Tongues ( 'sign' gifts ) did/did not cease?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Real Supernatural Tongues" ... according to whom? To you?

Some of my brothers were Pentecostal before. This brother of mine related:

Read his testimony here https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101976528

I believe what my brothers tell.

I don't believe any internet story, since internet is full of ficticious characters with prefabricated stories. ;)
I'm sorry your brother had that experience. It is certainly the opposite of my experience. And I can see why you would believe him.

Of the two manifestations of speaking in tongues, I only have the one from Mark 16. I do not have the higher one from 1 Corinthians 12 that is actually given with an Office. Not many people are, even back in the 1st century. Interpretation is an office also, but can also be given by the Spirit to draw someone to Christ, like on the day of Pentecost.

Elie, what happened when you became a Christian? I was raised in the Church, but I was not born again of the Spirit which is an actual experience until I was almost 30. Are you Calvinist, or has Cessationism reached another denomination sect? Just curious. I'm writing a book, so if you wouldn't mind telling me what denomination you believe I would be grateful.

Edit: I see you are JW. I didn't think they were opposed. Interesting.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude was not possessed ...

Do you seriously believe that the holy spirit of God is a person, and that this person is incapable of casting a demon out of where he is?
Then Satan entered into Judas Called Iscariot who was of the number of the twelve; he went away and conferred with the chief priest and captains how he might betray him to them. Right after that was the last supper where Jesus announced to the 12 that one there, would betray Him.
Why would you think I do not believe what is clearly stated in Scripture. I have not come to argue with you ElieG12.
I have been around people that have visitors(demons) and the wisest thing to do at the time was not cast out the demon(as it can come back with more} but to work on bringing them to The Lord. For each thing to do, or not to do. should be led by The Holy Spirit.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can understand how passionate you are about this matter. Without a doubt, if God gives someone miraculous power, who wouldn't feel privileged?

But since there are so many deceitful emotions, psychological problems, and demonic activities that deceive many without their realizing it... you should ask yourself if the things you do really come from the spirit of God or are they just something else.

The matter is serious and many people will not be able to get out of such a well-manufactured (by Satan) deception.

2 Thess. 2:9 But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders 10 and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. 11 That is why God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can understand how passionate you are about this matter. Without a doubt, if God gives someone miraculous power, who wouldn't feel privileged?

But since there are so many deceitful emotions, psychological problems, and demonic activities that deceive many without their realizing it... you should ask yourself if the things you do really come from the spirit of God or are they just something else.

The matter is serious and many people will not be able to get out of such a well-manufactured (by Satan) deception.

2 Thess. 2:9 But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders 10 and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. 11 That is why God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

Elie, one way to test to see if you have the Holy Spirit or another spirit, is if your prayers get answered. For those first 30 years without the Spirit but going to church, not one prayer was answered. Now, ever since I received God's Spirit and can hear His voice. He tells me what to pray, and 100% of my prayers have been answered. The key is never pray your own will, only what God tells you to repeat.

Has the Holy Spirit given you any gifts? Elie, make sure you are born again.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings ElieG12. I knew you were JW. Even though I am not worthy, I am a man the walks in The Spirit and preaches in The Spirit as The Lord wills. One of my callings is to help those that Satan has deceived. I did not choose this calling, I was put right in the middle of it. Through much suffering especially at the hands of the enemy, I help were there is a need. So here is the truth concerning the topic of this thread. There are fake tongues, demonic tongues, and the true diversity(divers)of tongues.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering seriously what Paul says to the Thessalonians in 2 Thess. 2:9-12 ... I conclude that God delivers from religious lies and demonic practices people who sincerely love the truth and sincerely desire to do things the right way (John 8:32).

Without a doubt, among the people Jesus refers to here:

Matt. 7:21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

... there will be no Jehovah's Witnesses...because we do not look for "modern miracles" to identify the community that truly serves God in our times. We seek something higher than all that: love among its members (John 13:35), spiritual growth demonstrated in their conduct (John 8:31), and a knowledge of Biblical truths that reflects an understanding of God's Word (John 17:17) that truly reflects the influence of God's holy spirit.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... make sure you are born again.
Make sure you weren't born out of the wrong father, like these guys here.

