The Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

Thats an interesting thought, but not sure I agree with this particular thought. Would you care to explain how you came up with this conclusion?
Ask a Greek grammarian and they would tell you that the two letters of Peter are entirely different. One is in a crude sort of Greek that would be typical of an Hebrew fisherman. The other is refined, articulate, in language that is clearly from a linguist who would have been writing what Peter was dictating. THus the writer was using his own style and grammar, thus interpreting the thoughts of Paul (inspired by the Spirit). Same with all the writers of the Bible.
The gospels are another good example. In some instances where different writers are describing the same event, each one is different and in a sense contradict the others. But police love this when witnesses all differ when viewing the same crime. They all come with a different perspective and thought on the events they witness and thus bring stronger testimony to the validity of what they see. If they all agreed in every detail, the police would immediately suspect they have colluded together to bring a contrived view. Therefore, the different witness in scripture is evidence to its veracity.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Therefore, the different witness in scripture is evidence
I do agree with you on this...that should also give us a clue, when some insist that God Himself wrote the bible...Surely there can be no doubt that these events took place, but why some would want to destroy others, who may follow one gospel over another, that's nuts I think..We need to do what Jesus said to do..." Ask, seek and knock"...It is In Him that we find the whole truth..

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
I love reading my Bible but I have no illusions that this is a library of 66 books written by lots of different people that consists of the words of men, the words of God and the words of the devil. So Im a little confused why religious people call it the Word Of God, clearly it isn't.

I recognize that it contains some powerful truth, as do many spiritual books, but it also contains stories and instructions that are not relevant for us today. Like stoning our daughter because she had sex outside marriage, and killing people because they were on land we wanted. SICK.

As far as I'm aware Jesus was the word NOT THE BOOK

There was a thread last year, closely related to what you have posted. I was part of the discussion. Thought it is best to provide the link instead of repeating them all over again.:)
Bible = 'Books.'

Personally I carefully avoid calling the written scriptures, the Word of God and I am not alone in that though we are likely the minority on this forum.

It is unfortunate that there are members in this forum who know that The Bible is the Word of God in Spirit, still they show ignorance, perhaps because they do not want to contribute anything to this website or might be some other reason I do not know. Considering all the Christians in the World, there are many who consider that the Bible is the Word of God in Spirit and as a result the book continues to be referred as the Holy Bible. Some believe it through understanding and experience while the rest believe it through faith. The Point: Majority Christians in the world consider it as the Word of God in Spirit written in a book called Holy Bible.:)
All Glory to God.

Reactions: amadeus

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it never does thats a man made imposition, Gods word doesnt change 45 different bible version cant all be teh same word of God, even a child can understand that, He is right for a change.

those version do not teach different gospels. Yes they put different emphersis on different words and even different meanings.
But the gospel is the same in all versions of the Christian bible.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
those version do not teach different gospels. Yes they put different emphersis on different words and even different meanings.
But the gospel is the same in all versions of the Christian bible.
when the word "church" replaces the word "ecclesia" it is not the same gospel, and men where sent to preach the "gospel of Jesus Christ" not the bible. And if they did not teach different gospels we wouldn't have so many versions or have the need, that is why there is so much confusion.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...the words of the devil. So Im a little confused why religious people call it the Word Of God, clearly it isn't.

I believe it is very apparent this stoning of a daughter or the other murderous,
savage, barbaric, childish, jealous, primitive things in the Bible are not of God.

Not their fault...they came up basically from campfires and
and thinking God was a mean Guy in the Sky throwing lightning bolts at them...
being satisfied by virgins thrown into volcanoes!

It was the prophets that were inspired, not what they wrote.

when some insist that God Himself wrote the bible.

Compare the above statements about Scripture (the Word of God), with what the Bible proclaims about the Word of God, below:

Hebrews 4:12. For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

2Timothy 3:16. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17. that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that the essence of the gospel in still intact, despite some that have attempted to derail it with their own words that still confuse understanding. For example, the famous commission line to go out and spread the gospel has been tampered with by Trinitarians. The RCC took some side notes during translation and added them in as being inspired. Yes, by them. Why did the reformers not correct it? Are they the true daughters of this pagan religion? There are more glaring examples of scripture that were deliberately modified.

(Mat 28:19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (ESV)

The correct version has ….in Jesus (name) (only) as written in Acts etc.

This verse never entertained any trinity formula before Rome got their hands on it in the 4th century AD. There are NO translations of this verse in Latin, Greek or Hebrew that had the trinity formula in it before 300 AD.

