1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured There Is No Purgatory. It Is Not In God's Character To Give 2nd Chances After We Leave Our Flesh

Discussion in 'Christian Debate Forum' started by jshiii, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Ezra

Ezra Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    you just have to watch how you reply to the poster calvinist .few in there toss around words like false teacher false doctrine

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. Nondenom40

Nondenom40 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I don't normally go to those boards. I stick with the roman catholic boards. So if you never want to discuss calvanism you don't have to. There are rules about staying on topic, unlike here.

Helen likes this.
  3. jshiii

jshiii Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Happy New Year Helen! Just so there is no confusion or ambiguity who we are talking about, whenever I mention God, I desperately try to remind myself that I need to qualify who God is to my readers. It always makes me nervous when I see "God" written by itself. I just want to be 100% sure and the readers also 100% who God is. So when you make the statement (which I do agree is a consuming fire), hope you don't mind if I add to it.. "Our God, Jesus Christ, is a consuming Fire." When I speak of God, I just always think it's appropriate and right to add Jesus Christ (right directly behind God, in all conversation..IMO). Because they are truly one and the same. :)

The Lord Jesus Christ ONLY, is Worthy of all our Praise and Worship!
    Eternity is a Very long Time!
    Satan Loves Distractions!

Helen likes this.
  4. jshiii

jshiii Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

While we are in our physical (earthly) bodies, yes I agree! After we leave our physical (earthly) bodies, no second chances. Your spirit is either clothed with the spirit of Jesus Christ and you go directly in his presence or the other alternative is Hades to await eternal judgment, along with "The rich man." Don't be fooled, there is no middle ground in between. ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    aspen likes this.
  5. jshiii

jshiii Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    A lot of great resources at CARM, Gotquestions, DesiringGod and DavidJeremiah just to name a few. However, in all things, the Bible (my choice is the KJV, but do use NIV/ESV sometimes) is the FINAL Word, Authority and TRUTH.

If Catholics want to believe in "Purgatory", so be it. While you are being cleansed, those of us that believe it to be unbiblical, will already be clothed with Jesus Christ and in his Father's presence. Praise the Lord!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Okay, got it. Thank you. I now get where you are coming from. :)
    I was 'almost' there at one time also. I am not an "only".

Isa 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

I don't even pretend to understand the godhead... I am a bear of very little brain, just like Winnie The Pooh. :)

Bless you....H

jshiii likes this.
  7. BreadOfLife

BreadOfLife Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Whereas you may believe that you get to sneak into Heaven “covered” by the righteousness of Christ – the Bible teaches that we are actually MADE righteous so we can enter. It’s BECAUSE of what Christ did that we are purified. Rev. 21:27 says that NOTHING unclean or impure can enter Heaven.

Luther erroneously thought the same way you do, in his analogy of “snow-covered-dunghills”.
    C.S. Lewis, on the other hand, although a Protestant, stated that the mercy of God DEMANDS Purgatory - which actually makes us pure.[/QUOTE]

8. historyb

historyb Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Catholics are not the only ones as I am not Catholic, though I believe as C.S Lewis says:

CS Lewis Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer, by C. S. Lewis

Philip James likes this.
  9. Nondenom40

Nondenom40 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Against my better judgement by responding to someone that can't post without hurling insults, i'll say this. There is no purgatory for several reasons. The verse in Rev 21 is always trotted out by catholics with zero exegesis, zero context. Yet thats one of their major proof texts for the big P. Of course nothing unclean enters heaven. Who said it does? But its not YOU atoning for your own sin in purgatory. Its God doing all the cleaning and changing and purifying in our lives BEFORE we ever arrive!
    Its God, not you.

10. BreadOfLife

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The mere fact that you posted this response is CLEAR evidence that you have absolutely NO grasp on the concept of Final PurificationOR Christ’s sacrifice.

It is ONLY because of what He did that we are able to become pure and perfect. We don’t get to “sneak” into Heaven in our filth just because we are “covered”.
    We are MADE righteous and perfect before entering.

11. Nondenom40

Nondenom40 Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I gave several verses which apparently you didn't read, or don't like. All say God does this in us. Not a shred of evidence to suggest you do it in purgatory.

12. BreadOfLife

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I read the verses you presented – but apparently YOU didn’t.

Phil 3:21, Titus 2:14, and 1 Thess. 3:13, are about God perfecting us. It doesn’t tell us HOW or WHEN.
    1 Cor. 3:10-15, shows us the HOW and WHEN:

1 Cor. 3:10-15
    "According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it, for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, the work of each will come to light, for the Day (judgment) will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire [itself] will test the quality of each one’s work. If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire."

Jude 24 is talking about God’s ability to keep us from stumbling. It’s a word of encouragementNOT a guarantee that we won’t stumble.

The context of 1 Pet. 5:10 and 1 Cor. 15:52 are talking about the 2nd Coming of Christ and those who are alive at the end of the world.

NONE of these verses you presented detail the process of Final Purification as outlined in 1 Cor. 3:10-15.