Walking in the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16-26 KJV
16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23) Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

In this passage, I see two types of descriptions of a person, in "the works of the flesh" and in "the fruit of the Spirit".

I see some of God's precious promises, that we can avoid fulfilling the lusts of the flesh, that we can live in liberty, that we can crucify our flesh, that we can walk in the Spirit.

Not that we can do so of ourselves, but if we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

How can we walk in the Spirit? How do we know when we are not? When we've stopped? How can we become sensitive to these things so as to immediately deny our flesh? How so we consistently remain walking in the Spirit?

I invite serious and meaningful responses as we develop this important topic.

Much Love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

19) Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20) Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21) Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

24) And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
26) Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

In this passage, I see two types of descriptions of a person, in "the works of the flesh" and in "the fruit of the Spirit".

I see some of God's precious promises, that we can avoid fulfilling the lusts of the flesh, that we can live in liberty, that we can crucify our flesh, that we can walk in the Spirit.

Not that we can do so of ourselves, but if we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

How can we walk in the Spirit? How do we know when we are not? When we've stopped? How can we become sensitive to these things so as to immediately deny our flesh? How so we consistently remain walking in the Spirit?

Much Love!
Thanks Mark we have been discussing these ideas for several months now in our men’s discipleship groups. I’m planning on going into the passages in the OP ( the new thread I started)with our Saturday morning group( 4 of us ) highlighting the commands and imperatives in them. We highlighted all of the ones pointing out our mind, thoughts this morning.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:7-14 KJV
7) For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8) Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9) Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10) For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11) Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord
12) Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13) Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

We have the power to deny sin, deny the flesh, the "mortal body".

Recognizing the reality of God's work is the faith that enables us to walk in it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned to look where my hjeart is

Is my heart serving others. in love..

Or is it serving self.. either not doing anything, or doing something but looking for praise or reward..which would be works of the flesh
What is it in you that signals to you that you've stopped walking in the Spirit?

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Much of the time we know immediately if we have veered from the path of righteousness and for a while not waled in the path of the Spirit. For instance if we are rude or sharp with another person or get angry with them. We know straight away and can put things right with an apology and seek forgiveness.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much Love!
We invite the spirit into our lives when we do the following:

Obey the commandments
Attend church
Pray
Read scriptures
Serve God (proclaim the true gospel)
Serve our fellow man (help the needy and less fortunate)

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much Love!
Hi Marks,

The greatest error regarding walking in the Spirit is that of unbelief.

I mean, many read and become well educated in the scriptures and the way of God whom is spirit, but continue to turn back to the terms and ways of this world in their understanding and application of what they have learned--which is actually evidence that they have not learned and all, but have only misunderstood and assumed the actions of another gospel.

Take the saying, "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." Many automatically assume this to be allegory, which is correct...and they believe. And when they read that "Jesus spoke of the temple of His body" rather than the stone temple in Jerusalem, they also accept it to be allegory. And when Jesus said, "The words that I speak to you are spirit" they acknowledge it as true. But when many of those same people read a host of other passages that are also spirit--they don't believe it and revert back to their own understanding like Nicodemus who assumed that one must reenter their mother's womb to be born again...as if they had learned nothing of the nature by which God reveals all things.

An example of this classic error would be to consume all of the spiritual lessons of the scriptures and the great opposing difference between the flesh and the spirit, only to get to the end of the gospels and have no clue about what "like manner" Jesus returns. After the great barrage of not "flesh and blood", but spirit this, spirit that, spirit, spirit, spirit, by the spirit, in the spirit, spirit this again, spirit that again--God is spirit--Jesus is God--God is spirit....BUT no, no, Jesus returns physically in the flesh??

Who is that inept? And you think unbelieving Israel suffered from a type of blindness? --Yeah right!

Granted, some of the scriptures can and should be taken as meaning just what it says, simply as being worldly practical. But seriously, how much should one really think the eternal word of God is about the non-eternal world? I should think that the measure that applies here, is also the measure and lack of ability one has in walking in the spirit. Certainly, this is what is meant by a dog returning to its own vomit.

Unfortunately.

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

Much Love!
The Law was given that those with a carnal mind could know they sin without themselves having the mind of God.

Having the Spirit of God to conform us to the mind of God we should be able to avoid sinning without even knowing the Law.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We invite the spirit into our lives when we do the following:

Attend church
Pray
Read scriptures
Serve God (proclaim the true gospel)
Serve our fellow man (help the needy and less fortunate)
This has an uncomfortable ring of legalism. We invite the Spirit into our lives (once) when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior. The above list is salvation by works.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This has an uncomfortable ring of legalism. We invite the Spirit into our lives (once) when we accept Jesus Christ as our Savior. The above list is salvation by works.
Wow Jim. Legalism is what the Pharisees do. They didn't show love to God and Neighbor as I suggested you do. Nope, it's the truth Jim. We repent with works. And when we act in repentance, the spirit is there. Not to mention it shows we follow and love Jesus and the Father. Idle people get very little spiritual interaction. But you did remind me to add "obey the commandments" to also invite the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much of the time we know immediately if we have veered from the path of righteousness and for a while not waled in the path of the Spirit. For instance if we are rude or sharp with another person or get angry with them. We know straight away and can put things right with an apology and seek forgiveness.
A shift in our mental/emotional landscape.

