The word “HAS”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
So you're accusing God's word of being illogical? Interesting. Here it is again. Read carefully. The words are plain enough:

1Jn 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us.

Mat 7:22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'
Mat 7:23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

I did not say those verse were not true. Rather you use those verses to deny what others show, so you would be the one saying the scriptures are illogical! ^_^

Here is a verse that explains how both those things are true.

For he who lacks these things [virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love] is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
[sup]10[/sup] Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;

It does not say 'he was NEVER cleansed', it says he was, but has forgotten, and it does not say he never walked, but rather stumbled.

The man who 'was never of us' had faith, initially, but he was not of us because he did not add the character of Christ to his faith. In that sense, he was never of us, and Jesus never knew him, because they were never alike. But that man WAS cleansed from his old sins.

Your view comes from the fact that you believe christianity to be a finish line, rather than a starting line. When we become Christian, it is the beginning of a transformation, and of the putting on of the Lord Jesus. Those who begin but do not finish did indeed begin, but they were unfaithful servants, and walked according to the ways of the enemy.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He (God) picked us up as unclean uncut diamonds in the rough (past), He cuts, cleans and polishes us (present ), He will present us as a completed gem (future).

'He' is the point. The problem comes when we try to interject ourself into the pie and pull out our thumb to say "Oh, what a good boy am I!!"

Again...

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain. O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
(Gal 2:19-3:3)

Notice... 'dead to the law'; 'crucified with Christ'; 'gave Himself for me'; 'evidently set forth, crucified among you';

all mixed in with our walk..

'that I might live unto God'; 'nevertheless I live'; 'yet not I, but Christ liveth in me'; 'having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?'

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
He is the saviour, He gives grace, by Him we are reconciled, by His power we walk. But we walk. The danger is when we look at what God does and say 'I don't have to do anything'.

Colossians 1:24
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,

If WE suffer with him, we will also be glorified with him. Christ is given us as an example. Jesus says 'Abide in me, and I in you', and James says 'draw near to him, and he will draw near to you'. We have a part to play!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
The word “HAS” (meaning it HAS already been accomplished)

2 Corinthians 5:1-8
5 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven,
3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked.
4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.
5 Now He who HAS prepared us for this very thing is God, who also HAS given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.
NKJV

Galatians 3:21-22
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.
22 But the Scripture HAS confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
NKJV

Galatians 4:4-7
4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law,
5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.
6 And because you are sons, God HAS sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"
7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
NKJV

Galatians 5:1-4
5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ HAS made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.
NKJV

Ephesians 1:3-7
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who HAS blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
NKJV

Colossians 1:12-14
12 giving thanks to the Father who HAS qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
13 He HAS delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,
14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
NKJV

Colossians 2:13-14
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He HAS made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He HAS taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
NKJV

According to the scriptures those who place all their belief, faith, trust and confidence in the work of Jesus on the cross have been saved. -- (have been = has = accomplished)

There is no such thing as progressive salvation.

Hi Richard

Thank you for bringing our attention to the word "has" it certainly carries with it considerable weight.

It appears not one of us can question the confidence the Father has toward the redeeming of His jewels in that day; and whoever they be, if indeed we are found acceptable and worthy in His sight, we will be like him. 1 John 3:2,3

No one can question the work of 2 Cor 5:19 and what He achieved through His beloved Son.

However the sin of our unbelief will always reside with us and how we respond to that work.

Example:

For we have come to share in Christ, "if" indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. Heb 3:14 (FREE WILL)

And maybe you could consider the lovely phrase "Let us" in Heb 4:16KJV Heb 10:19KJV (FREE WILL)

And Paul sought to continually encourage the believers to give themselves over to thier love. Heb 6:11 (FREE WILL)

And they that "keepeth my works unto the end" Rev 2:26. (FREE WILL)

Also see 1 John 4:17 "May" have confidence... (FREE WILL)

This below comment of Nomad's, while I understand his intention, I believe it needs further consideration.

