Was wine non-alcoholic in Jesus's time?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There was quite a heated debate in a religious forum a while ago started by people who insisted that the wine of Jesus's time was non-alcoholic.
They insisted that when he turned water into wine and also drank wine at the last supper it must have been non-alcoholic.
What do CB members think?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was quite a heated debate in a religious forum a while ago started by people who insisted that the wine of Jesus's time was non-alcoholic.
They insisted that when he turned water into wine and also drank wine at the last supper it must have been non-alcoholic.
It wouldn't be called "wine" if it was non-alcoholic.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wine was definitely alcoholic as indicated by Lott and his daughters.

However, consuming alcohol in moderation was culturally mandated.

Moderation was practiced by fasting and not consuming alcohol in excess.

Both of which are the opposite of culturally normalized today.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drink some wine, go buy a sword--Jesus was wrong, right? :rolleyes:

Today everyone gets a trophy, there's no right from wrong, no male/female, and we have gun control too, because some people don't know or believe what Jesus said about where evil actually resides: It is not what one is outwardly, but inwardly, that is evil. :(

Alcoholic is not the problem. But hey, rewriting history is okay too, right? :rolleyes:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wine was alcohol based. The fermentation of the grapes demands it. If it weren't so it would become moldy grape juice in time. But if it's wine then it lasts for a long time. It was a process to ensure it would last long after harvest season.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well there is fresh grape juice that is good for you. And people in Jesus time had to drink wine, like Noah got drunk off his vineyard. But I think it dehydrates a person and Jesus talked a lot about quenching thirst. Why is that in the middle east hot sun? Wine is probably not the best drink for them there. And I think that's a no brainer.

My question, how much alcohol content did the wine have in Jesus' time? What percent alcohol? They get up to 40 proof or 20%. I would think if you're about to be stoned to death, I would go for the 40 proof. :p

Reactions: Dropship and marks

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely there was fruits from time to time, unless famines hit the land.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well there is fresh grape juice that is good for you.
Amen! The Bible calls that "New wine." But, just let is sit for SEVEN days, and what do you get?:
The Fermented stuff, for Which The Bible Says:

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

(Proverbs 20:1) Amen?

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus' enemies accused him of being a drunk

34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!

And - if anyone has ever dealt with grapes before, they'll know you need to preserve them or they go bad. The easiest way to preserve grapes is to just mash them all up and put the juice in a barrel. Voila, you have wine. The idea that they hadn't invented alcohol in Jesus' day is just absurd. I would love to know what secret they used to stop the grape juice from fermenting without causing it to rot, because fermentation is a natural process.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! The Bible calls that "New wine." But, just let is sit for SEVEN days, and what do you get?:
The Fermented stuff, for Which The Bible Says:

"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

(Proverbs 20:1) Amen?
Interesting as the same proverbs points out:

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to those who are bitter of heart. 7 Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.

I think that your reference is for not being a drunkard, which is taking alcohol too far. I would go as far as to say that people that support prohibition are evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stan B and Dropship

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was wine non-alcoholic in Jesus's time?​

Answer in complete detail here -

Reactions: Dropship

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well there is fresh grape juice that is good for you. And people in Jesus time had to drink wine, like Noah got drunk off his vineyard. But I think it dehydrates a person and Jesus talked a lot about quenching thirst. Why is that in the middle east hot sun? Wine is probably not the best drink for them there. And I think that's a no brainer.

My question, how much alcohol content did the wine have in Jesus' time? What percent alcohol? They get up to 40 proof or 20%. I would think if you're about to be stoned to death, I would go for the 40 proof. :p
As I understand it, the alcohol content of the wine varied, because it was used for different purposes. The wine with less alcohol was called "sweet wine." Even so, according to Acts 2:13, it was still possible to get drunk on sweet wine.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Last Supper was a Passover meal. My Jewish friends tell me they traditionally use alcoholic wine during the Seder. I fact-checked that against some Jewish sites. Here's one:

Note: Only children and people who will get sick if they drink alcohol are permitted to drink grape juice at seder. You may dilute the seder wine to a minimum of 4% alcohol.

So, our Jewish cousins use alcohol in the Seder now, and traditions being what they are, I strongly suspect Jesus and the Disciples used fermented (alcoholic) wine back then too.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am a wine maker. Grape juice would only be available in the autumn at harvest time. Without refrigeration systems, it would start to ferment within a couple months. The would be no grape juice at Passover time; and as for serving grape juice at a wedding celebration which often lasted for a week with most of the village present. At the Wedding at Cana, Jesus made about 120 gallons of wine. People who say that Jews served grape juice at a wedding are not familiar with Jewish culture; nor God’s culture.

BTW, fine wine is on the menu for The Marriage Supper of the Lamb.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drink some wine, go buy a sword--Jesus was wrong, right? :rolleyes:

Just so I’m not considered against wine. I’ll drink a glass. My question is how do we know in Jesus saying go drink wine that He wasn’t referring to “come all you who thirst, and drink.” What is “wine”?

Same as “drunkard” or “drunk” …as “be not drunk but sober”: is this “be awake” to be literally afraid to sleep in your bed because you might dose off and miss watching …but to be “awake” in “You that sleep, wake up to righteousness” drink could mean full of pride, high on yourself, in the high seat, drunk on power.

A member once mentioned being criticized for using their left hand to write. Whether we use Jesus words against a thing or to support a thing … “Jesus was for wine.” Or “Jesus was against wine.” “Jesus was for guns.” Or “Jesus was against guns.” Because of “go purchase a sword.” ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dropship

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, speaking of the wedding at Cana....

When the headwaiter tasted the water which had become wine, and did not know where it came from (but the servants who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter calls the bridegroom, and says to him, “Every man serves the good wine first, and when the people have become drunk, then he serves the poorer wine; but you have kept the good wine until now.” (John 2:10-11)

I think we know what was served at the wedding feast. :Broadly:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just so I’m not considered against wine. I’ll drink a glass. My question is how do we know in Jesus saying go drink wine that He wasn’t referring to “come all you who thirst, and drink.” What is “wine”?

Same as “drunkard” or “drunk” …as “be not drunk but sober”: is this “be awake” not literally afraid to sleep in your bed because you might dose off and miss watching …but to be “awake” in “You that sleep, wake up to righteousness” drink could mean full of pride, high on yourself, in the high seat, drunk on power.

A member once mentioned being criticized for using their left hand to write. Whether we use Jesus words against a thing or to support a thing … “Jesus was for wine.” Or “Jesus was against wine.” “Jesus was for guns.” Or “Jesus was against guns.” Because of “go purchase a sword.” ?
What of
Matthew 26:27-29 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink you all of it; [28] For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. [29] But I say unto you, I will not drink hereforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Wine? Could be an argument to support that we will all drink wine with Him in the Kingdom.