• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello GEN2Rev,

Have no statement other than what has been provided before.

Though in the notion of those who died before the Law; Everyone went to Hell, either to the Paradise part or the Prison part of Hell. Jesus went to this Hell, and preached to the spirit in prison from all those who had disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. (1 Peter 3:18-20). They were all judged when Hell gave up it's dead in Revelation 20:13.

Thank you for your comments, and sharing more of your own view.
Jesus did not go to hell and preach there.
This is a total falsehood.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Iconoclast,

Listen: Have been through the bible a few times in my life.

What would you consider about the scripture 1 Peter 3:15-20?
What would you tell someone if they showed you that scripture explaining that Jesus had went to the spirits in prison who disobeyed God long ago?

I believe that She'ol -> Hell as it is also known as ~ Was a place that contained the place talked about Called Paradise, and also Called Prison. All people went here at death, it was know as the covering place of the dead. Jesus went there when he was 3 days and 3 nights under the earth (Matthew 12:40). God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen, not by all the people but by the witnesses God had chosen beforehand, by us who ate and drank with Him after He rose from the dead (Acts 10:39-41).

Though you may be open to whatever view you may take hell being as; just thought would share what has been known to me according to the bible,

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So are you equating one who becomes part of the body of Christ and delivered out of darkness as the same as the children of Israel being led out of Egypt?

That is not exegesis but eisegesis.

It’s more…the spirit of the word.
They were in bondage, you were also in bondage to the world and it’s whackadoo systems.
He freed them from their bondage, you also were freed from your bondage to that whackadoo system.
They were led into the desert to learn the obedience of trust (which only a few did), and you are also led into a place where you are learning the obedience of trust.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what my mantra has become?
I say it many times a day, whenever my brain goes leaping about to and fro to the point where I almost make myself nauseous trying to fit everything together.
“I don’t know!! I only know I trust You!

Reactions: amadeus and GEN2REV

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mathew, when you think about it, everything God kept trying to get them to trust about in the desert was over temporal provision. They kept failing in it. And of the people you know, where do they keep struggling and failing to trust? Isn’t it mostly over temporal provision?

And because they would not trust, they couldn’t enter the promised land. This correlates to: if you won’t trust Me and stop worrying about worldly things (like temporal provision) how will I tell you about heavenly things?

Reactions: GEN2REV

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing some of your insight stunnedbygrace, am thankful you came and commented along with the others here.

Friend in Christ,
Matthew G.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
@Taken
@Wrangler

IF A: the 10 Commandments were only written TO the physical Jews present at Mt. Sinai,
and B: Sin is the breaking of said Commandments per 1 John 3:4,
Then: How was/is it possible for anybody else, ever in the history of the world to this day, to Sin?

AND: How did Jesus die for the sins of THE WORLD if only the group of Jews present at Sinai were given the Law? How did Jesus' death on The Cross accomplish anything at all for the rest of us if none of the rest of us could break a Law we were never given?

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without the law, there is no sin. We understand what sin is when the law is given. Everyone on the planet needs to know what sin is. It is a natural response to resist, rebel and disobey it.
The Chosen Nation was the test-case for the world and they failed to keep it as we all do. We bump up against it, wrestle with it amd are continously tempted to neglect it. This moral code is put in our hearts. Our conscience convicts us, if not the Holy Spirit when we are guilty of sin. Sin dwells in our flesh, we can't get rid of it. And this points to our need for a Savior, One who can keep and fulfill the Law and wash away our sins.
The Law is Holy and remains, it is not abolished, just the requirements transferred to Jesus. The penalty / wages of sin is death. He paid the the price. By His blood, we have been washed - if we believe and put our faith in Him.
And we see that Jesus summed up the whole law as the Law of Love for us to practice - our duty, not that salvation comes by works, just that we are to be like Christ, to LOVE.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You answered that too fast again Ronald. You can't read what I'm typing up and respond before humanly possible to read and comprehend.

You are exposing the real game here.

You have to at least make it APPEAR like you read my post AFTER it was posted. Not before.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You answered that too fast again Ronald. You can't read what I'm typing up and respond before humanly possible to read and comprehend.

You are exposing the real game here.

You have to at least make it APPEAR like you read my post AFTER it was posted. Not before.
Which Ronald are you responding to? I was not responding to your post at all, I was responding to the OP - sorry, I should have directly replied to the OP; sometimes I just reply at the bottom.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Iconoclast,

What would you tell someone if they showed you that scripture explaining that Jesus had went to the spirits in prison who disobeyed God long ago?

I believe that She'ol -> Hell as it is also known as ~ Was a place that contained the place talked about Called Paradise, and also Called Prison. All people went here at death, it was know as the covering place of the dead. Jesus went there when he was 3 days and 3 nights under the earth (Matthew 12:40). God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen, not by all the people but by the witnesses God had chosen beforehand, by us who ate and drank with Him after He rose from the dead (Acts 10:39-41).

