Two particular problems with dispensationalism...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely. But...I think this is where that interpretation comes into it again. As I have always understood it: Yes God punishes Israel for her unbelief but then brings her back to his mercy and grace...over and over in the OT! It shows us several things. His long-suffering patience and grace, his steadfast promises. But also that human nature is broken, and that we will never be able to keep the covenants we've made with God. That's why God began promising that a new covenant would come...Jesus. Jesus came to make a new way for us:

In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. - Hebrews 8:13

Anyway, you know the deal. So I suppose now I'm wondering, after everything Hebrews and Paul goes to the effort of stressing, why is there still division between the Church and Israel? We know there is but one way to God: Christ, and any Jew who wants to be saved needs to embrace him as their Messiah. So if that's basically exactly the same as it is for us, the Church members (which also includes some Jews!), why do we need to distinguish a difference there? I mean...I can't deny that one exists still this very day. Is it that fact, plus the Roman 9-11 passages that leads you to believe that God will continue with his individual "chastisment - restoration" pattern?

Indeed, if the covenants were dependent on us for any to experience the blessings of those covenants, then they are all useless except in pointing out our failure. But the only covenant that has been done away is the Mosaic Covenant, The Law. (Gal. 3:17) "And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect."

The Abrahamic Covenant, (Gen. 12:1-3) which contain also the Palestinian Covenant and Davidic Covenant and New Covenant, is still in effect. And it is from the Abrahamic Covenant that the New Covenant emerges from. And this New Covenant was made with Israel and Judah. (Jer. 31:31-34) "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:..."

What leads me to believe that God will continue with chastisement and restoration of Israel as a nation of God, is the eternal promises from Him concerning that. (Amos 9:15) "And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God." (Jer. 31:35-36) "Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon, and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me forever."

At this present time, the time of the Church, any who come to Christ, Jew or Gentile, become part of the Church. But this doesn't mean God is finished with his work with Israel to establish her as a believing nation. (Rom. 9-11) certainly support this. And concerning these chapters one should ask why in the world are they there? Paul has been giving us the great doctrines of the Christian faith and now for some reason talks about Israel. Why? Because he just made the statements in (Rom. 8) how that God is always faithful. God will never leave His people. But what about Israel? If God is so faithful, why does He abandon Israel and His promise to her? These are questions that will be in the Jews mind when they hear or read this. So Paul answers in (Rom. 9-11) that God is not done with Israel. He will be faithful to all that He has promised.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Indeed, if the covenants were dependent on us for any to experience the blessings of those covenants, then they are all useless except in pointing out our failure.
ah ok, but speak for yourself wadr, i can read. I mean sure, you can dwell on failing if you want, all fall short, but i'm over here being told "no" quoting pretty simple instructions, imo. Just no one wants to follow them, so they read like wolves. Try that crap on your dad lol, see what happens

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But the only covenant that has been done away is the Mosaic Covenant, The Law.
so you say, but many Christians, and i guess pretty much all believers, still operate "under the law," even though they might say otherwise. Of course that does not make the promise of no effect; except for them. You can tell me how much you love Jesus all you like, and praise God that Jesus has set you free, but then when you go call the cops rather than call on the Lord you are made into a hypocrite, obviously

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ah ok, but speak for yourself wadr, i can read. I mean sure, you can dwell on failing if you want, all fall short, but i'm over here being told "no" quoting pretty simple instructions, imo. Just no one wants to follow them, so they read like wolves. Try that crap on your dad lol, see what happens

Are you aware of how little actual sense you make? You may have a point, but I can never figure out what you're actually saying.

Reactions: Helen and tabletalk

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed, if the covenants were dependent on us for any to experience the blessings of those covenants, then they are all useless except in pointing out our failure. But the only covenant that has been done away is the Mosaic Covenant, The Law. (Gal. 3:17) "And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect."

The Abrahamic Covenant, (Gen. 12:1-3) which contain also the Palestinian Covenant and Davidic Covenant and New Covenant, is still in effect. And it is from the Abrahamic Covenant that the New Covenant emerges from. And this New Covenant was made with Israel and Judah. (Jer. 31:31-34) "Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:..."

