Timing of the abomination of desolation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I beg to differ. In Matthew and Mark it is recorded that Jesus specifically mentioned there would be an AoD in his generation, forcing the people of his day to deal with in invasion into Jerusalem.

He did not say the AoD would happen in his generation. It didn't. None of the Olivet Discourse happened then nor has happened yet.

Jesus specifically mentioned the invasion by armies, assembled against Jerusalem, in Luke's version.

And that will happen in the future when the antichrist comes to rule from the city.

So yes, Jesus mentioned both the AoD and armies surrounding Jerusalem in his generation.

The Romans were already there with armies when Christ lived there. What Christ described was events that would happen 42 months before his return.

Jesus didn't use words to specifically associate the armies surrounding Jerusalem was the AoD. But he did mention both, and both were located in the same place in the Address. It's a logical inference that the AoD was the armies surrounding Jerusalem. The only way you can get to a future AoD is if you abandon Jesus' statement "all these things will happen in this generation."

That is what destroys your argument. "all these things" includes the second coming and rapture neither of those happened in the first century. You have to change it to "some of these things" in order to make most of the events happen in the first century and the last two events in the future. But, this supports my correct understanding that Christ described one generation who would see ALL the things he described including the second coming. A partial preterist view of the Olivet Discourse will never be correct based on these facts.

Mat 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

No one has seen those two events yet. Only the heresy of full preterism believes these two events happened.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This isn't just my opinion. This is how the bulk of the Church Fathers saw it, and how many scholars in history have seen it.

Which is meaningless. They also thought the Earth was flat and the Sun rotated around the Earth, the Earth being the center of the universe and they thought they lived in the end times with the second coming possible in their lives and that whatever Pope existed was the antichrist. Obviously they got all those things wrong.

Reactions: Keraz

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan is not a man. So he cannot be the "man of sin."

He isn't a female so the only other option is that he is a male, "he" proves he is a man, just not a human man. All angels are men. Gabriel means "man of God".

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Paul prophesied in 2 Thess 2:1-12, is events just before Jesus Returns.
That Jesus mixed up His prophesies in the OD, with what was soon to happen - in 70 AD and with end time events, is how almost all the Bible prophesies are. As Isaiah 28:13 says. Simple discernment is required.

Yes, 2 Thes 2 refers to the Last Days of the present age. The Olivet Discourse focuses on Jesus' generation. To compare the AoD in the Olivet Discourse with the Antichrist in 2 Thes 2 certainly needs more evidence.

I prove nothing?
2 Thess 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way. [1] That Day [Jesus Return] cannot come before a final rebellion against God, [2] when wickedness will be revealed in human form, in the man doomed to destruction. [3]
[1] A lot of people have been deceived. Matthew 24:4
[2] We are not yet in the 'final rebellion'. Revelation 12:7-9
[3] A man will be killed and his body will be taken over by Satan. Revelation 13:1-18

The only thing this proves is that there are other similar streams of thought in other passages. It does not prove the AoD of the Olivet Discourse is the Antichrist. The Antichrist, in fact, is *not* in the Olivet Discourse at all!

Jesus did not say what you have put above. He said; Learn a lesson from the fig tree; when it puts forth shoots and breaks into leaf, then you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things, you may know the end is near; at the very door. Truly I tell you the present generation will see it all. Matthew 24:32-34

We know that Judah is represented by the Fig tree. [Israel is the vine] Far from 'blossoming' in the 1st Century, they were killed and dispersed.
Obviously the end, as Jesus explains; Matthew 24:37-44, was not near for that generation.
It will be the generation present, those alive who see Judah become a nation again, who will see it all.

In speaking of "this generation" Jesus was referring to his own generation. Questions about the Fig Tree can be asked, but doesn't change this fact. I believe the Fig Tree refers not to Israel's blessings, but rather, to Israel's curses.

