True or false?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Complete bunk. Even the "sources" cited aren't real LDS Christian doctrinal sources.

If you want me to address any of these "points", I happily do so. I just don't no where would be a profitable place to start.
Why don't LDS missionaries carry bibles?

All the places I've looked for info all seem to say the same things.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please note the OFFICIAL POSITION of the LDS Church:
'In the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the terms “saved” and “salvation” have various meanings. As used in Romans 10:9–10, the words “saved” and “salvation” signify a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. Through this covenant relationship, followers of Christ are assured salvation from the eternal consequences of sin if they are obedient...

Salvation from Sin. To be cleansed from sin through the Savior’s Atonement, an individual must exercise faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:37–38). Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God (see 2 Peter 2:20–22).

Salvation
Again, real faith. The type that changes a person into a disciple of Christ. Not cheap grace.
So Mormonism has added several conditions to salvation by grace through faith:

1. Water baptism

2. The gift of the Holy Ghost "through the proper priesthood authority"

3. The individuals continuing faithfulness

4. Keeping the commandments of God.
As I explained earlier: non-Protestants don't draw a line between what is "salvation" and what is "sanctification". Everyone believes that a disciple of Christ should follow Him.
because their church has brainwashed them.
Well, that's a downright personal attack.

I have attended and thoroughly studied (from their own sources by their own teachers) dozens of different churches. I don't know many other people who can say the same.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well the guys today didn't have a bible they just had the book of Mormon.
The Bible is on their electronic device, along with all the resources for their study. The cultural shift is really away from paper.

Like this week's Sunday School reading over the Prodigal Son and leaving the 99 to find the 1.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the link I posted there is an actual official LDS material.

It speaks of Satan and Christ's being brothers born of Mormon god and one of his wives.

That the father was born on the planet KOBOL to that premise God and he worked his way up to godhood and created the earth.

Material that Jane doe cannot dismiss as a lie.
CoreIssue, I've already repeatedly discussed the inaccuracy of you "sources" and claims before. Many times. Everytime I was completely ignored by you, and do not see a reason to repeat the cycle with you again.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Bible is on their electronic device, along with all the resources for their study. The cultural shift is really away from paper.

Like this week's Sunday School reading over the Prodigal Son and leaving the 99 to find the 1.
They had no device either, just the book of Mormon.
I believe any organisation that uses a book that is not the bible is a cult. Like the JW's with their edited New World version. It's like God's word in the bible is not enough for them so they have to add to it, or take from it or alter it in some way to suit their own misguided beliefs so that they can pass on a 'different gospel'.

Reactions: Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They had no device either, just the book of Mormon.
They didn't have a phone? I'm a little skeptical of that.
I believe any organisation that uses a book that is not the bible is a cult. Like the JW's with their edited New World version. It's like God's word in the bible is not enough for them so they have to add to it, or take from it or alter it in some way to suit their own misguided beliefs so that they can pass on a 'different gospel'.
I respect your belief in that regard, even if I don't share it.
For me, God a living being that continues to speak to His children- just because He said one word does not mean He can't/doesn't say another.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"those who are actually in Christ are translated into heavenly places"

Isn't this a joining of two passages?

Isn't it better to let the Word of God stand alone and as written?

God has seated us in the heavenlies with Christ, all of us, all who are born again, and, God had transfered us out of the kingdom of darkness, into the kingdom of His beloved Son.

I'd hate to see some of the meaning lost as if these were exactly the same thing.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we were out in town today we were approached by two Mormon missionaries. We told them we had been born-again Christians for a long time and my husband asked if they believed they would go to heaven. They told us that their place in heaven had to be earned through good works. What do you believe? True or false? Personally I believe it to be false and they are spreading a different gospel.

I totally agree, 100% that it diminishes Christ, the Messiah. But, we pray for and love them none the less. Not so sure I would consider them "Christians" per se but...we are called to love and correct in love as we are led. I would also say that not all in their own "denominations" are cemented in every one of the beliefs of their "church". JMHO ♥

Reactions: Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does going to heaven even mean? As in...all dogs go to heaven? (A children's movie, I think)

People have little pieces of the truth. But things can be sorted.

Going to "heaven" is for right now. We can walk with Jesus in His habitation ...as a free gift. No one earns their way into the heavenly realm. It is by grace through faith.

But we will all be judged by our works...whether they were righteous or not. But that's at the end of our lives.

