There is no spiritual gift called "the gift of tongues".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the contention of this study that the author’s intent is always the basis for determining the
meaning of anarthrous (and even arthrous, in some cases) predicate nominatives in the New
Testament as to whether they are definite, indefinite or qualitative. There is no rule that necessitates one interpretation over another, but rather good, solid thinking and contextual
understanding that gets at the author’s intended meaning.

A little Greek Grammar. Here is the rest:

The high point of verse 1 is in this third affirmation about the Word.

and the Word was God [shows the nature of the Word, who is the subject].

This phrase is a stark statement of the deity of Christ. The Word was in His essence God; He had the proper essentials of deity. He in every sense had the qualities of God Himself. The Word was God’s own Self.

The word “God” is not preceded by a definite article (in English, “the”). There is no such thing as an indefinite article (“a” or “an”) in the Greek. If a Greek noun does not have a definite article (that is, the noun anarthrous), the idea expressed is a qualitative one. In other words, Jesus was God in quality. The indefiniteness of the word “God” attributes quality to the idea; that is, the Word held the quality of being God Himself.

Verses 1, 6, 12, 13, and (twice in verse) 18 do not have the definite article before the word “God.” Because these verses do not say “the God,” do they mean that God is “a” god?

In the English we place the predicate last: “The dog went home.” However, the Greek can place the predicate at the beginning: “Home the dog went.” This places emphasis on the word “home.” In John 1:1 the emphasis is on the word “God”— “God the Word was.” This is an emphatic statement of the deity of the Word. The Word was God without diminish. Nothing modifies His essence as God Himself. Nothing subtracts or limits His deity.

The position of the word “God” as first in the sentence makes it a predicate stressing description rather than individualization. The Word was coexistent with God and in unity with Him. The lack of the definite article “the” in the predicate (“God”) is to show that the subject (the Word) can be distinguished from the Father.

The definite article before “Word”—that is, “the Word”—shows that the Word is the subject. The fact that the word “God” is a predicate demonstrates that it describes the nature of the Word. The “Word” and “God” are the same in nature and essence. The ultimate effect of ordering the words this way is to emphasize the word “God”—the Word was God Himself.

The word “God” is first in the sentence, giving it emphasis: “God was the Word.” However, the Greek makes “the Word” the subject of the sentence. Placing the word “God” first in the sentence makes it emphatic. The Word is emphatically God Himself. Grammatically, to make the word “God” as indefinite as “a god” is sheer folly (2 Co 1:21; 5:19; Ga 6:7; 2 Th 2:4). Although the Word was not the same as God the Father in person, they were the same in essence. Both are God Himself. Everything said about the Father can be said about the Son because they are the same essence.

To imply, as do Jehovah Witnesses and others, that the absence of the definite article “the” before God speaks of “a god” indicates a lack of knowledge of Greek grammar.

If John would have put a definite article before both the Word and God, then it would mean that they were the same person, which is the heresy of Sabellianism. This would have contradicted the previous statement making them distinct.

No Greek lexicon translates the word “God” in this verse as divine. The Word was not divine but deity.

PRINCIPLE:

What God was, the Word was.

APPLICATION:

We cannot take Christianity very seriously unless we recognize Christ as God Almighty. There can be no true worship without acknowledging the Word as God. Christ as God as infinite value.

The Christian finds in Jesus the very life of God. We find in Christ what we anticipate God to be. The Word was not “a god,” not “the God,” but “The Word was God.” The Word or Christ possessed deity.

The first clause of John 1:1 (“in the beginning was the Word”) gives the eternality of the Son or the Word. The second clause (“and the Word was with God”) expresses the Word’s communion with the Father in eternity past. The third clause (“and the Word was God”) sets forth His deity.

John as a monotheistic Jew would have never referred to the Word as “a god.” He could not have put the definite article “the” before the word “God” because this would have equated the Father and the Son. It is common for the Greek structure in our verse to use God without the definite article to refer to God Almighty (definite nominative predicate noun preceding a finite verse without the article). If John simply wanted to refer to the Word as divine as over against deity, he could have used an entirely different word (theios, not theos).

There are people who say, “I can accept Jesus as a moral teacher but not as God.” Any man who said what Jesus said about Himself and not be God would not be truthful or moral. He would be a lunatic or deluded. The Bible does not leave the option that Jesus was a mere man.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus compared these last days to Noahs day( 99.9% mislead)Luke 17:26) 99% today are being mislead-Why? There is a simple way to see if the ones teaching them are lead by Jesus or not. Jesus teaches--Man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY utterance from God--thus the ones teaching his flock, without fail are teaching-EVERY utterance from God to them= OT-NT it never stops. Every real follower learns and applies EVERY utterance from God to the best of their abilities, it never stops.
The reason Jesus teaches-FEW will find the road that leads off into life( be saved)is because FEW bother learning and applying every utterance from God-Why? Because in 99% of all religion claiming to be christian they do not bother teaching every utterance from God, instead they tickle ears with-you are saved and ask for a tithe which we are no longer under the Mosaic law. The bible calls those blind guides-they are these 2 Cor 11:12-15--RUN FROM THEM.
Find the ones Jesus is with= 1 single religion-1Cor 1:10)= Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth via holy spirit guidance) no division.
Getting Old friend, time for us all to get back on subject Please Daniel

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Observant Jews have traditionally not used the name Yahweh, refusing to pronounce the so-called proper name of God out of respect

Or out of fear because they know they have rejected the Messiah and are in deep doo doo!

According to Jewish teachings and law, one may not pronounce this name phonetically according to the way it’s written in Hebrew.

Where does God's Word teach this?

It doesn't so this is another case of people adding to God's Word, reading in something it does not say

Friend, there's your arogance again.