Though you may be open to whatever view you may take hell being as; just thought would share what has been known to me according to the bible,

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.
Sheol is Hades, the netherworld, the underworld, which was divided prior to the death of Christ. Hell is the Lake of Fire. It is not the same place or time. Death and Hades are thrown into the Lake of Fire and destroyed, do it can't be the same place or time. I think if it as an event at a particular time 2 Peter 3:10 describes when the first earth and heaven are destroyed in a fervent heat. This is the final judgment when Death, Hades (and all unbelievers awaiting their final judgment), Satan and his demons, first earth and heavens are destroyed by fire. The New Jerusalem is the new replacement, our eternal dwelling place.
As far as 1 Peter 3;19, 20.
This is a mysterious verse, I think the jury is still out on this one.
Jesus took all those in one area of Hades ( those who lived by faith from Abraham to Christ) to Heaven.
A reasonable view of this passage is this:
Peter is telling us that Jesus spoke/preached repeatedly by means of the prophets through the Holy Spirit. How did Jesus speak to the disobedient men and women in the days of the ark? By means of Noah, of course! Noah was the mouthpiece of the Spirit of God.
The Spirit of the Lord was at work in the days of Noah the prophet.
The Lord Jesus preached through Noah to the sinners before the flood came ... (referenced at that time of Cbrjst's death, as prisoners ).

*We cannot think that there are second chances once you are dead to repent - as if a Purgatory exists.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
@Taken
@Wrangler

IF A: the 10 Commandments were only written TO the physical Jews present at Mt. Sinai,

NOT..."IF".... but WHY only to the Jews? (Tribes)?

LAWS are GUIDES...
LAWS can not be FORCED upon one WHO DOES NOT AGREE TO ABIDE.

Historically, is where we FIND, the "DIVISION"... in the OT.
BEFORE the LAW was Established...
Men were DIVIDING "themselves".
* Some men Believed IN a Heavenly God.
* Some men DID NOT Believe IN a Heavenly God.

It WAS the MEN DIVIDED, IN belief, that became...."GODS PEOPLE".... CALLED:
Hebrews, Tribes, Israel.
THEY were given...the LAW, a GUIDE, Acceptable TO GOD, FOR THEM TO FOLLOW.
Historically....WE FIND "THOSE MEN"....
....AGREEING....to OBEY.

EX; 19:[8] And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

and B: Sin is the breaking of said Commandments per 1 John 3:4,
Then: How was/is it possible for anybody else, ever in the history of the world to this day, to Sin?

SIN...IS Transgression OF THE LAW.
"IF" you are a Hebrew, a Tribesman, Israel, and AGREED to OBEY the Law...and then DO NOT OBEY....it is a SIN unto you.

SIN...IS "Rebellion" AGAINST GOD.
It matters NOT, "IF you are a Hebrew, a Tribesman, Israel....OR a Gentile...."....
IF...YOU Rebel, (REJECT BELIEF IN GOD)...
IT IS A SIN AGAINST God....whether or NOT you are UNDER the Law...whether or NOT "you believe it IS A SIN or Not".

It is a matter OF FACT...Not a matter of what a man thinks.

AND: How did Jesus die for the sins of THE WORLD if only the group of Jews present at Sinai were given the Law? How did Jesus' death on The Cross accomplish anything at all for the rest of us if none of the rest of us could break a Law we were never given?

You have to recognize...THE WORKS of God...
THERE "WAS" an EXPRESS "DIVISION" between "Hebrews, Tribes, Israel....AND Gentiles.

The WORKS of God...introduced a "CLOSING" of the DIVISION...BETWEEN...
Hebrews, Tribes, Israel....AND GENTILES.
THAT is called..."A NEW, BETTER Testament".

Heb 7:
[22] By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

THAT "better testament"... EXCLUDES NO MEN.
THAT "better testament"...FORCES NO MAN TO BELIEVE....YET GIVES Every man "Freewill OPTION" to BELIEVE and RECEIVE Gods GIFT of SALVATION....or NOT.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If A: The 10 Commandments were written ONLY to the Jews of old,
and B: the Commandments (The Law) were nailed to the Cross of Christ,
then: why did the Apostle Paul obey the 10 Commandments (The Law) throughout his ministry and life?

Paul speaking:
" ... I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets."
Acts 24:14
Paul speaking:
" ... Neither against the Law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all."
Acts 25:8
After false accusations were leveled at Paul about his conduct, all the elders reassured him when they said:
" ... all may know that those things of which they were informed of you are nothing, but that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the Law."
Acts 21:24

Paul certainly wasn't alive during the time of the giving of the Commandments, and these verses took place well after Jesus' death.

Seems we have a problem here.

Iconoclast

Jul 27, 2021
Hoschton Ga.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Iconoclast,

With love in Christ,
Matthew G.
Jesus did not go to hell.
The text is speaking about those in vs 19,20....
Who refused the word of God through Noah's preaching through the Spirit.
God was longsuffering then but they are now in prison awaiting the judgement.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s more…the spirit of the word.
They were in bondage, you were also in bondage to the world and it’s whackadoo systems.
He freed them from their bondage, you also were freed from your bondage to that whackadoo system.
They were led into the desert to learn the obedience of trust (which only a few did), and you are also led into a place where you are learning the obedience of trust.

Well we can be sent to a spiritual desert to get th eold man baked out of us. However the children of Israel were sent 40 years into teh desert as punishment for not trusting God.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well we can be sent to a spiritual desert to get th eold man baked out of us. However the children of Israel were sent 40 years into teh desert as punishment for not trusting God.

They were sent to the desert for not trusting God? They trusted Him so much that they stepped out under a towering wall of water that could crush them if it fell. And then He led them into the desert to punish them?