Was James confused?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope this is not taken the wrong way. It is not intended to offend anyone. These are my personal thoughts based on what the scriptures actually say and put in this study.

The old saying that James and Paul were teaching the same thing, or that the word “works” each used do not mean the same thing, just doesn’t get it for me. --- One must understand that Paul addressed his letters to the Gentile churches he founded. James wrote his letter to the Jews who were scattered over the other countries (James 1:1). James’ letter was not addressed to the same churches that Paul’s letters were addressed

The study:

Was James confused? Or was he still preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, which included the Law?

James 2:20-21
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
(NKJ)

FACT! No, he was not! ---- He was accounted righteous before God several years earlier, BEFORE the birth of Isaac, and before he had done anything to "prove" his faith in God.

Genesis 15:4-6
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

FACT! Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that he did. There is nothing in Genesis 15 that mentions any works that Abraham did. Paul accurately reports this. It seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15. It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

James writes:
22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

FACT! Neither of those last two statements jives with the Genesis 15:4-6 account. Nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" BECAUSE he was willing to offer up his son Isaac. In Isaiah 41:8 it states that God called Abraham His friend but nowhere in the context of the chapter does He say it was because Abraham offered up his son Isaac.

FACT! What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in Genesis 15:4-6. Abraham was righteous before God solely because he believed God’s promises.

In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. However, it was compatible with the law. Since the word of God has to be based on truth, I find the book of James is not based on the truth and is highly suspect.

Here are some more facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

1. The word “Law” is found in 18 places
2. The word “grace” is found in 2 places
3. The word “Christ” is found in 2 places
4. The word “Justified” is found in 2 place with the words “by works” after them
5. The words “by faith” is found 1 time (justified by works and not by faith only)

6. The word “cross” is not found
7. The word “reconciled” is not found
8. The word “sanctified” is not found
9. The word “saved” is not found
10. The words “in Christ” are not found
11. The shed blood of Jesus on the cross is not mentioned.

Romans 4:1-7 Abraham Justified by Faith.
1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you don't understand it or even think that it may be erroneous, why not put it on the shelf rather than throw it out. Who among us understands perfectly everything that God has provided for us in scripture? Not I, certainly! What scholar or saint or prophet had understood or presently understand all?

We do not obtain God's truth by our logic alone, for we may well find ourselves thereby in opposition to God, Himself. Do we live for God by knowledge alone or is not faith also a necessary part of out walk with the Lord?
We do have some knowledge which God has given us, but is it not by faith that we are to walk?

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:17

And what is faith?
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

And where is it that knowledge of God and the things of God comes from?

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." John 14:26

The following verse may cause some confusion in this regard:

"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Tim 2:15

I understand that verse to mean that we need to study in obedience to God. He may or may not through the Holy Spirit give us the answers we seek through that study. The key for me is we do study, but our primary purpose is to obey rather than to learn. The learning comes through the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost may or may not lead us to truth through our studies of scripture.

Another verse that relates here is this one:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Study without the Holy Ghost leading us will make us weary in our flesh and may well lead us to the wrong conclusions.

Consider putting it on the shelf rather than throwing it out.

Reactions: tabletalk

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old saying that James and Paul were teaching the same thing, or that the word “works” each used do not mean the same thing, just doesn’t get it for me. --- One must understand that Paul addressed his letters to the Gentile churches he founded. James wrote his letter to the Jews who were scattered over the other countries (James 1:1). James’ letter was not addressed to the same churches that Paul’s letters were addressed
Good subject and I like the seeking shown in your post! I would just share that the word "justified" be looked at. It primarily has two meanings: to produce righteousness; to shown to be righteous, which are different usages and it's the usage in the sentence that determines the definition.

As with all words, they usually have at least two meanings. Here, to produce righteousness can be accomplished only by the Lord Jesus, i.e. "Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness" (1 Co 1:30). This shows effecting righteousness for us, not by us.

James 2:24: "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified." Here, "justified" means to be shown righteous, i.e. You see how that by works a man is shown (manifested) to be righteous.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have produced a study that shows FACTS. Sticking the head in the sand will not change the FACTS.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope this is not taken the wrong way. It is not intended to offend anyone. These are my personal thoughts based on what the scriptures actually say and put in this study.

The study:

Was James confused? Or was he still preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, which included the Law?

James 2:20-21
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
(NKJ)

FACT! No, he was not! ---- He was accounted righteous before God several years earlier, BEFORE the birth of Isaac, and before he had done anything to "prove" his faith in God.

Genesis 15:4-6
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
(NKJ)

FACT! Not only that, but God accounted him righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that he did. There is nothing in Genesis 15 that mentions any works that Abraham did. Paul accurately reports this. It seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15. It was not until Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, that he agreed to offer Isaac.

James writes:
22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

FACT! Neither of those last two statements jives with the Genesis 15:4-6 account. Nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" BECAUSE he was willing to offer up his son Isaac. In Isaiah 41:8 it states that God called Abraham His friend but nowhere in the context of the chapter does He say it was because Abraham offered up his son Isaac.

FACT! What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in Genesis 15:4-6. Abraham was righteous before God solely because he believed God’s promises.

In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. However, it was compatible with the law. Since the word of God has to be based on truth, I find the book of James is not based on the truth and is highly suspect.

Here are some more facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

1. The word “Law” is found in 18 places
2. The word “grace” is found in 2 places
3. The word “Christ” is found in 2 places
4. The word “Justified” is found in 2 place with the words “by works” after them
5. The words “by faith” is found 1 time (justified by works and not by faith only)

6. The word “cross” is not found
7. The word “reconciled” is not found
8. The word “sanctified” is not found
9. The word “saved” is not found
10. The words “in Christ” are not found
11. The shed blood of Jesus on the cross is not mentioned.

