What day of the week was the crucifixion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How bad do you want to know? I can dig into it if you really want to know what I can come up with.
Well the bigger question is what day of the week the crucifixion was everyone agrees Jesus rose on the first day of the week

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Day of Debt: Friday or Wednesday? – Chuck Missler – Koinonia House Can you get 3 days and 3 nights from Friday evening to Sunday morning? Matthew 12:40
What you have today is tradition by the RCC vs. what God's Word actually says.

RCC created the old tradition that the crucifixion was on Friday.

The Bible reveals Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday.

Also per The Bible, the Hebrew reckoning for a 'day' must be used, which means the day began... at sunset to the next sunset, and not at midnight to midnight like our Gregorian calendar we use.

Only with Jesus being crucified at Wednesday evening before sunset does the "three days and three nights" He said He would be in the heart of the earth work out via the Hebrew day reckoning.

Sorry, but the Friday crucifixion, just like using the pagan festival of Easter (Ishtar) to represent the time of Christ's death and resurrection, those are just old traditions that the RCC started long ago.

Reactions: RLT63

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 19:31
31 The Jews therefore,
because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
KJV

John 19:41-42
41 Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.
42 There laid they Jesus therefore
because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.
KJV

The "preparation day" was the day God commanded the Israelites in Egypt to kill the passover lamb, at evening.

The first day of the feast would begin at sunset, and it was to be a "high day", meaning a High Sabbath.

A high Sabbath means a day just like the regular weekly Sabbath, no servile work was to be done. This "high day" that was coming at sunset was to be like the Sabbath. The regular weekly Sabbath for that week would come later.

This is why they rushed to bury the body of Lord Jesus, because sunset was coming which would begin the "high day" Sabbath.

This is where the Friday traditionalists got confused. The weekly Sabbath per Hebrew reckoning is from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. So they wrongly thought the "high day" of John 19:31 meant Friday, wrongly thinking it was the regular weekly Sabbath, and using their own western time for a day, and not even sticking to the required Hebrew reckoning for a day.

The reality though was that "high day" was the 1st day of the feast, and per Exodus 12, the first day of the feast was always to be a "holy convocation" (Exod.12:16). The time of the lamb sacrifice was to be Nisan 14th at evening. The "holy convocation" would begin at sunset on 15th Nisan, and that was to be treated as a Sabbath ("high day"). But it was not the regular weekly Sabbath day.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hear the confusion with the Catholics (and yes it was them who came up with these dates) is when they confuse the weekly preparation from the yearly one.
Well I could care less about the catholics, I got my information from a Messianic Jew who was studying to be a rebbe. He knows how Jewish culture was. and there was no mandated preparation for the weekly sabbath. For passover yes, for the feast of unleavened bread? Yes!

But no matter what- that particular Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day (Passover) There is no way around it.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But no matter what- that particular Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day (Passover) There is no way around it.
The John 19 "high day" was NOT... a Saturday. It began a Thursday.

The meaning of "high day" is per this...

Ex 12:15-16
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

16 And
in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
KJV

That does NOT mean it has to be the weekly Sabbath (which is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset by the way per Hebrew reckoning).

The 1st day of the feast was to be a Sabbath, and that would begin at sunset Nisan 15th. Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14th, which was a Wednesday. Nisan 15th would begin Thursday. Nisan 16th was Friday, Nisan 17th was Saturday, and sometime after sunset Saturday, which began Sunday, Jesus rose.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The John 19 "high day" was NOT... a Saturday. It began a Thursday.

The meaning of "high day" is per this...

Ex 12:15-16
15 Seven days shall ye eat unleavened bread; even the first day ye shall put away leaven out of your houses: for whosoever eateth leavened bread from the first day until the seventh day, that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

16 And
in the first day there shall be an holy convocation, and in the seventh day there shall be an holy convocation to you; no manner of work shall be done in them, save that which every man must eat, that only may be done of you.
KJV

That does NOT mean it has to be the weekly Sabbath (which is Friday sunset to Saturday sunset by the way per Hebrew reckoning).

