Three Days and Three Nights

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
What I believe is Jesus had to be dead/asleep for 3 full days. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know Jewish customs as well as I should, there are may others here that don't get involved in the topic IMO to avoid stubborn disagreement but have vast resources & understanding. Our calender and number of days in a year have both been moved, one I believe by man the other by God. But one thing I do know the stars that pass over head are an incorruptible time piece keeping track of the sessions they are signs. Because of the world we live in this day we can know with a better certainty, but may not always be the proper location we should place our faith. In that I like to say of such things are sometimes better not talked about, only in context of the advisory stealing away the young. Sometime we all just need to know when to be quiet and be seating between the feet of the Lord, listening and watching. thank You Tim.

A man can not listen nor hear when he's more concerned about about straightening out the affairs of others. Each stands on his own before God, we'll all get our chance to be heard. To those that have learned at the feet of Jesus; nether is any good the ox that is not yoked.

God Bless

Elle

Sep 27, 2012
What's good for goose is good for the gander and I quote:

"All this raving madness here over what day it was that our Lord Jesus was crucified, just BECAUSE some here would rather follow men's doctrines about it instead of heeding what God's Word reveals about it. A literal... 3 days and 3 nights is what Scripture states. That is how long Christ's body was in the tomb before being raised by The Father. And it MUST be reckoned using the Hebrew calendar reckoning of the day, not the later Gregorian calendar instituted in the 16th century A.D. that we still use today."

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
Well, we’re up to post #43 and only 1 post has mentioned something about the question that the OP asked. However, perhaps someone new looking in will have some documentation.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi veteran,

Thanks for bearing with me, and your further reply, which I missed, somehow.

I thought I had posted (on p1) about the Hebrew idiom of reckoning a part as a whole (such as the mention of 'taste' (death) in Hebrews 2, which has the same import as 'drank it all', but I can't find that post. (I guess I lost it and forgot about it.)

But it's because of those last hours of the 'day' Jesus was dead and buried, that I would count that period as the first 'day'. My understanding is, that all journeying home would have to be done prior to the sunset at which the high Sabbath was commencing.

After sunset on Saturday - ie Sunday - still counts as a 'night', even though it be partial, (for the same reason as the last part of Thursday light would count as a day).

This is how I see it, unless there are other good reasons for holding to Wednesday.

This is the start of the article about the month of Abib, (linked in my previous post), and how it's the barely which determines it.

'Biblical Leap Years​
The Biblical year begins with the first New Moon after the barley in Israel reaches the stage in its ripeness called Abib. The period between one year and the next is either 12 or 13 lunar months. Because of this, it is important to check the state of the Barley crops at the end of the 12th month. If the barley is Abib at this time, then the following New Moon is Hodesh Ha-Aviv ("New Moon of the Abib"). If the barley is still immature, we must wait another month and then check the barley again at the end of the 13th month.

By convention, a 12-month year is referred to as a Regular Year while a 13th month year is referred to as a Leap Year. This should not be confused with Leap Years in the Gregorian (Christian) Calendar, which involve the "intercalation" (addition) of a single day (Feb. 29). In contrast, the Biblical Leap Year involves the intercalation of an entire lunar month ("Thirteenth Month", also called "Adar Bet"). In general, it can only be determined whether a year is a Leap Year a few days before the end of the 12th Month.'

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Hi veteran,

Thanks for bearing with me, and your further reply, which I missed, somehow.

I thought I had posted (on p1) about the Hebrew idiom of reckoning a part as a whole (such as the mention of 'taste' (death) in Hebrews 2, which has the same import as 'drank it all', but I can't find that post. (I guess I lost it and forgot about it.)

But it's because of those last hours of the 'day' Jesus was dead and buried, that I would count that period as the first 'day'. My understanding is, that all journeying home would have to be done prior to the sunset at which the high Sabbath was commencing.

After sunset on Saturday - ie Sunday - still counts as a 'night', even though it be partial, (for the same reason as the last part of Thursday light would count as a day).

This is how I see it, unless there are other good reasons for holding to Wednesday.

God's timetables are very exact per His Word, and we should expect them to be since He is The Creator. So when our Lord Jesus said He would be in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights, we can literally rely on that as fact. So I don't see how anyone would think that meant anything but 3 days and 3 nights.