What leads me to believe that God will continue with chastisement and restoration of Israel as a nation of God, is the eternal promises from Him concerning that. (Amos 9:15) "And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God." (Jer. 31:35-36) "Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon, and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name: If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me forever."

At this present time, the time of the Church, any who come to Christ, Jew or Gentile, become part of the Church. But this doesn't mean God is finished with his work with Israel to establish her as a believing nation. (Rom. 9-11) certainly support this. And concerning these chapters one should ask why in the world are they there? Paul has been giving us the great doctrines of the Christian faith and now for some reason talks about Israel. Why? Because he just made the statements in (Rom. 8) how that God is always faithful. God will never leave His people. But what about Israel? If God is so faithful, why does He abandon Israel and His promise to her? These are questions that will be in the Jews mind when they hear or read this. So Paul answers in (Rom. 9-11) that God is not done with Israel. He will be faithful to all that He has promised.

Stranger

I'm probably more "pre-trib" than 'Amil" when it comes to God's future plans for Israel, I've come to realise, so agree pretty much with you here. But I would ask one question that keeps bugging me and I've never heard a Dispensationalist address, if you don't mind. All the talk of the Abrahamic Covenant and the everlasting promises God made to him about the land. How do you then reconcile than Paul takes this promise and spins it fulfilled in Christ?

Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. - Galatians 3:16

Are we then seeing a double fulfillment, as we often do in scripture? Or is Paul using it as an example of a much larger truth? That in Christ we all access that promise..and more? But it still leaves the original promise intact?

Sorry for the 50 questions, by the way! But this is really helping me sort through some stuff, so thanks!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ah, that was a command, not a request?
Was you name mentioned??? where you there when Jesus sent the 12, has He appeared to you in a vision and asked you to go.. there are many "christians" doing stuff and being disobedient to teh Lord, if you give to the poor, thats good we al should, when you help someone in need that to is expected of us, but not all are prophets or evangelists, and those things dont come from going to bible college or determined by men, they are positions that come from God, His call not mens...

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm probably more "pre-trib" than 'Amil" when it comes to God's future plans for Israel, I've come to realise, so agree pretty much with you here. But I would ask one question that keeps bugging me and I've never heard a Dispensationalist address, if you don't mind. All the talk of the Abrahamic Covenant and the everlasting promises God made to him about the land. How do you then reconcile than Paul takes this promise and spins it fulfilled in Christ?

Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ. - Galatians 3:16

Are we then seeing a double fulfillment, as we often do in scripture? Or is Paul using it as an example of a much larger truth? That in Christ we all access that promise..and more? But it still leaves the original promise intact?

Sorry for the 50 questions, by the way! But this is really helping me sort through some stuff, so thanks!

I know...I'm really helping you out here.

(Gal. 3:16) is clear that Paul is addressing Christ as the seed.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Are you aware of how little actual sense you make? You may have a point, but I can never figure out what you're actually saying.
hmm, well in this case if you trackback and follow the convo through a couple of posts, see that what i meant there is that i posted a commandment from Christ, and was told that no, that is not what should be done! But i also don't want to belabor the point, so maybe to a casual reader who cannot find the trackback button, that one comment might make no sense, yes.

i used to worry about that stuff, but now whenever i read one, i either just assume it was meant for someone else, or ask a Q like you have, more or less; even if i hope i would phrase it diff
then the two of you should be doing what Jesus commanded, right? Go to different towns, stay in one house while you are there, and eat what they give you. Of course our model, current definition of "witness" will be overcome here, but oh well. If you wanna exorcise demons, raise the dead, etc, this is how to do it

Actually no

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Was you name mentioned?
if i hope to be the Disciple Whom Jesus Loved, i suggest that i better learn where to insert my name! Yes, my name was directly mentioned, any time you read "disciple" or "apostle" or etc, that is the position i wish to attain, ergo those directives are instructions to me.

