We believe that there are no more words of God outside the Bible; how do you think about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you believe me if I were to tell you that when my husband was taken from me, God spoke to me and comforted me? That He whispered to me and strengthened me during those dark days when I took whatever dirty, drudge work I could get, in order to support myself and my kids? That He spoke to me that time that I was mauled by a vicious dog, and nearly died? I'm no one special, WW...just a hack writer from Alabama, struggling to make ends meet.
But God has spoken to me...
Barrd,

I would not discount that at all. I have had similar experiences. I do think God interacts with us in unique ways to affirm his love for us and presence with us as we go through challenges in life. I am not even discounting the idea that He would provide insight as to what to do in particular circumstances. What I am saying is that the Holy Spirit does not supplant the Scritpures (He is the author of them), nor does he provide interpretation or doctrinal clarification of them. That is what I am trying to highlight in response to mjhealth who seems to think we can toss out the Bible or that he has the inspired understanding of what texts mean because he belongs to God.

This is plain to see because he even compares himself and his knowledge with the Apostle Paul in the post above. Apparently he feels like his walk with God is no different than a divinely selected Apostle that was specifically chosen to take the revelation of the Gospel for the Gentiles and received divine insight, visions and understanding of the nature of that Gospel for the Gentiles that had never before been revealed. One who was also inspired to write 2/3 of the NT. So he has all that and no one can disagree with him and be right because he hears the voice of God directly (which apparently is different from the voice of the Scriptures since he regularly misuses texts in order to exalt himself and gut feelings as divine).

Did you get that last part mj? He chooses the weak and poor so that "no flesh can glory in his presence." God's grace is about creating humble, gracious, encouraging and selfless believers. Comparing ones self to the Apostle Paul is kind of the opposite of that.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Wormwood said:
Barrd,

I would not discount that at all. I have had similar experiences. I do think God interacts with us in unique ways to affirm his love for us and presence with us as we go through challenges in life. I am not even discounting the idea that He would provide insight as to what to do in particular circumstances. What I am saying is that the Holy Spirit does not supplant the Scritpures (He is the author of them), nor does he provide interpretation or doctrinal clarification of them. That is what I am trying to highlight in response to mjhealth who seems to think we can toss out the Bible or that he has the inspired understanding of what texts mean because he belongs to God.

This is plain to see because he even compares himself and his knowledge with the Apostle Paul in the post above. Apparently he feels like his walk with God is no different than a divinely selected Apostle that was specifically chosen to take the revelation of the Gospel for the Gentiles and received divine insight, visions and understanding of the nature of that Gospel for the Gentiles that had never before been revealed. One who was also inspired to write 2/3 of the NT. So he has all that and no one can disagree with him and be right because he hears the voice of God directly (which apparently is different from the voice of the Scriptures since he regularly misuses texts in order to exalt himself and gut feelings as divine).

Did you get that last part mj? He chooses the weak and poor so that "no flesh can glory in his presence." God's grace is about creating humble, gracious, encouraging and selfless believers. Comparing ones self to the Apostle Paul is kind of the opposite of that.
Mj and I are talking about totally different ideas.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I figured as much. Just wanted to be clear that my contention is not with what you are proposing, but mj. I think his ideas are incredibly dangerous and is the mindset behind most cult leaders.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think his ideas are incredibly dangerous
Yes, just imagine, all christians led by the spirit, learning from God and Jesus, walking in the spirit, all equal, all with teh same spirit, yes it would be dangerous, teh enemy would be shaking in his boots, but now he just laughs at mans indiffernce. he doesnt care if christians go to church, he doesnt care if christians read and study teh bible, he isnt afraid of christians, as long as that is where they remain they are harmless to him, no challenge, its when they seek after Christ, seek to learn and to know God, who seek to be led by the spirit. than they become potential thrreats and he will go out of his way to destroy them. but we have to make a choice of whom or what we will follow.

In all His Love

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
mjrhealth said:
Yes, just imagine, all christians led by the spirit, learning from God and Jesus, walking in the spirit, all equal, all with teh same spirit, yes it would be dangerous, teh enemy would be shaking in his boots, but now he just laughs at mans indiffernce. he doesnt care if christians go to church, he doesnt care if christians read and study teh bible, he isnt afraid of christians, as long as that is where they remain they are harmless to him, no challenge, its when they seek after Christ, seek to learn and to know God, who seek to be led by the spirit. than they become potential thrreats and he will go out of his way to destroy them. but we have to make a choice of whom or what we will follow.

In all His Love
It was by His Holy Spirit that God inspired the men who wrote the Scriptures.
And it is by that same Holy Spirit that men and women are moved to search those same Scriptures, to find God's truth.

Christians who are truly led by the Spirit will not disregard the Bible. They will love it, and treasure it as God's Word for them.
It is those who have armed themselves with the Sword of Truth who are a danger to that old serpent...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:

In all His Love
This is a false utopia never designed to become a reality until Jesus returns, which is why He left us His written words AND the Holy Spirit. He does care about all this because His written word says He does, so YOU present a god that is NOT the God of the Bible. In that case how can you claim to be saved if you don't know the Jesus of John 20:31?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well i digress, I shall not argue against the wisdom of man, for I shall not avail my self to so great a folly, for it is something that not even God would contend with. And so as you all argue amongest yourselves as to which of you is the greatest among you, on learning and wisdom, and speak of learned things like red herrings, greek lexicons, and hemeuretics, i shall do as Christ did, when He called all men to Himself,. I shall point men to Him, in the hope that they would desire the "better" way for we all have teh same Risen Lord, teh same living God who has given us all te same spirit that none should boast, so that any whom desire to know there lord and saviour may aproach and do as He sopoke of, and go to Him and learn of Him. But that is the choice of men to follow after Him or other men, for not even he will go against the will of men, but as it says,

Luk 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
Luk 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
Luk 7:35 But wisdom is justified of all her children.

