Tongues ( 'sign' gifts ) did/did not cease?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure exactly what you mean, but to clarify my point a bit, it's the miraculous manifestation of the Spirit, the gifts listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10, that have ended and were made manifest in biblical times by the laying on of the apostle's hands. The only 2 instances recorded in scripture where the Spirit fell miraculously and unilaterally without the laying on of the apostle's hands first is in Acts 2 and Acts 10 which happened as heavenly validation as a sign to those present in order to start the church in Jerusalem and in Caesarea.
These still come through in my opinion;

Attributes of the Spirit - not pertaining to “gifts of”,

I know what your talking about and i believe those are done over.

“And manifest also are the works of the flesh, which are: Adultery, whoredom, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, strifes, emulations, wraths, rivalries, dissensions, sects, envyings, murders, drunkennesses, revellings, and such like, of which I tell you before, as I also said before, that those doing such things the reign of God shall not inherit. And the fruit of the Spirit is: Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; and those who are Christ's, the flesh did crucify with the affections, and the desires; if we may live in the Spirit, in the Spirit also we may walk; let us not become vain-glorious — one another provoking, one another envying!”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5‬:‭19‬-‭26‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly do not believe tongues are a sign of a converted Christian, today.
Why do we even have a written Bible? Is it really so that we can pick and choose the verses or incidents or teachings which fit into what we already believe and leave out anything that does not?

Mr 16:17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mr 16:18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Sometimes people get on and put on a show for people, just to keep people entertained to make money, but that is just my opinion and harsh judgment on Religious leaders who dupe their congregation.
Some or even perhaps many people are putting on a show, but is your knowledge so complete about all people that you may be sure there are not some who really are on the Lord's side in spite of their disagreements with you?

Mt 12:36But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mt 12:37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
Pr 21:2Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts.

It can start very young as people can malign and brainwash their children, and force religion upon them, rather than living a life for Christ. Allowing freedom and critical thinking to be praised and nurtured as they grow up in life.
That some children are indeed brainwashed by their own parents is certain, but why do you speak as if all with beliefs or opinions different than yours must be in error. There is too much of that on this forum, but what does God say? Was Jeremiah inspired by God to write the following words?

Jer 10:23O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

If a man cannot direct his own steps before God, what must he then do?

Mt 7:7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Who is the teacher that always teaches God's truth?

Joh 14:26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we even have a bible, @amadeus the first century christians just had word of mouth and the old testament. And of course the spirit. They also had many pyschail healings but that doesnt happen today does it?

Some claim they see it but i didnt see the man who was blind get healed i wanna see another one other wise im not gonna believe in Jesus.

See the problem.

What is true and what is reality? What was then and what is now? What is halluicination? What is fantasy? What is right and what is wrong?
The only way you can "see" the truth, the reality, is if and when you have been given the "eyes to see", which the natural or carnal man does not have even if his natural vision is 20-20.

Re 3:18I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

What is this eyesalve, if not the Holy Spirit in a man? Don't be deceived by those who say they see unless you also see as they do and you are certain that it is of God. Everyone says they are right, with few exceptions, but the only ones who are, are those who agree with God. How can one know? Faith is the Way we are to go to encounter God and His truth. People who use man's logic alone will miss God's Way.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only way you can "see" the truth, the reality, is if and when you have been given the "eyes to see", which the natural or carnal man does not have even if his natural vision is 20-20.

Re 3:18I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

What is this eyesalve, if not the Holy Spirit in a man? Don't be deceived by those who say they see unless you also see as they do and you are certain that it is of God. Everyone says they are right, with few exceptions, but the only ones who are, are those who agree with God. How can one know? Faith is the Way we are to go to encounter God and His truth. People who use man's logic alone will miss God's Way.

