionment, disappointment, and utter bewilderment. I have prayed—without much benefit. I have read the Scriptures from the Psalms and Proverbs to the words of Jesus and various sections of the letters from Paul, Peter, James—without much peace.

I feel like Job, who admitted, "If I speak, my pain is not lessened, And if I hold back, what has left me? . . . He has exhausted me . . . . My spirit is broken" (Job 16:6-7; 17:1).

It occurred to me around 4:20 this morning that perhaps the late, great Spurgeon might have understood my grief better than any other when he wrote over a century ago in his Lectures to My Students, in a chapter entitled "The Minister's Fainting Fits":

Who can bear the weight of souls without sometimes sinking to the dust? . . . To see the hopeful turn aside, the godly grow cold, professors [and pastors] abusing their privileges, and sinners waxing more bold in sin—are not these sights enough to crush us to the earth? . . .

The lesson of wisdom is, be not dismayed by soul-trouble. Count it no strange thing, but a part of ordinary ministerial experience . . . . Live by the day, by the hour . . . . Be not surprised when men fail you; it is a failing world . . . . Be content to be nothing, for that is what you are.

No longer should we be saying that "perilous times will come." They have arrived, fellow pilgrim; they are now. And we must face them head-on, doing whatever is necessary to stand firm.

As Carl Henry wrote so eloquently in Twilight of a Great Civilization:

We may even now live in the half generation before all hell breaks loose, and if its fury is contained we will be remembered, if we are remembered at all, as those who used their hands and hearts and minds and very bodies to plug the dikes against impending doom.

The secret of standing in treacherous times is being willing to "take heed" lest we also fall."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Deep Grief
by Chuck Swindoll

1 Corinthians 10:11-13

"The past couple of weeks have been some of the toughest of my life. My emotions have spanned the spectrum: shock, sorrow, horror, intense anger, disillusionment, disappointment, and utter bewilderment. I have prayed—without much benefit. I have read the Scriptures from the Psalms and Proverbs to the words of Jesus and various sections of the letters from Paul, Peter, James—without much peace.

I feel like Job, who admitted, "If I speak, my pain is not lessened, And if I hold back, what has left me? . . . He has exhausted me . . . . My spirit is broken" (Job 16:6-7; 17:1).

It occurred to me around 4:20 this morning that perhaps the late, great Spurgeon might have understood my grief better than any other when he wrote over a century ago in his Lectures to My Students, in a chapter entitled "The Minister's Fainting Fits":

Who can bear the weight of souls without sometimes sinking to the dust? . . . To see the hopeful turn aside, the godly grow cold, professors [and pastors] abusing their privileges, and sinners waxing more bold in sin—are not these sights enough to crush us to the earth? . . .

The lesson of wisdom is, be not dismayed by soul-trouble. Count it no strange thing, but a part of ordinary ministerial experience . . . . Live by the day, by the hour . . . . Be not surprised when men fail you; it is a failing world . . . . Be content to be nothing, for that is what you are.

No longer should we be saying that "perilous times will come." They have arrived, fellow pilgrim; they are now. And we must face them head-on, doing whatever is necessary to stand firm.

As Carl Henry wrote so eloquently in Twilight of a Great Civilization:

We may even now live in the half generation before all hell breaks loose, and if its fury is contained we will be remembered, if we are remembered at all, as those who used their hands and hearts and minds and very bodies to plug the dikes against impending doom.

The secret of standing in treacherous times is being willing to "take heed" lest we also fall."

Goodness Nancy...I am sitting here crying...can't see the keyboard through the blurry eyes.

What a lovely timely post. x

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Eph 6 .”Stand ... having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breast-plate of righteousness. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. “

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh dear...not sure how I got so many above!!! Or maybe the Lord wanted it said more than once!! :D

I am afraid that if I delete it..it was ALL get deleted..sorry about the repeat..