Tithe...NOT a christian doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Mock away all you like. I have experienced the promises of God concerning the tithe--because I believe HIM. Tithing is a spiritually discerned matter. I will not try to convince anyone that they should tithe, but I do explain why I believe it and have done so. It is up to you to wait on the Lord, hear what the spirit of God says to you, and to obey Him.
But don't you believe that what God's Spirit tells us should jive with scripture?

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Because tithing is an institutional practice; it will not go down without a fight. To remove tithing from churches would be akin to removing blood from a body… How is it going to survive without blood? It doesn’t make sense…

Catholics (and all churches) have the same problem with traditions… what would be left if you removed them? Every church is guilty of some ridiculous idea, such as tithing, and those who support it will die supporting it. It is no longer about what the bible teaches; but what you want to believe. "Support Your Church" is the mantra... If you want to believe in Sabbath keeping, no one will convince you otherwise. If you want to believe in infant baptism, no one will convince you otherwise. If you want to believe in Sola Scripture, no one will convince you otherwise. If you want to believe in Christmas, no one will convince you otherwise.

Very few of us are willing to give up our practices if they were actually wrong. Institutional practices are binding and blinding. Jesus had the same problem with the Jews… The Son of God could not even break down their institutional practices. Very few disciples responded to Jesus.

God Bless
Steve

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
Tithing is not a ridiculous idea. It is a principle and a practice that existed before the law. People tithe as the Lord leads them, not the churches.

That is your opinion. Many here do not share that opinion with you, and many have shown from the bible why they disagree with you. The SDA’s use this same rationale for demanding the Sabbath to be observed. Just because a practice was observed in ancient times, before the law, does not require us to observe that practice today. Circumcision was practiced before the law… Are we still required by law to circumcise? As I said, this is a ridiculous idea; but you can believe it if you want. You are supporting an institutional practice, not a bible requirement. You become liable to be judged as a false teacher if you oblige others to follow an institutional tradition when God does not require this. If people want to tithe in respect of the origin of the custom, that's different... but when you teach that God demands this custom to be observed; you are not correct.

God Bless
Steve

Reactions: Angelina

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Tithing is not a ridiculous idea. It is a principle and a practice that existed before the law. People tithe as the Lord leads them, not the churches.

First, if tithing is compulsory, why do people need to be led by the Lord? A bit like saying school is compulsory but we expect you to be led by the Lord about attending.

Second, Your comment that the churches don't lead people to tithe shows how gullible you are. Many churches, when they are struggling to pay their bills, will give lectures or pep talks about tithing. That is inevitable when you are running a religious organisation rather than advancing the kingdom of God where God supplies all your needs as he promised he would.

Third we don't teach tithing in my fellowship. We never ask for money and we don't pass round the hat each meeting. All we have is a box at the door. Now strange as it may seem, even though we do all these things, God blesses us and when we need money it is there. Mind you we don't pay anyone a salary and we don't have expensive buildings to finance. We prefer to concentrate our efforts on building God's kingdom and each individuals relationship with God. That doesn't take a lot of money but it does require commitment and faith in God's word. Sad to say it is easier and less demanding to give a tenth of your income. If you have done that your off the hook.

So what am I saying? God blesses us because even though we don't tithe money, we give ourselves so I guess that means we can't base any truth on subjective experience as you claim.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
That is your opinion. Many here do not share that opinion with you, and many have shown from the bible why they disagree with you. The SDA’s use this same rationale for demanding the Sabbath to be observed. Just because a practice was observed in ancient times, before the law, does not require us to observe that practice today. Circumcision was practiced before the law… Are we still required by law to circumcise? As I said, this is a ridiculous idea; but you can believe it if you want. You are supporting an institutional practice, not a bible requirement. You become liable to be judged as a false teacher if you oblige others to follow an institutional tradition when God does not require this. If people want to tithe in respect of the origin of the custom, that's different... but when you teach that God demands this custom to be observed; you are not correct.

God Bless
Steve

It matters not to me about opinion. What matters is that we obey God when He speaks to us. I don't expect people on forums to understand about tithing, because most people come from all sorts of backgrounds. All the Christians I know and worship with personally have heard the same message from the Lord about this subject and we are among millions who do. I am happy about that. As I said, tithing is a spiritually discerned matter. No one can demand that anyone tithe but God can move on His people by His Spirit, and require them to tithe, which they will obey with joy.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
As I said, tithing is a spiritually discerned matter.

This is completely up to you then... Because tithing is spiritually discerned, and I cannot discern this at all, this then frees me from the tithing obligation. It’s a good this repentance is not spiritually discerned.

God Bless
Steve

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
It matters not to me about opinion. What matters is that we obey God when He speaks to us. I don't expect people on forums to understand about tithing, because most people come from all sorts of backgrounds. All the Christians I know and worship with personally have heard the same message from the Lord about this subject and we are among millions who do. I am happy about that. As I said, tithing is a spiritually discerned matter. No one can demand that anyone tithe but God can move on His people by His Spirit, and require them to tithe, which they will obey with joy.

