Tongues and Related Issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting that Jesus refers to this as what the gentiles do, would you say Corinth was mostly comprised of gentiles?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greek: βαττολογέω
Transliteration: battologeō
Pronunciation: bat-tol-og-eh'-o
Definition: From Βάττος Battos (a proverbial stammerer) and G3056; to stutter that is (by implication) to prate tediously: - use vain repetitions.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Greek: βαττολογέω
Transliteration: battologeō
Pronunciation: bat-tol-og-eh'-o
Definition: From Βάττος Battos (a proverbial stammerer) and G3056; to stutter that is (by implication) to prate tediously: - use vain repetitions.

Ya, don't do that? Should do some variances to the prayer of "Our father?" o_O

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guess what the Baptists emphasize?
do tell? obvious you been to the wrong baptist btw curious. which baptist church are you talking about there are only about humteen hunder different baptist ..in fact i know of a baptist church where pentecostals attend... there is no tongue used in the service. other than what those who do speak say quietly. in a manner that does not draw attention

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
do tell? obvious you been to the wrong baptist btw curious. which baptist church are you talking about there are only about humteen hunder different baptist ..in fact i know of a baptist church where pentecostals attend... there is no tongue used in the service. other than what those who do speak say quietly. in a manner that does not draw attention

I do not know how you got that out of what I said about the Baptists. lol I fellowship with the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Pentecosts, the Catholics, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God, the Monrovian Church and nearly a dozen non-denominational churches. Things are different at different churches.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know how you got that out of what I said about the Baptists. lol I fellowship with the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Pentecosts, the Catholics, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God, the Monrovian Church and nearly a dozen non-denominational churches. Things are different at different churches.
The thing is Sir, I’ve attended many denominations and I’ve witnessed the fake(mockery) many times, and it makes me sick to witness it. Do you think if I ever witnessed the true gift of tongues that I would know I have?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing is Sir, I’ve attended many denominations and I’ve witnessed the fake(mockery) many times, and it makes me sick to witness it. Do you think if I ever witnessed the true gift of tongues that I would know I have?

If it makes you sick, just stay away from it. Why go to church to be sickened. The Bible says what it says about tongues and disrespecting the Holy Spirit...you have to take it from there, no offense to me. God bless.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it makes you sick, just stay away from it. Why go to church to be sickened. The Bible says what it says about tongues and disrespecting the Holy Spirit...you have to take it from there, no offense to me. God bless.
So I’m disrespecting The Holy Spirit?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s my opinion that no one as of now that alleges the continuance of the gift of tongues has given a good defense for their arguments. As of now all I have heard is testimonies of personal experiences, and an continual argument of self justification.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s my opinion that no one as of now that alleges the continuance of the gift of tongues has given a good defense for their arguments. As of now all I have heard is testimonies of personal experiences, and an continual argument of self justification.

I get it. I am not pushing it on you. Don't let it trouble you. Drop it and never think of it again.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I and my wife attended one of the non cessational churches once I’ll never forget, after all of the music at the beginning of the service the music director announced. Everyone feel free to speak in tongues. Everyone started babbling. Everyone but my wife and myself. When this ended a lady approached the stage and stated we were going to pray for the sick, and everyone had to use their prayer language.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I and my wife attended one of the non cessational churches once I’ll never forget, after all of the music at the beginning of the service the music director announced. Everyone feel free to speak in tongues. Everyone started babbling. Everyone but my wife and myself. When this ended a lady approached the stage and stated we were going to pray for the sick, and everyone had to use their prayer language.

We all can have weird experiences at churches. I once went to a church in Virginia Beach, I did notice all the Rolles-Royces and BMW in the parking lot. When it was time for collections they were asking for 2400 dollars from everyone, timed payments was ok. Down south there was a woman that everyone thought she was speaking in tongues...she nearly died, she was having a seizure.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s interesting that Jesus refers to this as what the gentiles do, would you say Corinth was mostly comprised of gentiles?
That is probably true. The first epistle to the Corinthians is primarily a corrective epistle, and Paul had much to say about the abuse of the spiritual gift of tongues in this church. We are seeing a similar abuse in more recent times. But Paul also states in it that tongues are a sign gift for unbelieving Jews, (which was already prophesied in the OT).

The Jews always looked for signs, but in spite of this sign many did not believe. On the day of Pentecost there were thousands of Jews gathered in Jerusalem from all over the Roman empire. But only 3,000 were saved (which is still a considerable number). Subsequently several thousands were saved, but relatively speaking the majority of Jews continued in unbelief (as we see in Romans).