By faith we do the impossible right now. We can enter into His eternal life right now.

By a living hope we behave with righteousness so that we can hope for eternal life after this one.

And always in love. Faith, hope and love.

"But we will all be judged by our works...whether they were righteous or not. But that's at the end of our lives."
Yes we will, and every word that proceeds from our mouths. Yet...Christians are NOT be judged for their sins...but their works only...IMHO ♥

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CoreIssue, I've already repeatedly discussed the inaccuracy of you "sources" and claims before. Many times. Everytime I was completely ignored by you, and do not see a reason to repeat the cycle with you again.
You have not addressed a single link to LDS sources that deny your claims. Not one.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"But we will all be judged by our works...whether they were righteous or not. But that's at the end of our lives."
Yes we will, and every word that proceeds from our mouths. Yet...Christians are NOT be judged for their sins...but their works only...IMHO ♥

Actually Christians will be judged harder than non-believers. ALL that is not of faith is indeed sin. So then yes, a Christian is responsible for his sins. More so than the non-believers.

Judgment begins at the house of the Lord. It is a fearful thing indeed.

One would have to understand that forgiveness is to restore us to the right path. At the Christian level we would be expected to live with righteousness at a minimum...even though the judgment is based on holiness...eternal works.

If we claim to be Christian and all we have ever done is works according to the flesh...then we will be naked and shamed and cast into outer darkness. If people understood this there would be real fear in the churches. AND...more holiness. But the people indeed perish for lack of knowledge. So MANY will be rejected on that day...lots of anger and tears.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we were out in town today we were approached by two Mormon missionaries. We told them we had been born-again Christians for a long time and my husband asked if they believed they would go to heaven. They told us that their place in heaven had to be earned through good works. What do you believe? True or false? Personally I believe it to be false and they are spreading a different gospel.
I don't recall reading in the Gospels where to get to heaven, we must wear special "holy" underwear and stand at the Judgment bar of the Father, Jesus, and Joseph Smith.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ouch is right, and yikes! I knew some of that stuff but...now I have a deeper understanding. i would love to know what scripture, if any , that they use or...does The Word Of God have to line up with their book of Mormon?!
Nancy, literally every thing that post says is complete bunk. Quickly recapping actual LDS Christians beliefs:

1) LDS Christians are monotheists that believe the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 different persons in 1 God.
2) Jesus Christ is the only Son of God. The Father is the Father of all. There's nothing special about Christ and Lucifer/Satan's relationship.
3) A person is saved by faith. Real faith of course changes a person and causes action. No one is saved by working themselves to heaven.
4) Scriptures are the word of God. Yes, LDS Christians believe that God still speaks, but that doesn't somehow make His previous words less important.
5) Because LDS Christians love the Bible, there is a prizing of scholarship and accurate translations. We ain't going to insult the Bible by accepting junk translations.
6) Christ's atonement and sacrifice was/is central to God's entire Plan of Salvation. It's importance cannot be properly conveyed with wordsLD.
7) LDS Christians believe very passionately in God the Holy Spirit indwelling in a person. Having a special place set aside for worship in no way negates that fact.

I don't care if anyone disagrees with another person's beliefs-- that's totally your right. But let's at least be factual about what those beliefs actually are.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Actually Christians will be judged harder than non-believers. "
Agreed!

Psalm 103: 11-12 ".For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us."
Yes, we all need fear him.
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

"Isaiah 38:17
"Surely, for my welfare I had such great anguish; but Your love has delivered me from the pit of oblivion, for You have cast all my sins behind Your back."

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

If He forgives AND forgets our sins, why would we be judged by them?? Our works yes, I can understand but NOT sins-if we remain in right standing with Him, and repent as we need.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Actually Christians will be judged harder than non-believers. "
Agreed!

Psalm 103: 11-12 ".For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us."
Yes, we all need fear him.
"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

"Isaiah 38:17
"Surely, for my welfare I had such great anguish; but Your love has delivered me from the pit of oblivion, for You have cast all my sins behind Your back."

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

If He forgives AND forgets our sins, why would we be judged by them?? Our works yes, I can understand but NOT sins-if we remain in right standing with Him, and repent as we need.

If we would stop judging others...we would not be judged. If we would allow God to be God and stop limiting Him...and fear His name..we would not come under any condemnation. If we would receive His servants as we would Jesus Himself we would never be shamed. If we would humble ourselves we may receive grace.