The Fig Tree's blossoming literally referred to God's Word, which is "blossoming" in the form of judgment. It is producing leaves, and not fruit. Judgment is gradually being revealed. This judgment is appearing with the season, with the Spring that produces new developments. It is not indicating more than a seasonal progression towards judgment.

It seems that I must repeat Bible facts to you:
Jesus said: I thank You Father....for hiding these things from the wise and learned and revealing them to the simple. Matthew 1:25-26
Isaiah 29:9-12 prophesied: If you confuse yourself, you will stay confused......for the Lord has poured upon you a spirit of deep stupor.......
The ECF's did not know the truths of the Prophetic Word. Neither do any of the so called prophecy experts today.
Proved by the almost total variety of opinions an beliefs among them all.

You are exalting your own opinions at the expense of people more learned than you! We are not here to produce new revelations, but to reinforce truths that have gone before. You will be more credible if you worked *with* the Church Fathers and historic Christian scholars than trying to hang yourself out on a limb, and then sawing it off!

I do not claim to know it all, but I have renounced any teachings that are irreconcilable with scripture. I am therefore; able to see the outline of God's Plans for His people during the forthcoming end times and how specific events fit into a logical sequence.
We DO have a future, so denying futurism is foolish. For those who keep their faith thru all that must happen, the rewards are amazing.

I agree we need to get truth for ourselves, apart from all other input. However, we need background to make educated judgments. I don't know why you say denying futurism is foolish? I don't deny futurism at all!

Futurism is far from being a 'fad'. If nothing else, it teaches us to stand firm in our faith whatever happens. And knowing what will happen, will be a great help to stand strong as we pass thru it all.

You misunderstood me, brother. I was referring to current fads in Futurism--not Futurism itself! I'm a futurist--I'm just not a Dispensationalist, with an assortment of contradictory speculations about the future. I know you reject the Pretrib Rapture, as well.

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
None of the Olivet Discourse happened then nor has happened yet.

Tell the Judean Christians who heeded Jesus' warnings and fled.

Thankfully, not one of them was a DF (Dispensational Futurist).

That saved their lives.

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
No, this is not the same thing. It's a similar thing, but not the same thing. Similar things are not the same things. Does history ever repeat itself? Yes. So similar things can happen again and again, and still not be the same thing.

My point is, the words AoD are not in 2 Thes 2. So no, though they may be similar, they are not the same. That really ends the argument.

You would have to prove that 2 Thes 2 exactly relates to the AoD of Jesus' Discourse. You don't always have to have the exact words to make them perfectly correlate. But there must be enough there to prove the same thing is being talked about.

At the very least, you must prove that they are in reference to the same time period. But you don't have that. Jesus is talking largely about his own generation. And 2 Thes 2 is talking about the Last Days. Two completely different contexts.

And there is no doubt in my mind that the AoD mentioned by Jesus takes place in his generation. He explicitly said so when he said "all these things" will take place in "this generation." By contrast, the Antichrist, according to Dan 7, appears in the last 3.5 years of this age.

Satan is not a man. So he cannot be the "man of sin."

First please understand " this generation " which Christ was referring to ,had it been in His (Christ time) He would be here now .
As for satan not being a man please read Ezekiel as he is indeed referred to as a man ,do the work but I'll give you a hint

Read Ezekiel 28

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Tell the Judean Christians who heeded Jesus' warnings and fled.

Thankfully, not one of them was a DF (Dispensational Futurist).

That saved their lives.

That which has been shall happen again ,yes the temple waa destroyed in 70ad however when Christ feet touch the ground at His return it shall be destroyed completely, which it isn't to this day

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Olivet Discourse focuses on Jesus' generation.

Not at all. The Olivet Discourse focuses on the last generation, the one living 42 months before the second coming. It is they that shall see ALL the things not the partial list you espouse.

