Was Jesus Eternally Tormented?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus NEVER sinned. See the difference between Jesus and us? We are sinners and were heading for "everlasting fire" without our SINLESS Savior Jesus God.

Isaiah 43
11 I, even I, am the LORD, And besides Me there is no savior.
We aren't saved by the sinlessness of Jesus... We are saved by His DEATH.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus sinned He couldn't be our Lamb without blemish or spot. He is the ONLY sinless person who ever lived. Are you saying Jesus was a sinner?

1 Peter 1
18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To all who maintain the spirit/soul (allowing for confusion here) is eternal and doesn't die.

KJV Romans 2:7
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
If we already had it, why seek it?

KJV 1 Corinthians 15:53
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality .
If it's a natural attribute, why do we need to put it on?

KJV 1 Timothy 6:16
16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
If God is the only being in the universe who is naturally immortal, and God is Spirit, then only God is an immortal Spirit.
How come mere mortal men have the audacity to claim they are immortal spirits, an attribute that belongs only to God?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If Jesus sinned He couldn't be our Lamb without blemish or spot. He is the ONLY sinless person who ever lived. Are you saying Jesus was a sinner?

1 Peter 1
18 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
I agree Jesus was/is sinless. But we are not justified by how He lived, we are justified by how He died. We are saved by His blood... Not His life. You're is Catholic doctrine and is why the Catholic view of salvation is so dangerous and heretical. Catholics believe they're are saved by a Treasury of merit, not only merit earned by Jesus, but by Mary and the saints. That my friend is salvation by works, and is completely and utterly unbiblical.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all who maintain the spirit/soul (allowing for confusion here) is eternal and doesn't die.

KJV Romans 2:7
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
If we already had it, why seek it?

KJV 1 Corinthians 15:53
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality .
If it's a natural attribute, why do we need to put it on?

KJV 1 Timothy 6:16
16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.
If God is the only being in the universe who is naturally immortal, and God is Spirit, then only God is an immortal Spirit.
How come mere mortal men have the audacity to claim they are immortal spirits, an attribute that belongs only to God?
You don't believe in "the everlasting fire" that Jesus taught?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen the penalty for sin is death, then the judgment and all will be revealed and the WHY a person deserves eternal torment!
Your blind theology doesn't allow you to see this is an assignment of TWO penalties for sin: death and eternal life in flames of torment.

It's the asinine equivalent of saying a convict who's been sentenced both life in prison at hard labor and death by electric chair will first ride the lightning, then be dropped in Leavenworth to break rocks for the rest of his life.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think I figured out your doctrine. You consider when a man dies, he either ceases or sleeps and only becomes conscious again at the resurrection, am I right? When they die, they are really dead and gone.

Do not quote Ecclesiastes to me as we have a much better covenant and better promises today, with a better revelation in the New Covenant established by Christ.

You tell me, when do you say people have eternal life?

I been telling the Immortal Soul crowd that for years.

I'm right there with you on this.

Boom! there it is...the fatal Immortal Soul crowd mistake. Please continue reading:

Man doesn't "HAVE" a soul...man IS a soul, as is plainly taught in Genesis 2:7 KJV.

WELL,THEN, PHONEMAN777, WHAT ABOUT 1 THESSALONIANS 5:23?

A Soul is the "whole" which is the sum of its "parts", the Body and the Spirit. Paul's simply saying his desire is that both components and whole are kept blameless...no different than if a Democrat mother walking out the door on her way to work says to her adult, blue-haired, unemployed children, "I want this place spotless by the time I get home, the kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms - the whole entire house".

Other than the part about "God saves the spirit", I totally agree, because since the "Spirit" goes forth from God to give life and returns to God just as It was when it left, it's in no need of "saving"...the "Soul" which is comprised of the Body and Spirit is what needs saving.

The Spirit of a creature always returns to God at death, whether a saint, sinner, or beast, because the "Spirit" is the "life giving principle" that animates the inanimate and makes Satan so insanely jealous of Jesus - because the Spirit "shall return to the God Who gave it" and yet Stephen said, "LORD JESUS receive my Spirit" (because Jesus is the God Who gives all creatures His life-giving Spirit).
I ask you, what happens to a Christian when they die?
and what happens to an unbelieving person when they die.
What do you say.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are misunderstanding the time after that of the event of Jesus' physical and glorious return in immortality. "Time will be no more". There will be no more "day and night" in eternity. The book of Revelation is not only symbolic and coded, it is also somewhat parabolic.
Rev. 1
[1] The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:
[2] Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

Luke 8
[10] And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand
Never fails to amaze me how people use uninterpreted parables and prophetic symbolism to "prove" their unBiblical ideas, but ignore literal, plain passages which reveal them as such.