Romans 4:1-7 Abraham Justified by Faith.
1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV
Paul speaks to the heart and spirit. James speaks to the spirit and body.

There is no contradiction if we walk out our faith, if we put feet to it. Paul referred to the same, as "good works."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@H.Richard ...I liked the post..brave thing to do that , as some people do get annoyed about the "left v right" of the two men. :)
I have actually done what @amadeus mentioned..I have placed James "on the shelf." To me it contradicts so much of the rest of the other epistles.
In fact, with some of the things I 'hold dear', I can find scripture that can blow my own argument out of the window. ha! But I shelved them for a while.
We know that anyone can find scripture to back up their position.
I once heard a preacher take 30 mins to "make his case" about 'once saved always saved'...he 'proved' it by scriptures from ( Gen-Rev )
Then he took another 30 mins to "make his case", and he 'proved' that God would not save many, even many lazy Christians that have not 'paid the price'. He then told us to ALWAYS filter everything through and by The Holy Spirit..and never worry when some anal Christian declares that he has the 'total truth',and can prove it with scripture...( much like we see in every thread on here!! Two people fighting, using "their" personal cherry picked verses! :D )
So, for me..I shelve what I don't yet understand...and wait for God to give the light upon it and show me.
I enjoyed James and Paul...thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truth

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Would you mind sharing those contradictions?

Haha! But, then I would have to tell you what I believe in,( that some scripture seem to contradict. :D )
But there again..I suppose the scripture's that I hold dear and believe, contradict the ones the traditionalist believe in! So a two way street. :)

I wont say much more, other than, I believe 100% in GRACE...
I had an 'open vision' when least expecting it. So it is rooted within me, that is why I don't worry a when traditionalist people throw some scriptures. I will no longer debate it, because a person either believes what God has shown them, or they don't.
It did not come easy for me. I weighed it 10 years before the 'open-vision'...then I got on the floor and cried. I said- "Lord, if I step over this line, into total grace there is no going back".
I knew I would lose friends..even maybe family members. ( though all is well there now)
God is indeed, everything He said that He was. And we are an amazing part of The Plan started in Eden. "Let Us make man in Our image and likeness."

Reactions: pia and mjrhealth

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha! But, then I would have to tell you what I believe in,( that some scripture seem to contradict. :D )
But there again..I suppose the scripture's that I hold dear and believe, contradict the ones the traditionalist believe in! So a two way street. :)

I wont say much more, other than, I believe 100% in GRACE...
I had an 'open vision' when least expecting it. So it is rooted within me, that is why I don't worry a when traditionalist people throw some scriptures. I will no longer debate it, because a person either believes what God has shown them, or they don't.
It did not come easy for me. I weighed it 10 years before the 'open-vision'...then I got on the floor and cried. I said- "Lord, if I step over this line, into total grace there is no going back".
I knew I would lose friends..even maybe family members. ( though all is well there now)
God is indeed, everything He said that He was. And we are an amazing part of The Plan started in Eden. "Let Us make man in Our image and likeness."

As a child of God you did not step over the line into total grace. It is all of grace.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As a child of God you did not step over the line into total grace. It is all of grace.

Stranger

Not all would agree with you. :) (They have 'grace in measure'.)

Reactions: pia

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Haha! But, then I would have to tell you what I believe in,

As long as you're not following Satan, I don't see a problem.

If you're hesitant about sharing this on a public forum, just send me a private message.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you're hesitant about sharing this on a public forum, just send me a private message.

Okay, will do. Knowing me though...you'll probably need a cup of coffee to keep you awake...because once I get going I do tend to ramble , you've probably already noticed that!! LOL

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not all would agree with you. :) (They have 'grace in measure'.)

Indeed. And grace in measure is the same as law or works in measure. Part grace and part law. Which doesn't work. It is grace or nothing for the child of God.

Stranger

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, will do. Knowing me though...you'll probably need a cup of coffee to keep you awake...because once I get going I do tend to ramble , you've probably already noticed that!! LOL

Thank you. And just so you know, this is just between you and I.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@H.Richard ...I liked the post..brave thing to do that , as some people do get annoyed about the "left v right" of the two men. :)
I have actually done what @amadeus mentioned..I have placed James "on the shelf." To me it contradicts so much of the rest of the other epistles.
In fact, with some of the things I 'hold dear', I can find scripture that can blow my own argument out of the window. ha! But I shelved them for a while.
We know that anyone can find scripture to back up their position.
I once heard a preacher take 30 mins to "make his case" about 'once saved always saved'...he 'proved' it by scriptures from ( Gen-Rev )
Then he took another 30 mins to "make his case", and he 'proved' that God would not save many, even many lazy Christians that have not 'paid the price'. He then told us to ALWAYS filter everything through and by The Holy Spirit..and never worry when some anal Christian declares that he has the 'total truth',and can prove it with scripture...( much like we see in every thread on here!! Two people fighting, using "their" personal cherry picked verses! :D )
So, for me..I shelve what I don't yet understand...and wait for God to give the light upon it and show me.
I enjoyed James and Paul...thanks.

I have another writing you might like. But it isn't finished yet. It is not a study as such sine many will not believe what I write based on scripture anyway. It will have the Title "The Religious Box."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
a perfectly good case can be made for works without James, but if you go looking for "proof" or believe you are in possession of "facts" imo you should acknowledge that you are in court, and seeking a judgement of law anyway.

Reactions: GodsGrace