• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
@Taken
@Wrangler

IF A: the 10 Commandments were only written TO the physical Jews present at Mt. Sinai,
and B: Sin is the breaking of said Commandments per 1 John 3:4,
Then: How was/is it possible for anybody else, ever in the history of the world to this day, to Sin?

Hello Gen2Rev,

Would like to share with you more of my view, just for reference for anyone who may be reading that "IF" is a condition. Hope you forgive me for it being so long but hope something may be learned from it and it to be useful.

In my view Sin has been paid for. Though this is the question. Can you learn what Sin is from looking at the 10 commandments? If you say yes, then you, me, whoever is reading this knows that the commandments have been broken. In what way is there a person can reconcile this? God through Christ Jesus reconciled everyone in the world to himself and Christ on the cross paid for the sins of all of mankind.

Maybe the question begins to suggest: Has sin been truly been paid for all people in the world now today because of the Lord Jesus Christ in what He had done for the world; also God who loved the world to send His son to die on the cross. Though He rose His son from the dead on the third day.

Did Jesus Christ really pay for all people their sin? I believe it to be true. Can you learn about Sin by looking at the 10 commandments? Yes you can. Disbelief in God is probably the biggest broken commandment because there was a point in my life not know who God really was or the Lord Jesus Christ either.

So if you break the commandment does that make you a sinner?

If that breaking of the commandment makes you a sinner does that make you a sinner saved by grace? It does if you are a believer and have faith and in Jesus Christ. All human beings all of us are deemed sinners; though the price of sin has been paid for sin for all mankind, and God's wrath against sin was appeased because of the sacrifice of Christ; who was buried, and risen again by God.

Does a person who becomes a Christian who may seek God change in their life? Yes by the hands of God Himself and the person having their own personal relationship with God knowing that the holy spirit lives with-in them. God by the spirit will communicate to another person who is a believer having faith in Jesus.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Matthew G.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were sent to the desert for not trusting God? They trusted Him so much that they stepped out under a towering wall of water that could crush them if it fell. And then He led them into the desert to punish them?

Are you talking about the 40 years of wandering in the desert? for that was a punishment for their rebellion at Kadesh-Barnea when the 12 spies came back and reported and 10 spies cowarded out and the bulk of the people wanted ot gfo back to Egypt. god said not one except Joshua would enter the promised land because of that rebellion.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev,

Would like to share with you more of my view, just for reference for anyone who may be reading that "IF" is a condition. Hope you forgive me for it being so long but hope something may be learned from it and it to be useful.

In my view Sin has been paid for. Though this is the question. Can you learn what Sin is from looking at the 10 commandments? If you say yes, then you, me, whoever is reading this knows that the commandments have been broken. In what way is there a person can reconcile this? God through Christ Jesus reconciled everyone in the world to himself and Christ on the cross paid for the sins of all of mankind.

Maybe the question begins to suggest: Has sin been truly been paid for all people in the world now today because of the Lord Jesus Christ in what He had done for the world; also God who loved the world to send His son to die on the cross. Though He rose His son from the dead on the third day.

Did Jesus Christ really pay for all people their sin? I believe it to be true. Can you learn about Sin by looking at the 10 commandments? Yes you can. Disbelief in God is probably the biggest broken commandment because there was a point in my life not know who God really was or the Lord Jesus Christ either.

So if you break the commandment does that make you a sinner?

If that breaking of the commandment makes you a sinner does that make you a sinner saved by grace? It does if you are a believer and have faith and in Jesus Christ. All human beings all of us are deemed sinners; though the price of sin has been paid for sin for all mankind, and God's wrath against sin was appeased because of the sacrifice of Christ; who was buried, and risen again by God.

Does a person who becomes a Christian who may seek God change in their life? Yes by the hands of God Himself and the person having their own personal relationship with God knowing that the holy spirit lives with-in them. God by the spirit will communicate to another person who is a believer having faith in Jesus.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Matthew G.
Thanks Matt. You didn't answer my question.