No, we have nothing to do with it. Salvation is all of God from A to Z. We are recipients of grace without merit. Even the faith with which you believe unto salvation is granted by God.

Of course, if this were true, then all people would be saved in that day and we know this is not so. Rather than me continuing, I would be interested in your opinion Richard and others as to exactly what is our involvment is in the process of "being saved".

Nomad states nothing at all - - any thoughts?

Insight

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Hi Richard

Thank you for bringing our attention to the word "has" it certainly carries with it considerable weight.

It appears not one of us can question the confidence the Father has toward the redeeming of His jewels in that day; and whoever they be, if indeed we are found acceptable and worthy in His sight, we will be like him. 1 John 3:2,3

No one can question the work of 2 Cor 5:19 and what He achieved through His beloved Son.

However the sin of our unbelief will always reside with us and how we respond to that work.

Example:

For we have come to share in Christ, "if" indeed we hold our original confidence firm to the end. Heb 3:14 (FREE WILL)

And maybe you could consider the lovely phrase "Let us" in Heb 4:16KJV Heb 10:19KJV (FREE WILL)

And Paul sought to continually encourage the believers to give themselves over to thier love. Heb 6:11 (FREE WILL)

And they that "keepeth my works unto the end" Rev 2:26. (FREE WILL)

Also see 1 John 4:17 "May" have confidence... (FREE WILL)

This below comment of Nomad's, while I understand his intention, I believe it needs further consideration.

[/b]

Of course, if this were true, then all people would be saved in that day and we know this is not so. Rather than me continuing, I would be interested in your opinion Richard and others as to exactly what is our involvment is in the process of "being saved".

Nomad states nothing at all - - any thoughts?

Insight

We respond by placing (from the heart) our belief, faith, trust, and confidence in the work of God (Jesus) on the cross. It is this belief, faith, trust and confidence in the work of God that over comes the world for the believer.

The shed blood of Jesus will not save anyone that does not believe that it does.

You words about free will do not negate that what God HAS called clean let no man call un-clean. The word HAS was written by inspiration of the HolySpirit and I will believe that it means what it says. -- The children of God are kept by the power of God, not by the man. Salvation is already a done deal for the true believers.

Anyone that does not believe they have been saved by the work of God on the cross will not be saved, period.

I will not turn back to works of the flesh to save me because I know they won't.

He is the saviour, He gives grace, by Him we are reconciled, by His power we walk. But we walk. The danger is when we look at what God does and say 'I don't have to do anything'.

Colossians 1:24
I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,

If WE suffer with him, we will also be glorified with him. Christ is given us as an example. Jesus says 'Abide in me, and I in you', and James says 'draw near to him, and he will draw near to you'. We have a part to play!

And how do you suffer with Him?

If you have not suffered for the gospel of grace therefore you are not suffering with Him. Paul suffered with Him when he preached the gospel of grace and the religious stoned him. Are you suffering for the gospel? I don't see you saying much of anything about the shed blood poured out by Jesus to pay for the sins of men. You ARE not suffering with Jesus you are just elevating your ego by claiming that you have works. You say nothing about the work of God.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
And how do you suffer with Him?

If you have not suffered for the gospel of grace therefore you are not suffering with Him. Paul suffered with Him when he preached the gospel of grace and the religious stoned him. Are you suffering for the gospel? I don't see you saying much of anything about the shed blood poured out by Jesus to pay for the sins of men. You ARE not suffering with Jesus you are just elevating your ego by claiming that you have works. You say nothing about the work of God.

That is a silly argument of your own imagination. "Since you do not preach the gospel I believe to believe the gospel, you do not preach the gospel, and therefore do not preach the gospel".

It's all your saying!

And yet what you claim a gospel that says we have no run to race, we do not have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, we do not have to add to our faith virtue, and all those qualities, it is impossible to walk by the Spirit and be free of the power of sin, though Paul proclaims it. You believe in dead faith, that somehow saves us apart of obedience...