Reactions: Keraz

covenantee

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That which has been shall happen again ,yes the temple waa destroyed in 70ad however when Christ feet touch the ground at His return it shall be destroyed completely, which it isn't to this day
Doesn't change the Judean Christians' flight, which is proven history confirming that Jesus' Olivet warnings were applicable to them in the time and situation of their generation.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation teaches us that the Gentiles shall occupy Jerusalem for 42 months at the time of the end. Daniel teaches us that the armed for es of the north will accomplish two things. To abolish the daily sacrifice and to place the abomination of desolation.

According to Daniel the abomination that causes desolation would be placed in Jerusalem 1290 days after the daily sacrifice is abolished.
That means about at the beginning of the occupation the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation would be placed in Jerusalem at the end of the occupation.
That would mean the abomination would be placed at the time of the end when the beast attacks Jerusalem killing its defenders. This coresponds to the king of the south attacking the king of the north who military is stationed in Jerusalem.

Now compare these verses. The first is the king of the north responding to the king of the souths attack.
Daniel 11:40 At the time of the end, the king of the South will engage him in battle, but the king of the North will storm out against him with chariots, horsemen, and many ships, invading many countries and sweeping through them like a flood.
Daniel 11:41 He will also invade the Beautiful Land, and many countries will fall. But these will be delivered from his hand: Edom, Moab, and the leaders of the Ammonites.
Daniel 11:42 He will extend his power over many countries, and not even the land of Egypt will escape.
Daniel 11:43 He will gain control of the treasures of gold and silver and over all the riches of Egypt, and the Libyans and Cushites will also submit to him.
Daniel 11:44 But news from the east and the north will alarm him, and he will go out with great fury to destroy many and devote them to destruction.
Daniel 11:45 He will pitch his royal tents between the sea and the beautiful holy mountain, but he will meet his end with no one to help him.
Daniel 12:1 "At that time Michael, the great prince who stands watch over your people, will rise up. There will be a time of distress, the likes of which will not have occurred from the beginning of nations until that time. But at that time your people--everyone whose name is found written in the book--will be delivered.

Now remember that last verse well because you will hear Jesus say the same thing again in the Bible when speaking of the abomination of desolation.

Matthew 24:15 NIV: "So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel--let the reader understand--
Matthew 24:16 NIV: then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
Matthew 24:17 NIV: Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house.
Matthew 24:18 NIV: Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak.
Matthew 24:19 NIV: How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
Matthew 24:20 NIV: Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.
Matthew 24:21 NIV: For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now--and never to be equaled again.

See that? Now we must conclude the abomination of desolation is placed in Jerusalem by the armed forces of the north AFTER the king of the south(the beast) attacks and kills the norths armed forces in Jerusalem.

According to Daniel 12 :1,it is at that time that Danie'sl people would be raised from the dead. This timing corresponds to the two witnesses coming back to life in Revelation. The next thing to happen is a cloud rises from Jerusalem.

I find it very interesting a cloud rises from Jerusalem the same time a divice (used to cause desolation) is placed in Jerusalem by the armed forces.

Does anyone know of a device used to cause desolation that causes a cloud to rise into the heavens?

I don't believe in Preterism, or even partial Preterism, but what Jesus is talking about regarding Daniel has to do with the subject He was talking about regarding the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

There is no "abomination of desolation" mentioned in Revelation, the book on the Great Tribulation to come and the second coming. The Great Tribulation regarding the woman, Israel, in Revelation 12 and 13 is two periods of 3.5 years each. The "rest of her offspring" is the Church. So, yes, the Church goes through the GT, but the Philadelphians will be protected like the children of Israel were protected by the blood during the plagues of Egypt

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
You misunderstood me, brother. I was referring to current fads in Futurism--not Futurism itself! I'm a futurist--I'm just not a Dispensationalist, with an assortment of contradictory speculations about the future. I know you reject the Pretrib Rapture, as well.
I understand you quite well. Like most Christians, you are blinded to the truth of Prophecy. As stated plainly in Isaiah 42:18-20 Who is so blind as My servants.....
It is God's good purpose to do that: Matthew 11:25-26 Why?, we can only guess and I don't do that.