Yes, Solomon says "the dead know not anything", but somehow the "souls under the altar" (which means "martyrs killed for their faith") and "Abel's blood crieth out" (meaning, "a grievous injustice in the sight of a just God demands justice be done") somehow mean the dead are disturbed by the knowledge of their wrongful death.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Never fails to amaze me how people use uninterpreted parables and prophetic symbolism to "prove" their unBiblical ideas, but ignore literal, plain passages which reveal them as such.

Yes, Solomon says "the dead know not anything", but somehow the "souls under the altar" (which means "martyrs killed for their faith") and "Abel's blood crieth out" (meaning, "a grievous injustice in the sight of a just God demands justice be done") somehow mean the dead are disturbed by the knowledge of their wrongful death.
Making up stories again about people who have passed on are you?
For christians, when they depart the body, they go to be with the Lord in Heaven, this is not true about the unsaved wicked who remain eternally separated from God and Heaven.
But you say the spirit of the wicked goes to God in Heaven.

Both of those are very clear teaching in scripture, which you do not acknowledge.

1 Corinthians 5
For we know that if our earthly [a]house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our [b]habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as [c]a guarantee.

6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask you, what happens to a Christian when they die?
and what happens to an unbelieving person when they die.
What do you say.
The BIBLE says at death, the Breath of Life - whether of a saint, sinner, or beast - returns to God just as It was when It left, and the Body - whether of a saint, sinner, or beast - returns to the ground as it was...

Now, if the Soul exists only as a consequence of the union of the Body and Breath of Life, what's the only logical conclusion for what happens to the Soul when this union is broken?

Reactions: Brakelite

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The BIBLE says at death, the Breath of Life - whether of a saint, sinner, or beast - returns to God just as It was when It left, and the Body - whether of a saint, sinner, or beast - returns to the ground as it was...

Now, if the Soul exists only as a consequence of the union of the Body and Breath of Life, what's the only logical conclusion for what happens to the Soul when this union is broken?
I do not agree with the presupposition of your question, as God preserves and saves the souls of His saints, they do not just wink out of existence.

Psalm 97:10
You who love the Lord, hate evil! He preserves the souls of His saints; He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked.

Hebrews 10
39 But we are not of those who draw back to [o]perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.

Jude 1:1

Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:

1 Peter 1
8 whom having not [a]seen you love. Though now you do not see Him, yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9 receiving the end of your faith—the salvation of your souls. 10 Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you,

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

When a believing saved person dies, they are then present with the Lord in heaven. They do not have to await the resurrection, God has created for them a place in Heaven, and that is where they are at their death, They also must then come before the judgement seat of Christ but will NOT be under judgement at the great white throne final judgement.

-------------------------------------------------
1 For we know that if our earthly [a]house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our [b]habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as [c]a guarantee.

6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. 7 For we walk by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

9 Therefore we make it our aim, whether present or absent, to be well pleasing to Him. 10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad. 11 Knowing, therefore, the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are well known to God, and I also trust are well known in your consciences.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hell isn't full yet. There will be MANY more entering Hell soon!
I never said the grave yards are full. The point being, the whole earth is a place for a grave, oceans included.
And so yes, there is plenty of room for more to enter into hell, aka the "pit"**, a GRAVE.

**Job 17:16
[16]They shall go down H3381 to the bars H905 of the pit, H7585 when our rest H5183 together H3162 is in the dust. H6083.

Strong's Number - H7585
Hebrew: שׁאל שׁאול
Transliteration: she'ôl she'ôl
Pronunciation: {sheh-ole'} sheh-ole'
  • Definition: From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranian {retreat }) including its accessories and inmates: - {grave} {hell} pit.
KJV Usage: grave (31x), hell (31x), pit (3x).
Occurs: 65
In verses: 63

As I did say, no one is alive in hell (hades, she'ol, the pit, aka THE GRAVE), even though the living bring flowers.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Making up stories again about people who have passed on are you?
God made 'em up...I just pass 'em along.
For christians, when they depart the body, they go to be with the Lord in Heaven, this is not true about the unsaved wicked who remain eternally separated from God and Heaven.
But you say the spirit of the wicked goes to God in Heaven.
Sigh....the spirit of any creature - saint, sinner, dog, cat, etc., - returns to God at death. The Body returns to the Earth and that creature aka soul aka being ceases to be.
1 Corinthians 5
For we know that if our earthly [a]house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our [b]habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who also has given us the Spirit as [c]a guarantee.

