We are His workmanship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aug 10, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is written Ephesians 2:10 “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”

Here is a simple concept and easy to understand; we did not create or give birth to ourselves the first time, so when we are born again and made a new creature in Christ; this is also done by the works of our Creator.

The Lord told Jeremiah in Jeremiah 18:1-6 “The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying,2 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.
4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.5 Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying,6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.”

Paul expounds on this idea of the Potter having power over the clay here in Romans 9:18-24 “Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?”

So Paul is showing this same concept that we are God’s workmanship afore ordained unto glory. This idea is also shown in our first man Adam, and in our new man in Christ. Notice in both instances they are made to be the way they are. Romans 5:19 “For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.”

Now some who are without understanding try to prop up the false notion that we who speak out against sin and for doing righteousness are preaching “self-righteousness” or works for salvation. But how can this be if we who are born of God also proclaim this truth that we are made free from sin and made righteous by our Maker?

This being made free from sin was foretold to us by Jesus in John 8:32 “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:36 “If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.”
Also confirmed by Paul here in Romans 6:18 “Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.”

Romans 6:22 “But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.”Romans 8:2 “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.”

So did we make ourselves free from sin? Of Course not, just as we are also made by our Maker to be made righteous as shown in Romans 5:19, and here….2 Corinthians 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
1 Corinthians 1:30 “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:”

When you understand that a man can receive nothing except it be given to him from heaven, and that every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, then you can also understand there is no room for boasting on our part. All the glory, praise and honor belongs to our Maker.

Hebrews 13:20-21 “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

1 Peter 5:10-11 “But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. 11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”