But bam read history there if you like ok, maybe those disciples were given instructions that somehow do not apply to you, i dunno. I could make the observation that certainly no one else listens to Jesus there, huh. But it sure seems that we're quick enough to take literally what appeals to us

i bothered to post it bc it produces fruit, not bc it is a pleasant thing to do

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
if i hope to be the Disciple Whom Jesus Loved, i suggest that i better learn where to insert my name! Yes, my name was directly mentioned, any time you read "disciple" or "apostle" or etc, that is the position i wish to attain, ergo those directives are instructions to me.
No it is not, have you not read,

Luk_14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

becoming a christian does not a disciple make.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
No it is not, have you not read,

Luk_14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

becoming a christian does not a disciple make.
um, ok, i don't see that Jesus was trying to make anyone a Christian there lol, but i guess you might. How does your Luke v apply there? Don't get your point, sorry

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
hmm, well in this case if you trackback and follow the convo through a couple of posts, see that what i meant there is that i posted a commandment from Christ, and was told that no, that is not what should be done! But i also don't want to belabor the point, so maybe to a casual reader who cannot find the trackback button, that one comment might make no sense, yes.

i used to worry about that stuff, but now whenever i read one, i either just assume it was meant for someone else, or ask a Q like you have, more or less; even if i hope i would phrase it diff

Well, it's not just that I may or may not have been following your previous conversation...but whatever.

I know...I'm really helping you out here.

(Gal. 3:16) is clear that Paul is addressing Christ as the seed.

Stranger

Yes, it's clear that Paul is addressing Christ in Gal 3. But does that change how we view the Abrahamic passages? Do we take it through the lens that Paul puts in place for us, or do we allow ourselves to view it as a double fulfillment; both for the Jews and Christ....? Christ being the ultimate fulfillment, but the Jews still receiving it because of the initial promise....

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
um, ok, i don't see that Jesus was trying to make anyone a Christian there lol, but i guess you might. How does your Luke v apply there? Don't get your point, sorry
being a christian does no make on an apostle.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it's clear that Paul is addressing Christ in Gal 3. But does that change how we view the Abrahamic passages? Do we take it through the lens that Paul puts in place for us, or do we allow ourselves to view it as a double fulfillment; both for the Jews and Christ....? Christ being the ultimate fulfillment, but the Jews still receiving it because of the initial promise....

You seem to want to say Paul is saying something different than what the Abrahamic passages say. I'm not sure why there needs to be any double fulfillment. The Abrahamic Covenant is clear that Abrahams physical seed will inherit the land. (Gen. 17:4-8) And this speaks to many. But they will only inherit it due to their relationship with Jesus Christ the Seed of Abraham. So the Gentiles in the Church receive the promise of the Spirit due to their relationship to the Seed, Jesus Christ. (Gal.3:14) (Gen. 22:18) Israel receives the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant due to not only being a physical seed from Abraham but in a right relationship to the Seed Jesus Christ. (Rom. 9:7)

Stranger

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
being a christian does no make on an apostle.
well, never said it did, but i don't see how that is a justification for ignoring plain commands from Christ to go wadr
i mean what, "i'm not an apostle, and i def don't see two of me, so that must not apply to me?" ok, go with that then

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first one: Teachers for the Rapture always say that God will take us out of the world before pouring out his wrath on it. They cite passages such as: 1 Thess 1:10, 1 Thess 5:9, Luke 21:36. All about escaping the coming wrath. My question is this: I can find nowhere that states that this 'wrath' must be judgement poured out in the Tribulation. In fact, in context, it seems much more likely that what is being talked about is both wrath and judgement of ultimate finality. In some passages it talks of them being under wrath but us having ultimate salvation, for example:
For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ - 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Those who teach that we are raptured before the trib are on the pre-trib rapture doctrine that began in 1830's Great Britain by the Edward Irving church and John Darby's association with that church. That is where Dispensationalism started. For over 1,800 years, that doctrine was never preached in any Christian Church. I mention this as a basis for answering since you mentioned Dispensationalism.

In 1 Thess.5, Paul was pulling from the OT prophets about the "day of the Lord" event which is to occur on the final day of this present world. Paul contrasted us, the Church, against the deceived who will be saying, "Peace and safety" when the "sudden destruction" comes upon them. In 2 Peter 3:10, Peter showed God's consuming fire burning man's works off this earth is what will occur on that "day of the Lord" that will come "as a thief in the night", and that is the "sudden destruction" Paul was speaking of.

So the "sudden destruction" is timed with the "day of the Lord", which happens on the final day of this world. And it comes "as a thief in the night" (1 Thess.5).

In Rev.16:15, our Lord Jesus is still warning His Church on the 6th Vial. He said He comes "as a thief". And the next event there is the gathering of the armies to do battle at Armageddon on the 7th Vial.

By that He linked His coming with what Paul and Peter taught about the "day of the Lord" coming "as a thief in the night". Thus our Lord Jesus revealed just by that, that His 2nd coming and our gathering is on that "day of the Lord" when He comes "as a thief". His coming "as a thief" will be upon the wicked and deceived who least expect Him. His coming is not to take us by surprise.

But in the earlier parts of Revelation 16, we are shown vials of wrath being poured out already, prior to the final 7th Vial. That is one of the places where pre-trib pastors try to apply Paul's 'we are not appointed to wrath' and then say well, we must be gone by then. Yet Paul was teaching about the final day of this world in 1 Thess.5, the "day of the Lord" final day, and thus the final... wrath on that last day, i.e., God's cup of wrath being poured out on the 7th trumpet and 7th vial.

What about those previous Vials of Rev.16 then? Per Rev.11, God's two witnesses are to appear in Jerusalem and prophesy against the beast for 1260 days (pointng the trib timing). Their ministry will be similar to Moses and Aaron in Egypt with the plagues. There's the previous events of wrath poured out upon the wicked, during the coming tribulation. This is why it says there in Rev.11 that when the two witnesses are killed, the nations that were tormented by them will then send gifts to each other (i.e., party it up because the two witnesses are dead).

And: Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. - John 3:36
Then if we look at some others in context:
What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction - Romans 9:22.......and we know that "destruction" means eternal punishment, not the Tribulation trials because....They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might, when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed, because our testimony to you was believed. - 2 Thessalonians 1:9–10

Here is how the actual John 3:36 Scripture is written. The ASV, NAS, RSV, NASB, are all in error on that passage having 'do not obey the Son'. Greek apeitheo is in the NT manuscripts (Majority Texts) of that passage, which means 'believes not'.

John 3:36
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

KJV

The Romans 9 passage is about the vessels prepared for today's wrath by God, not eternal wrath. For example, Paul speaks specifically about pharaoh there in one case. Pharaoh and his army who chased after Moses perished in the Red Sea after Moses and the children of Israel had passed through it. There's even been relics of their chariots found in our time in the Red Sea to prove it happened. So Pharaoh's flesh perished, but not his soul. No soul born through woman's womb has been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" just yet, not even Judas. Only Satan and his angels have already been judged and sentenced to perdition.

The 2 Thessalonians 1 passage is like a summary of events. Although Rev.20 mentions Jesus will reign for a thousand years with His elect over the nations, that wasn't included there. So Paul was merely pointing to those who eventually go into the "lake of fire" because of disbelief.

Again:
But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed. - Romans 2:5

With that Rom.2 passage, you have to keep to the flow from verse 1. Paul is pointing to those who are high-and-mighty, haughty, who think themselves as judge of others (regarding salvation). "What? You go around judging others and you do the same unrighteous acts they do?" That's kind of what Paul is saying. We are not to judge who is or isn't going to hell. Remember Apostle Paul before our Lord Jesus struck him down on the road to Damascus (Acts 9). Paul was following the unbelieving Jews, persecuting Christ's Church before his conversion. Do you think some of the Christians Paul persecuted then thought he was doomed to go to hell? Likely, but still not ours to judge that, that power belongs only to our Lord Jesus Whom The Father made Judge of all things in final.