Do you want to try my other question?

Why did Paul keep the Law (obey the 10 Commandments), throughout his life and ministry, long after Jesus' death on the Cross?
Acts 21:24
Acts 24:14
Acts 25:8

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev,

Have you consider the following passages?

Romans 7:21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.

Paul most certainly did not think the Commandments were bad or not good. Paul respects Gods commandments and delighted in God's law, but that did not keep him right with God because of doing so. What did was faith and trusting in Christ Jesus who was able fufill God's law.

If you are still reading up to this point: Gen2Rev, would like you to understand that I do not see that there is anything wrong with the 10 commandments.

They are there infinitely for all the world to see, and all people will see and find out that the only hope of salvation is to look towards the life, death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The 10 commandments are good, holy, righteous and God himself can not break that 10 commandments. No man was able to ever keep them: save Jesus Christ; who fulfilled them.

Have you also considered Philippians 3?

In Philippians 3: Paul goes on to explain a whole lot about the desire to wanting to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His suffering and being conformed to Jesus in His death, and so somehow, to attain resurrection from the dead.

Paul explains that He counts everything as a loss for the sake of Christ, all things are loss compared to the surpassing excellence of knowing Christ Jesus my lord, for whom I have lost all things.

Paul also explains how He was a Hebrews of all Hebrews, and was a contrast of looking towards knowing Christ and knowing about the resurrection of the spirit with-in because of the holy spirit that comes upon believers.

Paul is also mentioned a special kind of resurrection here in Philippians 3 verse 10: that talks about a better resurrection. Which seems like an option for anyone Christian who desires to press forward to obtain the prize.

I do not know, but God does most certainly know more than me.

Thank you for reading,
With love in Christ,
Matthew G.

(The topic itself is interesting) The 10 commandments are not bad. They are good, holy, just, right. Jesus paid for them on the cross for all people, Jesus is our peace, Jesus gives rest to the soul, Jesus helps people to not become in bondage, Jesus helps people by the spirit that is with-in a believer. The spirit itself produces fruit: Love, Joy, Peace, Mercy, Forgiveness, Forbearing others, patience, longsuffering, gentleness, kindness. That is what abiding in Christ the Vine for a Christian when they are relying on God and the Lord Jesus Christ to help them in the spirit, in the wisdom of heavenly things to look towards heavenly things (Colossians 1:13; Colossians 3:1-10).

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG

You are 100% dodging the rock-solid points that I am making, and dancing all around them.

That's ok though. Those who are reading this thread sincerely, can see the Truth.

Yes, the 10 Commandments were written to US, ALL of us. And there is ample evidence in God's Word to prove that.

Those who do not strive to obey them today are not right with God and will be held accountable.

Ignorance of God's Law is no excuse.

God bless.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My friend Gen2Rev,

Romans 3:22-26
New Living Translation

22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.

23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

24 Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.

25 For God presented Jesus as the sacrifice for sin. People are made right with God when they believe that Jesus sacrificed his life, shedding his blood. This sacrifice shows that God was being fair when he held back and did not punish those who sinned in times past,

26 for he was looking ahead and including them in what he would do in this present time. God did this to demonstrate his righteousness, for he himself is fair and just, and he makes sinners right in his sight when they believe in Jesus.

Take care, and thank you for conversing with me,
With love in Christ Jesus,
Matthew G.

Believe me, I agree with you when the law is good, holy and righteous. Paul himself delighted in God's law. If a person lives by the spirit the seed of God the spirit inside of them can not sin. Though sometimes when you, me, whoever reacts out in the flesh:

For example lashing out in anger towards another.
Hating someone from the heart,
Manipulating other people,
Lying, Cheating, Adultry, strife, envy, coveting, drunkenness, lewdness, are not good or useful in life to react from our heart.

