We must be born again to be God's kingdom.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
ATP said:
Being baptized in H2O is not a requirement to be saved. We are saved by grace through faith only.
Why did Jesus tell His disciples to baptize new believers?

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Why did Jesus tell His disciples to baptize new believers?

Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

It was a way to teach them how repentance and forgiveness was going to work in the new covenant. The new covenant was not yet in effect so we must consider that in this issue. In the new covenant there is no requirement to be water baptised to be saved.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Nothing in scripture demands water baptism as neccesary for salvation. It is always belief in Christ that saves, and non-belief that condemns.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Baptism or baptize always mean “wash” in Scripture. It really is saying we have to wash our sins away to be right with God, but we can't. We can wash with water all day long and that will not bring us one iota closer except wash the dirt on our skin.

If water baptism is essential for salvation, why did Paul not baptize but only a few?

I Corinthians 1:14-16

14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any
other.

God is the only person who can perform the washing away of sins and He did it through the person of the Lord Jesus:

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour Titus 3:5-6.

The term regeneration actually mean re-genesis, re-beginning, resurrection or restoration. These acts God created is to enable persons of His choosing to begin again where Adam was before he sinned the sin unto death.

Thus, be born again!

To God Be The Glory

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ewq1938 said:
It was a way to teach them how repentance and forgiveness was going to work in the new covenant. The new covenant was not yet in effect so we must consider that in this issue. In the new covenant there is no requirement to be water baptised to be saved.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Nothing in scripture demands water baptism as neccesary for salvation. It is always belief in Christ that saves, and non-belief that condemns.
The verses I quoted were the very end of Matthew...the last instructions to His apostles.
I'm pretty sure that if He meant "until I come to you in Jerusalem" He would have said that.
Instead, look again at what He did say:

"lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

This has been called "The Great Commission"...

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
The verses I quoted were the very end of Matthew...the last instructions to His apostles.
I'm pretty sure that if He meant "until I come to you in Jerusalem" He would have said that.

baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

John3:16

Aug 29, 2015
ATP said:
baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Actually that should read like this...

"baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

If you are insinuating, by highlighting "Holy Ghost", that this refers to spirit baptism rather than water baptism, then just how does a man give someone the Holy Ghost.

Clearly this is water baptism. And, everywhere that an actual baptism took place (except Matthew 28:19 was a commandment, not an actual baptism taking place, Jesus was telling them what to do, not what to repeat verbatim), the apostles baptized in the name of Jesus.

God bless.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
John3:16 said:
Actually that should read like this...

"baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:"

If you are insinuating, by highlighting "Holy Ghost", that this refers to spirit baptism rather than water baptism, then just how does a man give someone the Holy Ghost.

Clearly this is water baptism. And, everywhere that an actual baptism took place (except Matthew 28:19 was a commandment, not an actual baptism taking place, Jesus was telling them what to do, not what to repeat verbatim), the apostles baptized in the name of Jesus.

God bless.
Holy Ghost is Holy Spirit..http://biblehub.com/matthew/28-19.htm

H2O is not a requirement for salvation, only faith.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
If everyone had to be baptized in H2O, then all those Iranian's testimonies about Jesus Christ are false.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Do you realize how many Muslims come to faith every day? Did their family baptize them in H2O? No.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Baptism is not needed for a person to be saved. If it was required, it would be mentioned here because the requirements for salvation are given here.

The Barrd said:

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:

Jesus says all three....
Why highlight just the one?
Why try to cheat yourself out of two thirds of the Godhead?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ewq1938 said:

Baptism is not needed for a person to be saved. If it was required, it would be mentioned here because the requirements for salvation are given here.
I don't see where Paul is contradicting Jesus...but if you think he is, then I would remind you that it is Jesus Who is Lord....not Paul.

Paul would be the first to agree with me on that.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
I don't see where Paul is contradicting Jesus...but if you think he is, then I would remind you that it is Jesus Who is Lord....not Paul.

Paul would be the first to agree with me on that.

Paul never disagrees with Jesus. Jesus never said baptism was required for salvation. At best it was a teaching tool but never was it required.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:

Jesus says all three....
Why highlight just the one?
Why try to cheat yourself out of two thirds of the Godhead?
I should highlight them all, ha. :)

I have a question for ya though..have all the Muslims and Iranians been baptized in H2O, the one's that came to faith.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:
I should highlight them all, ha. :)

I have a question for ya though..have all the Muslims and Iranians been baptized in H2O, the one's that came to faith.
I honestly would not know. I suppose that being publicly baptized in an area like that might be dangerous to their health...so I'm guessing not.

I believe that baptism is the answer of a good conscience to God...it is, as I was taught as a young Episcopalian, "the outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace".
That was many years ago.
I'm not an Episcopalian any more....just a plain ol' blissfully unaffiliated Christian.

I have since concluded that the "outward and visible sign" is not really necessary to the "inward and spiritual grace"....but I do believe that, out of love and respect for Him, we ought, if possible, to follow His example.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ewq1938 said:
Paul never disagrees with Jesus. Jesus never said baptism was required for salvation. At best it was a teaching tool but never was it required.
Jesus, Himself, was baptized. When John questioned Him, He said that it was to "fulfill all righteousness".
Then, much later, He gave His disciples their marching orders:
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Call me silly....but I think we ought to do it His way, if possible.

"

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
but I do believe that, out of love and respect for Him, we ought, if possible, to follow His example.
Right, it's a respectful thing to do, but H2O is not necessary for salvation.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:
Right, it's a respectful thing to do, but H2O is not necessary for salvation.

Well, juice would be sticky, and milk kind of expensive, although I understand it is good for the skin (now where did I read that?)...wine would not be good, although it might attract a lot more potential converts wanting to be baptized...and champagne would tickle and kind of spoil the solemnity of the moment....
So, all things considered, H2O is probably the best choice.

EDIT:
If you're gonna use kool ade, make it the cherry kind...yummmmm....

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
Jesus, Himself, was baptized. When John questioned Him, He said that it was to "fulfill all righteousness".
Then, much later, He gave His disciples their marching orders:
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

Call me silly....but I think we ought to do it His way, if possible.

"
Still doesn't equate to anyone now in the new covenant needing water baptism to be saved. Scripture states belief in Christ is what saves.