The 1st day of the feast was to be a Sabbath, and that would begin at sunset Nisan 15th. Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14th, which was a Wednesday. Nisan 15th would begin Thursday. Nisan 16th was Friday, Nisan 17th was Saturday, and sometime after sunset Saturday, which began Sunday, Jesus rose.
I agree

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I could care less about the catholics, I got my information from a Messianic Jew who was studying to be a rebbe. He knows how Jewish culture was. and there was no mandated preparation for the weekly sabbath. For passover yes, for the feast of unleavened bread? Yes!

Someone just told me here that Saturday at sundown was the beginning of the week.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I read that stuff from the ignored member and He is blatantly wrong! How can I be so arrogantly sure?

John 19:

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

it is simple grammar.

That Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day! There is never a sabbath on a thursday or Wednesday. Sabbaths are saturday. And that Saturday was a high day-passover.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I read that stuff from the ignored member and He is blatantly wrong! How can I be so arrogantly sure?

John 19:

31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

it is simple grammar.

That Sabbath (Saturday) was a high day! There is never a sabbath on a thursday or Wednesday. Sabbaths are saturday. And that Saturday was a high day-passover.
Sabbath does not equal Saturday. Yes there was a weekly Sabbath but there were also other Sabbaths. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is a high Sabbath. It wasn't necessarily on Saturday. It was most likely on Thursday and Jesus was crucified on Wednesday

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone just told me here that Saturday at sundown was the beginning of the week.

Yes. When the first three stars appeared in the Jerusalem sky, that was the start of the new day- as was written in Genesis for the six days of Creation. "There was an evening and a morning...."

Jesus died Friday @ approx. 3PM. He was pulled and buried before sundown. Why because the next day was the Sabbath (Saturday). It is primary school grammar understanding.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath does not equal Saturday. Yes there was a weekly Sabbath but there were also other Sabbaths. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is a high Sabbath. It wasn't necessarily on Saturday. It was most likely on Thursday and Jesus was crucified on Wednesday. Passover is the 14th of Nisan and the high Sabbath of the Feast of Unleavened bread is the 15th of Nisan. Surely you understand enough about dates to understand that the 15th of Nisan will not always fall on a Saturday

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. When the first three stars appeared in the Jerusalem sky, that was the start of the new day- as was written in Genesis for the six days of Creation. "There was an evening and a morning...."

Jesus died Friday @ approx. 3PM. He was pulled and buried before sundown. Why because the next day was the Sabbath (Saturday). It is primary school grammar understanding.

And he was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights. So is your grammar school math getting him up 3 days past Friday which is Monday?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath does not equal Saturday. Yes there was a weekly Sabbath but there were also other Sabbaths. The Feast of Unleavened Bread is a high Sabbath. It wasn't necessarily on Saturday. It was most likely on Thursday and Jesus was crucified on Wednesday

This is where you are wrong! they were not called Sabbaths until long after Jesus' time. They were called high days! John like it shows in John. If it was a Sabbath- why didn't John write it? He was a good Jew who knew the culture more than all on this forum combined! That is a lousy rationalizing on your part.

Primary school vocabulary cleary and absolutely shows that two events were happening that Saturday- that Sabbath = the normal sabbath=Saturday. Then John further describes what is happening on THAT Sabbath(Saturday) it is a high day. Five centuries later it could be called a double Sabbath but not in Jesus day.

Reactions: Peterlag

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And he was in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights. So is your grammar school math getting him up 3 days past Friday which is Monday?

And as I explained already. In the Jewish culture (even today) any part of a day is considered a whole day inconversation. That is why in the gospels it is written, "three days and nights". "three days", and "on the third day".

Jesus was buried on Friday-day one. In Jewish culture it doesn't mattr if there was only an hour left to that day- it is a whole day conversationally.

Spent the whole day in the tomb on the Sabbath (which was a high day that year) day 2

Jesus rose after the first three stars appeared in the night sky and before dawn. =day three.

Don't take my word for it- go ask an orthodox rabbi.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where you are wrong! they were not called Sabbaths until long after Jesus' time. They were called high days! John like it shows in John. If it was a Sabbath- why didn't John write it? He was a good Jew who knew the culture more than all on this forum combined! That is a lousy rationalizing on your part.