Instead as Christians growing in word of God should know that the Bible talks about casting off the works of darkness, and instead put on Christ. (Romans 13:8-14; Colossians 3:1-10; Romans 5:1; Romans 8:1-2; Romans 7:13)

Putting on Christ; would cause a person by the spirit to have (Galatians 5:20-26 ) the access to the spirit by and through Faith, and become renewed in their mind by the spirit and start to look towards heavenly things, rather than what the earthly causes which is (Hate, Adulty, Strife, Envy, Coveting, drunkenness, lewdness, cheating, and things like this).

Along with placing God first and foremost.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Matt.

Throughout Paul's ministry, he addressed each and every Commandment and made clear that we all should obey them. Clearly, he believed that they were given to all mankind.

Nobody can sin if the 10 Commandments were not given to the entire world 'til the end of time. For sin is the breaking of the Law, the breaking of any of the 10 Commandments.

Paul addresses each of the 10 Commandments as follows:

Idolatry (Commandments #1 & #2), Adultery (#7), Theft and Coveting (#8 & #10)
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Paul states here, in no uncertain terms, that those who do these things, EVEN TODAY, will not inherit the kingdom of God. "DO NOT BE DECEIVED ..." he says.

Here, he repeats the Commandments against Idolatry and Adultery and presents the sin of Murder. (Commandment #6)
Galatians 5:19-21

Next, Paul addresses the sins of Lying and Taking the Lord's Name in vain. (Commandments #9 & #3)
Colossians 3:5-9

Next, he emphasizes the Commandment to Honor thy father and thy mother. (Commandment #5)
Ephesians 6:1-2

If you've been counting, that's 9 of the Commandments. Which leaves only the 4th, and the most controversial by far, the Sabbath Commandment. It is very easy to prove that Paul was a keeper of the Sabbath. There are many verses that confirm this.
Acts 13:14-15
Acts 17:2
Acts 18:1-11
Acts 21:24
Acts 24:14
Acts 25:8
Luke 4:16
1 Corinthians 11:1
Hebrews 4:9

Were the Commandments given to us? Absolutely.

The proof is abundant and not at all hard to come by.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know what my mantra has become?
I say it many times a day, whenever my brain goes leaping about to and fro to the point where I almost make myself nauseous trying to fit everything together.
“I don’t know!! I only know I trust You!
Your last sentence is the right one. That much, I believe, I know!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
@Taken
@Wrangler

IF A: the 10 Commandments were only written TO the physical Jews present at Mt. Sinai,
and B: Sin is the breaking of said Commandments per 1 John 3:4,
Then: How was/is it possible for anybody else, ever in the history of the world to this day, to Sin?
If those dwelling on planet Earth before the law was given to Moses were already dead to God, why would the question of sin or not matter to them?

AND: How did Jesus die for the sins of THE WORLD if only the group of Jews present at Sinai were given the Law? How did Jesus' death on The Cross accomplish anything at all for the rest of us if none of the rest of us could break a Law we were never given?
Jesus did not bring death. Death was already here for everyone had as the offspring of dead people. Jesus brought the possibility of Life to all the dead people, did he not?

"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those people are only endeavoring to avoid hell with a bare minimum effort plan. They ask, "What is the least that I can do for God and still get to heaven?"
What is reasonable service?

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Rom 12:1

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So How is the 10 commandments written to me if I was not part of that group in which God delivered them from the bondage or house of slavery out of Eygpt?
God gave Israel the codified version of the commandments, but it doesn't mean humans didn't already have prior knowledge of the 10 commandments and knew that they applied to all human beings. God revealed to the commandments to Israel so they would instruct other nations in keeping the same commandments(Deut. 4:6-8). This was the whole reason why God commanded them to be a holy nation(Exo. 19:6). People often overlook this critical fact because they don't look at this event within the broader historical context of the world falling into a state of apostasy under Nimrod's leadership(Rom. 1:28, Gen. 10:8-12). God always wanted everybody to keep the 10 commandments, but He chose to accomplish this goal by revealing those commandments to Israel first on account of them being Abraham's descendants through Isaac.
Well I didn't listen to the video but I know the law was given to Israel and not to the gentiles and was commanded to Israel and not the Gentiles.
God Himself says this assumption is false:

