True or false?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can certainly confirm this based on my experiences. They carry a Book of Mormon and a KJV Bible. Different missionaries are different. Most of those I met were very sincere young people really wishing to help people who wanted and needed the help that only God can give. Yes, they had an agenda, but when I met with them so did I. In some of my better encounters with them God helped all of us to grow closer to Him. No matter how right or wrong any of us presently are, cannot God improve our situation through what is presently available if we look to Him?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
5) Because LDS Christians love the Bible, there is a prizing of scholarship and accurate translations. We ain't going to insult the Bible by accepting junk translations.
So which translation do you consider junk and which one do you use Jane? After I became a Christian my church used the Good News Bible, then I bought one of the early New International Translations and later New Living Translation and also have paper copies of a few others. Mostly I use the NIV though but these days it is easy to look up different translations side by side online to make a passage easier to understand.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That dodged the topic.

Do you even know what Mormons believe?

Core Principle of Mormonism is:
Faith in Jesus Christ.

Same for Catholicism.
Same for Protestantism.

And precisely why they all CLAIM, to be Christians.

The hoopla and discourse is among men for how and what EACH denomination TEACHES
Is a Christians DUTY to Agree and Follow EACH denominations man devised Protocol, Rules, Traditions, Ceremonies, etc.

A man choosing One Denomination over an other, DOES NOT, undermine the Core Principle OF FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST.

And one man NOT LIKEING the teaching methods of an Other Denomination IS IRRELEVANT.

OP ---> Works are HOW one "gets to Heaven".

No, I do not believe Works are the Avenue to Heaven.

Rather, I believe Works are the Avenue to the Individual Receiving Rewards for their accomplished Works that Glorify God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ouch is right, and yikes! I knew some of that stuff but...now I have a deeper understanding. i would love to know what scripture, if any , that they use or...does The Word Of God have to line up with their book of Mormon?!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ouch is right, and yikes! I knew some of that stuff but...now I have a deeper understanding. i would love to know what scripture, if any , that they use or...does The Word Of God have to line up with their book of Mormon?!

Reactions: Nancy

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow, this is terrible. How can people be so gullible. Apologies to the LDS members but that is how I see it.
The teachings of Mormonism are very similar to those of Luciferian secret societies - just another form of exclusivity religion rooted in salvation by works.

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we were out in town today we were approached by two Mormon missionaries. We told them we had been born-again Christians for a long time and my husband asked if they believed they would go to heaven. They told us that their place in heaven had to be earned through good works. What do you believe? True or false? Personally I believe it to be false and they are spreading a different gospel.

False since Scripture states "by grace ye are saved..."

Reactions: Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just going to ask you this only once @Jane_Doe22 , do you deny ANY of this stuff in the above video? I mean, it IS pretty off the wall and pretty much out there. If Joseph Smith is your last word...you are listening to a false prophet claiming to be more knowledgeable than Christ Himself! None of these things were even touched upon in the days of Jesus. The last book of the bible is The FINAL Revelation of Jesus Christ.
Still love you but...can't go there.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow, this is terrible. I watched the following clip too. How can people be so gullible. Apologies to the LDS members but that is how I see it.

J.S. aparently was known for his tall tales,l...well...he sure spewed them out!

From his mother:
"Lucy Mack Smith, "History of Joseph Smith," p. 83

"During our evening conversations, Joseph would occasionally give us some of the most amusing recitals that could be imagined. He would describe the ancient inhabitants of this continent, their dress, mode of traveling, and the animals upon which they rode; their cities, their buildings, with every particular; their mode of warfare; and also their religious worship. This he would do with as much ease, seemingly, as if he had spent his whole life among them."