Primary school vocabulary cleary and absolutely shows that two events were happening that Saturday- that Sabbath = the normal sabbath=Saturday. Then John further describes what is happening on THAT Sabbath(Saturday) it is a high day. Five centuries later it could be called a double Sabbath but not in Jesus day.
So explain to me with your high school math how the 15th of Nisan always falls on a Saturday. Exodus 12:16, Exodus 31:13, Lev 19:3, Lev 19:30 it seems they knew long before John there were SABBATHS

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So explain to me with your high school math how the 15th of Nisan always falls on a Saturday. Exodus 12:16, Exodus 31:13, Lev 19:3, Lev 19:30 it seems they knew long before John there were SABBATHS

It doesn't. Also Passover is not always on a Saturday either. REsurrection day is always on a Sunday for Jesus rose on the first day of teh week which was Sunday.

Tomorrow I am taking my hospital working wife on a 10 day vacation so we will be out of communication. Since covid she has run ragged.

Will see you all when we get back (metaphorically)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's correct, per the Hebrew reckoning. Saturday at sunset begins Sunday, the first day of the week per the Hebrew reckoning.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't. Also Passover is not always on a Saturday either. REsurrection day is always on a Sunday for Jesus rose on the first day of teh week which was Sunday.

Tomorrow I am taking my hospital working wife on a 10 day vacation so we will be out of communication. Since covid she has run ragged.

Will see you all when we get back (metaphorically)
Hope you had a nice vacation

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Day of Debt: Friday or Wednesday? – Chuck Missler – Koinonia House Can you get 3 days and 3 nights from Friday evening to Sunday morning? Matthew 12:40
6th day of the week (14th day of the 1st month (Abib/Nisan)), aka 'Friday'.

3 days and 3 nights doesn't begin in the grave, and doesn't end in the grave. Just as Jonah was not unconscious the entire time in the belly of the great sea creature. A sea Beast represent a "nation" (a politically organized body of peoples). In other words, the nation of Israel who took Jesus captive, swallowed him up (arrested him), and took him where ever they would, to High priests (Caiaphas, Annas), Herod, Pilate, etc. There are more to the details of this specialized prophecy (such as 'heart of the earth', doesn't mean grave, but means in the thoughts of the mind/heart of the people), but would be too long to detail in a single post. Instead, here is the timeline of Jesus, in his last times alive on earth.

Week Day 1 Week Day 2 Week Day 3 Week Day 4 Week Day 5 Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5) Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11)

Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5), Month Adar

Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11) - 1st Day of the Month (Abib/Nisan); New Moon feast; Psa. 81:3

Week Day 1 - 2nd Day of the Month

Week Day 2 - 3rd Day of the Month

Week Day 3 - 4th Day of the Month

Week Day 4 - 5th Day of the Month

Week Day 5 - 6th Day of the Month

Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5) - 7th Day of the Month

Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11) - 8th Day of the Month, Jesus at Lazarus’, Mary’s and Martha’s house in Bethany on Mount of Olives; Jhn. 12:1

Week Day 1 - 9th Day of the Month - Jesus Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem, “the next day” from leaving Lazarus' house, Hosanna! – Jhn. 12:12,13; Mat. 21:10; Mar. 11:11, goes to the Temple, and after looking around, leaves, since it was close to evening back out unto Mt. Olivet.

Week Day 2 - 10th Day of the Month - Jesus comes back, curses the fig tree, goes to the Temple, and cleanses the Temple for the Second [last] time of the Money Changers - Mat. 21:12,13,17; Mar. 11:12,15,16,17,19, and Jesus goes back out.

Week Day 3 - 11th Day of the Month - Jesus comes back, the Fig tree is withered up from the roots, goes to the Temple, and has the final teachings to the Pharisees, etc - Mat. 21:18,23; Mar. 11:20,27. This was the “two days” before the “Passover” - Mat. 26:1-2; Mar. 14:1; Luk. 21:37-38, 22:1. Jesus tells the Jewish nation, that their house is forever left desolate, no more fruit again - Mat. 23:37-39; Luk. 13:32-35. Jesus said, that He still had to do “cures” and “cast out devils” “to day, tomorrow and the third day” and be done – Luk. 13:32,33. Jesus had been “daily” in the Temple – Mat. 26:55; Mar. 14:49; Luk. 19:47, 22:53; Jhn. 18:20]; the “to day” Luk. 12:32,33

Week Day 4 - 12th Day of the Month - The “tomorrow” Luk. 13:32,33

Week Day 5 - 13h Day of the Month - The “Third Day” Luk. 13:32,33, being done with His ministry. Spends this night with the Disciples in the upper room, and New Covenant Meal.