Yet Abraham was obedient, Jesus was obedient, and Paul was also obedient. Jesus didn't do it in our stead, he taught us how to do it. Yes, he paid for our past sins, that we might be cleansed... And then move to new life in him.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
You words about free will do not negate that what God HAS called clean let no man call un-clean. The word HAS was written by inspiration of the HolySpirit and I will believe that it means what it says. -- The children of God are kept by the power of God, not by the man. Salvation is already a done deal for the true believers.

I despise this flippant terminology: "Salvation is already a done deal for the true believers" and any who uses it knows very little about the work of "being saved".

Again we see a lack of balance in our arguments.

A call to the gospel message requires the use of our free will. In all the universe the free will is that which God requires of us, it’s a decision to act in favour of One over the other, of choosing life or death.

The apostle Paul, a follower of Christ, explains how the promises to Abraham ought to be received and their fulfilment in Jesus, in the following way:

Galatians 3:

6 Just as Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,
7 so then, understand that those who believe are the sons of Abraham.

If one implies salvation is a guarantee, without heeding the innumerable warnings of Paul to remain in their love, by believing (the use of our free will) then God cannot and will not accredit righteousness.

On some level God acknowledges our response to Him as Children, even His Son “this is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased” Something about Jesus Christ pleased his Father just as Abraham in part pleased the Father.

The step Richard is taking is a dangerous one because it can absolve us of our responsibilities to respond. We are called to put to death our free will and make theirs the motivating force in our lives.

So far Richard & Nomad have not provided a balanced view of Phil 2:12 as the working out, is between 2 parties – a covenant must be between 2 parties. Though we know only one party can uphold their end of the covenant, needless to say the covenant is not a covenant with one person! Hence we need Grace to do what we cannot.

Nomad stated Grace to be unmerited favour. Again I do not like this definition at all! And is not a Biblical explanation of Grace.

Take Noah for example “Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” Gen 6:8. Noah must have possessed something for this to happen? Faith? Yes! But even faith requires a person to put to death their own free will and choose another in its place.

If Grace was indeed “unmerited favour" as Nomad suggests, then God should give it to all humans, but He doesn’t.

Therefore Grace must have merit based on something a believer does! Else God would be partial.

If Richard and Nomad were correct in saying salvation has nothing to do with us, at all, then there could be no judgement of the saints – for a saints could say to Christ “you said my salvation was guaranteed then why am I being rejected?”

Christ could respond with many answers, one of which “I knew you not” maybe the one talented man? How decided to choose his will over the Fathers.

Points to consider:
  1. Salvation is a partnership between one being saved and the saviour.
  2. Our free will like Jesus must be put death and replace with the Will of another (Overcometh Rev 2:17
  3. Grace is not unmerited favour because not all men and women receive it! Something in us must have merit for God to hold us in such stead.
But lastly, and most importantly God is not primarily interested in saving people - but something else.

I wonder if you all know what that might be?

Insight

Reactions: Prentis and gregg

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
THY WILL BE DONE :rolleyes:

Exactly
yo.gif

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Solid post, Insight.

The modern idea of 'free salvation' and grace as 'unmerited favor' goes against the very call of following Christ and running the race. It is an anti-gospel that so fears the idea of works (without understanding what it actually means) that it opposes itself even to the striving of the saints, and obedience to the faith.

This very attitude is the attitude that would say to a God who requires something of us 'you are a hard man, you reap where you do not sow'. God DOES expects a return on what he gives us, he desires the fruits faith are to produce. He gives us grace that we might be empowered to follow his will.

By faith we have access to grace, by which we stand. Now if we continue in faith (faithfulness and obedience), we continue to receive grace that we might please God.

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A call to the gospel message requires the use of our free will. In all the universe the free will is that which God requires of us, it’s a decision to act in favour of One over the other, of choosing life or death.

Unregenerate man is incapable of choosing God.

Rom 3:11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.

Therefore, faith and repentance are given by God as a gift to whomever he chooses. Observe:

Php 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake. . .

Act 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

2Pe 1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ. . .

Joh 6:64 But there are some of you who do not believe. . .

Joh 6:65 . . . And he said, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father."

2Ti 2:25 . . .correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth. . .