I'm going to exposit this in red and I defy any man to show me where one single word is in error:

1 Corinthians 5:1-8 KJV

[1] For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God,
an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
[if our mortal body dissolves, God will provide an immortal, eternal resurrection body to replace it]

[2] For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
[we who wear the "clothes" of this mortal body are fed up with sorrows and burdens to which it is subject,
and desire to exchange them for the "clothes" of the resurrection body God will provide]

[3] If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
[if we put on the "clothes" of the resurrection body, we won't be found lying naked without a body in the grave still waiting for it ] **** read down to what's written in bold red before commenting on this ***

[4] For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
[while we're wearing the "clothes" of this mortal body, we desire relief from our earthly burdens - but not by resting in peace lying unclothed, naked, without a body in the grave awaiting the resurrection, which is why Solomon said a dead man is better off than a living man - no, we want the relief of heavenly peace with Jesus in the kingdom when we put on the immortal "clothes" of our resurrection body]

Now, if "naked" and "unclothed" refer to "spiritual nakedness" as the Immortal Soul crowd claims, then that makes Paul essentially say, "Hey guys, the burdens of life in this mortal body suck and we want relief, but we don't want to be relieved of them by stripping off the robe of Jesus' righteousness and getting all spiritually lost --- no, we don't want that, we want to be clothed upon with the our resurrection, immortal body." Does that make any flippin sense? No, but that's exactly what the Immortal Soul crowd does with "naked" and "unclothed".

[5] Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
[God worked out eternal life for us through the Gospel and has also given us the "assurance" of being alive in the Spirit]

[6] Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
[therefore, despite being now absent from the Lord in this body, we're always confident in our immortal destiny]

[7] (For we walk by faith, not by sight: )
[unlike the "left behind" folks who God unfairly allows to walk by sight after denying the rest of us that, right?]

[8] We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
[We're confident and desiring preferably to be absent from the body, skip the "naked" and "unclothed" part, and just go on home with Jesus.]

Everyday at quitting time, I'm willing rather to be absent from the parking lot and present in my ez chair, so does that mean I can skip having to fight the rush hour traffic in order to get there?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not agree with the presupposition of your question
And that is why you know nothing about what happens when we die, nor the reward of the wicked.
as God preserves and saves the souls of His saints, they do not just wink out of existence.
Why do you keep arguing that a soul is not what the Bible says it is: the union of the Body and the Breath of Life?

"He that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet will he live". God preserves the Soul by RESURRECTING them, and is why the saints are said to "sleep"...because God's going to wake us up and we'll be alive forevermore, not go wandering around as "disembodied spirits" like pagan ideas made popular by stupid satanic movies like "Ghost".