Reactions: amadeus

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of the Holy Spirit? What doctrine! Well it is fine to testify that your beliefs are true to the scriptures, but how can your beliefs be true to the scriptures if you do not understand the context of the scriptures?

Christ had a mission, and he started out in the hole, the world is full of sin, Satan is after the souls of men, he knows that the Jews are going to have issues with Him. They are expecting Elijah to come down and nationally introduce the messiah, they are expecting a human warlord that will take down and punish their oppressors and put them in power and then write the 613 laws on their heart forever, and sacrifices would continue forever. Jeremiah 31:33, 32:40, Ezekiel 37:24, 39:17-18, but what mostly happened was in Ezekiel 13:2

Christ knew that it would be a very difficult truth for the Jews to believe that God walked among them and spoke against them. A full read of this in the Gospels shows that His own Apostles had issues with this and had doubts, even to the end. His ministry to the Jews did not turn out well for many reasons, just too much change for them to understand and they were too far off in left field.

So then there is the Holy Spirit, and equal member in the Trinity. Is He going to explain the Trinity to the Jews? Yet another God! This is the reason that the Holy Spirit is not fully visible in the Gospels, more than they could bear or understand. During His ministry He does not talk much about the Holy Spirit, not even to the level of telling them the Holy Spirits’ name. They are all Holy Spirits…the Holy Spirit has a name. During His ministry about the only thing He says about the Holy Spirit is if you are disrespectful, you are toast! That sets the Holy Spirit in a unique position within the Trinity. Christ explains that you can say what you will about Him, but if you disrespect the Holy Spirit, it would not be forgiven in that age or the age to come! This places this sin at the top of the list. So overwhelming this is, that many Christians cannot figure it out, accept it, or comprehend it.

So then we are at the conversion after the Last Supper that Christ had with His apostles. It is clear in this conversion that some of the apostles are still not grasping the basics; Christ said, Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know me, Phillip?

Then he says of the Holy Spirit “I will ask my Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever….(You might want to look up the word Helper [or Comforter in the KJV] in Greek. More than the bat boy at a baseball game.) He says that this is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not behold Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you, and will be in You. And then He explains that, the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. So then; When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of Me. And He also said, But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness, and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in me. And when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said, that He takes of Mine, and will disclose it to you. So Christ says, I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. Were these things about the Holy Spirit, that would blow them away?

Now this scripture… All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said, that He takes of Mine, and will disclose it to you. Some could say that this is Christ handing over His ministry on earth to the Holy Spirit. Surely Not! The Holy Spirit is just a Spirit that helps you understand the scriptures….right? That is why the KJV calls Him a ghost, a detached spirit, a whisper in the wind….right? The problem with that, is that it is nothing like what Christ said in words or implication. The fact is, that the Holy Spirit took part in the conception of Christ in Mary’s womb. And then there is Pentecost, the Holy Spirit is present, tongues of fire, speaking so that all could understand in their own language. Paul understood that tongues was of the spirit..1st Corinthians 12:4-10 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.

So back to Christ he says “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come. Of all the things that Christ said this has no grey area, no grace, no forgiveness. Of all the things He spoke of, this one appears to be very absolute. I know there are people that will try to explain it away or ignore it. Que sera sera Whatever will be will be..The future’s not ours to see…. But if you do this one…you are going to know your future….pack the jelly because you are going to need it! No forgiveness, no grace, no judgment, straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect 100 dollars. Straight from Christ’s mouth, no if’s no and’s or but’s!

Now for this reason, if you are in a church where the Holy spirit is moving or you are address someone that believes in the Holy Spirit and His blessings, actions, and miracles, you might consider a little respect, erroring here can send you to hell, your opinion can be your own judge, consider that your next word can send you to hell. Unless Christ lied or was just kidding…then we can apply that to many things. Any takers on that? Calling the works of the Holy Spirit evil...best advise...don't!

I appreciate your attempt to warn me, but I am saved, and this statement of yours is not true: ''...consider that your next word can send you to hell.'
You are convinced the 'Holy spirit is moving' and that I am 'Calling the works of the Holy Spirit evil…
I'm not convinced at all. Again, I would run away from that type of 'worship service', because I am fearful it might be evil. But, I am not fearful of you, or others, who would accuse me of not respecting them, or the Holy Spirit.