Was James confused?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@KBCid Brother if you believe that with all you striving and effort you will end up being perfect,
I am sorry, you are somewhat deluded. It is the impossible task.
Just like all the many verses you quoted from the sermon. Impossible. I would have thought that you could see that clearly and get Jesus' message!

Sister...
Let me clarify an understanding from the spirit here.
No man by his own will or effort can attain perfection however, God has commanded us to be perfect for a reason.
God commanded us to this pursuit because he knows that if we strive for it then when he gives us the helper to guide us on that path that we will be able to do it and if we falter as we are learning and striving to attain perfection then we have an advocate with the Father who will forgive us.

John 1:12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God...
49And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

Now tell me sister... Do you believe that if God is assisting you or giving you guidance by way of the helper to follow the path of righteousness (which you must desire of your own free will) that it is still impossible to attain?

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@KBCid Brother if you believe that with all you striving and effort you will end up being perfect,
I am sorry, you are somewhat deluded. It is the impossible task.
Just like all the many verses you quoted from the sermon. Impossible. I would have thought that you could see that clearly and get Jesus' message!

Matt 5: 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 Ye have heard that it was said .. Thou shalt not kill; 22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Can't you see here that Jesus is so obviously showing them how IMPOSSIBLE it is??
He here raised the bar ABOVE the old ten commandments!!

Notice He speaks of- "unless your righteousness" exceeds...etc
We know, because we all can see beyond and after the Cross...these people He was speaking to were still under the old law. We are shown after His death and victory it is no longer a matter of "our righteousness" getting the job of perfection done...BUT HIS!!

As with Abraham it was his FAITH which was imputed to him as righteousness.
Salvation is by grace through faith....never ever ever can be by becoming so righteous that we finally in our own effort reach perfection!! :eek:

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."
It is all in and by Him...the Institutions are full of people who have driven themselves crazy by "trying" to be perfect.
I know..I have visited those poor people in those places. Sadly I have not managed to convince them the God sent Jesus to take our place and that "He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification." Rom 4
ByGrace,

I would like to say this regarding your above post.

Here you say that striving for perfection is an impossibility.
The reaching of perfection may be impossible in this world,
but why is the effort or striving impossible?
So now you say THIS.

On other threads you've stated that Jesus lives in us and so we can do anything through His strength.

Which is it?

Are you saying that those of us who strive to be as God would want us to be are not saved or do not have the Holy Spirit as our paraclete?
Do only those who say it is impossible have the Holy Spirit?

Please clarify.
There's a discrepancy here.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So you were saved just as I, by faith. Belief. Not easy or hard, just belief. Which means to me that the term 'easy believism' is not a correct term. You speak of the cost of sanctification. I agree. But to what extent is the cost? I am thinking you will say, If you fail in your sanctification, it will cost you that which was obtained by faith. If that is the case, then a work, or lack of work, negated your faith. Does that not make it a salvation by works and not faith. If you are saying your works involved in your sanctification do not affect your position as being born-again, then both your and my beliefs are the same.
How does one fail in sanctification?
If you remain in Christ, abide in Christ, sanctification is a life-long process. It just means doing what God would want of you. It could be anything. Are we always going to listen? No. That would be perfection. It's an ON-GOING process. We won't see the results till Glorification, at the end of life when our glorified bodies are given.

I say that our works DO have an effect in our walk with God.
James said that faith without works is dead.
If we don't work for God, we have a dead faith, a faith that is not active, a faith that is dead is a faith that does not exist.

Instead, we have a faith that is alive.
Galatians 2:19
Romans 7 and 8

We are dead to the law because it has lost its power over us.
Jesus had killed the law for us, it can no longer condemn us if we are trusting in Jesus.

This does not mean that we are not to obey the law.
He did not abolish the law.
We are under the N.C. now, and under grace.
We WANT to obey the law.
THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE.