So you don't see your interpretation of scripture as your opinion? I find that strange.

Will God's requirements conflict with scripture? I have asked you to show us the scriptures that support your claim concerning the tithe being required by God for new covenant believers and have yet to see any.

Do you think just because millions are tithing that it must be right?

Yes, indeed God can move on His people, but will He require them to do something that He did not require the those believers in the first century ekklesia?

year2027

Jan 17, 2011
God first

thanks everybody

the Roman Catholic Church Said it a good way to get income because 1st Century had no tithing system at all

with love and a holy kiss Roy

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is completely up to you then... Because tithing is spiritually discerned, and I cannot discern this at all, this then frees me from the tithing obligation. It’s a good this repentance is not spiritually discerned.

God Bless
Steve

No, it is up to the Holy Spirit to teach you. It is only up to us to be malleable in His hands.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
No, it is up to the Holy Spirit to teach you. It is only up to us to be malleable in His hands.

This sounds like Gnosticism…

The Holy Spirit will teach me what He has taught you, and He doesn’t need the bible to do it, because it will be “revealed to me”?

Most Christians need clear evidence from the bible before they believe anything; and I think the case has been made that evidence is lacking which requires the New Testament church to tithe. As Roy said, the teaching was developed to raise revenue for the upkeep of church buildings and income for priests. The Protestants, ironically, came about because Luther was protesting against revenue for building funds. The very thing we protested against we are now doing.

This impropriety of money can only exist because people like yourself blindly follow this tradition insisting that it is “spiritually discerned” and taught by the Holy Spirit, not the bible. You should be able to discern that something is rotten in Denmark.

God Bless
Steve

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This sounds like Gnosticism…

The Holy Spirit will teach me what He has taught you, and He doesn’t need the bible to do it, because it will be “revealed to me”?

Most Christians need clear evidence from the bible before they believe anything; and I think the case has been made that evidence is lacking which requires the New Testament church to tithe. As Roy said, the teaching was developed to raise revenue for the upkeep of church buildings and income for priests. The Protestants, ironically, came about because Luther was protesting against revenue for building funds. The very thing we protested against we are now doing.

This impropriety of money can only exist because people like yourself blindly follow this tradition insisting that it is “spiritually discerned” and taught by the Holy Spirit, not the bible. You should be able to discern that something is rotten in Denmark.

God Bless
Steve

It isn't gnostic. It's the word of God. If you don't want to follow God's word, that is your prerogative.

Stefcui

Jan 29, 2012
The City
It isn't gnostic. It's the word of God. If you don't want to follow God's word, that is your prerogative.

It is perhaps the way you’re explaining things, Lively Stone... Many statements you make are open to a wide interpretation. The description you gave was the description of Gnosticism. I am only responding to the words you use; if you mean something else, you should try to use your words more carefully.

God Bless
Steve

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It is perhaps the way you’re explaining things, Lively Stone... Many statements you make are open to a wide interpretation. The description you gave was the description of Gnosticism. I am only responding to the words you use; if you mean something else, you should try to use your words more carefully.

God Bless
Steve

I am careful with my writing. Sorry you misunderstand it.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Can you back that up with scriptures please?

I am not going to argue this as it becomes a bitterly contested matter and is not pleasing to the Lord. I am not willing to be the subject of a huge pile-on, but I am willing and courageous enough to be the only one to stand up for the tithe. I am not ashamed, and no one here has the power to heap any shame or condemnation on me. I know my God and I know what He desires and I have experienced the promises of God for obeying Him.

But if you would merely check with the word of God you will note that Abraham tithed and so did Jacob---all before the law, so it was an acceptable principle that the Lord laid on the hearts of his people, early on.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But if you would merely check with the word of God you will note that Abraham tithed and so did Jacob---all before the law, so it was an acceptable principle that the Lord laid on the hearts of his people, early on.

So you keep saying ad infinitum and we keep asking "where is tithing in the New Testament?" The fact that you refuse to answer that question speaks volumes. Hiding behind rhetoric, innuendo and emotional pleas will only get you so far with those who seek truth and reject opinion.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So you keep saying ad infinitum and we keep asking "where is tithing in the New Testament?" The fact that you refuse to answer that question speaks volumes. Hiding behind rhetoric, innuendo and emotional pleas will only get you so far with those who seek truth and reject opinion.

What difference does that make? Biblical is biblical. God's promises are good no matter what covenant we are in. His promises do not have a 'shelf life'. When I desired to know what God wanted in this area, I went to Him and asked Him to show me, and He showed me by the reading of His word and one thing is, this principle isn't superceded by the New Covenant. Tithing has never been rescinded---but GIVING was added. The only people who have a hard time with the tithe and become vexed by it are those who aren't doing it. Those who do are content with it because they receive from God His promises concerning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.