Thoughts on Church Unity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen first brought up this subject in another post. As this deals closely with successful spiritual warfare, I thought it would be timely to offer my thoughts on the subject as well. This post is a little lengthy but, imo, the subject matter is important enough to take the extra time. I hope you agree that this is something we all can work on together.

Church has taken on a new meaning with the advent of the internet. Many people who previously had no other opportunities for Christian fellowship without attending a church, now have the opportunity to fellowship with other believers from all over the world. This has had both positive and negative influences on the individual believer. Positive, in the sense that many Christians no longer feel as lonely and negative because having a faceless conflict with a person who believes differently than you leads to acting in a more unchristian like manner than you would do if you were speaking to the person face to face. When I am speaking of the church in this article, I’m not only speaking about the local body but the internet community as well.

The church of today has gotten jaded, complacent and selfish. We are all so involved in the day to day aspects of our lives in this world that we forget this world is not our permanent home. Our permanent home is in heaven. The unity of believers, outside of our personal reconciliation to God, is the major desire that God has for His church. He desires us to be one with each other as we are one in Jesus Christ and He is one with His heavenly Father. Unity is more than having the same goals or believing in the same doctrines. It goes much deeper than that. It is a life of self-sacrifice, lived out of a love and deep abiding respect for one another. We must accept the faults of our brothers and sisters in Christ and love them anyway and pray they overlook our faults in the same manner. We need to see each other the way God sees us as pure through the blood that was shed for us. The bible tells us to "be holy as God is holy". While we as individuals will never attain the holiness of God, it doesn’t change our responsibility to strive to live as holy as we can. The local church and individual believers are God’s ambassadors to this world. The church community will also never attain perfection until we reach heaven, but the church has the responsibility to be as close to heaven’s idea of perfection as we can be as a witness to the unbelievers of this world.

We do, however, need to realize that the church will not reach our potential through any efforts of a pastor. The Body of Christ, in its many venues, needs to desire it first. We, as the latter day church should be as different from the religious world as our first century contemporaries were different from those that continued in accepted Jewish practices. As in any new undertaking, there will be difficulties that cross our path as we struggle to be the type of body that God wants us to be. This goal will never be reached while we sit on our hands and wait for whatever new program the church leaders come up with. I have to admit that I see the role of pastor somewhat differently than is traditionally accepted. I see the role of pastor as being a spiritual step-father. He does not usually come from within the church body, but from outside, inheriting us through the acceptance of God’s leading and the local body’s desire to hire him. A pastor should take the time to learn about the people in the church and discover where we are in our spiritual maturity both as individuals and as the local body of Christ. Like a parent, he should lead and guide us to achieve the most of our spiritual potential, utilizing the spiritual gifts that we have all been given. We all grow in different stages, like a family with several children of various ages. The pastor must handle each person’s growth differently, allowing independence of the individual and the body as we mature. However, this is one area where the pastor typically fails. We as believers are not inspired to achieve independence.

What do I mean by that? Personally, I don’t expect from a pastor what we are typically used to believing their function should be. I don’t expect him to run the Sunday School dept., administrate, evangelize, teach or even deliver sermons. Those chores are what we as the body are supposed to do by utilizing our spiritual gifts. All I expect of a pastor is hours of prayer for his flock and personal involvement in our spiritual lives as mentors and wisdom and God’s leading when we get into situations that we can’t solve ourselves through prayer and study of God’s word. Do you want to know what one of the major excuses will be when we stand before God at the Bema Seat Judgment will be? "But the pastor whom you gave to lead us...". That’s right, we’ll be echoing the example of Adam when he said,..."but the woman thou gave to me...". We are all given a mind to read God’s word for ourselves and to pray and study, "to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling". It behooves us then to "be all that we can be" as members of God’s army. There may come a time when we are all called to be pastors or mentors to searching individuals in the latter days, when public church attendance may be outlawed! Are you ready for that responsibility? No!? Then get ready!

We wonder why our children have a tendency to leave the church as soon as they are old enough. I’ll tell you why! The church of today, as a rule, is boring and meaningless. Sure, there are special meetings where God pours out His Spirit among us or when we have been personally blessed, but don’t you think that should be the rule rather than the exception? If as a teenager, what the majority of them can expect is to be passive listeners, perhaps achieving SS teacher status for the next fifty years, I’d run screaming too. In fact I have, more than once! There is a growing segment of believers who no longer attend church for a variety of reasons. However, not being a member of a local church does not relieve you from the responsibilities you have as a member of God’s body universal.

By listening to non-churched believers express themselves via chat rooms or communities, I’ve learned that many of them have a desire to be more greatly used by God. Maybe I’m just putting words to thoughts you’ve had as well. You attend church services religiously but something appears to be missing. Some quality that is hard to define or put into words. If what I have written stirs something in your spirit, then let the pastor know how you feel, if you have one. All I ask is that you not settle for less when more is attainable.