“One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you.” - Exo. 12:9

‘One law and one custom shall be for you and for the stranger who dwells with you.' ” -Num. 15:16

The Sabbath command itself shows God saying foreigners were equally responsible for keeping it:

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates." - Exo. 20:8-11

It is not surprising that the same people who argue the Law wasn't for Gentiles also fail to realize that some Egyptians left Egypt with the Israelites(Exo. 12:38). And just to show the community that the Law did in fact apply to Gentiles, God had Moses record an incident where He made an example out of an Egyptian boy that blasphemed Him. I strongly suggest you and other proponents of this belief take the time to read about it in Lev. 24:10-16. I'm willing to wager that God knew "Christians" would eventually argue that the Law was only for Israelites.

Another obvious problem with the idea that the Law didn't apply to Gentiles is that proponents of such a foolish argument can't properly explain what standards God used to judge people in the Pre-Flood world, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the Canaanite cultures. Those people violated laws and commandments that clearly applied to them because the Bible mentions their actions as things that offended God.
In the OT the gentiles were without hope and without God in the world. The law was given as a school master to drive Israel to jesus. It can also drive agentile to Jesus by showing that they are sinners.
This is another widely held(but still false) assumption. The "law" Paul refers to as being a tutor in Galatians is not the Law(Torah) as a whole, particularly because Christ clearly stated in Matt. 5:17 in very clear words that no one was to even think He came to abolish it. The "law" Paul referred to is the law concerning animal sacrifices, as Hebrews clearly reveals:

"For the law[concerning animal sacrifices], having a shadow of the good things to come[atonement through faith in Christ's sacrifice], and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they[Orthodox Jews who rejected Christ as the final sacrifice for sins] offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year." - Heb. 10:1-3

Heb. 10:1-3 is why Paul said this law was a tutor in Gal. 3:24. It makes no sense to argue the Law was abolished because the whole foundation of Christianity rests on what is written in Genesis-Deuteronomy. And yes, Genesis is part of the Law.

Gentiles were without God because they didn't have knowledge of the Law, and thus they were left to their own devices having no concrete knowledge of what constituted right or wrong behavior. Possessing knowledge of the Law is what put the Israelites at a huge advantage, which Paul succinctly explains in Rom. 3:1-2. When they kept it, they had acquired all sorts of benefits, the most important of them all being a good relationship with God.

Reactions: GEN2REV

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello MJH29,

Believe that even using that scripture is out of context, from what is being said directly in Exodus 20 (God bringing out a people from bondage in Egypt).

Do agree with it (2 Timothy 3:16-17) on an individual basis when a person goes and reads the word of God and worship God in spirit and truth (John 4:24). You can look at, observe, see and find out how you, me, whoever else can not match up to these standards 100% perfectly, when looking at Exodus 20.

That scripture you shared is true, anyone who comes to learn about God and Jesus are going to learn more about the Heavenly ways (James 3:16-18) and the Earthly ways (Ephesians 4:31; Colossians 3:8) though anyone who goes through the bible will find out what is existing with-in them. Even renewing the spirit of the mind (Ephesians 4:23).

Thank you for sharing and commenting,
MJH29.

Christ said not one jot or tittle had passed away until ALL things are fulfilled.

The law reflects Christ's character, and since we are to be little Christ's, that means we must reflect the moral character described in th law.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thankful for Jesus and what He was able to do. Are you not too? Let’s be thankful and worship God in spirit and truth having love for God first and for others. You all have a good day.

Reactions: amadeus

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thankful for Jesus and what He was able to do. Are you not too? Let’s be thankful and worship God in spirit and truth having love for God first and for others. You all have a good day.