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His death would mean nothing for our salvation, if He wasn't sinless. If God the Father found in Jesus just ONE sin, even he would've broken the whole Law.
There would've been no perfect and holy sacrifice for the removal of our sin.
John 1
[29] The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you keep arguing that a soul is not what the Bible says it is: the union of the Body and the Breath of Life?
This just keeps going in circles.
Though you have heard my understanding, you have yet to describe what the breath of life is.
1. Are the unsaved dead still alive, being disembodied eternal souls, living in the religious view of what hell is?
2. And if not, what is their existence, and where are they living?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
נֶפֶשׁ nephesh, neh'-fesh; from H5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):—any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, × dead(-ly), desire, × (dis-) contented, × fish, ghost, greedy, he, heart(-y), (hath, × jeopardy of) life (× in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, slay, soul, tablet, they, thing, (× she) will, × would have it.
Brown-Driver-Briggs Lexicon [?](Jump to Scripture Index)
STRONGS H5315:
Abbreviations
נֶ֫פֶשׁ 756 noun feminineGenesis 49:6 (so even Genesis 2:19; Numbers 31:28; 1 Kings 19:2 see AlbrZAW xvi (1896), 42 SS) soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, appetite, emotion, and passion (Ecclesiasticus 3:18; 4:1 (twice in verse); Ecclesiasticus 4:2 (twice in verse); Ecclesiasticus 13:12; Ecclesiasticus 14:11); — נ׳ Genesis 1:20 +; נָ֑פֶשׁ Genesis 37:21 +; suffix נַפְשִׁי Genesis 12:13 +; plural נְפָשׁוֺת Ezekiel 13:18 + 13 times; נְפָשֹׁת Exodus 12:4; Leviticus 27:2; construct נַפְשׁוֺת Genesis 36:6 + 4 times; נַפְשֹׁת Leviticus 21:11; נְפָשִׁים Ezekiel 13:20 (but read חָפְשִׁים, see Co Berthol Toy); suffix נַפְשׁוֺתָם 2 Samuel 23:17 +; נַפְשֹׁתָם Numbers 17:3 +: —
1. = that which breathes, the breathing substance or being = ψυχή, anima, the soul, the inner being of man:
a. distinguished from ׃בָּשָׂר מִנֶּפֶשׁ וְעַד בָּשָׂר Isaiah 10:18; הַנֶּפֶשׁ עִם הַבָּשָׂר Deuteronomy 12:23; from שְׁאֵר Proverbs 11:17; from בֶּטֶן body Psalm 31:10.
b. both the inner נפשׁ and the outer בשׂר are conceived as resting on a common substratum: אַךְ בְּשָׂרוֺ עָלָיו יִכְאָ֑ב וְנַפְשׁוֺ עָלָיו תֶּאֱבָֽל׃ Job 14:22 only his flesh upon him is in pain, and his soul upon him mourneth; compare Psalm 42:5; Psalm 42:7; Psalm 131:2; Job 30:16; Lamentations 3:20 [see עַל 1d], all poetical (compare 6 c).
c. נ׳ departs at death and returns with life: וַיְתִי בְּצֵאת נַפְשָׁהּ כִּי מֵתָה Genesis 35:18 (E) and it came to pass when her soul was going forth (for she died); בַפְשָׁהּ נָֽפְחָה Jeremiah 15:9 she breathed out her soul, compare 1 Kings 17:21, 22; Job 11:20; Job 31:39.
d. often desired that the נפשׁ may be delivered: from She’ôl Psalm 16:10; Psalm 30:4; Psalm 49:16; Psalm 86:13; Psalm 89:49; Proverbs 23:14; from שַׁחַת, the pit of She’ôl, Isaiah 38:17; Job 33:18, 22, 28, 30.
2. The נפשׁ becomes a living being: by God's breathing נשׁמת חיים into the nostrils of its בשׂר; of man Genesis 2:7 (J); by implication of animals also Genesis 2:19 (J); so Psalm 104:29; Psalm 104:30; compare Psalm 66:9; man is נֶפֶשׁ חַיָּה, a living, breathing being Genesis 2:7 (J); elsewhere נפשׁ חיּה always of animals Genesis 1:20, 24, 30; Genesis 9:12, 15, 16 (all P), Ezekiel 47:9; so נפשׁ החיּה Genesis 1:21; Genesis 9:10 (both P), Leviticus 11:10, 46 (H); נפשׁ השׁרצת Leviticus 11:46 (H); נפשׁ כל חי Job 12:10. נפשׁ is frequently used with the verb ׃חיה וחיתה נפשׁ Genesis 12:13; Genesis 19:20 (both J), 1 Kings 20:32 (E), Psalm 119:175; Jeremiah 38:17, 20; חֵי נַפְשְׁךָ 1 Samuel 1:26; 1 Samuel 17:55; 1 Samuel 20:3; 1 Samuel 25:26; 2 Samuel 11:11; 2 Samuel 14:9; 2 Kings 2:2, 4, 6; 2 Kings 4:30 (all J E); compare † יְחַיֶּה נ׳ 1 Kings 20:31 (E), Ezekiel 18:27; Psalm 22:30; also Genesis 19:19; Isaiah 55:3; Proverbs 3:22.