The timetable given in The Gospel Books for Christ's crucifixion, burial and resurrection are given per the Hebrew calendar reckoning for a day begining at sunset that was in use in that time. That's why I say we 'must' use that Hebrew reckoning to figure the 3 days and 3 nights.

Does counting the daytime of Wednseday when Christ was tried, crucified, and died get that 3 days and 3 nights His body was to be in tomb out of kelter? Yes. It's because counting the daytime of Wednseday before the burial would be adding a 4th daytime period onto the 3 days count.

When our Lord Jesus said "three days and three nights" He broke up the idea of a calendar day into two periods, the daylight hours, and the night time hours. That's how exact the timetable He gave is, very specific.

Imagine if He had only ever said something like '3 days', and not literally "three days and three nights"? With 3 days only as a time reference, we'd then have to completely rely on associated events, like the passover reckoning and sabbath day to figure the day of His resurrection. It could still be done properly, and that's another major point, i.e., the passover event's timing goes with that "three days and three nights" reckoning. He was crucified the day the passover lamb was to be killed per The Old Testament, even at the proper time at evening just prior to the start of the high sabbath with oncoming sunset.

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Notice that Christ said three days AND three nights. This is a period of 72 hours. Why do I say that? Well Christ, Himself, tells us how long the day is…

Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
Joh 11:10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Here He plainly tells us the day portion is twelve hours and then there is night. Days are reckoned from sunset to sunset (evening to evening)…

Lev 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

Days begin at sunset, contain a night portion and daylight portion (12 hours, remember John 11:9?) and are 24 hours in length.

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Night portion and a daylight portion made a day. So let’s see what God calls three days and three nights…

Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
Gen 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Gen 1:7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
Gen 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Gen 1:10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
Gen 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Three daylight portions and three nighttime portions make up three days and three nights. So Christ said He would be in the tomb for 72 hours, the only sign He would give that He was the Messiah…

Mat 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

So, the creator of all things including day and night…

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Knows exactly how long three days and three nights are and tells us so. Let’s look at this from a different viewpoint…

Mar 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Mar 9:31 For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

Now there is only one time span that fits after three days, on the third day and in three days. That is exactly 72 hours, no more no less. Paul agrees with this…

1Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
1Co 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Mar 15:42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,

Now what Sabbath was this the preparation day for?

Joh 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

What is a high day?

The term High Sabbaths is used by some Christians to refer to the Jewish High Holy Days. There are seven annual Biblical festivals specified in the books of Exodus and Deuteronomy.

“The seven festivals do not necessarily occur on the weekly Shabbat (seventh-day Sabbath) and are called by the name miqra ("called assembly") in Hebrew. They are observed by Jews and a minority of Christians. Three of them occur in spring: the first and seventh days of Pesach (Passover), and Shavuot (Pentecost). Four occur in fall, in the seventh month, and are also called shabbaton: Rosh Hashanah (Trumpets); Yom Kippur, the "Sabbath of Sabbaths" (Atonement); and the first and eighth days of Sukkoth.

The Gospel of John says of the night immediately following Christ's burial that "that sabbath day was a high day" (John 19:31-47). That night was Nisan 15, the first day of Passover week (Unleavened Bread) and an annual miqra and rest day, in most chronologies. (In other systems, it was Nisan 14, i.e., weekly but not annual Sabbath.) The King James Version may thus be the origin of naming the annual rest days "High Sabbaths".” – Wikipedia

The high day that follows the Passover is the First Day of Unleavened Bread and does not fall on the weekly Sabbath. In 31 AD it fell on a Thursday.

Now when did Mary Magdalene and her companions buy the spices to anoint Christ?

Mar 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

After the Sabbath was past. So here they are buying the spices, if you will now look at…

Luk 23:56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

So they bought the spices after the Sabbath, then prepared the spices and then rested on the Sabbath according to the Commandment. What Commandment? The Fourth Commandment, the weekly Sabbath. So they bought the spices after the Sabbath, then prepared the spices, then rested on the Sabbath, then brought them to anoint the body of Christ for a proper burial…

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

How then, does this timeline work?

Wednesday, April 25, 31AD – Passover: Christ died and was buried between 3:00pm and Sunset. This was also the preparation day for the High Day of John 19:31.

Thursday, April 26, 31AD – First Day of Unleavened Bread at around sunset was 1 day in the tomb.