The Law FORCED us to be slaves to it.
Grace forces us to be FRIENDS of God and not slaves.
As friends we want to please Him, but please Him we must.

We are discussing this because it is interesting and important, I think. I believe those who use and accuse with this term 'easy believism' are saying we are not saved by faith, we are saved by works. But they will not admit that. The same with 'grace'. I listen to believers speak of grace and as I listen I see what they are calling grace is not grace but law. But they will not admit to that. They see it as grace.

Stranger

Let's say that we are saved by grace.
But works must follow as a sign of that grace.
If we do not wish to do works, what does that say about us?
Perhaps it says we are not really saved??

Reactions: KBCid

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I forgot to post the definition of Fulfill...
I hope you read it.
What Does It Mean to "Fulfill the Law"?
A difficult passage for many Christians is Jesus' saying in Matthew 5:17 that he "came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it."

I want to say I LOVE YOU but in truth I love the God showing through you.
It was and is my intent to find those who are part of Christ's body as I was directed by the spirit and it gives me an immense amount of joy when I see anyone giving a fullness to God's intent.

Reactions: GodsGrace

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank You !!!
As I have expressed before, I spent 7+ years in the O T! I Could not Quote 5 of the OT laws, But My Savior and Paul did keep these, + the Feasts and the Sabbath, which My Wife and I have Learned about. So we keep the Feasts and the Sabbath as best we can according to what we understand! OUR SAVIOR is our best example!
Colossians 2-16 So let no one Judge you in food or drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or Sabbath's. verse 17- Which are a Shadow of things to come, But the Body of Christ! Remember that the Feasts were Gods Feasts, not Jewish Feasts, Just as God said that the Sabbath was made for man, not man For the Sabbath! also these Feasts were Gods Feasts which were commanded to be Kept for Ever, throughout your Generations.

More Truth? yes pls.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you remain in Christ, abide in Christ, sanctification is a life-long process. It just means doing what God would want of you. It could be anything. Are we always going to listen? No. That would be perfection. It's an ON-GOING process. We won't see the results till Glorification, at the end of life when our glorified bodies are given.

If we don't work for God, we have a dead faith, a faith that is not active, a faith that is dead is a faith that does not exist.

Romans 7 and 8

Jesus had killed the law for us, it can no longer condemn us if we are trusting in Jesus.

We WANT to obey the law.
THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE.

You had said in post #539 that belief was the first which was justification. The second was sanctification which spoke to one being a disciple and producing good works. (That was my paraphrase) So, I say, one can fail in sanctification by not producing good works, or get caught up in the world, even unbelief. Here there is no difference in your faith and mine. We believed and were justified. Which means there is no 'easy believism'. It is when you say the works of the second, our sanctification, can negate our faith in being justified, that we disagree. Then you perceive my faith as 'easy believism'.

I agree that our fruit and works do have an affect on our sanctification. Our walk with God.

Ones faith may be dead at one point. That doesn't mean one didn't exercise believing faith at an earlier time. And that believing faith is what made them born-again and secured eternal life. The perfect example is (Heb. 3:7-19) These were unbelieving believers.

If the Law has no power over us and can no longer condemn us, because of the work Christ did, then how can there be any approval for keeping it. If it can't condemn, then neither can it approve. If it can't approve or condemn, there is no value whatsoever in keeping it.

I don't see anywhere where we should want to obey the Law as Christians. I see where we naturally will be obedient at times to the things in the law but only as a result of our walk in the Spirit. Not as being obedient to the law. What is the difference? Our intent. Whether you obey the Law under the Old Covenant or New, obedience to the Law establishes your righteousness. (Philippians 3:9) Not the righteousness by faith.

Some believers will not have any works to present. (1 Cor. 3:13-15) But they will be saved.

