Was Jesus Eternally Tormented?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your correction in understanding is found in the Hebrew word "nephesh" (soul).

Also, Oxygen was discovered in England by Joseph Priestley in 1774.
Therefore, for 1774 years, since Christ at least, even "church-ianity" didn't know what "the breath of life" was.

Having therefore an untruth from the beginning of their understanding, they have fabricated some really huge whoppers of misunderstanding of what "a living soul" is, etc.
Sorry but I dont think you should be interpreting scripture from a science POV.
Science will tell obvious lies and the lies keep changing as new science ideas and theories get published.
You are not getting into heaven based on anything science says.

Science would say scriptures are lies, or they just wont bother to even look at them
1 John 5:19
We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

So don't listen to what the world says.
1 John 4
4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: The Learner

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And who is they?? who are telling the whopper lies... most all believers since before 1774 before oxygen was discovered?
You know that modern Christianity of the end times departs from the faith, it is called the great apostasy for a good reason.
So then who is going to be following and believing in the lie. Many people of the last days.

• Haha

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, WHEN did you receive eternal life/existence?
When I believed in Jesus and confessed that He is my Savior and I was a sinner.

Romans 10
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry but I dont think you should be interpreting scripture from a science POV.
Science will tell obvious lies and the lies keep changing as new science ideas and theories get published.
You are not getting into heaven based on anything science says.

Science would say scriptures are lies, or they just wont bother to even look at them
1 John 5:19
We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

So don't listen to what the world says.
1 John 4
4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
Did you go to the words "soul" and "the breath of life" in the Bible yet, by the scriptures which I had previously stated?
Here, try this:
Gen. 2:7, 6:17, 7:15,22.

Genesis 2:7
[7]And the LORD H3068 God H430 formed H3335 man H120 of the dust H6083 of H4480 the ground, H127 and breathed H5301 into his nostrils H639 the breath H5397 of life; H2416 and man H120 became a living H2416 soul. H5315.

Soul-
Strong's Number - H5315

Hebrew: נפשׁ
Transliteration: nephesh
Pronunciation: neh'-fesh
Definition: From H5314; properly a breathing {creature} that {is} animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a {literal} accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental): - {any} {appetite} {beast} {body} {breath} {creature} X dead ({-ly}) {desire} X [dis-] {contented} X {fish} {ghost} + {greedy} {he} heart ({-y}) ({hath} X jeopardy of) life (X in {jeopardy}) {lust} {man} {me} {mind} {mortality} {one} {own} {person} {pleasure} ({her-} {him-} {my-} thy-) {self} them (your) {-selves} + {slay} {soul} + {tablet} {they} {thing} (X she) {will} X would have it.
KJV Usage: soul (475x), life (117x), person (29x), mind (15x), heart (15x), creature (9x), body (8x), himself (8x), yourselves (6x), dead (5x), will (4x), desire (4x), man (3x), themselves (3x), any (3x), appetite (2x), misc (47x).
Occurs: 753
In verses: 683

Genesis 6:17
[17]And, behold, H2009 I, H589 even I, do bring H935 a flood H3999 of waters H4325 upon the earth, H776 to destroy H7843 all flesh, H1320 wherein is the breath H7307 of life, H2416 from under H8478 heaven; H8064 and every thing H3605 that is in the earth H776 shall die. H1478

Genesis 7:15,22
[15]And they went in H935 unto Noah H5146 into the ark, H8392 two H8147 and two H8147 of all flesh, H1320 wherein H834 is the breath H7307 of life. H2416.

[22]All in whose nostrils H639 was the breath H7307 of H5397 life, H2416 of all that was in the dry H2724 land, died. H4191

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did you go to the words "soul" and "the breath of life" in the Bible yet, by the scriptures which I had previously stated?
Here, try this:
Gen. 2:7, 6:17, 7:15,22.