3. The נפשׁ (without חיה noun or verb) is specified:
a. a living being whose life resides in the blood [so in Arabic WeSkizzen iii. 217 G. JacobArab. Dicht. iv. 9 f.] (hence sacrificial use of blood, and its prohibition in other uses; first in D), Deuteronomy 12:23, 24 only be sure that thou eat not the blood, for the blood is the living being (הַדָּם הוּא הַנֶּפֶשׁ); and thou shalt not eat the living being with the flesh (הַנֶּפֶשׁ עִם הַבָּשָׂר); thou shalt pour it upon the earth as water; this is enlarged in H, Leviticus 17:10, 11, 12, 14 and in P Genesis 9:4, 5, compare Jeremiah 2:34.
b. a serious attack upon the life is an attack upon this inner living being 2 Samuel 1:9; Jeremiah 4:10; Jonah 2:6; Psalm 69:2; Psalm 124:4; Psalm 124:5; Job 27:3.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
c. נפשׁ is used for life itself + 171 times, of animals Proverbs 12:10, and of man Genesis 44:30 (J); נפשׁ תחת נפשׁ life for life Exodus 21:23 (E), Leviticus 24:18 (H), 1 Kings 20:39, 42; 2 Kings 10:24; נפשׁנו תחתיכם Joshua 2:14 (J); נפשׁ בנפשׁ Deuteronomy 19:21; בנפשׁ for the life of 2 Samuel 14:7; Jonah 1:14; שׂם נפשׁ בכף put life in one's own hand Judges 12:3; 1 Samuel 19:5; 1 Samuel 28:21; Job 13:14; חרף נפשׁו למות Judges 5:18 risked his life to die; † בנפשׁ at the risk of life Numbers 17:3 (P), 2 Samuel 23:17 = 1 Chronicles 11:19 (twice in verse), 1 Kings 2:23; Proverbs 7:23; Lamentations 5:9; † בקּשׁ נפשׁ Exodus 4:19 (J), 1 Samuel 20:21; 1 Samuel 22:23 (twice in verse); 1 Samuel 23:15; 1 Samuel 25:29; 2 Samuel 4:8; 2 Samuel 16:11; 1 Kings 19:10, 14; Jeremiah 4:30; 11:21; 19:7, 9; 21:7; 22:25; 34:20, 21; 38:16; 44:30 (twice in verse); 46:26; 49:37; Psalm 35:4; 38:13; 40:15; 54:5; 63:10; 70:3; 86:14; Proverbs 29:10; † שׁאל נ׳ 1 Kings 3:11 2 Chronicles 1:11; 1 Kings 19:4 = Jonah 4:8; † הִכָּה נפשׁ smite mortally Genesis 37:21 (J), Deuteronomy 19:6, 11; Jeremiah 40:14, 15; † לקח נ׳ 1 Kings 19:4; Jonah 4:3; Psalm 31:14; Proverbs 1:19; † הִצִּיל נֶפֶשׁ מִמָּוֶת deliver life from death Joshua 2:13; Psalm 33:19; Psalm 56:14; † מלּט נפשׁ 1 Samuel 19:11; 2 Samuel 19:6 (4 times in verse); 1 Kings 1:12 (twice in verse); Jeremiah 48:6; Jeremiah 51:6, 45; Ezekiel 33:5; Amos 2:14, 15; Psalm 89:49; Psalm 116:4; † פדה נ׳ 2 Samuel 4:9; 1 Kings 1:29; Psalm 34:23; Psalm 49:16; Psalm 55:19; Psalm 71:23; † שׁמר נ׳ Psalm 25:20; Psalm 97:10; Job 2:6; Proverbs 13:3; Proverbs 16:17; Proverbs 19:16; Proverbs 22:5.
4. The נפשׁ as the essential of man stands for the man himself:
a. paraphrase for personal pronoun especially in poetry and ornate discourse, + 70 times;
(1) נַפְשִׁי = me: אל תבא נפשׁי Genesis 49:6 let me not enter (poem in J); מות ישׁרים תָּמֹת נ׳ Numbers 23:10 let me die, etc. (poem); תָּמוֺת נַפְשְׁי Judges 16:30 (J); אמרה נפשׁי Lamentations 3:24 I say.
(2) נַפְשְׁךָ = thee: לְאֻמִּים תַּחַת נַפְשֶׁ֑ךָ Isaiah 43:4 peoples instead of thee; אָֽמְרוּ לְנַפְשֵׁךְ Isaiah 51:23.
(3) נַפְשׁוֺ = he: נפשׁו בטוב תלין Psalms he will not dwell in good circumstances.
(4) נַפְשֵׁנוּ = we: נִמְלְטָה כְּצפּוֹר נַפְשֵׁנוּ יוֺקְשִׁים מִפַּח Psalm 124:7.
(5) נַפְשָׁם = they, them: נַפְשָׁם בַּשְּׁבִי הָלָ֑כָה Isaiah 46:2 they are gone into captivity; אוי לנפשׁם Isaiah 3:9.
b. = reflexive, self, + 53 times: אסר על נפשׁ bind oneself Numbers 30:3; 30:5 (twice in verse); 30:6; 30:7; 30:8; 30:9; 30:10; 30:11; 30:12; לְעַנֹּת נ׳ Numbers 30:14 to afflict oneself.

Status
Not open for further replies.