Stranger

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Stranger Great post...Very concise.......I seem to recall a verse where Jesus is quoted as saying :" Anyone who gives even a cup of water to one of these little ones, will by no means lose their reward". Seems to me, that as long as we hold onto Jesus and receive His Righteousness, there are no ways for us to get a 'Fail' at the end of it....But of course, first one must believe....

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Stranger Great post...Very concise.......I seem to recall a verse where Jesus is quoted as saying :" Anyone who gives even a cup of water to one of these little ones, will by no means lose their reward". Seems to me, that as long as we hold onto Jesus and receive His Righteousness, there are no ways for us to get a 'Fail' at the end of it....But of course, first one must believe....

Appreciate your encouraging words. The verse you speak of is located in (Mark 9:41) or (Matt. 10:42).

I don't know if you have a concordance or not, but if not, you should get one. I use mine constantly and have for many years.

'Strong's Exhaustive Concordance' is very good.

Stranger

Reactions: pia and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Looks like works are part of faith.
Giving a glass of water to someone is a work.
Also, you should find out what the reward is.
You sound a bit confused.
Because one must believe first in order to understand.
Adios.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Appreciate your encouraging words. The verse you speak of is located in (Mark 9:41) or (Matt. 10:42).

I don't know if you have a concordance or not, but if not, you should get one. I use mine constantly and have for many years.

Stranger
How could you thank her when she speaks against everything you've posted??
No answer really wanted.
Just pointing something out.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could you thank her when she speaks against everything you've posted??
No answer really wanted.
Just pointing something out.

I understood it as a compliment. Seems appropriate.

Is 'adios' Italian also. I remember you signed off once using 'lata'. What does that mean?

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi there...I am not sure that I have ever posted to you..have I ?ha!

Anyway...You quoted "by no means lose their reward"...that to me sound much the same as " not blotting out their name from The Book of Life.."
Except one is speaking about salvation..and one is speaking about rewards..two very different things.
You know I am a dyed in the wool, once saved...you are saved...one cannot be an un-son. But my eye fell upon "not lose their reward.." ..which speaks of already having it...for you cannot lose something that you never had!!
Which takes me again to the verses of Jesus " I go to prepare a place for you.."
= Our Reward is The Place Jesus Has Prepared for each one of us.
And Paul spends much time in encouraging us to fight the good fight of faith... and to run the race.....and "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." I strongly believe that The Mark that we press toward, is "The Place", Jesus has gone to prepare for each one of us..
.. which as Jesus points out..can be lost. It is the only thing which can be lost...salvation cannot. We will all 'be there' but at which position we will not know until the day..and the fire tests if it is gold , silver and precious stones ( lasting works) or the wood hay and stubble works ( dead works...of which we have had endless discussions on this site. :D )
Also, you said "
Seems to me, that as long as we hold onto Jesus and receive His Righteousness,...." I just want to emphasis here and underline that we have received His righteousness...it isn't something we need to do...it is something we just need to believe. Abide, and believe.
But that is probably what you were saying...it's just that I am saying it better!! :D :D :)

Reactions: pia and FHII

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Romans 7 and 8

We WANT to obey the law.
THIS IS THE DIFFERENCE.

A life long process?????, Not so.
1 Cor 6:11
11 And such """"were""" some of you. But you """WERE""" washed, but you """WERE"""" sanctified, but you """"WERE"""" justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
NKJV

And it was not by a person's works.

Reactions: Armadillo and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

11 And such """"were""" some of you. But you """WERE""" washed, but you """WERE"""" sanctified, but you """"WERE"""" justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
NKJV

hmm, pretty interesting take there, in light of the fact that a list of dead works were just expounded upon as being exclusive of entering the kingdom...

9Don’t you know that the unrighteous will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be deceived: No sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, or anyone practicing homosexuality,
10no thieves,greedy people, drunkards, verbally abusive people, or swindlers will inherit God’s kingdom.
11And some of you used to be like this. But you were washed, you were •sanctified, you were •justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

even if i still agree with you on a certain level, that works do not save. It might be perceived that v11 is being generous in a sense, as it goes without saying that many who consider themselves "saved" are also still "like this," at least at times.