All yours

In all His most bountiful Love and grace

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Well i digress, I shall not argue against the wisdom of man, for I shall not avail my self to so great a folly, for it is something that not even God would contend with. And so as you all argue amongest yourselves as to which of you is the greatest among you, on learning and wisdom, and speak of learned things like red herrings, greek lexicons, and hemeuretics, i shall do as Christ did, when He called all men to Himself,. I shall point men to Him, in the hope that they would desire the "better" way for we all have teh same Risen Lord, teh same living God who has given us all te same spirit that none should boast, so that any whom desire to know there lord and saviour may aproach and do as He sopoke of, and go to Him and learn of Him. But that is the choice of men to follow after Him or other men, for not even he will go against the will of men, but as it says,

Luk 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
Luk 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
Luk 7:35 But wisdom is justified of all her children.
Sadly, I find this post nothing more than self serving, self righteous clap trap.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And I would of expected no less from you Stan.But it is so sad that when one argues over scripture and whos right its ok, when one speaks of Jesus God or the Holy spirit one gets torn down.

In all His Love

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
And I would of expected no less from you Stan.But it is so sad that when one argues over scripture and whos right its ok, when one speaks of Jesus God or the Holy spirit one gets torn down.

In all His Love
When one clearly demonstrates their SELF in posts, disguised as piousness, the one get what one deserves. You keep making the same claims against all here who ARE born again believers, but against whom you cannot defend your views, so your resort to what I termed "clap trap".

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes there are those who dont believe God, nor that they can speak and walk with Jesus and so try earn teh righteousnes by learning,

but theer are those who do walk with Jesus, learn from Him, do believe God and are tauyht by the Holy Spirit,

We are all given teh same Spirit of truth, the Same risen Lord and teh same living God, what we so with them or what we allow them to do depends on wether we believe them or not, but as Jesus said,

Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

remember Saul

if you have nothing its because you havnt asked. Your doing not His. I cant "boast" of my learning so ill boast as it says,

Gal_6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

We have nothing that you cant have, the question is, wheter you are willing to forake all to get it.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Yes there are those who dont believe God, nor that they can speak and walk with Jesus and so try earn teh righteousnes by learning,

but theer are those who do walk with Jesus, learn from Him, do believe God and are tauyht by the Holy Spirit,

We are all given teh same Spirit of truth, the Same risen Lord and teh same living God, what we so with them or what we allow them to do depends on wether we believe them or not, but as Jesus said,

Mat 23:12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.
Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

remember Saul

if you have nothing its because you havnt asked. Your doing not His. I cant "boast" of my learning so ill boast as it says,

Gal_6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

We have nothing that you cant have, the question is, wheter you are willing to forake all to get it.
So where does the Holy Spirit teach from? The Bible of course. What do you quote? The Bible of course. So USE the Bible and learn to properly exegete it, rather than fall back on "God told me".

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Bible of course.
Now that is a condition you have laid upon Him not what Jesus spoke of,

The bible says, he will teach us the truth and show us things to come, but how can he show us things to come if as you say, the bible is the end of it all.

I guess to some God is unfathomable to others hes just a book.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Now that is a condition you have laid upon Him not what Jesus spoke of,

The bible says, he will teach us the truth and show us things to come, but how can he show us things to come if as you say, the bible is the end of it all.

I guess to some God is unfathomable to others hes just a book.
It's funny how you use the Bible to say the Bible does not show us God's will? You seem VERY confused? You accept some things the Bible says and not others. Sorry but it is ALL true.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well i digress, as I said not even God can stand against ,mans wisdom. I supoose if God was to try teach you something that was not in teh Bible you would??

Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stan, its useless to try to argue with someone with a Messiah complex. You can't ever be right because God told them you are wrong. Not even God can argue with them, because they fancy their own imaginations to be God.

“The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel, who are prophesying, and say to those who prophesy from their own hearts: ‘Hear the word of the Lord!’ Thus says the Lord God, Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing! Your prophets have been like jackals among ruins, O Israel. You have not gone up into the breaches, or built up a wall for the house of Israel, that it might stand in battle in the day of the Lord. They have seen false visions and lying divinations. They say, ‘Declares the Lord,’ when the Lord has not sent them, and yet they expect him to fulfill their word. Have you not seen a false vision and uttered a lying divination, whenever you have said, ‘Declares the Lord,’ although I have not spoken?” Therefore thus says the Lord God: “Because you have uttered falsehood and seen lying visions, therefore behold, I am against you, declares the Lord God. My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and who give lying divinations. They shall not be in the council of my people, nor be enrolled in the register of the house of Israel, nor shall they enter the land of Israel. And you shall know that I am the Lord God.” (Ezekiel 13:1–9, ESV)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:
Stan, its useless to try to argue with someone with a Messiah complex. You can't ever be right because God told them you are wrong. Not even God can argue with them, because they fancy their own imaginations to be God.
Sometimes he's OK, but mostly he seems to live in a world NOT of this reality? Oh well.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
mjrhealth said:
Well i digress, as I said not even God can stand against ,mans wisdom. I supoose if God was to try teach you something that was not in teh Bible you would??

Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
I really have no further desire to try and get through your lack of coherency. You're now on my ignore list.