But Daniel 12:10 does tell us that a few will understand the Prophecies.
1 Corinthians 14:22b says that Prophecy is only for believers.
So a Christian belief is a start, but to have fallen for any of the many theories and fables about the end times events, makes it very difficult to change, locked into them and the Book is sealed against perception of the truth as Isaiah 29:9-12 says. A complete mind change is required, a open mind and heart to allow the holy Spirit to give knowledge and understanding.

However most will not do that and John 14:29 tells us that when Prophecy does come to pass, then we will have faith.
We already have all the fulfilled prophecies about Jesus' first Advent and the conquest and dispersion of Israel and Judah, etc. They happened exactly as Prophesied. So will the events of the end times, the Millennium and then Eternity.

Reactions: ewq1938

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand you quite well. Like most Christians, you are blinded to the truth of Prophecy. As stated plainly in Isaiah 42:18-20 Who is so blind as My servants.....
It is God's good purpose to do that: Matthew 11:25-26 Why?, we can only guess and I don't do that.

You think that because I reject your prophetic interpretations that I'm blind? You think your interpretations are binding on all Christians?

But Daniel 12:10 does tell us that a few will understand the Prophecies.
1 Corinthians 14:22b says that Prophecy is only for believers.
So a Christian belief is a start, but to have fallen for any of the many theories and fables about the end times events, makes it very difficult to change, locked into them and the Book is sealed against perception of the truth as Isaiah 29:9-12 says. A complete mind change is required, a open mind and heart to allow the holy Spirit to give knowledge and understanding.

However most will not do that and John 14:29 tells us that when Prophecy does come to pass, then we will have faith.
We already have all the fulfilled prophecies about Jesus' first Advent and the conquest and dispersion of Israel and Judah, etc. They happened exactly as Prophesied. So will the events of the end times, the Millennium and then Eternity.

You spend all your time arguing about "seeing," when the real question is, What are you seeing? Just because some people in the OT were spiritually blind does not mean that your revelations are true, or that your judgments are just. God gets to decide that.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. The Olivet Discourse focuses on the last generation, the one living 42 months before the second coming. It is they that shall see ALL the things not the partial list you espouse.

We have a difference of opinion. Jesus, in my opinion, focused on the generation that was wicked in his time and would see--at least some of them--the fall of the temple worship and the fall of Jerusalem itself. If you don't want to believe that, you don't have to. But that's what I read.

The "list" of things to happen in his generation were the birth pangs, preceding the fall of the temple, and the fall of the temple, and Jerusalem, itself. Mention of Jesus' Coming was not part of the "list" of things to happen imminently because he specifically excluded it from any timing scheme.

And some things that would continue beyond that generation were mere continuations of events that did happen in Jesus' generation--things like the preaching of the Gospel, the persecution of believers, and the punishment of the Jewish People.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First please understand " this generation " which Christ was referring to ,had it been in His (Christ time) He would be here now .

I can't understand that because it is non-sensical. I know where you're trying to go with it, but it is unrealistic to think that's how the word "generation" was being used. Clearly, Jesus' generation was the one he grew up with. And it continued after his death until they also died.

As for satan not being a man please read Ezekiel as he is indeed referred to as a man ,do the work but I'll give you a hint
Read Ezekiel 28

I know the Bible. Satan is not referred to in that prophecy, unless it is purely an allusion to what he is like. That prophecy explicitly refers to the King of Tyre--not Satan.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have a difference of opinion. Jesus, in my opinion, focused on the generation that was wicked in his time and would see--at least some of them--the fall of the temple worship and the fall of Jerusalem itself. If you don't want to believe that, you don't have to. But that's what I read.

I never denied that but that was spoken at the temple and is not part of the Olivet Discourse.