The other question I should have asked also ( a personal "Doh! moment), What tells us we are walking in the Spirit? How does walking in the Spirit differ from having a really good day, for instance?

Much love!

Reactions: ChristisGod

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A shift in our mental/emotional landscape.

The other question I should have asked also ( a personal "Doh! moment), What tells us we are walking in the Spirit? How does walking in the Spirit differ from having a really good day, for instance?

Much love!
The spirit has fruits. That's how I know I'm walking in the Holy Spirit. I get the fruits of the works. Which is why I posted the pattern I've learned from the Holy Spirit in post #8:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:11-12 KJV
11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Soul and Spirit

Soul, psuches, what we call the psyche. Our own personality, the strenth of our own will, our commitment and determination. Spirit, that which was born from God in our regeneration.

Matthew 11:29 KJV
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Rest for your souls, your psyche. When we walk in the Spirit, His fruit becomes our character, and we don't struggle, we rest.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Marks,

The greatest error regarding walking in the Spirit is that of unbelief.

I mean, many read and become well educated in the scriptures and the way of God whom is spirit, but continue to turn back to the terms and ways of this world in their understanding and application of what they have learned--which is actually evidence that they have not learned and all, but have only misunderstood and assumed the actions of another gospel.

Take the saying, "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." Many automatically assume this to be allegory, which is correct...and they believe. And when they read that "Jesus spoke of the temple of His body" rather than the stone temple in Jerusalem, they also accept it to be allegory. And when Jesus said, "The words that I speak to you are spirit" they acknowledge it as true. But when many of those same people read a host of other passages that are also spirit--they don't believe it and revert back to their own understanding like Nicodemus who assumed that one must reenter their mother's womb to be born again...as if they had learned nothing of the nature by which God reveals all things.

An example of this classic error would be to consume all of the spiritual lessons of the scriptures and the great opposing difference between the flesh and the spirit, only to get to the end of the gospels and have no clue about what "like manner" Jesus returns. After the great barrage of not "flesh and blood", but spirit this, spirit that, spirit, spirit, spirit, by the spirit, in the spirit, spirit this again, spirit that again--God is spirit--Jesus is God--God is spirit....BUT no, no, Jesus returns physically in the flesh??

Who is that inept? And you think unbelieving Israel suffered from a type of blindness? --Yeah right!

Granted, some of the scriptures can and should be taken as meaning just what it says, simply as being worldly practical. But seriously, how much should one really think the eternal word of God is about the non-eternal world? I should think that the measure that applies here, is also the measure and lack of ability one has in walking in the spirit. Certainly, this is what is meant by a dog returning to its own vomit.

Unfortunately.
I agree, a failure to appreciate the "other-worldliness" of our life in Christ really holds us back. And this world system is so deeply embedded in our flesh. Understanding we are truly no longer of this world is what really lets us function in it the way we ought.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:11-12 KJV
11) Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Soul and Spirit

Soul, psuches, what we call the psyche. Our own personality, the strenth of our own will, our commitment and determination. Spirit, that which was born from God in our regeneration.

Matthew 11:29 KJV
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Rest for your souls, your psyche. When we walk in the Spirit, His fruit becomes our character, and we don't struggle, we rest.

Much love!
Interesting since the definition of soul is spirit. Honestly that may be a reference to dividing spirits. Probably a reference to exorcism.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law was given that those with a carnal mind could know they sin without themselves having the mind of God.

Having the Spirit of God to conform us to the mind of God we should be able to avoid sinning without even knowing the Law.
That's how I see these various lists in the Bible. Law, "these shall not inherit", the fruit, the love, all of these, give us a mirror to see ourselves in.

I see two key ways I think God is working in me, one is by walking in the Spirit, which for me is a time of communion with God, and of peacefulness of heart, and that my conscience is clean, and I just move from doing one thing to the next, absorbed in the work of God in that particular moment, whether doing dishes, writing this post, helping customers at work, whatever it is.

And then there are times that I realize I've allowed fleshy thoughts or feelings distract me, and I don't catch it, and I find I'm back into the struggle to maintain and overcome, wondering what I should do next, concerned over what may come.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting since the definition of soul is spirit. Honestly that may be a reference to dividing spirits. Probably a reference to exorcism.
It's psuches and pnuema, soul and spirit, definately not having to do with exorcism. The simplest way for you to confirm this would be a word study using a concordance for both these words.

Much love!