Genesis 2:7
[7]And the LORD H3068 God H430 formed H3335 man H120 of the dust H6083 of H4480 the ground, H127 and breathed H5301 into his nostrils H639 the breath H5397 of life; H2416 and man H120 became a living H2416 soul. H5315.

Soul-
Strong's Number - H5315

Hebrew: נפשׁ
Transliteration: nephesh
Pronunciation: neh'-fesh
Definition: From H5314; properly a breathing {creature} that {is} animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a {literal} accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental): - {any} {appetite} {beast} {body} {breath} {creature} X dead ({-ly}) {desire} X [dis-] {contented} X {fish} {ghost} + {greedy} {he} heart ({-y}) ({hath} X jeopardy of) life (X in {jeopardy}) {lust} {man} {me} {mind} {mortality} {one} {own} {person} {pleasure} ({her-} {him-} {my-} thy-) {self} them (your) {-selves} + {slay} {soul} + {tablet} {they} {thing} (X she) {will} X would have it.
KJV Usage: soul (475x), life (117x), person (29x), mind (15x), heart (15x), creature (9x), body (8x), himself (8x), yourselves (6x), dead (5x), will (4x), desire (4x), man (3x), themselves (3x), any (3x), appetite (2x), misc (47x).
Occurs: 753
In verses: 683

Genesis 6:17
[17]And, behold, H2009 I, H589 even I, do bring H935 a flood H3999 of waters H4325 upon the earth, H776 to destroy H7843 all flesh, H1320 wherein is the breath H7307 of life, H2416 from under H8478 heaven; H8064 and every thing H3605 that is in the earth H776 shall die. H1478

Genesis 7:15,22
[15]And they went in H935 unto Noah H5146 into the ark, H8392 two H8147 and two H8147 of all flesh, H1320 wherein H834 is the breath H7307 of life. H2416.

[22]All in whose nostrils H639 was the breath H7307 of H5397 life, H2416 of all that was in the dry H2724 land, died. H4191
I think I figured out your doctrine. You consider when a man dies, he either ceases or sleeps and only becomes conscious again at the resurrection, am I right? When they die, they are really dead and gone.

Do not quote Ecclesiastes to me as we have a much better covenant and better promises today, with a better revelation in the New Covenant established by Christ.

You tell me, when do you say people have eternal life?

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I believed in Jesus and confessed that He is my Savior and I was a sinner.

Romans 10
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
So then, prior to being born again of God's Holy Spirit, you never had any eternal existence of any kind.

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I figured out your doctrine. You consider when a man dies, he either ceases or sleeps and only becomes conscious again at the resurrection, am I right? When they die, they are really dead and gone.

Do not quote Ecclesiastes to me as we have a much better covenant and better promises today, with a better revelation in the New Covenant established by Christ.

You tell me, when do you say people have eternal life?
Here is the difference between those who are born again by the Spirit of Christ, and those who physically die unsaved, being dead in their sins.
KJV John 3:18, 1 John 5:12-13, Rom. 8:8-9

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
For the hundredth time, there is no day and night in forever and ever, aka eternity after Jesus returns.
Edit: day and night being in eternity after Jesus returns is a dichotomy.
Think on this about the demons, who can't have salvation of any kind:
Mat. 8:28-29
[29] And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
> Their is truth in what the demons said. They really don't have anything to with Jesus. However, they did reveal that their own appointment with torment was well known among them.
Therefore, they couldn't figure why Jesus showed up on earth before the time of their doom. But,....we who are saved by Him, do know why!

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, prior to being born again of God's Holy Spirit, you never had any eternal existence of any kind.
I was DEAD in my sins. But I was quite alive and heading for "everlasting fire", quoting Jesus!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the hundredth time, there is no day and night in forever and ever, aka eternity after Jesus returns.
Edit: day and night being in eternity after Jesus returns is a dichotomy.
Think on this about the demons, who can't have salvation of any kind:
Mat. 8:28-29
[29] And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
> Their is truth in what the demons said. They really don't have anything to with Jesus. However, they did reveal that their own appointment with torment was well known among them.
Therefore, they couldn't figure why Jesus showed up on earth before the time of their doom. But,....we who are saved by Him, do know why!
Hell will be filled with people who don't believe in Hell.

