What Do You Learn from Debate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the argument of the devil. But Jesus used the same bible to refute the temptations by the lies that were used FROM a misuse of the bible by the devil.

CI...you are not using the bible correctly...but only to satisfy your own opinions. YOU are not God. You don't know or have the truth. The truth is ONLY in Christ...not the bible. The bible just points the way and says He is the truth.

So you are a biblicist not a Christian. You need to change your faith setting to 'other".:(
So the prophet speaks again from one of his six gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Does not matter if it's not biblical, you have declared it true.
Because we are of no account unless we are in Christ. In which case, the account is Christ's, not ours.
Refusing to address those points says you are not a good debater.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned that we like to be right - we will fight to the death for our opinion on the Truth, rather than focusing on connecting with others. I find this disturbing. I do not believe Christ intends us to put doctrine before people.

We all know that doctrine doesn’t save anyone; it is Christ’s love and forgiveness that saves us......so why do we hammer each other to death over petty doctrinal differences?

I have also learned that a small group of people who post on this site have warped Christianity in subtle but profound ways, for example - “the ends justify the means”, “Love is weakness”, “ridicule, mocking, and attempts to annihilate different points of view are seen as valid weapons for fighting perceived enemies,” “a redefinition of who our neighbors are,” “and hatred for perceived enemies, despite a call to love our enemies,”

Nothing in this list is Christian and it is all recorded here until Judgment. It is a condemnation of self.

I have also learned that the majority of people who post here are Christian and put love of neighbor before being right. This board remains one of the rare Christian communities on the web and I am glad to be apart of it.

Finally, I have discovered that Truth cannot be created or possessed by us. We can not even express it without adding aspects of ourselves, which is a good and a bad thing. If we recognize that every thought and expression of thought we generate is, in fact, opinion, even when it is Truth we are commentating on; we can realize we need each other to see a fuller picture of what is true and real and good.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea how many debates I've been.

Either by being a state arbitrator, Councilman, Mayor, webmaster or member of forms such as here.

While I can tell you is you need to have your base facts and proofs in line before debating.

Then your beliefs can be tweaked accordingly.

And that is why when debating a cult member is so difficult. That is because you're asking them to even get rid of their so-called base facts and proofs.

Or even those with false doctrine. You're asking them to see a segment of their beliefs are erroneous.

It is hard, but one has to be willing to change. After I was saved and went on a mission of learning, I changed a lot of things in my thinking. But over time that decreased and now it is rare.

Just saying.

Reactions: Mayflower

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting that we recognize perceived attacks on Christianity from the world, but we are oblivious to our own cannibalism! We are indeed, the enemies! We are waging an internal war on the core of our faith - love

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spent a college year with the Freewill Baptist... Who loved to argue and debate religion! I have heard that they use to go on the mountain and argue religion for the better part of the evening. One time, after a Christmas pageant, with some of our members out smoking, some young lady makes the comment... They are just like everyone else! And it really embarrassed me.

Arguing and debating religion can never be made glamorous!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is interesting that we recognize perceived attacks on Christianity from the world, but we are oblivious to our own cannibalism! We are indeed, the enemies! We are waging an internal war on the core of our faith - love
That is a good point. It requires:

Properly identifying Christian from cult.

Sound doctrine from false doctrine.

Sincerity from those that just like to stir the pot.

Those that are overly defensive.

Who actually knows what talking about and who does not.

The core of our faith I believe is more than just love.

It is love, justice, wisdom, compassion, firmness and many other things.

It is not one singular item. That is a recipe for failure.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I spent a college year with the Freewill Baptist... Who loved to argue and debate religion! I have heard that they use to go on the mountain and argue religion for the better part of the evening. One time, after a Christmas pageant, with some of our members out smoking, some young lady makes the comment... They are just like everyone else! And it really embarrassed me.

Arguing and debating religion can never be made glamorous!
I agree.

But when you look at the Bible, Christ debated the Pharisees and others.

The apostles debated people. Such as Paul on the street of idols.

It's like on here, when I was attacked for disagreeing with a cult member by someone else. She did not realize she was debating me.

We cannot go through life without debating.

Debating the Bible is one of the most heartfelt and demanding debates of all.

To be perfectly clear, if I did not think it was worth it I would not do it.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree.

But when you look at the Bible, Christ debated the Pharisees and others.

The apostles debated people. Such as Paul on the street of idols.

It's like on here, when I was attacked for disagreeing with a cult member by someone else. She did not realize she was debating me.

We cannot go through life without debating.

Debating the Bible is one of the most heartfelt and demanding debates of all.

To be perfectly clear, if I did not think it was worth it I would not do it.

It is that word "attack" that I wish was not a feeling in debate. When insults and mockery and even just calling a thought dumb (even when a thought is) comes in, it is very hard to hear the Truth. When my daughter gets a little older and starts sharing her different views on the world, if I called one dumb she is either going to throw tantrums or drop out and not share her views. Call my thoughts dumb. I don't think adults are much different. Adults just respond a little differently and aren't cute about it.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is that word "attack" that I wish was not a feeling in debate. When insults and mockery and even just calling a thought dumb (even when a thought is) comes in, it is very hard to hear the Truth. When my daughter gets a little older and starts sharing her different views on the world, if I called one dumb she is either going to throw tantrums or drop out and not share her views. Call my thoughts dumb. I don't think adults are much different. Adults just respond a little differently and aren't cute about it.
There is a distinction between debate and attack.

I was referring to not debating, but being attacked.

There is nothing easy about debate. Unfortunately too often the sins into attack.

I used to judge debates. And if somebody wanted to lose a debate real quick, cross the line into an attack.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a distinction between debate and attack.

I was referring to not debating, but being attacked.

There is nothing easy about debate. Unfortunately too often the sins into attack.

I used to judge debates. And if somebody wanted to lose a debate real quick, cross the line into an attack.

il_340x270.616471159_kzpv.jpg

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned that we like to be right - we will fight to the death for our opinion on the Truth, rather than focusing on connecting with others. I find this disturbing. I do not believe Christ intends us to put doctrine before people.

Hi aspen,

I believe both are important. To properly love others, and to love God, we have to know what that all means, don't we?

I have also learned that a small group of people who post on this site have warped Christianity in subtle but profound ways, for example - “the ends justify the means”, “Love is weakness”, “ridicule, mocking, and attempts to annihilate different points of view are seen as valid weapons for fighting perceived enemies,” “a redefinition of who our neighbors are,” “and hatred for perceived enemies, despite a call to love our enemies,”

So you've seen that too?

I have also learned that the majority of people who post here are Christian and put love of neighbor before being right. This board remains one of the rare Christian communities on the web and I am glad to be apart of it.

It's a good thing!

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Mayflower

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi aspen,

There is another possibility, and that is that the opposition is not actually family. Not to say more than that.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and CoreIssue

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Address those points?"

...No, I defined it.

This is a good point.

Winning a debate demands that you dictate the pace while presenting information.

Reactions: Nancy

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi aspen,

There is another possibility, and that is that the opposition is not actually family. Not to say more than that.

Much love!

Sure. But in this point, I was speaking specifically about family

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you try to redefine everything in your thinking.
You quote the scriptures wherein it says "If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret." But when "one interprets", you reject the Spirit.

Do you not know this is blasphemy according to the same word?

Reactions: amadeus

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You quote the scriptures wherein it says "If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret." But when "one interprets", you reject the Spirit.

Do you not know this is blasphemy according to the same word?

All we can do is interpret, Scott