He's right. Those that are skeered and not in right standing with the Lord won't say GOD which by the way is Who He is as this is not His Name.

So his supposed "arrogance" is not agreeing with you!

The nerve of that guy! coffee-smiley.gif

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or out of fear because they know they have rejected the Messiah and are in deep doo doo!

Where does God's Word teach this?

It doesn't so this is another case of people adding to God's Word, reading in something it does not say

He's right. Those that are skeered and not in right standing with the Lord won't say GOD which by the way is Who He is as this is not His Name.

So his supposed "arrogance" is not agreeing with you!

The nerve of that guy! View attachment 43161

Getting back on subject yes some gift of tongues are genuine. One must test what they see agains the Scriptures.

1710193579931.png

Reactions: amigo de christo

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So true!!!
Wow, you are all in big trouble--When God does this--They will have to know i am Jehovah-- you will be shaking in your boots. You could listen now, it takes believing Jesus, but you outright refuse, thus remain in Gods wrath.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, you are all in big trouble--When God does this--They will have to know i am Jehovah-- you will be shaking in your boots.
Why would I be shaking in my boots because I quoted your JW bible?
You could listen now, it takes believing Jesus, but you outright refuse, thus remain in Gods wrath.
Explain REMAIN! You believe in Hell now?

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would I be shaking in my boots because I quoted your JW bible?

Explain REMAIN! You believe in Hell now?
Jesus assures, those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed. Blind guides=these 2 Cor 11:12-15 cannot understand symbolism from truth on matters. And the blind listen to them.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus assures, those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed. Blind guides=these 2 Cor 11:12-15 cannot understand symbolism from truth on matters. And the blind listen to them.
Well if you're right I will be fine. I will have ETERNAL peace! If you're wrong you will burn in Hell, as your JW bible says, "Forever and ever"!

I can't lose but you certainly can.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well if you're right I will be fine. I will have ETERNAL peace! If you're wrong you will burn in Hell, as your JW bible says, "Forever and ever"!

I can't lose but you certainly can.
Missing out on eternal life in Gods kingdom= one loses.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But worse than that is burning in Hell fire "forever and ever" as the JW bible says.
Jesus assured all, those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed. Why won't you believe Jesus? Darkness is why.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can see from the scripture that one of these spiritual gifts is a gift called divers kinds of tongues. It is followed with another spiritual gift called interpretation of tongues. Wherefore, there is no spiritual gift which causes Christians to speak with tongues called "the gift of tongues". But, there is a gift called divers kinds of tongues which causes some Christians to speak with diversities of tongues.
Chuckle!!! Nothing but "Word games", and silly "Hair splitting".

• Love

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus assured all, those walking the broad and spacious path will be destroyed.
No He didn't. Even the JW bible says Rev 20 "they will be tormented day and night FOREVER"!
Why won't you believe Jesus? Darkness is why.
Why don't you quote Scripture?

Matthew 25:41
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:

• Love

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No He didn't. Even the JW bible says Rev 20 "they will be tormented day and night FOREVER"!

Why don't you quote Scripture?

Matthew 25:41
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Matt 7:14= destruction Jesus said. The other teachings are symbolic. The darkness cannot understand it.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chuckle!!! Nothing but "Word games", and silly "Hair splitting".

2 Peter 1

Easy-to-Read Version

1 Greetings from Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ.
To all of you who share in the same valuable faith that we have. This faith was given to us because our God and Savior Jesus Christ always does what is good and right.
2 Grace and peace be given to you more and more, because now you know God and Jesus our Lord.

God Has Given Us Everything We Need​

3 Jesus has the power of God. And his power has given us everything we need to live a life devoted to God. We have these things because we know him. Jesus chose us by his glory and goodness, 4 through which he also gave us the very great and rich gifts that he promised us. With these gifts you can share in being like God. And so you will escape the ruin that comes to people in the world because of the evil things they want.
5 Because you have these blessings, do all you can to add to your life these things: to your faith add goodness; to your goodness add knowledge; 6 to your knowledge add self-control; to your self-control add patience; to your patience add devotion to God; 7 to your devotion add kindness toward your brothers and sisters in Christ, and to this kindness add love. 8 If all these things are in you and growing, you will never fail to be useful to God. You will produce the kind of fruit that should come from your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who don’t grow in these blessings are blind. They cannot see clearly what they have. They have forgotten that they were cleansed from their past sins.
10 My brothers and sisters, God called you and chose you to be his. Do your best to live in a way that shows you really are God’s called and chosen people. If you do all this, you will never fall. 11 And you will be given a very great welcome into the kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, a kingdom that never ends.
12 You already know these things. You are very strong in the truth you have. But I am always going to help you remember them.
13 While I am still living here on earth, I think it is right for me to remind you of them. 14 I know that I must soon leave this body. Our Lord Jesus Christ has shown me that. 15 I will try my best to make sure you remember these things even after I am gone.

We Saw Christ’s Glory​

16 We told you about the power of our Lord Jesus Christ. We told you about his coming. The things we told you were not just clever stories that people invented. No, we saw the greatness of Jesus with our own eyes. 17 Jesus heard the voice of the great and glorious God. That was when he received honor and glory from God the Father. The voice said, “This is my Son, the one I love. I am very pleased with him.” 18 And we heard that voice. It came from heaven while we were with Jesus on the holy mountain.[a]
19 This makes us more sure about what the prophets said. And it is good for you to follow closely what they said, which is like a light shining in a dark place. You have that light until the day begins and the morning star brings new light to your minds. 20 Most important of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in the Scriptures comes from the prophet’s own understanding. 21 No prophecy ever came from what some person wanted to say. But people were led by the Holy Spirit and spoke words from God.

Status
Not open for further replies.