Even if those being spoken to at that moment possibly were not any longer "like this," being as how declaring for Christianity at that time made one a pariah, not like today.

Last edited:

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Stranger
Thank you...Yeah I would be completely lost in all the pages, without my Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, it is so very helpful......I also have a great Bible Dictionary, which has a lot of the historical things, as well as the Hebrew traditions and such.......Can bring quite a bit of understanding also, once we know what they were referring to, back then.....
Thanks for the verses too....Hadn't realized He says it twice and in two ways. Good to see

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But that is probably what you were saying...it's just that I am saying it better!!
I have to agree :) Yes I meant that too......Something which people seem to try to get, rather than just receive as the gift it is meant to be ( His Righteousness)....so many precious gifts He has given us, Salvation obviously being the one in sharp focus, but we shouldn't neglect the others.
Great post.......Bless you always :)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I understood it as a compliment. Seems appropriate.

Is 'adios' Italian also. I remember you signed off once using 'lata'. What does that mean?

Stranger
Whateva.
Lata is Later in New Yorkese.
Adios is Spanish for good bye.
Addio is Italian for good bye.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I have to agree :) Yes I meant that too......Something which people seem to try to get, rather than just receive as the gift it is meant to be ( His Righteousness)....so many precious gifts He has given us, Salvation obviously being the one in sharp focus, but we shouldn't neglect the others.
Great post.......Bless you always :)
Well Pia,
My last words to you.

To get the gift,
you have to deserve the gift.

God doesn't just give the "gift" (which is salvation, BTW) to just anybody. Starting right back at Genesis.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

NKJV

I understand H. Richard.
God must do it all for you.
YOU have no part at all in getting yourself the prize, or reward, which is heaven BTW.

Regarding Sanctification:
You posted
1 Corinthians 6:11

Now compare that to:
1 Thessalonians 4:3
2 Thessalonians 2:13

In fact 2 Thessalonians says that we are chosen from the beginning of time for SALVATION THROUGH SANCIFICATION, by the spirit and FAITH IN THE TRUTH.

Looks like you have a conflict there.
How to resolve?

You'll figure that out on your own.
Maybe if you study a little theology you might find out WHY there is this "discrepancy".

For now and for those reading along, I'll just post a couple of explanations of what SANCTIFICATION IS. If you notice, there are two different words for what we're talking about.
One is JUSTIFICATION
One is SANCTIFICATION

If they both mean exactly the same, WHY do we need two DIFFERENT words??? Good question, isn't it?

What is Sanctification?

The definition, which fits nicely with what the Bible teaches, is that it means to be set apart for holy use. It also means to make holy or to purify. This is exactly the goal of every believer in Christ. Like the Old Testament Temple vessels used by the priest, these were to be used for holy purposes and to be pure and to glorify God. Today, Christians have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and our bodies are the temple of God in which dwells the Holy Spirit and our bodies are vessels to be used for a holy or pure purpose for the glory of God. The origin of this word is from the Latin “sanctus” which means holy or to consecrate. The suffix of “tion” in sanctification is the ongoing or continuing process of this becoming holy. It is a progressive holiness and growing in purity and it takes a lifetime. We are being perfected and this perfection takes time and patience. I thank God that He is patient with me in this process. We can not see much of our own progress until we start looking back at last year, and the year before and then ten years ago. There should be noticeable differences in a person’s life that are tangible evidences of growth.