My question is why don’t they correct this blatant modification today?? When I tell you why, it is because over 95 percent of so-called Christians are pagan Trinitarians. I just hope they know the real Jesus, the Christ and his Father. They just cannot give this belief model up as if it is scriptural…….it defies logic and my understanding...

APAK

Reactions: brakelite

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love reading my Bible but I have no illusions that this is a library of 66 books written by lots of different people that consists of the words of men, the words of God and the words of the devil. So Im a little confused why religious people call it the Word Of God, clearly it isn't.

I recognize that it contains some powerful truth, as do many spiritual books, but it also contains stories and instructions that are not relevant for us today. Like stoning our daughter because she had sex outside marriage, and killing people because they were on land we wanted. SICK.

As far as I'm aware Jesus was the word NOT THE BOOK

Every thing in the Bible is supposed to be there. I may be wrong, but it seems as if you have choosen to spiritualize parts of the Bible you like, but take the parts you do not like as literal, label them as from the devil and dismiss them....

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus Christ is and has always been The Word Of God...Made flesh.

The Book tells God's Plan from Gen to Rev.

I am going to have to disagree with you here, Helen. The bible makes so much more sense to me when it is interpreted as ‘humanity’s attempted to work out God’s plan’ - i think God’s plan can fit on a napkin - love perfectly. We are the ones who wrote a book about it.

The Bible reads like a cautionary tale of humanity’s countless ways of avoiding and sneaking around God’s plan. It is necessary, of course! We need to read our history of missing the mark and God’s grace and our hope.

But, make no mistake, just like someone yo-yo dieting or exercising, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am going to have to disagree with you here, Helen. The bible makes so much more sense to me when it is interpreted as ‘humanity’s attempted to work out God’s plan’ - i think God’s plan can fit on a napkin - love perfectly. We are the ones who wrote a book about it.

The Bible reads like a cautionary tale of humanity’s countless ways of avoiding and sneaking around God’s plan. It is necessary, of course! We need to read our history of missing the mark and God’s grace and our hope.

But, make no mistake, just like someone yo-yo dieting or exercising, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak

I can agree about the "love perfectly" ..but to me A Plan is something used to study ( building map) ..in Gen it starts the love story...it unfolds, and in Rev we see the end of the love story. .

Why did God make man? So that He could love him and teach him how to love.
Psalm 31:19
I Cor 2:9

The Revelation is prepared, but we haven't fully seen it yet...just a glimpse.
If I plan a picnic...there is preparation, then the journey, then the event.
As with a building. Preparation , the building site, and the finished product.
"A Plan, as I see it, has stages.

Thats how I see God's place... :)

Reactions: aspen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was the prophets that were inspired, not what they wrote
This is a curious statement. The prophets were inspired, but not what they did (which was write their prophecy)?

How about the apostles? Were they inspired but not their writings?

What or why were they inspired? What's the point of them being inspired if what they said or wrote wasn't?

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul is quite clear about this. All Scripture is God-breathed. As such, Scripture is God's communication to his people and may rightly be called the "word of God."

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Yes there are things not directly applicable to us today, but that does not make them irrelevant or unimportant. Again as Paul clearly says, All Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for the the things he lists so that the man of God may be complete.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
consists of the words of men, the words of God and the words of the devil.
To settle the argument quickly for those who say that God wrote the book, or the Holy spirit wrote it.....If so, why on earth would He have given us 4 differing accounts of resurrection morning ??? Not possible..
Now to you 'evotell'......Just wanted to pass onto you, what I was shown, if interested ? After many years of confusion and asking for understanding of the Bible, I was given this answer......:" The Bible is a combination of Words from God TO man.......From man TO God........And mans words ABOUT God to other men ( humans).......
Without the Spirit of God and an willing heart and ears to hear, we could never get the truth from it, only whatever understanding a man comes to by himself...Thus leaning on his own understanding......
It is much like the pearl of great price.....We must really really seek, ask and dig deep to find the treasures of the pure truth within the writings, so we can rightly divide the word of truth........Also without the Holy Spirit we cannot divide the Word, into that which is of and for the flesh and that which is of and for the spirit... :)

Reactions: Helen and mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Paul is quite clear about this. All Scripture is God-breathed. As such, Scripture is God's communication to his people and may rightly be called the "word of God."

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

Yes there are things not directly applicable to us today, but that does not make them irrelevant or unimportant. Again as Paul clearly says, All Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for the the things he lists so that the man of God may be complete.
And Jesus said

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

and it is written

Joh_6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

So if His spoken word is life and scripture is not, than how can the bible be God s word, See how silly the argument gets.

