Under sin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
H. Richard said:
Boy are you hardheaded. Jesus taught the law to the JEWS who were under the law.

You just can't separate the law from grace and that is your problem, not mine.
Your problem is your fixation with Paul and misinterpretation of his epistles...seems your fixation is based on looking for ways to get out of keeping God's law, the ten commandments, instead of ways to keep them...remember Paul cannot save you, as you seem to think...only Jesus, His teachings in the Gospels, and His sacrifice on the Cross can save you...As Peter warns in 2nd Peter 3.16...you misinterpret Paul's messages to your own destruction...1st John says this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and they are not burdensome!....

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
heretoeternity said:
Your problem is your fixation with Paul and misinterpretation of his epistles...seems your fixation is based on looking for ways to get out of keeping God's law, the ten commandments, instead of ways to keep them...remember Paul cannot save you, as you seem to think...only Jesus, His teachings in the Gospels, and His sacrifice on the Cross can save you...As Peter warns in 2nd Peter 3.16...you misinterpret Paul's messages to your own destruction...1st John says this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments, and they are not burdensome!....
I don't have a problem. It is clear to me that Jesus taught the law to those under the law. Those in Christ are dead to the law. All you are doing is what the Judaizers were doing to Paul's convert; get them back under the law.

Rom 6:10-12
10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
NKJV

Verse 12 is what many use to put those of faith back under the law. But that is not what it says. Those who have faith In Jesus' work on the cross are walking in faith and the law is dead to them

Rom 7:4-6
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another — to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
NKJV

If a person, like many on this forum, are so interested in sin then they are not walking in the Spirit.

TopherNelson

Jan 11, 2015
H. Richard said:
I don't have a problem. It is clear to me that Jesus taught the law to those under the law. Those in Christ are dead to the law. All you are doing is what the Judaizers were doing to Paul's convert; get them back under the law.

10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
NKJV

Verse 12 is what many use to put those of faith back under the law. But that is not what it says. Those who have faith In Jesus' work on the cross are walking in faith and the law is dead to them

Rom 7:4-6
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another — to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God.
5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death.
6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.
NKJV

If a person, like many on this forum, are so interested in sin then they are not walking in the Spirit.
The Old covenant law is replaced with the new covenant law. I asked you guys to study about Ancient Near East covenants for this purpose:
Each covenant has its own law. However, we follow the same commandment, "a new commandment I give to you, to love the Lord God and love your neighbor, for this hang all the laws and prophet". "Love harms no one, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
heretoeternity said:
Lol....you and the rest can follow any false teachings you want, obviously....however God's ten commandments will endure forever, as the moral law for all to follow...failure to follow this law of God is SIN..1st John...sin is transgression of God's law...
The law as you may know it is not eternal. The spirit of the Law is.
How do you murder if there is no death? Only by hating.
How do you commit adultery without marriage? It is likened to idolatry.
How do you practice idolatry without idols? By putting something before God.
How do you not keep the sabbath when you are in God's rest? By going out of it and doing your own thing.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
H.Richard,

That is how I was taught to address people in letter or memo.

Since you custom is different then perhaps you could let me know how to address a post in agreement with that custom. Thank you.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
H.Richard,

You quoted:

NKJV

What do you think the command "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts" means?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kerwin said:
H.Richard,

You quoted:

NKJV

What do you think the command "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts" means?
*** Notice the box around thje above. If you use the QUOTE button it will put the post you are replying to in a box.

The answer in your question is that if you are trying to live by commandments you are letting sin reign in your body.

I am dead to sins of the flesh because I am ""IN CHRIST"". As it says above in verse 11.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
How do you not keep the sabbath when you are in God's rest? By going out of it and doing your own thing.
Rom 14:5-6
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
NKJV

Why do you judge others about the Sabbath day?

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
H. Richard said:
*** Notice the box around thje above. If you use the QUOTE button it will put the post you are replying to in a box.
Thank you! I did see that but I find it burdensome to use the quote int hose case I see it as unnecessary or detrimental to understanding. I thought there was another custom here.

I will try to remember to use it when it does not distract from the conversation.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
H. Richard said:

The answer in your question is that if you are trying to live by commandments you are letting sin reign in your body.

I am dead to sins of the flesh because I am ""IN CHRIST"". As it says above in verse 11.

I think you are coming from the point of Paul's words to the effect that "before the Law came there was no sin". His words are hard to understand but elsewhere he speaks of those that walk according to the Spirit not doing the sins of the flesh. The Law makes us aware of our sins but the Spirit sets us free from them. It is the freedom and not the awareness Paul is addressing in Romans 6:12.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
H. Richard said:
Rom 14:5-6
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
NKJV

Why do you judge others about the Sabbath day?
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I was speaking of things in the heaven, things true for those living by the Spirit.

