The Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
When I can find it He is the One who has shown me where...
ok just for info's sake google is quite good at finding vv that you might only be able to describe peripherally, fwiw. Down to even like "the bible verse where jesus tells his disciples that he is going to prepare a place for them, and they think he means heaven" or whatever.
way better than Bible search engines, why i don't know. John 3:16 and Acts 2:38 are prolly the only two vv i could quote cold myself lol. Any idea why Acts won't link here? hmm

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok just for info's sake google is quite good at finding vv that you might only be able to describe peripherally, fwiw. Down to even like "the bible verse where jesus tells his disciples that he is going to prepare a place for them, and they think he means heaven" or whatever.
way better than Bible search engines, why i don't know. John 3:16 and Acts 2:38 are prolly the only two vv i could quote cold myself lol. Any idea why Acts won't link here? hmm
Oh I regularly use online searches when I am on the computer, but sometimes I cannot remember enough about a verse to input a search. I just know that there is a verse. With my Bible, the paper book, I can often find it when I cannot do a computer search.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Now the Book of Truth, that would be Word, right, Word is Truth.
Only Scripture is not the Book of Truth, either; as It will also tell you

Wow, that was very good and insightful. ( do I seem shocked, sorry :) )

I am still back on page FOUR I have six pages to read, to catch up to todays posts!! This thread got a bit buried and I haven't read it for a couple of days.

Reactions: bbyrd009

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Stranger I do not know how many times I have written here, that I do agree that God inspired people to write down what He instructed them to.......I will not however, disbelieve what He told me...Since you and I cannot come together in this I suggest we stop wasting each others time...

BEB1956

Apr 16, 2018
Macon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love reading my Bible but I have no illusions that this is a library of 66 books written by lots of different people that consists of the words of men, the words of God and the words of the devil. So Im a little confused why religious people call it the Word Of God, clearly it isn't.

I recognize that it contains some powerful truth, as do many spiritual books, but it also contains stories and instructions that are not relevant for us today. Like stoning our daughter because she had sex outside marriage, and killing people because they were on land we wanted. SICK.

As far as I'm aware Jesus was the word NOT THE BOOK

I think that when we are considering the old testament we must always remember that these were a people that were in a covenant relationship with God. What I mean by that is when Moses went and got the law covenant from God, Moses then came to the people and read the law covenant and then asked them if they were willing to accept and obey this covenant. So these people knew the law and understood there were punishments with breaking the law, in other words they went into this covenant relationship with their eyes wide open.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"
YHWH, God of the Hebrews (יהוה אלהי העברים, Exodus 3:18 (only here spelled עבריים, or the Hebrewish-ians), (5:3), 7:16, 9:1, 9:13, 10:3), He who is, was and will be, liberated His people, and kept them and instructed them on their forty year trek through the Arabian wilderness (מדבר, midbar, from דבר, dabar, meaning word, as in the phrase Dabar-YHWH; the Word of God).

The ways of YHWH, which sound so clearly from the heavens, and which the Egyptians had tried to express in their vast and awesome buildings, now fitted on two portable slabs of stone, written "on both sides of them" (משני עבריהם, msheny'ebery ham, on both hebrews of them)..."
The amazing name Hebrew: meaning and etymology
The stone the builders rejected

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love reading my Bible but I have no illusions that this is a library of 66 books written by lots of different people that consists of the words of men, the words of God and the words of the devil. So Im a little confused why religious people call it the Word Of God, clearly it isn't.

I recognize that it contains some powerful truth, as do many spiritual books, but it also contains stories and instructions that are not relevant for us today. Like stoning our daughter because she had sex outside marriage, and killing people because they were on land we wanted. SICK.

The only sickness I see is the failure to know the only possible truth when you see it.

So, what do you use as your source of truth? I pity you for your views about God's written Word, the only guaranteed source of truth in existence. The Bible is the Word and the Word is Christ

The people in the land, that God killed, were abhorrent and genetically tainted in some way. They were either the sons of Satan or afflicted with the DNA that the giants possessed. They were freaks that deserved death. Also, their placement in the land was most surely an act of Satan, to thwart God's plan.