A house that is divided cannot stand. That is why unity on both a spiritual and physical level is necessary. When Satan comes with his army in the last days we must be able to stand against him and he will most likely attack from within, destroying unity wherever he finds it. Satan’s ultimate power of destruction comes when he tempts Christians to attack each other over minor issues. Many Christians wander around in their own little world believing that God won’t let anything harm them, but let me tell you brothers and sisters that God gave us an armor for a reason. The battle will not be an easy one even though God is at our side. Many of our Christian brethren will fall and be deceived because they felt they were impervious from the attacks of Satan. This is one of the reasons I believe it is important for believers to stop "having" church and start "being" the church. The army that is ready to defend itself, practices. Are we practicing for the battle? Do we have our sword in our hand and our armor on? From my observations, I don’t think we as the church universal are prepared to do much spiritual warfare.

It is not only important that we are ready to defend our faith, we must also know how to attack the enemy before he has a chance to strike. We should attack hard and with Godly purpose and determination. Our whole lives should have been spent preparing for the battle we are about to undertake. Many will die and precede us to heaven, but the question we should ask ourselves is, how will we die? Will we die victoriously fighting or cowering in defeat? The time for rest and relaxation is over and the time to make battle preparations has come. It is also important to remember that when one member of the body is wounded, we must join together in unity with them until they are fully restored. We are all one and are dependent on each other to perform the functions that God gave us. I may have spiritual gifts that you don’t have and you probably have gifts that I don’t have. We each have our individual experiences in different areas that make us unique to the body of Christ. When we unite ourselves in these areas under the cloak of humility and love for each other and the Lord, we become mightier as a whole than as individuals. It is by working harmoniously together that we are given the secrets of successful living. Spiritual maturity is always determined by our willingness to sacrifice our own desires for the interests of the kingdom or for the sake of others. The door that requires the greatest sacrifice to open will always take us to a higher spiritual level. There is no real courage if there is no real danger. As we have been wounded and healed on different levels, through those wounds we have the grace to help and heal others.

We are soldiers of the last battle. The OT and NT prophets saw the days we are in dimly, through prophetic visions. We have been given the great honor to live them. We are the final act of God’s history for this world, to influence the world in a positive manner. The writers of the NT and the believers are not our hope. We are their hope. There may be more to the scripture, "the first shall be last and the last shall be first", then we think. God is preparing a mighty outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon us, but we must be ready to receive it. We must be preparing our skills to follow God’s leading wherever it may be. One thing is for sure, while we all pray for a revival to come, it will not come until the church is ready to handle it. It is possible that our churches will literally be flooded with hundreds of seekers, but will the local body be prepared to handle the onslaught. The pastor certainly can’t do it himself, nor should he be expected to. We must prepare ourselves to be light in the darkness, teachers of the lost, and guides in the way of the Lord. If a revival of this scale was to occur, could your church handle it? I’m not talking about the size of your building because where we worship is unimportant. We will be meeting in homes again, I guarantee it. I am talking about the servitude of the local church body. Are you ready to host an in-house church? If not, ask your pastor to start training the laity to perform this most important function. God is waiting for us to get ready for what is to come. How long will we keep Him waiting?

The church is now a shadow of what it once was and far from where we should be at this time in history. We must return to the cross! As the latter days church, we will not be greater than previous generations, but it will take more of His grace and power to accomplish more than the church in any other age had to accomplish. We will walk more in His power because we are part of His final representatives to the world. We must demonstrate His nature and ways as they have never been demonstrated before. "To whom much is given, much will be required". We are not to fall into the trap of asking ourselves, "How can God use me?" All we have to do is abide in Him and be willing. God is able to the greatest things with the plainest of tools, if we allow Him to. If "we will draw near to Him, he will draw near to us". It is within our power to decide how close we will be to God, He does not choose that for us. Never stop seeking more of God! The more confidence we lose in ourselves, the more power God will be able to trust us with. All of our failures will result from one thing, self-centeredness. Love does not seek its own glory. It is God’s glory that unifies. As we come together with those that are like-minded, God’s glory will be magnified and as His glory is magnified we will love each other more because we will see His glory in each other. As we prepare to march in His last days’ army, we will march under a great banner and we will all be able to sing that song, "His Banner Over Me Is Love".

* some excerpts taken from "The Final Quest" by Mark Juyner.

Reactions: FHII

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's "The Quest" and the author is Mark Joyner. His congregation are those who buy his books. Then you can be your own individual church because the historic church is too rotten. The Bible says that's impossible. Jesus keeps His promises.
'

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Whatever happened to being lead, and taught by The Holy Spirit so that no man will have any need that man teach him...?