Therefore Grace must have merit based on something a believer does!

Wrong!

Rom 11:5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.
Rom 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Else God would be partial.

Who ever told you God is not partial? Examples:

Joh 5:21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will.

Joh 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Solid post, Insight.

The modern idea of 'free salvation' and grace as 'unmerited favor' goes against the very call of following Christ and running the race. It is an anti-gospel that so fears the idea of works (without understanding what it actually means) that it opposes itself even to the striving of the saints, and obedience to the faith.

This very attitude is the attitude that would say to a God who requires something of us 'you are a hard man, you reap where you do not sow'. God DOES expects a return on what he gives us, he desires the fruits faith are to produce. He gives us grace that we might be empowered to follow his will.

By faith we have access to grace, by which we stand. Now if we continue in faith (faithfulness and obedience), we continue to receive grace that we might please God.

It is so pleasing to see you have "this" understanding in the modern Christian age.

Amen.

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
Unregenerate man is incapable of choosing God.

Php 1:29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake. . .

Nomad, are you suggesting mankind has no freewill to respond to a calling while being in an unenlightened state?

So that I am speaking to the same meaning:

Unregenerate to mean:

1. Not spiritually renewed or reformed; not repentant.
2 Sinful; dissolute

Take your quote of Phil 1:29 as an example.

For it has been granted is the Greek "eucharisthe" meaning to "To grant an act of grace".

For instance the calling of Abraham was an act of Grace while he was unregenerate! and going back to the Garden it was an act of Grace that God sought Adam & Eve under the tree (they were enlightened to Gods Ways) , in both instance they possessed free will to decide, now one was unenlightened to the things of God whereas the later, knew God, but both instances being in the same sinful state.

The Philippians no different.

If you check the RV "It has been given as a favour" (I also like Rothinghams) this was "the grace [charis] that God has given the Macedonian churches" (as per 2 Co 8:1):

These believers are being told it was by Grace they have been “able” to rejoice because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name" (See Acts 5:41). (FREE WILL)

It is one of privilege the Philippians are able to serve God and Christ, of course their response is the putting to death their own free will and making it the Fathers and Sons. (FREE WILL)

As it goes on to teach “but also suffer for him” Phil 1:29

It is a privilege to suffer with Christ – now this call to suffering is achieved by His Grace for the purpose of both Yahweh, His Son as per Heb 2:10 and in all believers as per James 1:3,4; 1 Pe 1:6,7. (FREE WILL)

Now you would have us believe the Philippians, Abraham, Adam & Eve were incapable of choosing to respond to His Grace filled offer?

Many who are filled with the darkness of this age are able to use their free will to decide to believe!

If this not be so we have No free will.

Wrong!
Rom 11:5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.
Rom 11:6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

I understand where you are coming from; meaning that no human works can be claimed by Grace. When Noah found Grace in the sight of his Lord it was as a result of his response to Gods Call, His Word, Acts of Mercy and Love and so on. Noah was required to work at putting to death his own will (though imperfectly because of sin) , he did this through the Word of Gods Power – this work is one of merit in Gods sight; when this takes place God imputes righteousness because we are in agree with him as to our sinful state.

In other words “When our thinking is in harmony with His” we are found to be in His Grace – the degree to which we allow this mind being in us, will demonstrate how well pleasing we are in His sight.

The Son is perfect example of this and was highly exalted and rewarded for his faith and obedience.

Nomad , are you able to explain the Merit in these words? Matt 3:17

Who ever told you God is not partial? Examples:
Joh 5:21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will.
Joh 17:9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.

Nomad,

These above quotes are poor examples of proving or disproving God’s impartiality.

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: Acts 10:34

He shows no partiality or favour because of rank, family or wealth (See Jas. 2:1,2,3,4; cp. Deut 1:16,17; 10:17; 16:19; Lev. 19:15.

And I am surprised once more you come into conflict with the Gospel and the Word? You ought to know apostle Paul taught this message through Asia Minor Rom. 2:10-11; Eph. 6:9; Col. 3:25.