Reactions: pia

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To settle the argument quickly for those who say that God wrote the book, or the Holy spirit wrote it.....If so, why on earth would He have given us 4 differing accounts of resurrection morning ??? Not possible..
Now to you 'evotell'......Just wanted to pass onto you, what I was shown, if interested ? After many years of confusion and asking for understanding of the Bible, I was given this answer......:" The Bible is a combination of Words from God TO man.......From man TO God........And mans words ABOUT God to other men ( humans).......
Without the Spirit of God and an willing heart and ears to hear, we could never get the truth from it, only whatever understanding a man comes to by himself...Thus leaning on his own understanding......
It is much like the pearl of great price.....We must really really seek, ask and dig deep to find the treasures of the pure truth within the writings, so we can rightly divide the word of truth........Also without the Holy Spirit we cannot divide the Word, into that which is of and for the flesh and that which is of and for the spirit... :)

And why is your word, your experience, the final word that settles the argument quickly? Is there not another with the Spirit of God who believes the Bible is the Word of God, as told in the Bible? But, yours is the final word?

In fact, there are going to be believers with the Spirit of God who differ with you. With so many accounts of what God has told each, how can what you or they be saying be the truth? That is the same judgement you pass on the accounts of the resurrection morning.

Yes, the Spirit of God is necessary to understand the Bible. That doesn't mean the Bible is not the Word of God. It is evidence that it is the Word of God. If it is not the Word of God, then it is no 'pearl of great price'. None of the Bible is for the 'flesh'. It is all for the spirit.

As to the events of the resurrection morning, everything recorded occurred. If I don't understand how, that is really immaterial. It means I have more to learn.

Stranger

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And why is your word, your experience, the final word that settles the argument quickly
Again you didn't get what I wrote there....I referred to the four separate accounts in the Bible about the morning of the resurrection, and since God is NOT the author of confusion ( which is most certainly Truth), He could not be responsible for writing them all....I personally believe they are eye witness or hearing witnesses, which was then eventually written down. That was the part i thought could settle it quickly.
Then I went on to answering 'evotel' and wrote about my own personal experience, if he was interested.....
I am astutely aware that I have much much to learn, but I have never given up seeking.......I am not demanding anyone take my word as Truth....I am merely sharing what people can then seek God about themselves.
I have always affirmed, that I cannot make Jesus real for anyone....Only they can do that together with Him....But at least I am sharing with others, that it is indeed possible to have a real relationship with Him, and not only a relationship based on letters long ago written......I still don't understand the hostility toward that.....Oh well, nothing i can do about that.....I'm leaving that part with God and keeping my peace...

Reactions: Helen

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And why is your word, your experience, the final word that settles the argument quickly
It isn't !!!.....Why do you keep making out that I'm trying to tell others what they MUST accept....I don't...What I do and I make it clear at the time, is to pass along what I have been shown, told or experienced...Isn't that what a witness is supposed to do ? The listener or in this case the reader, should just receive those words and take them to God for confirmation, if they have not already had the same revelation ( which I do encounter a lot) and if they don't get it, well, then either put it on the back burner, or reject it, if that's your choice.....All I can do is pass it on, I will not shrink back from that part....

Reactions: Helen

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a curious statement. The prophets were inspired, but not what they did (which was write their prophecy)?

How about the apostles? Were they inspired but not their writings?

What or why were they inspired? What's the point of them being inspired if what they said or wrote wasn't?

"It was the prophets that were inspired, not what they wrote."

I think you misunderstood my post #26: I was quoting one of the Posts, #12. They are not my words.
I was contrasting what some were saying about the Word of God, with Scripture.

Reactions: FHII

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if His spoken word is life and scripture is not, than how can the bible be God s word, See how silly the argument gets.

Not only does your proof text not say that, you completely ignore 2 Tim. 3:16-17 at the same time. What Jesus is saying in John 5:39-40 is quite clear. The very same Scriptures that the Jews search so diligently for eternal life testify of Christ and yet they refuse to come to Christ. They're looking in the right place, but they're missing the boat. I don't know how you're getting such a simple message twisted. I'm afraid it's not me who making silly arguments.

Reactions: tabletalk

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Actually it's the Apostle Paul who says that "God wrote the book" as you crudely put it. He plainly says "all Scripture is God-breathed." It doesn't get more explicit than that. And 4 different perspectives does not = 4 differing accounts. You've settled nothing quickly or otherwise.

Reactions: tabletalk