This is very interesting, my Friend. If not read carefully, it almost sounds heretical. But then, I'm used to your cutting-edge (for lack of a better term) insights. Couldn't make it to church today. Not feeling like myself.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spirit, yeah

All christians get the spirit @amadeus

But some say if you aint healing you aint nothing,
You have never heard me say that!
If you aint speaking in tongues, you aint nothing.
The spirit which christians have today is something you never quote my friend, at least you never have towards me.
I am glad you remember that much about me. I too believe I am right at times, but I recognize that at times I have not been led by the Spirit of God and have therefore been very wrong. Remember what apostle Paul wrote here:

1co 11:1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

How much like Christ was Paul? How much like Christ am I? How much like Christ is anyone on this forum? How much like Christ are all of the human preachers and teachers you have encountered?

Mt 4:19And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men
...So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants...

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is very interesting, my Friend. If not read carefully, it almost sounds heretical. But then, I'm used to your cutting-edge (for lack of a better term) insights. Couldn't make it to church today. Not feeling like myself.

What is wrong with you today? Not feeling like yourself?

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am glad you remember that much about me. I too believe I am right at times, but I recognize that at times I have not been led by the Spirit of God and have therefore been very wrong. Remember what apostle Paul wrote here:

1co 11:1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

How much like Christ was Paul? How much like Christ am I? How much like Christ is anyone on this forum? How much like Christ are all of the human preachers and teachers you have encountered?

Mt 4:19And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men

I respect you and your family and everything @amadeus; however though you bring up a lot of questions and everything like that it is fine.

I dont believe like I said ... healings happen today other than the healing of the soul by the renewed rebirthed spirit which is given to those who believe in God, by faith and the resurrected Christ.

However, I dont have to believe everything in the bible is for today.... sorry if you do beleieve they are for today, there is tons of spiritual principles to learn from.

I already know about following JEsus Christ and everything like that, and sometimes you tend to go sideways, I rather not communciate for the time being.

Take care, and God bless you and your family.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus

It's not about putting doubt in a person,

but if someone comes to you, and you give them a scripture which JEsus goes and lays his hand on Peters mother and the fever is gone,

and someone goes and put there hand on their mother and the fever doesn't leave....

they may need to go to the hosptial to get something to help them...

The dangers of 'healings' by faith, are dangerous and also can get people to even leave faith for a while.

GOD WHY? I DID WHAT YOUR SON DID BUT SHE WAS NOT HEALED!?!?!?

Cant you just agree without your questionable relatives?
If we are truly being led by the Spirit of God, we will know when to pray for a person's healing if know God's will for that person, including whether he is to be healed at the moment or not.

Jesus healed many, but not all of the sick or disabled people he met during his 3½ years he walked on this planet as a man, but he never failed to heal someone he tried to heal.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are truly being led by the Spirit of God, we will know when to pray for a person's healing if know God's will for that person, including whether he is to be healed at the moment or not.

Jesus healed many, but not all of the sick or disabled people he met during his 3½ years he walked on this planet as a man, but he never failed to heal someone he tried to heal.

Thank you for your encouragement. You have a good day.

Prayer is for all people, even presidents and people in governing authorities and supervisors, and pedophiles, and murderers, and enemies, and prosititues, and family members, and those who are in jail.

Amen.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If people follow the Spirit of God, and have agape love, they willl

If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

be patient, be kind, be not envious, not boastful, not proud, not dishonor others, not be self-seeking, not be easily angered, and also keep no record of wrongs, will not delight in evil but rejoice with the truth, always protect, always have hope and always persevres.

If people follow the Spirit of God, they also will show these attributes,

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

They will have love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.

They will do tehre best to not be conceiteed and provoke others, by the power of the SPirit given to them. Which they can Ask GOD to help them, as Luke 11:13.

@amadeus - while I believe if people believe 'gifts of the spirit; happen today I still love them, I wouldn't disfellowship with them over it but I would say I dont believe the 'gifts of the spirit' to heal and cast out demons and everything like that is applicaible to us anymore, or people lay hands on people and the blindness of phsycal eyes are healed or people with legs that are broken are repaired.

So I hope you get that much atleast, down my friend . . . and can remember it, when it pertains to anything that may come from me.

have a good day.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have only attended a physical service once since completing my chemotherapy in March. That was to one on a Sunday where I was sure and old acquaintance still attended. I was right but he was not a real friend so I may not go back there soon. Perhaps I will look for a Saturday service. As you may recall I attended a couple of them before I moved in my daughter, but that place is nearly 50 miles away. I won't drive that far alone and no one is interested in attending with me. There is an SDA church locally, but I've never visited that one. As my strength builds and the Spirit moves I may get there.

Sorry you are not feeling up to par. I will keep you in prayer.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus - while I believe if people believe 'gifts of the spirit; happen today I still love them, I wouldn't disfellowship with them over it but I would say I dont believe the 'gifts of the spirit' to heal and cast out demons and everything like that is applicaible to us anymore, or people lay hands on people and the blindness of phsycal eyes are healed or people with legs that are broken are repaired.

So I hope you get that much atleast, down my friend . . . and can remember it, when it pertains to anything that may come from me.

@MatthewG I hear what you are saying. I remember that you are striving to attain. I will not condemn easily simply of because disagreements. I have too many errors in own history to presume I have it all right now. Jesus did it all right, but I am still not even with him.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians ch1
"to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you,
so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
:Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest: :Bestest:

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't need the gifts at all, we have the bible. The only so called gift today that people claim to have and cling to as "proof" is tongues, which is a total joke.
We need and have BOTH . the sooner you learn this the better off you will be .
WE DO have the bible . A BIG FAT AMEN TO THAT . now read it . THE GIFTS are for us too .
But all must be tested against the BIBLICAL TRUTH . THE BIBLE IS OUR BOOK , GOD IS OUR GOD
HIS CHRIST HE SENT IS OUR CHRIST and HIS SPIRIT IS OUR GUIDE and into the BIBLE LET US DIG .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG I hear what you are saying. I remember that you are striving to attain. I will not condemn easily simply of because disagreements. I have too many errors in own history to presume I have it all right now. Jesus did it all right, but I am still not even with him.
JESUS DID HAVE IT RIGHT MY FRIEND . YES INDEED . i suggest folks start learning What HE said , what HE taught
I never once seen JESUS preach universalism etiher . He preached BELIEVE YE IN HIM and HE said
exactly what it was gonna be like for those who heard and rejected . WORSE than SODOM .
BEING JESUS SAID That , YEAH I BELIEVE IT . HE also said IF YE COME TO HIM YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE
YE WILL NOT perish . HE also said , HE who continues to the end .
THERE are many THINGS JESUS SAID . I suggest we simply BELIEVE THEM and RECIEVE THEM .
HE also spoke of how the church , the believers would be given power from heaven , GIFTS and etc .
IF JESUS said it , we believe it . Its really quite a simple walk . ITS MAN that complicates it
cause man has agendas . BUT JESUS HAS TRUTH , HE IS THE TRUTH , thus HIS WORDS ARE TRUTH and words
by which if a lamb does eat , IT will grow wise indeed through faith IN HIM .
SO here is my simple summation . And you wont have to need to know greek
or sit under some wise scholar . HERE IS my simple advice . IT JESUS SAID IT , JUST BELIEVE IT
if the aposteles under the SPIRIT left us letters , SIMPLY BELIEVE IT . Its not so difficult . but men and man MAKES IT DIFFICULT .
Many would be amazed at how simple and plain the walk in CHRIST TRULY IS . SIMPLY BELIEVE . JUST BELIEVE .
IF JESUS said it , BELIEVE IT . No need to try and twist it to fit what WE THINK might be truth . NOPE .
JUST READ AND BELIEVE . its really quite simple .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JESUS DID HAVE IT RIGHT MY FRIEND . YES INDEED . i suggest folks start learning What HE said , what HE taught
I never once seen JESUS preach universalism etiher . He preached BELIEVE YE IN HIM and HE said
exactly what it was gonna be like for those who heard and rejected . WORSE than SODOM .
BEING JESUS SAID That , YEAH I BELIEVE IT . HE also said IF YE COME TO HIM YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE
YE WILL NOT perish . HE also said , HE who continues to the end .
THERE are many THINGS JESUS SAID . I suggest we simply BELIEVE THEM and RECIEVE THEM .
HE also spoke of how the church , the believers would be given power from heaven , GIFTS and etc .
IF JESUS said it , we believe it . Its really quite a simple walk . ITS MAN that complicates it
cause man has agendas . BUT JESUS HAS TRUTH , HE IS THE TRUTH , thus HIS WORDS ARE TRUTH and words
by which if a lamb does eat , IT will grow wise indeed through faith IN HIM .
SO here is my simple summation . And you wont have to need to know greek
or sit under some wise scholar . HERE IS my simple advice . IT JESUS SAID IT , JUST BELIEVE IT
if the aposteles under the SPIRIT left us letters , SIMPLY BELIEVE IT . Its not so difficult . but men and man MAKES IT DIFFICULT .
Many would be amazed at how simple and plain the walk in CHRIST TRULY IS . SIMPLY BELIEVE . JUST BELIEVE .
IF JESUS said it , BELIEVE IT . No need to try and twist it to fit what WE THINK might be truth . NOPE .
JUST READ AND BELIEVE . its really quite simple .
Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Phil 4:4

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alot of the misconception simply is that people believe the bible was written tiday for them and all of it pertains to them, which in my opinion is a mistake.

Even so; i must love and respect my neighbor; although they could condemn me for saying no i dont believe the gifts of the spirit is for ya today; though we still obtain the spirit - but it functions in the healings of our souls spiritually.

If the gifts and if jesus is still coming back today Ama.

Then the churches out there need to get there act together and literally do everything the first century church bride had done; if they realize they will end failing in that endeavour perhaps another view is needed.

The spirit of Christ resides in you just as much as me, and everyone else who believes in resurrection but its not about flaunting gifts or look at me i can speak in tongues that is all the flesh. Or i swear that preacher healed my cancer when laid his hands on me (sometimes things simply heal on their own terms which is a miracle and some need to go the hospital).

Its about humbling oneself before God and loving Him for takening care of your sins through christ and to love your neighbor as yourself.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you notice in 1 Cor 1:1-9 the statement "so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ"

is BACKED-UP with this GUARANTEE = verse 9 "GOD is FAITHFUL"
LET the KING be praised . david i wanted to respond with joy to this . AND I DO .
but at the same time a good unction hit me to remind us all of this as well .
WE ABOUT to find persecutions and tribulations TO ONLY INCREASE AGAINST US .
And i keep getting so worried for so many who expect an easy ride out of what is COMING against the lambs .
David , HARD core betrayals and persecutions are at the door . EVEN NOW betryals are beginning
and laws to support our persectuions are increasing . ITS at the door my friend .
And worse so many are headed right into the trogan horse lie that will not save them but will DECEIVE THEM .
ITS all running as one together now . As the DELUSIONS have increased , so now too will the hate
agaisnt those not conforming . THIS HATE WILL LEAD TO MURDER . Folks have no idea
how bad it can get and how fast either . THE DIGITAL KING COMETH and once that IRON DOOR IS SLAMMED DOWN
IT ALL BEGINS WITH BREAK NECK SPEED . THEY have the system , they have the support of the peoples
BUT THEY DO NOT HAVE WHO or what WE HAVE . THE LAMBS HAVE ETERNAL LIFE , the lambs HAVE GOD , THE LAMBS
have CHRIST and our end WILL BE SO GOOD . THis world grows darker by the day and by the hour .
EVIL hasrisen up to fill the void my friend . And though it hollers love , BELIEVE IT NOT
its not love , its meant for one thing . TO DECIEVE ALL INTO A LIE
and to bring all AGAINST GOD < AGAINST CHRIST , AGAINST THE LAMBS . GET the peoples ready .
For many will betray many , many will be offended , afraid , sell out ,
lambs will be persecuted , and even killed . But he who endures to the end shall be saved . ITS INCREASING DAVID
the last hour is upon us and the msytery of inquity HAS NOT BEEN AT REST , IT HAS PREPARED the world
unto the day of aremgeddon .