The "list" of things to happen in his generation were the birth pangs, preceding the fall of the temple, and the fall of the temple, and Jerusalem, itself. Mention of Jesus' Coming was not part of the "list" of things to happen imminently because he specifically excluded it from any timing scheme.

That's wrong. It's clearly part of "all these things" and is the closest event next to that declaration. You just favor your belief over what Jesus said. Look for yourself:

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mat 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mat 24:32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:
Mat 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

I'm clearly right on this.

And some things that would continue beyond that generation were mere continuations of events that did happen in Jesus' generation--things like the preaching of the Gospel, the persecution of believers, and the punishment of the Jewish People.

One generation would witness the second coming and rapture. The disciples did not witness those things.

Reactions: Davy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never denied that but that was spoken at the temple and is not part of the Olivet Discourse.

I've heard this a number of times, but could never understand the argument. I understand Why someone would want to divide the Olivet Discourse, which I think started at the temple. But from the construction in the 3 versions of the Olivet Discourse there seems to be a seamless presentation of the fact of the fall of Jerusalem and the question When it will take place.

This places the entire conversation in the same basket. It all pertains to the fall of Jerusalem, as predicted by the Prophet Daniel in ch. 9. Anyway, I suppose we'll have to leave it there?

That's wrong. It's clearly part of "all these things" and is the closest event next to that declaration. You just favor your belief over what Jesus said. Look for yourself:

Jesus was answering two or more questions--not just one. He was telling his Disciples when Jerusalem would fall, which would be in their generation. And he was telling them when he would be coming again to set up his Kingdom.

So Jesus attempted to persuade his Disciples not to try to anticipate his Coming, and to focus instead on their own time and ministry. The time of his Coming was excepted from the list of things to happen in their generation.

There would be preliminary signs of an impending fall of Jerusalem. And then there would be the fall of Jerusalem itself. His Coming would have nothing to do with it, because it would come after a long dispersion of the Jewish People, and would happen at a time when people are not ready for it, or able to anticipate it.

The only way to prepare for it is by living a Christian life all the time. To be ready always is to always be living the Christian life, no matter what generation you live in, no matter if Christ returns in that generation or not.

Matt 24.36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe in Preterism, or even partial Preterism, but what Jesus is talking about regarding Daniel has to do with the subject He was talking about regarding the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.

But your last statement above is indeed agreeing with Preterism, because they treat the destruction of the building upon the temple mount that Jesus pointed to in His Olivet discourse as being fulfilled in 70 A.D. If that was the time He was actually pointing to, His disciples would NOT have asked Him to tell them the sign of His coming and the end of the world.

Preterism tries to change the meaning of that word "world" in Matthew 24:3 too, replacing it with the idea of an 'age', put for a certain generation, the generation of His Apostles. As others here have already shown though, if that was true like all a reference for 70 A.D., then Jesus would not have included that 'not one stone atop another' in "all these things" the generation of His 2nd coming is to see. Thus the 70 A.D. destruction of the temple and Jerusalem can serve only as a 'type' for the coming final destruction there at the very end of this world when Jesus returns.

There is no "abomination of desolation" mentioned in Revelation, the book on the Great Tribulation to come and the second coming.

Well, there kind of is. It's at the latter part of the Revelation 13 Chapter...

Rev 13:13-15
13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,
14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
KJV

The "abomination of desolation" event per the Book of Daniel is about the ending of the daily sacrifices in Jerusalem by the coming "vile person" (i.e., pseudo-Christ of Matthew 24:23-26). And in its place, he is to setup an abomination idol. That is what the "abomination of desolation" is about, the placing of an IDOL for false worship inside a Jewish temple in Jerusalem. And we've already had a blueprint example that God gave us back in history with Antiochus Epiphanes.