Part I

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Part II

What Is Sanctification?
Scripturally, the word sanctification has three meanings: First, separation; second, dedication; third, spiritfilling. Webster’s definition of it is as follows: “1. Sanctification is the act of God’s grace by which the affections of man are purified, or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love of God; also, the state of being thus purified or sanctified. 2. The act of consecrating, or setting apart for a sacred purpose.” “Sanctifier. One who sanctifies or makes holy; specifically, the Holy Ghost.” “Sanctify. 1. To set apart to a holy or religious use. 2. To make holy or free from sin; to cleanse from moral corruption or pollution; to make holy by detaching the affections from the world and its defilements and exalting them to a supreme love of God.” Scripturally and practically, the terms sanctification, holiness, purity, and perfection are synonymous. Holiness. Separation: setting apart; sacredness. Purity. Cleanness; chastity. Perfection. Completeness; wholeness. All this is comprehended in one word, sanctification.

It is evident that this term signifies much more in the New Testament sense than it does in the Old Testament. In the Old Testament it meant but a dedication, a setting apart to a holy use, as in the example of the sanctification of the tabernacle and its contents—the altar and laver, and all the vessels belonging thereto—and Aaron and his sons and their garments (Leviticus 8:10-30). In this dispensation of grace it means infinitely more; for in that dispensation it was but an outward and ceremonial work, but now it is an inwrought work, permeating and purifying the affections through and through by the cleansing blood and heavenly fire, and filling the dedicated temple, our body, with the Holy Ghost, as in the example of the early church at Pentecost.

The justified believer must meet the conditions of complete separation and exclusive dedication of himself to God, in a sense that no guilty sinner can do. This is the believer’s part. He must purify himself. “Every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.”* (1 John 3:3) “Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.”* (2 Corinthians 7:1) This brings the believer into the condition where God can fulfill His part. He can now take exclusive possession of the dedicated temple, and sanctify it. “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly.”* (l Thessalonians 5:23) “And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost.”* (Acts 2:4) This brings the believer into a more perfect spiritual relationship with God than when simply justified.

Sanctification a Bible Doctrine
“And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.”* (Acts 20:32)

“To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.”* (Acts 26:18)

“Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth… And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word.”* (John 17:17,19-20)

“If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master’s use, and prepared unto every good work.”* (2 Timothy 2:21)

“That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour.”* (l Thessalonians 4:4)

God Our Sanctifier
“And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.”* (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

“Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called.”* (Jude 1:1)

Sanctified in Christ
“Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus…. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.”* (1 Cor. 1:2,30)

Sanctified through the Truth
“Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth.”* (John 17:17)

“That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word.”* (Eph. 5:26)

By the Blood of Jesus
“Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.”* (Hebrews 13:12) “For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”* (Hebrews 9:13-14) “By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all…. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.”* (Hebrews 10:10, 14)

“Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?”* (Heb. 10:29)

And the Holy Spirit
“That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.”* (Romans 15:16)

“But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth.”* (2 Thess. 2:13)

These and many other texts of scripture teach us that sanctification is a Bible doctrine. There is but one reason why some people cannot see it in the Bible—their eyes are blinded. All who are willing to yield themselves to God and His word, will soon be taught this blessed truth. Jesus prayed that His disciples might become sanctified. They had not yet come into this experience. Jesus knew that they needed it. It was His desire for their highest good. They were not able to go forth and cope with the powers of sin. They had been under the teaching of the Master and in His presence, and therefore were protected by Him from the enemy but now he was soon to be taken from them, and He knew that they must be “endued with power from on high.”* (Luke 24:49) Therefore He implored the Father for the sanctification of the eleven; and not “for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word.”* (John 17:20) This reaches down through the entire gospel dispensation. It is His blessed will that we all shall be sanctified. As justified believers, we each are as needy of this grace as were the eleven disciples. It is indispensible for our spiritual welfare.

Some are disposed to look upon this matter as optional with them; but such is a mistake. The time comes in the experience of every true believer when the Holy Spirit brings before him the conditions of a definite and absolute consecration. A refusal to meet these conditions, done ignorantly, will bring a cloud over our experience of justification and, eventually, if persisted in wilfully, will bring us into God’s utter disapproval. “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”* (James 4:17)