Reactions: Truth

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus keeps His promises.
'
Yes Jesus kept His promised and built His church that men have tried to copy but made a mess of, His church made up of spiritual people, not like mens carnal religions built upon mens doctrines, mens traditions, mens understanding, built by "mens" hands all to keep Gods people from Him,

Luk_11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

and

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

which is al mens religions do, shut up teh gates of heaven and keep men trapped in prison. What ever happened, as Pia put it to Gods representative on earth,

Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

mens churches will always be divided, because they all seek recognition and mens approval, and they will all fall into a heap.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After attending many churches, I have determined the importance of attending is to engage with people and practice our sanctification by loving each other. As far as spiritual instruction or gaining wisdom from church programming - it is mostly irrelevant, glib, and redundant. If I am not plugged into prayer and practicing my sanctification inside and outside the church walls, my Christianity is reduced to just an identity. Church alone is not sufficient for growth. It is the equivalent to attending your own wedding everyday with your spouse and calling it a marriage.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would seem that "church unity" is looked at in two different ways.

Personally, I see church unity in the scriptures as a guiding understanding of our being one body, and that it is also an encouragement, that having many divers gifts, we are one in spite of our differences. What I see in the church these days is , church unity being used as a guilt trip to get members in lockstep with one another...or simply to limit complaining. Pastors seem to get weary and turn their frustration into a lecture on unity. Too bad. I much prefer the idea of Oneness, while not being afraid to celebrate our divers gifts and contributions to the commission of which we have been commanded.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As we prepare to march in His last days’ army, we will march under a great banner and we will all be able to sing that song, "His Banner Over Me Is Love".

* some excerpts taken from "The Final Quest" by Mark Juyner.
My understanding is that it is Rick Joyner..not Mark Juyner! ??
I had the book once'
He is a good 'guesser'!!. He has prophesied stuff for decades now...one day he'll probably get it right. :)
I enjoyed your post ...
I very much liked the chapter in the book Final Quest where he enters the Throne room and those at the back..who could hear the voice of the Lord, but were too far back to "see His face" resounded with me greatly. I never forgot that "picture".
Don't hang your hat too much on Rick Joyner..not all that he says "came by vision" really did. Just saying..(I know someone who knows him well)
But, even that doesn't mean that we cannot take things and learn from them..even if they didn't 'come' quite how he says they came.
Jesus said Matt 23 "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not."
Not sure I like the phrase "Church Unity"....that sounds a bit like "Denomination church unity." I don't see it happening.
*But, that said...when the chips are down and our backs are against the wall...we will pull together in the Love of The Father..as ONE.
The thing is..we are not trying to become ONE, we ARE ONE, there is only one Body. His, and He is the Head. We just haven't grasped it yet.
Eph 4:4 "There is one Body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling.. One Lord, one faith, one baptism..."

Bless you....H

Reactions: Truth

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Trekson
Thanks for a great post. Most truth I seen in here. I scratch the surfice in here with people and they get very hurt. Thanks for the effort it took to write a post this long. I agree with most of it. I would like to come back and talk a little further on some points. Mostly about what are we actully doing in the battle today and the main one to come. Whar are you practicing today that will help people in the future and today?

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only place you'll find "church unity" is in the Spiritual Church.

And since only God knows the heart, we are limited in our knowledge of who is in the Spiritual Church.
2 Chronicles 6:30
...then hear from heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, and give to everyone according to all his ways, whose heart You know (for You alone know the hearts of the sons of men),..."

Reactions: Job and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
After attending many churches, I have determined the importance of attending is to engage with people and practice our sanctification by loving each other.
i've done better outside 7-11s, with those in need personally. I actually never go in the place lol
churches or 7-11s :)

Reactions: Helen

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And since only God knows the heart, we are limited in our knowledge of who is in the Spiritual Church.

Actually we have no knowledge of who is in the Spiritual Church. One would need the ability to search the heart of God to know those things.

Also, someone who is in the Spiritual Church wouldn't know with any certainty if he or she were a member. We can hope and pray, but to actually know for sure is impossible.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually we have no knowledge of who is in the Spiritual Church. One would need the ability to search the heart of God to know those things.

Also, someone who is in the Spiritual Church wouldn't know with any certainty if he or she were a member. We can hope and pray, but to actually know for sure is impossible.
says who? You?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whatever happened to being lead, and taught by The Holy Spirit so that no man will have any need that man teach him...?
That is not in the Bible. It doesn't mean we don't need teachers. It means the deposit of faith has been given to the Apostles, and by default, their successors. "let no man teach you" means let no man insert their opinions into divine revelation given by God to Jesus who has given HIS VERY OWN AUTHORITY as commissioned to the Apostles and their successors.