Friday, April 27, 31AD – The preparation day for the weekly Sabbath. Remember the women prepared their spices and then rested according to the Commandment.

Saturday, April 28, 31AD – The weekly Sabbath. Christ’s resurrection occurred at around sunset.

Notice John’s account…

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Joh 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.

It was still dark and He was already gone. Of course He was, He rose from the dead on Saturday afternoon at around sunset, 72 hours after He was put in the tomb, just exactly as He said He would. With this one can have absolute assurance that Christ is the Savior of the world.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
To be exact, per an exact number of hours (72) for the "three days and three nights" His body was to be in the tomb, His being resurrected at sunset that began Sunday would be correct technically.

But we don't have any specific Scripture declaring the exact time on Sunday He rose, except for the Mark 16:9 verse...

Mark 16:9
9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven devils.
(KJV)

Nov 9, 2012
To be exact, per an exact number of hours (72) for the "three days and three nights" His body was to be in the tomb, His being resurrected at sunset that began Sunday would be correct technically.

But we don't have any specific Scripture declaring the exact time on Sunday He rose, except for the Mark 16:9 verse...

Mark 16:9
9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven devils.
(KJV)

Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this is saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. The time is not referring to when He arose but when He appeared to Mary M.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
John_8:32,

re: "Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this is saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. The time is not referring to when He arose but when He appeared to Mary M."

Allow me to revise your comment a bit to make it a little more accurate:

"Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this COULD be saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. SO the time MAY not BE referring to when He arose but RATHER TO when He appeared to Mary M.

Nov 9, 2012

re: "Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this is saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. The time is not referring to when He arose but when He appeared to Mary M."

Allow me to revise your comment a bit to make it a little more accurate:

"Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this COULD be saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. SO the time MAY not BE referring to when He arose but RATHER TO when He appeared to Mary M.

That is assuming that all the other scriptures that show it was exactly 72 hours are incorrect and that the Creator of higher mathematics (the math that is beyond human understanding, unified theory, etc.) can't count to three.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012

re: "That is assuming that all the other scriptures that show it was exactly 72 hours are incorrect..."

I’m not aware of any scriptures that say that the 3 days and 3 nights absolutely had to account for 72 hours. What do you have in mind?

re: "So they bought the spices after the Sabbath, then prepared the spices and then rested on the Sabbath according to the Commandment."

You use Mark 16:1 and Luke 23:56 to support the idea of 2 different Sabbaths.

While these two verses do seem to make a pretty compelling case for two separate Sabbaths, they are not a slam dunk. If the crucifixion took place on Friday, the women could have worked a short while on the spices that they already had before the seventh day Sabbath began, rested on the seventh day Sabbath, and after it ended, immediately gone out and bought more spices to finish their preparations.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Remember that commas were not part of the original manuscripts, but were added much later, so what this is saying is that after Christ rose, early on the first day He appeared first to Mary Magdalene. The time is not referring to when He arose but when He appeared to Mary M.

It could still be read either way, which is my point. Since He declared the amount of time, and also we're given the passover timing as a witness, understanding that He would resurrect literally after a period of 3 days and 3 nights ought to be enough, so He did not give us the specific hour of His resurrection. We just know it was sometime on the first day of the week, Sunday, between sunset Saturday and before dawn Sunday.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
We are now up to post #53 and still only 1 post has mentioned something about the question that the OP asked. However, perhaps someone new looking in will have some documentation.

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012

re: "Is scripture not acceptable?"

Scripture would be fine.

I need to modify the OP a bit, though.

"Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently suggest that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows an example from the first century or before regarding a period of time that is said to consist of a specific number of days as well as a specific number of nights where the period of time absolutely doesn't/can't include at least a part of each one of the specific number of days and at least a part of each one of the specific number of nights?"

Nov 9, 2012
If scripture is acceptable, then the following makes it really difficult to come up with less than seventy-two hours...

Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
Joh 11:10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus was saying that the daylight portion of a day is approximately twelve hours and then there is night. So, three days and three nights is 12 hours of daylght times 3 and then three night time portions which must be approximately twelve hours to get to the nxt daylight portion. Hence, three days and three night equals seventy-two hours.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Hell is living outside of God's Word. So when Jesus on the night of the LAST SUPPER on the evening of Wednesday would have been Thursday the 1st night when Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the tormentors by Judas the false one who sides with corrupted government to betray and hand over the true body of Christ.
He was now in hell in the hands of the ungodly. He was passed around being being mocked, spat on being prepared and tenderized by beatings having his HOLY GARMENT removed as God made him to be sin for us and taking our punishment.
All day Thursday was Day 1,after sundown would have been the dawn of a new day of the week being the 2nd night beginning Friday , then Friday day would be Day 2 and the day of preparation according to the Jews reheasal of the Passover Lamb, where they would bind the lamb to be ready to be prepared for EATING and there is not to be any left in the morning. Jesus was cruxified on Friday day and also taken down and put in the tomb before the evening which began the Sabbath. Friday evening would have been Saturday the 3rd Night and Saturday the 3RD Day, the Sabbath is when Jesus arose.

Mary came at sundown after the Sabbath ended which was dawning the first DAY OF THE WEEK, not day as in daylight for their days end at sundown.
Jesus had risen on the Sabbath just after midnight which was 6 hrs after he was placed in the tomb on FRIDAY DAY, just before the Sabbath eve began.

Mary came immediately after the sabbath had ended meaning just before sundown and found that the tomb had aleady been opened and found Jesus had already risen. She came and told the disciples, and that same evening being now the dawn of the 1ST Day of the Week
Jesus came and stood in the MIDST of the disciples who would MEET just after the sabbath was over UNTIL MIDNIGHT to feed upon the Word together away from the Synagogs where the JEWS wanted to harm them, yet they still sacrificed their selves by going into the Synagogs on the Sabbath to try and bring some of the Jews to Christ.
On our Gentile calender, the day does not end until MIDNIGHT, so they were still really keeping the Lord's Day on the 7th day, where as the church has misunderstood this to mean Sunday morning that we meet.

John 20:16-19
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
KJV

Jesus is the Tree of Life who stands in the MIDST of HIS GARDEN!

Blessings

Nov 9, 2012
Hell is living outside of God's Word. So when Jesus on the night of the LAST SUPPER on the evening of Wednesday would have been Thursday the 1st night when Jesus was betrayed into the hands of the tormentors by Judas the false one who sides with corrupted government to betray and hand over the true body of Christ.
He was now in hell in the hands of the ungodly. He was passed around being being mocked, spat on being prepared and tenderized by beatings having his HOLY GARMENT removed as God made him to be sin for us and taking our punishment.
All day Thursday was Day 1,after sundown would have been the dawn of a new day of the week being the 2nd night beginning Friday , then Friday day would be Day 2 and the day of preparation according to the Jews reheasal of the Passover Lamb, where they would bind the lamb to be ready to be prepared for EATING and there is not to be any left in the morning. Jesus was cruxified on Friday day and also taken down and put in the tomb before the evening which began the Sabbath. Friday evening would have been Saturday the 3rd Night and Saturday the 3RD Day, the Sabbath is when Jesus arose.

Mary came at sundown after the Sabbath ended which was dawning the first DAY OF THE WEEK, not day as in daylight for their days end at sundown.
Jesus had risen on the Sabbath just after midnight which was 6 hrs after he was placed in the tomb on FRIDAY DAY, just before the Sabbath eve began.

Mary came immediately after the sabbath had ended meaning just before sundown and found that the tomb had aleady been opened and found Jesus had already risen. She came and told the disciples, and that same evening being now the dawn of the 1ST Day of the Week
Jesus came and stood in the MIDST of the disciples who would MEET just after the sabbath was over UNTIL MIDNIGHT to feed upon the Word together away from the Synagogs where the JEWS wanted to harm them, yet they still sacrificed their selves by going into the Synagogs on the Sabbath to try and bring some of the Jews to Christ.
On our Gentile calender, the day does not end until MIDNIGHT, so they were still really keeping the Lord's Day on the 7th day, where as the church has misunderstood this to mean Sunday morning that we meet.

John 20:16-19
16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
KJV

Jesus is the Tree of Life who stands in the MIDST of HIS GARDEN!

Blessings
Hell is typically translated from hades in the N.T. and sheol in the O.T. It is a pit or a grave. It has nothing to do with infernal regions. From Bullingers...

