What Do You Learn from Debate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...that is not biblical.

What is biblical...is that when one sent speaks, it is not them who speak, but the Spirit of the Father that speaks in them. Matthew 10:20

God uses people to communication so he must value how we provide the message. Besides, can you point to anyone who is not Christ who is infallible?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Have often wished that there was at least an "AMEN!" feature to reply to posts instead of "LIKE" all the time?...but I suppose "LIKE" is synonymous with...

What a Verse)post Is. 50:4...The Lord God hath given...the tongue the Word the ear and the edification!
Hope I didn't overtax this reply :) just joy! \0/
I guess 'like' can have various shades of meaning, right?

Reactions: faithfulness

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... the Word of God is my source of spiritual sustenance and ground of confidence. I am very conscious that the Lord Jesus Christ is the foundation of my faith, and I am careful what I build upon it.

In Christ Jesus
Our risen and glorified,
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris
Good basis, indeed...

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God uses people to communication so he must value how we provide the message. Besides, can you point to anyone who is not Christ who is infallible?
"The Lord is perfect in all His ways"...even in His use of imperfect people. But that does not make His word void, when He says, "It is not you who speaks, but the Spirit of the Father who speaks in you."

Both are true. But that does not justify the use of opinion...that is...we are not. Yet the Lord is justified in allowing it, for we deserve the consequences, and what we have meant for evil, He means for good.

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Lord is perfect in all His ways"...even in His use of imperfect people. But that does not make His word void, when He says, "It is not you who speaks, but the Spirit of the Father who speaks in you."

Both are true. But that does not justify the use of opinion...that is...we are not. Yet the Lord is justified in allowing it, for we deserve the consequences, and what we have meant for evil, He means for good.
So you are claiming to speak for God.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should really read the Bible sometime, those are the Lord's words not mine.

See you in a year or so, then?

Enjoy!

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make all these pronouncements without posting a single verse. You just say this is what God meant or what he has revealed to you.
That is correct. Just like Jesus and the prophets did.

Last edited:

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should really read the Bible sometime, those are the Lord's words not mine.

See you in a year or so, then?

Enjoy!
Says the guy who refuses to quote scripture to back up his views when asked.

Reactions: CoreIssue

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is correct. Just like Jesus and the prophets did.
Sorry to break the news to you...you are not Jesus and you are not a prophet. God's word is the authority , not us, that's why it's important to stick with the scripture and not make up our own version of spiritual truth.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to break the news to you...you are not Jesus and you are not a prophet. God's word is the authority , not us, that's why it's important to stick with the scripture and not make up our own version of spiritual truth.
Where have you been for 2000 years? These are the times promised where the Spirit of the Father speaks and the bride is to be silent in church.

You too need to read the Bible.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is why I said you need to read the Bible.

You quote the scriptures and demand the same of others as if it were the word and the test for our times, but it is not. Israel, whom died in their sins and have their salvation in Christ according to the scriptures, were told to keep the written word. But God has promised that those born again of the spirit of God, would no more turn to such, but would have it written on their hearts, that it would not be them who spoke, but the Spirit of the Father speaking in them, and thus women (spiritually the bride of Christ) should be silent in Church, leaving only the Head to speak.

But you, though you call yourself a Christian and a follower of Christ, have not followed at all, but have followed Israel in that type of blindness (until the times of the gentiles are fulfilled).

So...I say again: Read the Bible, and desist in your ignorant grumblings against those who have been sent according to the scriptures.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Debate" tends to be no one listening to anyone and every one arguing trying to "prove" their view. It's seldom yields any good fruits, and I try my best to avoid such.
From my perspective, that is more the definition of an argument rather than a debate. A debate can be a good thing. In high school and college there were organized debate teams and they competed against other schools. It was absolutely necessary to listen to the other point of view in order to counter it with a meaningful reply. So there is a difference between a debate and an argument. Again, just my point of view.

What is the purpose of debate?

The purpose of a debate is to discuss a controversial subject in a point/counterpoint manner by using facts and philosophy. It doesn't always have to become a nasty argument. In fact, it never should. Again, a proper debate can be a good thing if all sides remain cordial.

What have you learned personally from debating with other Christians?
I have learned others point of view and their reasoning behind it. If I lose the debate, I have gained more than my opponent! Think about it... If you are shown to be wrong you are the one who has learned and benefitted the most. If I win or it's a draw, I have learned more about the other side of the issue... If it's a good debate, chances are I had to dig up new facts or support.

What is your favorite part about debating?
I generally don't enter debates unless I am interested in the subject. Therefore, I like to discuss things I am interested in.

The least favorite part is when it does become an argument and it becomes personal.

I haven't debated in a while... There haven't been any subjects that have come up lately that I haven't been through countless times. Furthermore, I sense that some topics becoming an argument is unavoidable with many folks.