They would obey many of his commands without even knowing them.

Salvation by works is like trying to push a heavy cart yourself. But suppose you try to push a cart with a horse, your find that doesn't work either as the horse will push the cart off the road. But when you put the cart behind the horse it can traverse the road easily. So it is for those who live by the Spirit.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
lforrest said:
Do you know what you are talking about?
Of course Jesus introduced the "spirit' of the law by making it a sin to "hate your brother for know reason" that is equivalent to murder..etc...
God's law is written on the hearts and minds of His people, and He is their God"...Hebrews 8

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
lforrest said:
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I was speaking of things in the heaven, things true for those living by the Spirit.

They would obey many of his commands without even knowing them.

Salvation by works is like trying to push a heavy cart yourself. But suppose you try to push a cart with a horse, your find that doesn't work either as the horse will push the cart off the road. But when you put the cart behind the horse it can traverse the road easily. So it is for those who live by the Spirit.
The Sabbath day was created by God, when He created the seventh day of the week, and made it a rest day, He blessed the day and sanctified it..NO other day of the week was given that special treatment by the creator...so if you do not believe in this day you do not believe in creation at all, as the seventh day sabbath is as much a part of creation as we are, and everthing else He made. But as Daniel prophesied the Roman system would come along and "change" God's times and laws, which they did about 1000 years later, and we are still living under this pagan Roman system...the vast majority of the so called "christian" churches or "protestant" churches have gone for this Roman system hook, line and sinker, and figure they are so pious, but they are actually the harlot daughters of mother Rome, described in Revelation 17

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

The Roman system and every other non Law of Moses system would change the dates and times according to that reasoning. That includes the systems in place at the time and before the time Daniel prophesied.

The Sabbaths are day and years given to the Jews as holidays. They were not given to the Gentiles.

You do not understand the Law of Moses so how can you understand the new covenant?

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
kerwin said:
Heretoeternity,

The Roman system and every other non Law of Moses system would change the dates and times according to that reasoning. That includes the systems in place at the time and before the time Daniel prophesied.

The Sabbaths are day and years given to the Jews as holidays. They were not given to the Gentiles.

You do not understand the Law of Moses so how can you understand the new covenant?
Wrong again....the Sabbath day was created by God at Creation....it is a Holy day whether you and your false teachers believe it or not...time to get up to speed on the New Covenant, God's commandments, and the Salvation process...we are all under the law of God, and we are saved by Grace, and after that repentance, and following God's law...if you continue to sin (transgress the law 1st John) equals no salvation....
Salvation comes about by God's grace, and keeping His commandments as proof of salvation...

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
heretoeternity said:
Wrong again....the Sabbath day was created by God at Creation....it is a Holy day whether you and your false teachers believe it or not...time to get up to speed on the New Covenant, God's commandments, and the Salvation process...we are all under the law of God, and we are saved by Grace, and after that repentance, and following God's law...if you continue to sin (transgress the law 1st John) equals no salvation....
Salvation comes about by God's grace, and keeping His commandments as proof of salvation...
So in the end a person is saved by his/her works trying to keep the law, right? Jesus just came to die on a cross so that mankind could save themselves by what they do, right? So there is not a free gift from God, right?

You have proved over and over that your faith is in what you do and not in what Jesus did on the cross. I wonder how God sees that.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

Genesis 2:1-3Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

2 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

I see where he blessed it, made it holy, and even rested on it and yet not one word where he yet gave it to humanity.

What writings are you reading?

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

I have was raised Seventh Day Adventist and know how they place to much emphasis on holding the Saturday as the Sabbath and eating clean meats or even being vegetarians instead of how to walk according to the Spirit. In doing so they do just what Paul is addressing in some points in his letters.

That being that they continue to walk according to the flesh and pick certain things of the Law to do by human effort and then believe they are saved. In the sum of things they are no different than unbelievers.

Note:Sincere Jews know the Law better than you even though they reject Christ.

kerwin

Aug 17, 2016
Heretoeternity,

Hypothetically the reason the day of rest was changed from Saturday to Sunday is the same reason celebration of Jesus' death and resurrection was changed from Passover to Easter. In both cases I suspicion is was to separate Christianity from Judaism. Even then it was possibly a way for Gentiles to avoid the Roman Temple Tax, fiscus Judaicus. There may also have been some prejudice against Jews involved.