Vaping problems? / benefits?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you think vaping is:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So there is a lot of discussion about vaping; some find it highly problematic; others find it beneficial (helping to quit cigarettes, etc.). This is a topical subject these days which has not been discussed lately on the forums.

(Comments/thoughts?)
It seems you are unaware farouk of peddling the enemy's agenda. Let me tell you now, your posts on these things do not glorify God neither are they becoming for one who claims a part in God's Kingdom.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk as you may know...I’m a smoker. Wish I wasn’t, but I am. Our daughter quit and now vapes...although it hasn’t helped her quit entirely, she says she feels a lot better with far less symptoms of tar. They do have filters now to remove the tar, the same as vapes.

@VictoryinJesus Thanks a lot for your thoughtful post.

While if you can cut down or even quit cigarettes altogether, great! (and ppl have indeed found that vaping helps a great deal the process of cutting down and even quitting) yet a very good thing to keep coming back to and constantly remembering for you, as a smoking woman, is that you are an adult woman and no one should ever guilt-manipulate you. Huge numbers of adult women happen to smoke. Whether you smoke, whether you cut down or whether you quit: you are an adult woman, period.

Same for your daughter, really, as a vaping woman. No longer a little girl, she's an adult woman. Same, really, with what you said in the past about her being tattooed. It's manifestly a mainstream fact that huge numbers of women happen to be tattooed (and the fact is also that so often the chosen inkings - injectings sought as adults - are in faith or family designs). For parents it can sometimes be hard to "let go" of the little girl that once was, but the plain fact is that, as regards smoking women, vaping women and tattooed women, they are adults. Whether she has tattoos, covers them, gets them changed or even wants more, she is an adult woman, period.

Probably the best thing for smoking women, vaping women, tattooed women (etc.) is — whatever else — as adults, simply to be matter of fact about it.

(Also copied to the current tattoo thread, where it is relevant.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: Interesting to see the sheer, wide diversity of views being expressed in the poll answers (this is really how it should be, I reckon): all of the options have been voted for already.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yet a very good thing to keep coming back to and constantly remembering for you, as a smoking woman, is that you are an adult woman and no one should ever guilt-manipulate you.

Only my perspective. To me it is sin. Why I say this is because our granddaughter who is almost three...she is so precious and there isn’t any guilt-manipulation...but when she asks as I’m walking out the door to go outside, “you going to smoke a cigarette?” there is a guilty conscience. My husband had a stent put in his heart and they told him to quit, and there I am right beside him smoking away. Again, a guilty conscience even when no one else says a thing or pushes. God has shown me He can do the impossible on other things in my life. I have no doubt He can do the impossible here too. He says to think more about others than yourself....for me there is still a lot of self.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Only my perspective. To me it is sin. Why I say this is because our granddaughter who is almost three...she is so precious and there isn’t any guilt-manipulation...but when she asks as I’m walking out the door to go outside, “you going to smoke a cigarette?” there is a guilty conscience. My husband had a stent put in his heart and they told him to quit, and there I am right beside him smoking away. Again, a guilty conscience even when no one else says a thing or pushes. God has shown me He can do the impossible on other things in my life. I have no doubt He can do the impossible here too. He says to think more about others than yourself....for me there is still a lot of self.
@VictoryinJesus I can see by the way you explain it that you do indeed have a particular perspective.

When one remembers also that the great preacher Spurgeon (1836-1892) smoked and that he was a help to countless listeners and readers of his sermons, it's good to keep it in broader perspective; yes, indeed, you have your own particular selfless reasons to want to cease doing it.

I see you wisely added the word 'only': i.e., 'only my perspective'; that is, you seem to accept that others doing it in different circumstances might be different.

If it's what you indeed intend to do, then I hope your quitting efforts are successful (maybe vaping for a while would help to achieve that end).

PS: Culture has a lot to do with it; the funny thing is that in North America in the 19th century, the subjective taboos were often quite different; for example, prior to the Civil War, it was apparently widespread for churchgoing women to smoke after the service; indeed, it was apparently considered rude not to join in.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I’m a smoker. Wish I wasn’t, but I am.
@VictoryinJesus I know you have plans to quit, and so this is great. I do think there is a blessing also in it becoming thoroughly internalized that, whether you are and remain a smoker or whether you become and remain a non-smoker, who you are is not altered. If you become a non-smoker you can be confident as a non-smoker as there will be a reason for it; and if in fact you remain a smoker you can also be confident as there is a reason for it also. Happy quitting if it succeeds, but one way or the other no need to beat yourself up; and vaping might be a useful transition as your daughter has proved.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@VictoryinJesus I know you have plans to quit, and so this is great. I do think there is a blessing also in it becoming thoroughly internalized that, whether you are and remain a smoker or whether you become and remain a non-smoker, who you are is not altered. If you become a non-smoker you can be confident as a non-smoker as there will be a reason for it; and if in fact you remain a smoker you can also be confident as there is a reason for it also. Happy quitting if it succeeds, but one way or the other no need to beat yourself up; and vaping might be a useful transition as your daughter has proved.
I'm curious farouk.....I have noticed you say nothing in your posts except platitudes. The curiosity centres around wether your thoughts and words only consist of the utterances of others ie, nothing original?

This is not mean't to be offensive but rather to spur you on to doing your own process work.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
she asks as I’m walking out the door to go outside, “you going to smoke a cigarette?”
Do you think she is really challenging you when she asks this at such a young age? I would think she is being just matter of fact and innocent; she knows that it's what you do (she probably doesn't even know the word 'vaping'...)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think she is really challenging you when she asks this at such a young age? I would think she is being just matter of fact and innocent; she knows that it's what you do (she probably doesn't even know the word 'vaping'...)
‘Do you think she is really challenging you when she ask this at such a young age?’ Not at all. That is what I meant by no guilt-manipulation on her part. She usually ask because she wants to go outside with me but will wait till I come back, if that is where I am going.

Reactions: farouk