I am indeed very thankful! I do my best to show this thankfulness by living a life as Christ would want me to... by observing ALL his commands to the best of my ability. That includes the 10 commandments. Jesus, being God, is the author of these commands. He finds them very good and a perfect reflection of his character. A character we are to emulate

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It always the work of God that works through us by the spirit of Christ that performs the work of having hold on those commandments.

Not so sure if people understand that completely: Out of respect for God and what He has done there are those out there that try to respect Gods law, which is good, right, just. The thing is if anyone trys to hold on to that law perfectly every single day; they will end up failing. That is why our reliance is in Jesus Christ, and how we are saved is by grace through faith, not by the works of the law. Though those works are performed by God in and through you by the spirit of Christ.

Is it because of gratitude that you live for God, and Jesus Christ or is it just because of that Law that was set up? Was it the faith that saved you or the Law itself though it is good, holy, and righteous?

I know I personally have broken all the commandments : and for me to lay up that foundation of trying to live by all those rules is going to fail me, though I do know that living in the spirit of Christ is not going to fail me because the Spirit is more more powerful than the flesh that is weak.

Do you have any thoughts on these things @Mjh29?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My friend have you not read this scripture before?

1 John 3:15

Anyone who hates another brother or sister is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them.

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

In my life, of living in hatred, could say killed my family. My life was filled with complete darkness and hatred before God ever came into my life. Lost, in darkness, with bewildered thoughts and concepts while growing up through life. Though now me and my mom have a better relationship and my brother somewhat too, love my family now and do not hate them anymore. Praise God.

Mjh29

May 28, 2017
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It always the work of God that works through us by the spirit of Christ that performs the work of having hold on those commandments.

Not so sure if people understand that completely: Out of respect for God and what He has done there are those out there that try to respect Gods law, which is good, right, just. The thing is if anyone trys to hold on to that law perfectly every single day; they will end up failing. That is why our reliance is in Jesus Christ, and how we are saved is by grace through faith, not by the works of the law. Though those works are performed by God in and through you by the spirit of Christ.

Is it because of gratitude that you live for God, and Jesus Christ or is it just because of that Law that was set up? Was it the faith that saved you or the Law itself though it is good, holy, and righteous?

I know I personally have broken all the commandments : and for me to lay up that foundation of trying to live by all those rules is going to fail me, though I do know that living in the spirit of Christ is not going to fail me because the Spirit is more more powerful than the flesh that is weak.

Do you have any thoughts on these things @Mjh29?

Yes I agree! The only salvation to be found in the law and commandments is the fact that CHRIST KEPT THEM FOR ME!! That reason and that alone is why I strive (and fail, but still strive) to observe His commands!

That is also why I DONT observe the ceremonial laws. They were fulfilled in and only served to point you Christ. But the moral law reflects His character; a character which I am commanded to emulate, and more than that should WANT to follow out of love and gratitude to our Savior and King.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My friend have you not read this scripture before?

1 John 3:15

Anyone who hates another brother or sister is really a murderer at heart. And you know that murderers don’t have eternal life within them.

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

In my life, of living in hatred, could say killed my family. My life was filled with complete darkness and hatred before God ever came into my life. Lost, in darkness, with bewildered thoughts and concepts while growing up through life. Though now me and my mom have a better relationship and my brother somewhat too, love my family now and do not hate them anymore. Praise God.
I can tell you with 100% certainty, and with God as my Faithful Witness, that you can rest completely assured that the 6th Commandment is NOT referring to hating someone. It is quite literally speaking of the intentional slaughter of a human being, made in God's Image.

Thou shall not MURDER is unequivocally different that Thou shall not hate.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Gen2Rev,

Would like to share this with you,

A quick example:

From my understanding (it could be wrong but this is my understanding).

When it comes to hating another person it is just like the act of murdering.

The reason why is this: say someone comes up to you and tells you that so-and-so is dead to me. Is that the same thing as murder?

I believe so, however you may not believe so.

Would also like to again thank you for your time and your comments,
Matthew G.