What distinguishes a "Protestant?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fully realize not many of us seem capable of giving any answer in just a few sentences. But, can we try this time, in this one thread, if nowhere else? Can we just point out what we think is the primary thing that distinguishes one as a Protestant?
I'll start. I say a Protestant is one who believes the Bible can be read and understood by ordinary people..... and should be.
A Protestant person is an individual who holds the beliefs professed by a Protestant Church. A Protestant Church is ones which traces it's historical heritage (teachers / breaks offs / etc) to the Protestant Reformation.

It's a hugely varied camp of different beliefs, even those sitting in the same literal pew Sunday morning.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's a hugely varied camp of different beliefs, even those sitting in the same literal pew Sunday morning.
Chances are that those sitting in the pews may not even really know that distinguishes a Protestant from Catholics and non-Catholics.

In any event the term *Protestant* has become an anachronism, since Ecumenism (symbol shown below) has taken over the mainline churches.
220px-Ecumenism_symbol.jpg

As you can see that is not a true cross, and what they are saying through that image is "We are all at sea" (thoroughly confused).

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chances are that those sitting in the pews may not even really know that distinguishes a Protestant from Catholics and non-Catholics.
All peoples could do with more devotion to Christ and more studying, that's for sure :)
Honestly, I find that some interfaith studying (actually visiting other people and asking actually people's about their beliefs) helps increase this knowledge and self-awareness / inward reflection. Obviously it's not something to do with a new-learner, but I find it to be a good thing in the later intermediate stages.

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In any event the term *Protestant* has become an anachronism, since Ecumenism (symbol shown below) has taken over the mainline churches.
220px-Ecumenism_symbol.jpg

As you can see that is not a true cross, and what they are saying through that image is "We are all at sea" (thoroughly confused).

The Ecumenism going on today IMHO is ushering in the false religion of the end times. Good find, and how apt the symbol!

Reactions: Enoch111 and Helen

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Ecumenism going on today IMHO is ushering in the false religion of the end times. Good find, and how apt the symbol!
I'll say this: I am a huge fan of understanding and respecting members of other faiths.
But I am NO fan of "same differencing" other faiths. Such dellutes and disrespects everyone involved.

Reactions: Nancy

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Church I recently left was considered Reformed Baptists and, yes they are Calvinists (hence WHY I left, among other things but-left on very good terms ♥)
I have also heard of "Reformed Methodists" and others. By NO means is every protestant body Calvinists! Yikes! I happen to be an Armenian, very different beliefs when it comes to salvation as well as several other doctrines. Of the four different protestant churches I belonged, only the last one was of the T.U.L.I.P. variety... :) JMTC

Nancy,

Armenians are people who live in Armenia. This is the country that borders eastern Turkey today.

I think you mean Arminians who consider the theology espoused by Remonstrants, followers of Jacobus Arminius (1560-1609) , the Dutch Reformed minister and theologian.

The Remonstrants theology was torn apart by the kangaroo court of the Synod of Dordt (1618-1619). It was a kangaroo court because those who judged the Arminian doctrines of the Remonstrants were all Calvinists in doctrine. How could they conclude with other than TULIP when they were Calvinists. The Remonstrants did not have a fair trial.

Arminian teachings have found their way into many denominations including:
Dutch Reformed (I know of some in South Africa), Methodism, Wesleyan, some Mennonite, Anabaptist Brethren, Anglican, Baptists, Holiness movement, Church of the Nazarene, Eastern Orthodox churches, Pentecostals, Charismatics, The Salvation Army, and other denominations.

I'm a 'leaky' Reformed Arminian by biblical persuasion. 'Leaky' because I believe in believers' baptism and not infant baptism.

Oz

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think Helen is from Canada, not the country of Armenia.
You missed the nuanced joke. Nancy claimed she was Armenian, but failed to tell us when she had last visited Yerevan, the capital, and one of the oldest inhabited cities in the world. Helen is from my neck in the woods.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A Protestant person is an individual who holds the beliefs professed by a Protestant Church. A Protestant Church is ones which traces it's historical heritage (teachers / breaks offs / etc) to the Protestant Reformation.

And yet if you asked Jesus, they are all the same, and He would also say, "I have my own Glorious Church, it is not a denomination, and you will not find men ruling or reigning over it. it is Mine and Mine alone, and those who are in it, belong to Me, they belong to no man."

I guess the question should have being, "what distinguishes Christs church from all the rest".

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and amadeus
B

brakelite

The philosophical essence of Protestantism is freedom of conscience. It may have taken a few centuries for it to take root, but allowing every individual to choose his or her own destiny... To freely choose what they shall believe, even if it is openly satanic, without let our hindrance, do long as it doesn't impinge the rights of others, is the real Protestant ethic, and which is a contradistinction to Romanism which claims the right to coerce and control the conscience.
This freedom finds spiritual expression in Sola scriptura ... Protestants allow the freedom to decide for oneself what scriptures mean with the aid of the holy Spirit... Rome decides on behalf of Catholics what scriptures mean. There is no freedom of conscience within Catholicism... Which is why they are the most dangerous of all churches.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no freedom of conscience in any religion, they all have there rules there laws there, well as Jesus put it,

Mar_7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

the only freedom we have is in Christ, but so few will leave there religions to follow Him.

Mat 20:25 But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26 But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;

but that is what religion does, it is a follow up of the Jews rejecting Christ way back here..

1Sa_8:7 And the LORD said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

and so by religion, men reject God and Christ that they may rule over them and instead have men who do just as God said they will do,

1Sa 8:8 According to all the works which they have done since the day that I brought them up out of Egypt even unto this day, wherewith they have forsaken me, and served other gods, so do they also unto thee.
1Sa 8:9 Now therefore hearken unto their voice: howbeit yet protest solemnly unto them, and shew them the manner of the king that shall reign over them.
1Sa 8:10 And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.
1Sa 8:11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
1Sa 8:12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
1Sa 8:13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
1Sa 8:14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
1Sa 8:15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.
1Sa 8:16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.
1Sa 8:17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.
1Sa 8:18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing distinguishes, it’s all built on the foundations of men.
1 John 2:27 KJV
[27] But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Tecarta Bible Premium

Reactions: mjrhealth