App-35

Companion Bible
Appendix #35
35. "SHEOL".
HEBREW, SHEOL.

The first occurrence of this word is in Gen_37:35, where it is rendered "grave". It occurs sixty-five times in the Hebrew of the Old Testament; and only by studying each passage by itself can the student hope to gather the Biblical usage of the word. All heathen or traditional usages are not only worthless, but mischievous. The following are all the passages where the word "Sheol" occurs, with the rendering in each passage indicated thus :

1 = Grave 2 = Pit 3 = Hell
1. Gen_37:35. 3. Psa_18:5. 1. Ecc_9:10.
1. Gen_42:38. 1. Psa_30:3. 1. Son_8:6.
1. Gen_44:29; Gen_44:31. 1. Psa_31:17. 3. Isa_5:14.
2. Num_16:30; Num_16:33. 1. Psa_49:14; Psa_49:14-15. 3. Isa_14:9 (marg. grave ).
3. Deu_32:22. 3. Psa_55:15 (marg. grave ). 1. Isa_14:11.
1. 1Sa_2:6. 3. Psa_86:13 (marg. grave ). 3. Isa_14:15.
3. 2Sa_22:6. 1. Psa_88:3. 3. Isa_28:15; Isa_28:18.
1. 1Ki_2:6; 1Ki_2:9. 1. Psa_89:48. 1. Isa_38:10.
1. Job_7:9. 3. Psa_116:3. 1. Isa_38:18.
3. Job_11:8. 3. Psa_139:8. 3. Isa_57:9.
1. Job_14:13. 1. Psa_141:7. 1. Eze_31:15.
1. Job_17:13. 1. Pro_1:12. 3. Eze_31:16-17.
2. Job_17:16. 3. Pro_5:5. 3. Eze_32:21; Eze_32:27.
1. Job_21:13. 3. Pro_7:27. 1. Hos_13:14; Hos_13:14.
1. Job_24:19. 3. Pro_9:18. 3. Amo_9:2.
3. Job_26:6. 3. Pro_15:11; Pro_15:24. 3. Jon_2:2 (marg. grave ).
1. Psa_6:5. 3. Pro_23:14. 3. Hab_2:5.
3. Psa_9:17. 3. Pro_27:20.
3. Psa_16:10. 1. Pro_30:16.
As meaning "THE grave," it is to be distinguished from keber , A grave , or, burying-place (from kabar , to bury, first occurrence Gen_23:4) : and bor , a pit , generally hewn in the rock, hence used of a cistern (Gen_37:20) or a dungeon, &c., when dry. (See note on the word "well" in Gen_21:19.)

App-131

Companion Bible
Appendix #131
131. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
FOR
"HELL", ETC.

"Hell" is the English rendering of two different Greek words in the N.T. The English word is from the Anglo-Saxon hel , Genitive case helle = a hidden place, from the Anglo-Saxon helan = to hide. It is in the N.T. used as the translation of two Greek words :--
I. Gehenna . Gr. geenna . This is the transliteration of the Heb. Gai' Hinnom , i.e. the Valley of Hinnom or "the Valley" of [the sons of] Hinnom, where were the fires through which children were passed in the worship of Moloch.
In the O.T. Tophet was the Heb. word used, because it was a place in this valley.
In our Lord's day the idolatry had ceased, but the fires were still continually burning there for the destruction of the refuse of Jerusalem. Hence, geenna was used for the fires of destruction associated with the judgment of God. Sometimes, " geenna of fire". See 2Ki_23:10. Isa_30:33. Jer_7:31; Jer_7:32; Jer_19:11-14.
Geenna occurs 12 times, and is always rendered "hell", viz. Mat_5:22; Mat_5:29; Mat_5:30; Mat_10:28; Mat_18:9; Mat_23:15; Mat_23:33. Mar_9:45; Mar_9:47. Luk_12:5. Jam_3:6.
II. Hades . Gr. hades , from a (privative) and idein , to see (Ap. 133. I. i); used by the Greeks for the unseen world. The meaning which the Greeks put upon it does not concern us; nor have we anything to do with the imaginations of the heathen, or the traditions of Jews or Romanists, or the teachings of demons or evil spirits, or of any who still cling to them. The Holy Spirit has used it as one of the "words pertaining to the earth", and in so doing has "purified" it, "as silver tried in a furnace" (see notes on Psa_12:6). From this we learn that His own words "are pure", but words belonging to this earth have to be "purified".
The Old Testament is the fountain head of the Hebrew language. It has no literature behind it. But the case is entirely different with the Greek language. The Hebrew Sheol is a word Divine in its origin and usage. The Greek Hades is human in its origin and comes down to us laden with centuries of development, in which it has acquired new senses, meanings, and usages.
Seeing that the Holy Spirit has used it in Act_2:27; Act_2:31 as His own equivalent of Sheol in Psa_16:10, He has settled, once for all, the sense in which we are to understand it. The meaning He has given to Sheol in Psa_16:10 is the one meaning we are to give it wherever it occurs in the N.T., whether we transliterate it or translate it. We have no liberty to do otherwise, and must discard everything outside the Word of God.

The word occurs eleven times (Mat_11:23; Mat_16:18. Luk_10:15; Luk_16:23. Act_2:27; Act_2:31. 1Co_15:55. Rev_1:18; Rev_6:8; Rev_20:13; Rev_20:14); and is rendered "hell" in every passage except one, where it is rendered "grave" (1Co_15:55, marg. "hell"). In the R.V. the word is always transliterated "Hades", except in 1Co_15:55 (where "death" is substituted because of the reading, in all the texts, of thanate for hade ), and in the American R.V. also.
As Hades is the Divine Scriptural equivalent of Sheol , further light may be gained from Ap. 35, and a reference to the 65 passages there given. It may be well to note that while "Hades" is rendered "hell" in the N.T. (except once, where the rendering "the grave" could not be avoided), Sheol , its Hebrew equivalent, occurs 65 times, and is rendered "the grave" 31 times (or 54%); "hell" 31 times (4 times with margin "the grave", reducing it to 41.5%); and "pit" only 3 times (or 4.5 %).

"The grave", therefore, is obviously the best rendering, meaning the state of death (Germ. sterbend , for w 6a2 hich we have no English equivalent); not the act of dying, as an examination of all the occurrences of both words will show.
1. The rendering "pit" so evidently means "the grave" that it may at once be substituted for it (Num_16:30; Num_16:33. Job_17:16).
2. The rendering "the grave" (not "a grave", which is Hebrew keber or bor ) exactly expresses the meaning of both Sheol and Hades . For, as to direction , it is always down: as to place , it is in the earth: as to relation , it is always in contrast with the state of the living (Deu_32:22-25 and 1Sa_2:6-8); as to association, it is connected with mourning (Gen_37:34; Gen_37:35), sorrow (Gen_42:38. 2Sa_22:6. Psa_18:5; Psa_116:3), fright and terror (Num_16:27; Num_16:34) mourning (Isa_38:3; Isa_38:10; Isa_38:17; Isa_38:18), silence (Psa_6:5; Psa_31:17. Ecc_9:10), no knowledge (Ecc_9:5; Ecc_9:6; Ecc_9:10), punishment (Num_16:29; Num_16:34. 1Ki_2:6; 1Ki_2:9. Job_24:19. Psa_9:17 (R.V. = re -turned), corruption (Psa_16:10. Act_2:27; Act_2:31); as to duration resurrection is the only exit from it (Psa_16:11. Act_2:27; Act_2:31; Act_13:33-37. 1Co_15:55. Rev_1:18; Rev_20:5; Rev_20:13; Rev_20:14).

III. Tartaroo (occurs only in 2Pe_2:4) = to thrust down to Tartarus, Tartarus being a Greek word, not used elsewhere, or at all in the Sept. Homer describes it as subterranean (cp. Deu_32:22, which may refer to this). The Homeric Tartarus is the prison of the Titans, or giants (cp. Heb. Rephaim , Ap. 25), who rebelled against Zeus .

Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

Word for hell here is hades, means the grave. He was not left in the grave long enough for His flesh to rot (see corruption).

***NOTE: Sorry the formatting was not carried over from the Appendices of Bullingers Companion Bible. It is in the public domain and a free add-on to E-Sword adn definitely worth installing.***

rstrats

Sep 6, 2012
afaithfulone4u,

Do you have any information asked for in the OP?

BTW, you write: "...God made him [the Messiah] to be sin for us and taking our punishment."

What exact punishment did the Messiah take that would otherwise have to be taken by us?