Matthew 28:
18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

"therefore" is a conjunctive verb, joining HIS AUTHORITY in His commissioning the Apostles to baptize and teach. It does not mean any individual can rely on the Holy Spirit to teach themselves apart from the historic CHURCH.

Private revelation is not the issue here. If the Holy Spirit speaks to anyone privately, then such revelation is intended for that person, and nobody else. The exception is an acknowledged prophet in the community, but prophecy is not teaching, as Paul makes distinctions.
Ephesians 4:11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,

Who is the man of God in 2 Timothy 3:16-17?

There is the relationship: the Scriptures are a tool for "teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness," but who is to use this tool for these purposes? That is, who has the authority to teach, reproof, correct, and train others in righteousness? The "man of God" has this authority.
But, who is the "man of God?" You may wish to claim this title for yourself as well, but a short survey of Scripture's use of the title will reveal that this, too, is a privileged title that cannot be simply taken upon oneself:

Moses - "This is the blessing with which Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death." (Deut. 33:1)

"Then the people of Judah came to Joshua at Gilgal; and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenizzite said to him, 'You know what the LORD said to Moses the man of God in Kadesh-barnea concerning you and me.'" (Josh. 14:6)

The Angel of the Lord - "Then the woman came and told her husband, 'A man of God came to me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very terrible; I did not ask him whence he was, and he did not tell me his name...' Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said, 'O, LORD, I pray thee, let the man of God whom thou didst send come again to us, and teach us what we are to do with the boy that will be born.'" (Jud. 13:6, 8)

Samuel - "The servant answered Saul again, 'Here, I have with me the fourth part of a shekel of silver, and I will give it to the man of God, to tell us our way.'" (1 Sam. 9:8)

Elijah - "And she said to Elijah, 'What have you against me, O man of God? You have come to me to bring my sin to remembrance, and to cause the death of my son!'" (1 Kings 17:18)

Elisha - "And she went up and laid him on the bed of the man of God, and shut the door upon him, and went out... When Elisha came into the house, he saw the child lying dead on his bed." (2 Kings 4:21, 32)

David - "According to the ordinance of David his father, he appointed the divisions of the priests for their service, and the Levites for their offices of praise and ministry before the priests as the duty of each day required, and the gatekeepers in their divisions for the several gates; for so David the man of God had commanded." (2 Chr. 8:14)

St. Timothy - "But as for you, man of God, shun all this; aim at righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness." (1 Tim. 6:11)

Contrary to the opinion that the "man of God" can be any Christian without distinction, Scripture itself will not allow such an interpretation, insisting that the "man of God" is a figure of authority, either commissioned by God directly through Divine Intervention (such as Moses or the Angel), or appointed by another holder of authority (such as Samuel, David, Elisha, and St. Timothy).
By What Authority - A Challenge to Protestant Pastors

Last edited by a moderator:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

any other conclusion assumes qualities that we ascribe to God, seems to me

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Pia,

What happens when the Holy Spirit teaches me something different then he teaches you?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only place you'll find "church unity" is in the Spiritual Church.
Hi Job,

What is a Spiritual Church? I have never heard of one.

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would seem that "church unity" is looked at in two different ways.
Personally, I see church unity in the scriptures as a guiding understanding of our being one body, and that it is also an encouragement, that having many divers gifts, we are one in spite of our differences. What I see in the church these days is , church unity being used as a guilt trip to get members in lockstep with one another...or simply to limit complaining. Pastors seem to get weary and turn their frustration into a lecture on unity. Too bad. I much prefer the idea of Oneness, while not being afraid to celebrate our divers gifts and contributions to the commission of which we have been commanded.
Hi Scott,

Some Christians say abortion is murder some say it isn't.
Some say same sex marriage is acceptable most say it isn't.
Some say woman can be pastors/preachers/priest some say they can't.
Some believe in the real presence some say there is no such thing.
Some say baptism saves you others say it is just a public statement.
Some recognize the authority of the church they belong to and others say they don't need any authority over them.
ALL of them use scripture to back up their beliefs.

We OBVIOUSLY are not ONE.

Can you explain how "we are one in spite of our differences"? That statement seems to be an oxymoron to me.

Curious Mary

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We OBVIOUSLY are not ONE.

Can you explain how "we are one in spite of our differences"? That statement seems to be an oxymoron to me.
Just as Paul explained the "one body" analogy, the foot is not the eye, nor should it try to be, nor should they see thing the same or have the same perspective.

But what you see in the church today, is not division, it is the dead speaking.

Paul also goes on to say that women should be silent in church, meaning "the bride" is not to speak, but the Groom only. But you have not heard this in plain language, and therefore all things seen askew. And if I tell you that the leaders in the church should not speak or lead, you do not believe me and are offended. But why should the dead have a voice?