Matthew 5 Whoever says, 'You fool!' shall be in danger of hell fire.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a distinct difference between soul and spirit in scripture.
I been telling the Immortal Soul crowd that for years.
Body and soul both destroyed in hell, but the spirit is not destroyed in hell. if it was Jesus would have said spirit, soul, body destroyed.
I'm right there with you on this.
Man also has a spirit as well as a soul
Boom! there it is...the fatal Immortal Soul crowd mistake. Please continue reading:

Man doesn't "HAVE" a soul...man IS a soul, as is plainly taught in Genesis 2:7 KJV.

WELL,THEN, PHONEMAN777, WHAT ABOUT 1 THESSALONIANS 5:23?

A Soul is the "whole" which is the sum of its "parts", the Body and the Spirit. Paul's simply saying his desire is that both components and whole are kept blameless...no different than if a Democrat mother walking out the door on her way to work says to her adult, blue-haired, unemployed children, "I want this place spotless by the time I get home, the kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms - the whole entire house".
God saves us He saves both soul and spirit. The unsaved, their body and soul perish but their spirit does not.
Other than the part about "God saves the spirit", I totally agree, because since the "Spirit" goes forth from God to give life and returns to God just as It was when it left, it's in no need of "saving"...the "Soul" which is comprised of the Body and Spirit is what needs saving.

The Spirit of a creature always returns to God at death, whether a saint, sinner, or beast, because the "Spirit" is the "life giving principle" that animates the inanimate and makes Satan so insanely jealous of Jesus - because the Spirit "shall return to the God Who gave it" and yet Stephen said, "LORD JESUS receive my Spirit" (because Jesus is the God Who gives all creatures His life-giving Spirit).

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A typical historical understanding is how I know things are what they are.
I do not diverge off the path into new understandings of scripture according to science of human wisdom, which scripturally is from below, not from heaven. Moses the unlearned as you call him, wrote much scripture, but you are giving it little substance of reality, maybe you are corrupted in your understanding.
If the disciples didn't diverge off the path of what they were told about what the coming of Messiah would be like, they'd have been right there with the crowd yelling, "Crucify Him!"

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was DEAD in my sins. But I was quite alive and heading for "everlasting fire", quoting Jesus!
Yes, prior to your salvation, you were not everlasting, but the flaming, all consuming fire of the LORD is what is everlasting and unquenchable. His eternal presence shall burn up everything that shall burn. This whole planet will be a lake of fire and burning lava, and will be no more.
Luke 17
[28] Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
[29] But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
[30] Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

2 Peter 3
[10] But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens (solar system, galaxies, etc.) shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
[11] Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
[12] Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
[13] Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, [nothing remodeled or made over] wherein dwelleth [God's] righteousness.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It'll be full of people who did believe hell is a place where the wicked will be punished but chose, to be wicked anyway.

"They say there's a heaven for those who will wait,
"Some say it's better but I say it ain't,
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints,
"The sinners are much more fun...only the good die young."

What a supersonic Satanic philosophy.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus eternally tormented? How Satanic! That sounds like Copeland doctrine!
Well, that's what would have to happen to Him if the penalty of sin is eternal torment...because when the penalty of sin is eternal torment, nothin less than eternal torment will pay it in full.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that's what would have to happen to Him if the penalty of sin is eternal torment...because when the penalty of sin is eternal torment, nothin less than eternal torment will pay it in full.
Jesus NEVER sinned. See the difference between Jesus and us? We are sinners and were heading for "everlasting fire" without our SINLESS Savior Jesus God.

Isaiah 43
11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not "will be filled", hell is already filled, and many of the living bring flowers, even though nobody lives there.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not "will be filled", hell is already filled, and many of the living bring flowers, even though nobody lives there.
Hell isn't full yet. There will be MANY more entering Hell soon!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.