"
Well consider what he told Charles Francis Adams(son of the 6th Pres.of the U.S. and grandson of the 2nd Pres. when he and Josiah Quincy visited Nauvoo in 1844 and shown the Egyptian relics by Joseph Smith"These are mummies," said the exhibitor. "I want you to look at that little runt of a fellow over there. He was a great man in his day. Why, that was Pharaoh Necho, King of Egypt!" Some parchments inscribed with hieroglyphics were then offered us. They were preserved under glass and handled with great respect. "That is the handwriting of Abraham, the Father of the Faithful," said the prophet. "This is the autograph of Moses, and these lines were written by his brother Aaron". Josiah Quincy, Figures of the Past 1883 pp.376-400.I would call this a tall tale!" Unknown author.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh wow, this is terrible. I watched the following clip too. How can people be so gullible. Apologies to the LDS members but that is how I see it.

Just going to ask you this only once @Jane_Doe22 , do you deny ANY of this stuff in the above video? I mean, it IS pretty off the wall and pretty much out there. If Joseph Smith is your last word...you are listening to a false prophet claiming to be more knowledgeable than Christ Himself! None of these things were even touched upon in the days of Jesus. The last book of the bible is The FINAL Revelation of Jesus Christ.
Still love you but...can't go there.
Literally every single sentence in those videos in 100% false. They are not remotely accurate as to what LDS Christians actually believe. They are not designed to actually bring anyone to Christ, but rather a bunch of lies and serve the father of lies.

They are downright disgusting: both in terms of the lies the spout directly, and the fact that they are targeted at Protestant Christians-- as if a Protestant Christian required lies about other groups to remain a Protestant Christian. It is downright degrading to everyone involved.

Protestant Christians are not weak. They can be 100% factual about what other people believe, without fear. There is no need to depend on garbage and lies like this videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
J.S. aparently was known for his tall tales,l...well...he sure spewed them out!

From his mother:
"Lucy Mack Smith, "History of Joseph Smith," p. 83

"During our evening conversations, Joseph would occasionally give us some of the most amusing recitals that could be imagined. He would describe the ancient inhabitants of this continent, their dress, mode of traveling, and the animals upon which they rode; their cities, their buildings, with every particular; their mode of warfare; and also their religious worship. This he would do with as much ease, seemingly, as if he had spent his whole life among them."

"
Well consider what he told Charles Francis Adams(son of the 6th Pres.of the U.S. and grandson of the 2nd Pres. when he and Josiah Quincy visited Nauvoo in 1844 and shown the Egyptian relics by Joseph Smith"These are mummies," said the exhibitor. "I want you to look at that little runt of a fellow over there. He was a great man in his day. Why, that was Pharaoh Necho, King of Egypt!" Some parchments inscribed with hieroglyphics were then offered us. They were preserved under glass and handled with great respect. "That is the handwriting of Abraham, the Father of the Faithful," said the prophet. "This is the autograph of Moses, and these lines were written by his brother Aaron". Josiah Quincy, Figures of the Past 1883 pp.376-400.I would call this a tall tale!" Unknown author.
The prophecies say that soon after the woman would emerge from wilderness in 1798 A.D. after the 1,260 years of seclusion which began with the reign of the Little Horn papal Antichrist in 538 A.D., a "remnant" church would arise which would "keep the commandmetns of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ" (which is the "spirit of prophecy"). Satan understood this, so around the middle of the 19th century, he started to flood the land with false prophets of every stripe and type, all having one thing in common: to lead people away from the truth of Scripture:

Helena Petrovna Blavatsky - wrote "'The Secret Doctrine", "Isis Revealed", books which exalt Lucifer above Jesus (I.R is a book that proves "Isis" is precisely the "female generative aspect" of the male Lucifer) - pledged her life to preparing the world for the "Coming One", which is not Jesus Christ but the Luciferian Christ which will deceive by way of miracles everyone who takes the Mark of the Beast.

Albert Pike
: founded Scottish Rite Freemasonry, published "Morals and Dogmas" which is considered the "bible" of Freemasonry. Proudly exalted Lucifer as the god of Freemasonry and the true light of men.

Charles Taze Russell - 33 Degree Freemason - the god of Freemasonry is Lucifer and it exalts the Koran above both the Bible and the Torah. Jehovah's Witnesses literature is chock full of subliminal Luciferian messages.

Joanna Southcott - claimed to be the "Mother of Christ" and that she was pregnant with the "Messiah" of the Second Coming. So convinced her followers that her body was examined to see if it was so.

Mary Baker Eddy wrote "the material record of the Bible, …is no more important to our well being than the history of Europe and America."

N. Vincent Peale championed "self esteem" and self-actuated "positive thinking" - condemned in the Bible.

Joseph Smith - wrote the Book of Mormon as "another testament" which completely abrogates the Bible.

Brigham Young - claimed to receive visions from God, continued Joseph Smith's work.

Nostrodamas - injected himself with heroin to receive "prophecies from God"

Edgar Cayce - "healer" prophet who denied the incarnation of Christ, but that the "Spirit of Christ" descended on many men throughout the ages beginning in 100,000 B.C. with men of the lost city of Atlantis and included the man regarded by Christians as Jesus Christ

Pope Pius X - claimed to be a prophet, but is disqualified as such by Isaiah 8:20 in that the papacy proudly boasts to have changed the Law of God.

Aleister Crowley - made it his mission to submerge himself into the farthest depths of Luciferian worship debauchery

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So which translation do you consider junk and which one do you use Jane? After I became a Christian my church used the Good News Bible, then I bought one of the early New International Translations and later New Living Translation and also have paper copies of a few others. Mostly I use the NIV though but these days it is easy to look up different translations side by side online to make a passage easier to understand.
Culturally LDS Christians use the KJV, and I personally really like the old school English. I do own several other translations, such as NIV. Most modern translations are pretty good, with the obvious glaring except of the JW New World Translation (which is junk).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Culturally LDS Christians use the KJV, and I personally really like the old school English. I do own several other translations, such as NIV. Most modern translations are pretty good, with the obvious glaring except of the JW New World Translation (which is junk).
Do you also read the book of Mormon.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why does Bringham Young sound so much like..."Bring 'em young!"

Sounds like child indoctrination.

Reactions: Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why does Bringham Young sound so much like..."Bring 'em young!"

Sounds like child indoctrination.
People often use that same argument against Christianity as a whole.
I'm a fan of learning and critically thinking: don't believe anything just because someone told you. Rather, I go out and experience things myself. That's part of the reason I've studied dozens of faiths in their own worship places, from their own sources & teachers, applying critical thinking.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People often use that same argument against Christianity as a whole.
I'm a fan of learning and critically thinking: don't believe anything just because someone told you. Rather, I go out and experience things myself. That's part of the reason I've studied dozens of faiths in their own worship places, from their own sources & teachers, applying critical thinking.

I believe you have. But there is more to God than what we can investigate. God hides Himself for a reason. Critical thinking only works for physical things. Spiritual things require spiritual faculties...and God ONLY gives these to people who display a certain kind of faith.

So unless you are going to God with faith....the kind that is childlike, humble, trusting...fearful and yet confident in His character...you will stay in the dark concerning the life of the kingdom.

Mostly people want to hold onto their lives...and perhaps be willing to slowly modify them. But God is looking for us to leave all things behind to follow Him. We know we have done that when the fire comes down. His presence surrounds us in light so we can walk in the light as he is in the light. THEN we understand why Jesus came to earth.

Reactions: faithfulness

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Core Principle of Mormonism is:
Faith in Jesus Christ.

Same for Catholicism.
Same for Protestantism.

And precisely why they all CLAIM, to be Christians.

The hoopla and discourse is among men for how and what EACH denomination TEACHES
Is a Christians DUTY to Agree and Follow EACH denominations man devised Protocol, Rules, Traditions, Ceremonies, etc.

A man choosing One Denomination over an other, DOES NOT, undermine the Core Principle OF FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST.

And one man NOT LIKEING the teaching methods of an Other Denomination IS IRRELEVANT.

OP ---> Works are HOW one "gets to Heaven".

No, I do not believe Works are the Avenue to Heaven.

Rather, I believe Works are the Avenue to the Individual Receiving Rewards for their accomplished Works that Glorify God.

Glory to God,
Taken
That is false.

Mormons have a different Christ and a different God.