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot listen to my word. 44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who of you convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering seriously what Paul says to the Thessalonians in 2 Thess. 2:9-12 ... I conclude that God delivers from religious lies and demonic practices people who sincerely love the truth and sincerely desire to do things the right way (John 8:32).

Without a doubt, among the people Jesus refers to here:

Matt. 7:21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’

... there will be no Jehovah's Witnesses...because we do not look for "modern miracles" to identify the community that truly serves God in our times. We seek something higher than all that: love among its members (John 13:35), spiritual growth demonstrated in their conduct (John 8:31), and a knowledge of Biblical truths that reflects an understanding of God's Word (John 17:17) that truly reflects the influence of God's holy spirit.
Thank you ElieG12 for the conversation. Be Blessed! And I leave with a question. If a man was searching for truth, would he find it in the flow of the watch tower, or The Lord Jesus Christ.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you ElieG12 for the conversation. Be Blessed! And I leave with a question. If a man was searching for truth, would he find it in the flow of the watch tower, or The Lord Jesus Christ.
Good question. You can ask yourself this one, and maybe you'll get the answer:

If someone wanted to follow Christ in the first century, could they do it on their own or did they need the apostles of Jesus?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make sure you weren't born out of the wrong father, like these guys here.

John 8:42 Jesus said to them: “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I have not come of my own initiative, but that One sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot listen to my word. 44 You are from your father the Devil, and you wish to do the desires of your father. That one was a murderer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of the lie. 45 Because I, on the other hand, tell you the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Who of you convicts me of sin? If I speak truth, why is it that you do not believe me? 47 The one who is from God listens to the sayings of God. This is why you do not listen, because you are not from God.”
Only sinners have the devil as their father. 46 years ago Jesus took all desire to sin lawlessly and willfully out of me. I actually felt it leave, and felt light as a feather. What also left was all of Satan's influence on me. He cannot touch me. 1 John 5:18. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... 46 years ago Jesus took all desire to sin lawlessly and willfully out of me. I actually felt it leave, and felt light as a feather. ...
Can you, please, stop talking about yourself, and start talking about Jesus' teachings?

Fictional stories on the internet often come from self-centered characters trying to draw attention to themselves. It is the way to impress others that false shepherds often use.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i think it all boils down to

To believe on the one whom sent Jesus, and to love one another as yourself is what is important.

Faith and love.

Not anything else is as important as those two things.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you, please, stop talking about yourself, and start talking about Jesus?

Fictional stories on the internet often come from self-centered characters trying to draw attention to themselves. It is the way to impress others that false shepherds often use.
My testimony is what we are to use. Paul did, and I will do the same. I'm sorry if you cannot relate, but it is easy to have the same relationship that I have and want for you.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you, please, stop talking about yourself, and start talking about Jesus' teachings?

I can't speak for others, but I don't lie.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but honestly: I don't have to believe any internet story. We got a saying in Spanish: "el papel aguanta lo que le pongan." that is something like paper holds whatever they write on it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lie. I got on to my mom one time for lying, she said matthew its just a little white lie. I was like eight years old. Sometimes we have to lie and not just tell the whole truth… Abraham lied about his wife, i think Jacob and issac followed his footsteps. Sometimes you lie to protect yourself.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. 21:8 "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.”

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh no ElieG12,

I did not say I love telling lies. Just said I lie.

If you are honest with yourself, I am sure you have lied in your own life, but do not love lying to just lie.

Dont you remember when Abraham lied? I guess he is gonna go to the lake of fire too.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev. 21:8 "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and the sexually immoral and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. This means the second death.”

Revelation 22:15 Without are the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the fornicators, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and every one that loveth and maketh a lie.

(That would mean sorta ya know, they just love to lie and find enjoyment out of it rather than joy of truth)

They dont care what kind of trouble it causes.