Antiochus IV, or Epiphanes, around 165 B.C. took Jerusalem with an army, went inside the 2nd temple and sacrificed swine upon the altar and spread its broth around inside the temple, spiritually desolating it. Then he setup an idol abomination for Zeus worship and demanded all bow to it. Preterists love to say Antiochus fulfilled that per Daniel 11 about the "vile person", but there's still prophetic parameters written that Antiochus failed to fulfill, so that means look for another, which is why Lord Jesus quoted that "abomination of desolation" being about the very end just prior to His 2nd coming at the literal end of this world.

The Great Tribulation regarding the woman, Israel, in Revelation 12 and 13 is two periods of 3.5 years each. The "rest of her offspring" is the Church. So, yes, the Church goes through the GT, but the Philadelphians will be protected like the children of Israel were protected by the blood during the plagues of Egypt

Protected how? Physically? No. That promise is not there. The mode of protection for the future "great tribulation" time will be with NOT being deceived to bow to the coming false-Messiah who will play Christ. And that means even being willing to face death of our flesh in order to not bow to that false one, nor his IDOL abomination he will setup, i.e., the "image of the beast". That is what escaping the temptation is about, not physical escape, SPIRITUAL escape by NOT being deceived.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But your last statement above is indeed agreeing with Preterism, because they treat the destruction of the building upon the temple mount that Jesus pointed to in His Olivet discourse as being fulfilled in 70 A.D. If that was the time He was actually pointing to, His disciples would NOT have asked Him to tell them the sign of His coming and the end of the world.

I'm sorry but I have to keep saying this. Belief that the Olivet Discourse had to do primarily with Jesus' own generation is not always Preterism! The Church Fathers believed that Jesus was speaking of the Roman siege laid against Jerusalem and about the destruction of the temple. And they were *not* Preterists.

This is an historical interpretation of the prophecy, and all prophecy, at some point, must be interpreted historically. Not every prophecy that mentions the end of the age has to do solely with the end of the age.

In this particular Discourse Jesus is focusing primarily on the destruction of the temple and the destruction of Jerusalem. That is plainly indicated in all synoptic versions of the Discourse. It is unmistakable.

And when Jesus said this mind-blowing statement, which would change Jewish religion forever, his disciples naturally wanted to know exactly when this was going to happen, if it was going to affect them? And Jesus plainly said that their generation would not pass away before it took place. In other words, prepare your friends and family to experience it. Prepare to leave when the Roman armies begin to appear on the horizon.

The initial signs showed that Israel was worthy of being judged. Signs like earthquakes and famines would show this--it was God's way of showing His displeasure with that generation. And Jesus, in Matt 23, made it clear that he was focused on his own generation, whose wickedness was bringing upon Israel the worst calamity in its history, which would not only bring about the destruction of Jerusalem, but also a great dispersion lasting for an entire age!

This is the historical interpretation of this Discourse, which most of the Church Fathers held to in one form or another. So it isn't Preterism, which started many centuries later! Preterism distinguishes itself from this particular historical interpretation by confining all future prophecy to just this time period, rendering future prophecy in the book of Revelation irrelevant to our own time period. I don't think the Church Fathers would've accepted that, since many of them clearly believed in a future Antichrist!

So please stop calling this historical interpretation of the Olivet Discourse "Preterism" when it is not! Some who hold this view, of course, are Preterists. But you should distinguish us, because we don't share the same beliefs about future prophecy. Furthermore, it's a way to try to disparage a viewpoint that really has more credibility than the common Dispensationalist versions of the passage, passed on by people like Hal Lindsey.

Hal Lindsey held that Jesus was speaking of the last generation, who would see all of these signs--earthquakes, famines, persecution, etc. But in my view, it is clear that Jesus was speaking of his own time, whose generation would see all of these things leading up to the fall of Jerusalem. Jesus was *not,* in my view, speaking of timing his Return in a particular generation, since he said the only way to prepare for that is by living a godly life.

Reactions: covenantee