3 Days & 3 Nights (Jon. 1:17; Mat. 12:40. 1st Evening Part - Mat. 26:31,34; Mar. 14:27,30

Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5) - 14th Day of the Month; - Jesus Crucified time of the morning sacrifice (Mar. 15:5), and dies at the time of the evening sacrifice (Mat. 27:46; Mar. 15:34), He is the Passover, Lev. 23:4-8; 1 Cor. 5:7; Gather twice as much, Christ Jesus the anti-typical Manna, Exo. 16:25,26. The "spices" "had been" (Mar. 16:1) purchased sometime after the Crucifixion and before burial so that they could "prepare" (Luk. 23:56) them to bring on the "first [day] of the week" (Luk. 24:1), even as we see Joseph of Arimathaea doing for the linen (Mar. 14:46). 1st Morning [Light] Part - Mat. 27:21; Mar. 15:1

Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11) - 15th Day of the Month; 1st Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8 (Festal sabbath combines with God’s Sabbath, High Sabbath; Jhn. 19:31. Jesus in the Tomb, Resting on Sabbath; Luk. 23:54,56; Mat. 28:6. Begin counting 7 Sabbaths unto Pentecost (49 days, +1); Lev. 23:15-22 (Sabbath 1). Jesus remained in the Tomb all Sabbath - anti-type Manna - Exo. 16:29,30. The Disciples were keeping the Sabbath according to the Commandment - Exo. 20:8-11; Luk. 23:54,56. 2nd Evening and 2nd Morning Parts - Mat. 27:58-66, 28:1; Mar. 15:42-47; Luk. 23:52-53,54; Jhn. 19:38-42

Week Day 1 - 16th Day of the Month; 2nd Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8. Christ Jesus, preserved and Risen - Anti-type Manna - Exo. 16:32-34. 3rd Evening and 3rd Morning Parts, Christ Risen and shown alive - Mat. 28:1-10; Mar. 16:2-20; Luk. 24:1-29; Jhn. 20:1-23. Jesus was walking with the disciples on the Road to Emmaus on the “first [day] of the week”, as the day was closing out, being “the third day since these things” were done Luk. 24:21, One time.

Week Day 2 - 17th Day of the Month; 3rd Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8. Jesus goes invisibly with the two from Emmaus back to Jerusalem and enters the upper room, unseen, with them and appears in the Evening - Luk. 24:29,35. [Day 1 inclusive] One time event.

Week Day 3 - 18th Day of the Month; 4th Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8. [Day 2 inclusive] [Day 1 exclusive]

Week Day 4 - 19th Day of the Month - 5th Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8. [Day 3 inclusive] [Day 2 exclusive]

Week Day 5 - 20th Day of the Month - 6th Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8. [Day 4 inclusive] [Day 3 exclusive]

Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5) - 21st Day of the Month; 7th Day Of Unleavened Bread, Feast; Lev. 23:6-8 (Festal sabbath). [Day 5 inclusive] [Day 4 exclusive]

Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11) - 22nd Day of the Month (Sabbath 2) [Day 6 inclusive] [Day 5 exclusive]

Week Day 1 - 23rd Day of the Month. [Day 7 inclusive] [Day 6 exclusive]

Week Day 2 - 24th Day of the Month. [Day 8 inclusive] [Day 7 exclusive]

Week Day 3 - 25th Day of the Month. [Day 9 inclusive] [Day 8 exclusive]. “after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst” Jhn. 20:26 - One time.

Week Day 4 - 26th Day of the Month. [Day 9 exclusive]

Week Day 5 - 27th Day of the Month

Week Day 6 (preparation day; Exo. 16:5) - 28th Day of the Month

Week Day 7 (The Sabbath of the LORD; Gen. 2:13; Exo. 20:8-11) - 29th Day of the Month (Sabbath 3 … &c)

Week Day 1 - 30th Day of the Month ...

... Jesus met with them for 40 days, & 10 days just before Pentecost (1st day of the week), the 5th day of the week (Act. 1:3,6-9,15). One time event.

Last edited: