Tongues ( 'sign' gifts ) did/did not cease?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is free of sin ... and still lying is one of the causes of a person not entering the new world that God will bring (Rev. 21:8; 22:15; 1 Tim. 1:8-11).

Anyway, this topic is not about LYING.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus has covered the sin payment for everyone, it has been taken care of.

In Christ, people are set free of sin, but they struggle with the flesh vs the spirit and that causes them to not carry out there good intentions.

Romans 6:

The Wages of Sin

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law, but under grace? Certainly not! 16Do you not know that when you offer yourselves as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one you obey, whether you are slaves to sin leading to death, or to obedience leading to righteousness? 17But thanks be to God that, though you once were slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were committed. 18You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.​
19I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to escalating wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness.​
20For when you were slaves to sin, you were free of obligation to righteousness. 21What fruit did you reap at that time from the things of which you are now ashamed? The outcome of those things is death.22But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the fruit you reap leads to holiness, and the outcome is eternal life. 23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

Galatians 5:
Walking by the Spirit
(Ezekiel 36:16–38; Romans 8:9–11)

16So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.​
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.​
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.​
24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying one another.​

I am not the Judge but God most certainly is.

He assesses the heart and mind of individuals and know those who love him, and love others, which is part of the commandments given by Jesus Christ, to have faith to love God, and to love others.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly do not believe tongues are a sign of a converted Christian, today.

Sometimes people get on and put on a show for people, just to keep people entertained to make money, but that is just my opinion and harsh judgment on Religious leaders who dupe their congregation.

It can start very young as people can malign and brainwash their children, and force religion upon them, rather than living a life for Christ. Allowing freedom and critical thinking to be praised and nurtured as they grow up in life.

(Starts really around 6:00)

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but honestly: I don't have to believe any internet story. We got a saying in Spanish: "el papel aguanta lo que le pongan." that is something like paper holds whatever they write on it.
Okay, then put me on ignore, and you won't learn anything from me.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in your head.
Yall bet not be believing ol mathew . Cause hims is back at it again preaching the universal gospel .
When are these folks gonna simply preach JESUS CHRIST .
But you would be amazed at how many within christendom is sucking up a lie .
As for me , ME is gonna preach the dire necessity of having to beleive on JESUS CHRIST to be saved .
JESUS said what would happen to those who heard and yet beleived not . HE said worse than sodom for them .
IF HE said it , This lamb beleives it . Let us not be as adam and eve
who chose to believe they would not die just cause the serpent told them YE shall not die .
IF JESUS SAID SOMETHING , WE BETTER BELEIVE HIM and not men . As i am sure you agree my friend .
And if any man , if we or an angel comes and preaches another gospel .............................WELL
we sure dont accept it now do we . exactly .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly do not believe tongues are a sign of a converted Christian, today.

Sometimes people get on and put on a show for people, just to keep people entertained to make money, but that is just my opinion and harsh judgment on Religious leaders who dupe their congregation.

It can start very young as people can malign and brainwash their children, and force religion upon them, rather than living a life for Christ. Allowing freedom and critical thinking to be praised and nurtured as they grow up in life.

(Starts really around 6:00)
Mathew , i seem to notice that pattern with you . There are many things written in the scriptures that you simply no longer beleive .
My advice , dont let your mind be your own destruction .
Be as was abraham . WHEN GOD SAID ABRAHAM BELIEVED .
Now JESUS had many things to say , I SUGGEST you BELIEVE THEM .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, then put me on ignore, and you won't learn anything from me.
Well , we got us a saying in english and anyone please feel free to use it in any langague you desire .
IF JESUS SAID IT WE BELEIVE IT . GET DUG IN THOSE BIBLES . now lift those hands up , ITS LORD Praising
and thanking time in the building and round the world .
IF GOD SAID , IF JESUS SAID , IF THE APOSTELS , who were inspired BY THE SPIRIT wrote and said , LAMBS BELIEVE IT .
Now raise those hands and praise the glorious LORD .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only in your head.
I dont care what anyone says about ya david , you knows i loves ya . NOW HIT THE TRENCHS its all out war for the souls of men .
And we has GOT to be busy pointing to JESUS and all things HE did teach and later the apostels would teach and all
biblical sound doctrine is good for our souls . Feast on it . Lift those hands and praise the glorious King my friend .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, we need the Gifts of the Spirit more than ever before in history.
1 Corinthians ch1
"to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you,
so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one is free of sin ... and still lying is one of the causes of a person not entering the new world that God will bring (Rev. 21:8; 22:15; 1 Tim. 1:8-11).

Anyway, this topic is not about LYING.

You sure are not learning much about Jesus and His Spirit in the JW. Here's one they don't teach:

22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gifts ended when they could not longer be passed on by the apostles thru the laying on of their hands. None of the gifts are needed today unlike in biblical times
Hi,

Im right there with you.

Do you believe as christians we obtain attributes of the spirit in which spiritual fruit leads to a life of peace, forebearance like walking by the spirit in Galatians 5, even though you believe what the apostles done before have stopped?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish people would go touch people who are in wheel chairs and they actually walk, or a crooked withered foot made right.

Taking a look at when was Acts written, there are various dates.

Its subjective of what you believe.

Im not sure just quoting something out of acts even means something today as far as submitting that the gifts of the spirit are around today.

Someone would have to do something like heal the blind to get me to believe it, or a withered foot or hand.

@Tommy Cool.

IMG_1316.jpeg

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish people would go touch people who are in wheel chairs and they actually walk, or a crooked withered foot made right.

Taking a look at when was Acts written, there are various dates.

Its subjective of what you believe.

Im not sure just quoting something out of acts even means something today as far as submitting that the gifts of the spirit are around today.

Someone would have to do something like heal the blind to get me to believe it, or a withered foot or hand.

@Tommy Cool.

View attachment 34828

And i get it people may believe these signs still go on or whatever and its not about trying to get you to doubt. Its about reality and what is true today. While you can believe whatever you want the biggest thing is not to give up on having faith that God is with you, does give you the spirit to walk and live by.

Its not cause you cant heal someone that God says keep trying…

The biggest healing is the one of the soul (mind/will/emotions;heart) of an individual from being evil and dark to have coming out of that into the light…

People are only healed by having their mind renewed by and through hearing the word if they willingly choose to particpate or subject themselves.

None if not almost everything in the bible doesnt pertain to us today; though there are patterns you can see, and spiritual principles that can be learned; there is a historical narrative of physcial healings but today they are picture and types of being healed spiritually if anything at all.

I dont doubt God can make a cancer go away; sometimes people have to go to the docter and God can have cancer removed that way by surgery.

….

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your statement is only as strong as its weakest link.

What about Act 10:44-46
Please see the below repost which addresses Acts 2 and 10 which were 2 unusual events wherein the Holy Spirit fell unilaterally without the laying on of the apostle's hands, and in both instances it was to start the church, first in Jerusalem amongst the Jews and the in Caesarea amongst the Gentiles, and it was done as heavenly validation to those present.

REPOST

Start with Luke 3:16 and Luke 24:47-49 both restated in Acts 1:4-5. What's it say? One will come that will baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire, in Luke 3:16, and in Luke 24:47-49, it says repentance and remission of sins should be preached starting at Jerusalem and to tarry there until they received power ftom on high. And what's Acts 1:4-5,say? It restates both of these.4And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me. 5For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.And in Luke 24:47-49, who was this addressed to? Starting in verse 36 of Luke 24, Jesus appears to the APOSTLES and verses 47-49 is his instructions to them, the apostles.

47And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48And ye are witnesses of these things. 49And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Then Acts 1:8 says the following

8But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth

It's clear that the falling of the Holy Ghost with fire was meant for THE APOSTLE'S as well as the power from on high, and that this occurred as recorded in Acts 2; read it all carefully.

Futher, Acts 10 was also a unique demonstration of the Holy Ghost and unilaterally by the Holy Ghost falling on the Gentiles first and unlike Acts 2 where it fell on the apostles, but also as a sign and validation from on high which there validated it was God's plan to bring the Gentiles into the body of Christ. In that case, it was validation to Peter and company. It fell on the Gentiles prior to baptism but they were then immediately baptized. Why? Because that's how you become part of the Lord's body; you're baptized into Christ as noted in scripture such as Acts 2:38-47 and elsewhere.

The power from on high and the miraculous manifestation of the gifts of the Spirit, not the Spirit itself, but it's gifts as noted in 1 Cor 12:8-10, are manifested by the laying on of the APOSTLE'S hands as noted in Acts 6:6, Acts 8:18 and Acts 19:6, and it was the apostles who performed the miraculous gifts of the Spirit as noted in Acts 5:12 and those that they laid their hands on such as Stephen as recoreded in Acts 6:6.

The scriptures prove themselves.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

Im right there with you.

Do you believe as christians we obtain attributes of the spirit in which spiritual fruit leads to a life of peace, forebearance like walking by the spirit in Galatians 5, even though you believe what the apostles done before have stopped?
Not sure exactly what you mean, but to clarify my point a bit, it's the miraculous manifestation of the Spirit, the gifts listed in 1 Cor 12:8-10, that have ended and were made manifest in biblical times by the laying on of the apostle's hands. The only 2 instances recorded in scripture where the Spirit fell miraculously and unilaterally without the laying on of the apostle's hands first is in Acts 2 and Acts 10 which happened as heavenly validation as a sign to those present in order to start the church in Jerusalem and in Caesarea.