God said he would preserve His Word to every generation in Ps 12:6-7. He did that in the form of the Bible. Every word in the Bible is inspired, God-breathed - 2Tim 3:16. The Bible is all you need to know.

Are you saved? Do you believe the Bible concerning the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ? If you do, where did you get that information? Without the Bible, you would never be saved. If you don't see the truth about Christ, in the Bible, you'll just die, cease to exist, and be forgotten. If you do see the truth about Christ but fail to see other truth in the Bible, you're just picking and choosing based on your own vain (ultimately worthless) philosophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

GUANO

Jun 5, 2018
Pasadena, CA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worship of an inanimate object because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit (Logos) is called what? Anybody?

Fetishism. It's one of the many forms of idolatry. Anyone learn that in theological seminary?

Let's not confuse the word "worship" with the act of lying prostrate or dancing before something...
It is the feeling or expression of reverence (deep respect) for a deity... In this case, Logos...

I feel personally connected to my Bible. I don't want to read any other one. As an inanimate object I love my Bible and want to protect it and place it above other books---so I experience the same 'primitive notions' but upon meditation concerning the spirit that inspires such behavior I find it to be "of the world", "the flesh", "the adversary"... I see myself like a dog, burying and protecting and obsessing over an old bone that can't do anything in and of itself other than entertain my flesh.

To worship a physical object or even the words written upon it is to completely not understand what The Word of God (Logos) is, in spirit, in essence. Your physical man picks up objects and reads words, your spiritual man must LISTEN to the WORD OF GOD.

With this being said, I am convinced by the spirit of the Lord Jesus Christ that there is nothing unclean in and of itself, but unto any man which esteems that thing to be unclean, to him it is indeed unclean. You revere your book in order to give honor to God. Others perhaps don't revere their books in order to give honor to God. Let every one be fully convinced in their own mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietthinker

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evotell,

I have no idea whether or not you're saved. If you're not, and, therefore, are not indwelled with the Holy Spirit, it's impossible that you or any non-believer in what Christ did for us on the cross, has even one iota of understanding about what the Bible is all about. That's why ANY opinion an atheist, agnostic, Mormon, Islamist, Hindu, etc., has about the Bible, is total garbage, with ZERO exceptions.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

It's just semantics. Christ is the living word made Flesh, a.k.a.: The Divine Logos. The Bible, on the other hand, is the written word of God. What was first spoken got written. But there weren't always stenographers instantly recording every word of the sacred speaker. Not all of the spoken word got written down, but that does not mean it is inferior to what got written. God is not so limited as to have His words limited to what is written, and God can preserve the unwritten word because He is God. Because one mode of transmitting the word of God is different from the other DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEAN IT IS INFERIOR! "Word of God" appears some 200 times in the Bible, and each place it is found, I have yet to find where it refers to the written word alone. Maybe you can find one.

I am still back on page FOUR I have six pages to read, to catch up to todays posts!! This thread got a bit buried and I haven't read it for a couple of days.
I cheat. This thread is 10 pages long! So, I read the OP, and most of the 1st page. Then I jump to page 10 and tune in the the flow. Then I can legitimately derail the current flow if I want, by quoting the OP!

evotell,

I have no idea whether or not you're saved. If you're not, and, therefore, are not indwelled with the Holy Spirit, it's impossible that you or any non-believer in what Christ did for us on the cross, has even one iota of understanding about what the Bible is all about. That's why ANY opinion an atheist, agnostic, Mormon, Islamist, Hindu, etc., has about the Bible, is total garbage, with ZERO exceptions.
Is being "indwelt with the Holy Spirit" a guarantee that your scriptural perceptions and Christian concepts are 100% without error?
You must admit that your interpretations may be fallible, how can you in good conscience call anything heresy or bind another Christian to a particular belief?

bible alone.jpg

Reactions: amadeus