God's characteristic of being impartial is no doubt one of the foundation beliefs in the Word and to refute would be going to the very nature of God's character.

Only a proud man would debate such matters.

Insight

Insight

Aug 7, 2011
For every "has" verse provided I could provide many more "if" verse's to show the contrast between the Work of God and the response of man.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
That is a silly argument of your own imagination. "Since you do not preach the gospel I believe to believe the gospel, you do not preach the gospel, and therefore do not preach the gospel".

It's all your saying!

And yet what you claim a gospel that says we have no run to race, we do not have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, we do not have to add to our faith virtue, and all those qualities, it is impossible to walk by the Spirit and be free of the power of sin, though Paul proclaims it. You believe in dead faith, that somehow saves us apart of obedience...

Yet Abraham was obedient, Jesus was obedient, and Paul was also obedient. Jesus didn't do it in our stead, he taught us how to do it. Yes, he paid for our past sins, that we might be cleansed... And then move to new life in him.

When Paul preached the gospel of grace there were always Jewish believers (that Jesus was their Messiah and king) telling his Gentile converts that they had to become a Jew and keep the Law of Moses. Paul is saying "don't turn back to trying to be saved by the Law because it will not save you". That is the race we are in, to keep our faith in Him and His work on the cross and not on trying to keep the Law of Moses.

But, to you, running the race is trying to keep the Law.

I proclaim the cross, which is the power of God to save all that will place their belief, faith, trust, and confidence in it, and you say I am not teaching the gospel. Funny!!!

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
For every "has" verse provided I could provide many more "if" verse's to show the contrast between the Work of God and the response of man.

Well said. A brother told me the same thing using different words; the verses that seem certain speak of God's faithfulness to us, that verses that leave it open for choice talk about our faithfulness, which we are free to continue in or leave.

For example, Jesus says that NONE given to him will be snatched out of his hands. And yet many willfully walk away from him!

Insight

Aug 7, 2011

Prentis and I have had numerous discussions and I can vouch that this statement is certainly untrue. Actually, I believe it’s quite the opposite for Prentis.

If he had his way all people of the earth would be saved!

Am I right?

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA

So you ignore the word HAS and proclaim the word IF. This shows that you have no belief, faith, trust, and confidence in the shed blood of Jesus on the cross. To you it is all about your working for salvation and you discount the work of Jesus on the cross. God will deal with the self-righteous in His own time.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
When Paul preached the gospel of grace there were always Jewish believers (that Jesus was their Messiah and king) telling his Gentile converts that they had to become a Jew and keep the Law of Moses. Paul is saying "don't turn back to trying to be saved by the Law because it will not save you". That is the race we are in, to keep our faith in Him and His work on the cross and not on trying to keep the Law of Moses.

No, very much to the opposite. This revelas quite interestingly what it is that you don't understand, Richard. You see two option, 'law' and 'belief'. You miss the true one, which is faith, faithfulness, fidelity which gives us access to the power of God, grace, by which we stand.

The option you do not see is the Spirit.

There is no freeing of ourselves in your theology. Only a freeing of our conscience and need to obey, and freeing from condemnation (but that is only imaginary), whereas we are to be freed from sin, and the adamic nature, that we might walk as Christ.

We are not to turn back to the law of Moses, but we are not to be lawless either ('Get away from me, you who work lawlessness'), rather we walk by the Spirit, which is obedience to God, and we are commanded to love not only as ourselves, but as HE loves.

See, you try to eradicate all command of the Lord, while Jesus raises the bar from 'love your neighbor as yourself' to 'love as I have loved you'... You are moving in the opposite direction.

Prentis and I have had numerous discussions and I can vouch that this statement is certainly untrue. Actually, I believe it’s quite the opposite for Prentis.

If he had his way all people of the earth would be saved!

Am I right?

Indeed, I believe we are to obey by faith, not religiously follow the law.

The difference lies in how we use obedience. The Pharisees used it to justify themselves, 'We have done this, you owe us entrance!'. The disciples obeyed God's command, 'follow me', but used it to glorify God.