What do you think of my music?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
Reactions: HammerStone

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
First off I'll get the problems out of the way:

1) Really cut back on the reverb/echo, you have too much for this song I believe.

2) Some of your transitions (fingering) between keys weren't as smooth as they could be. Consider splitting your instrumental and vocals entirely and just pantomime your guitar playing while you perform the song. For youtube at the quality you are posting it won't be noticed.

3) You are probably running a Shure PE588 through a Sampson MDR1064 for this video, so you haven't gone bargain basement on your equipment, I would really suggest setting aside a corner of your place for "studio" work, that is something more than the curtains on the back door or a wacky paisley rug hung on the wall. Youtube is video as well as audio, and what we see influences what we hear.

The goods things I liked:

1) I really like your voice for this genre of music. You sing it naturally and from the heart and that comes through even though sometimes the echo is kicked way too much.

2) I also like your approach to the performance of your music. A simple stool and tapping your foot for a rhythm adds to the folksiness and easy listening of your style (makes me think of Burl Ives and A Little Bitty Tear Let Me Down) and voice (kind of reminiscent of Roy Orbison and Pretty Paper).

3) I also like your song writing, it doesn't go out of it's way to bash the listener over and over their head again and again that this is a spiritual song. Good Christian music doesn't have to be so sickeningly sweet as to leave the audience with a collective case of diabetes. It just has to be good! And your songwriting is good.

I have subscribed to you channel and look forward to more. Thanks!

Reactions: HammerStone

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like Andy, kill the reverb - honestly your voice is plenty good on its own to need any modification! (That's a compliment.) :D

I like the folksiness (as our scholar above put it) of your music, and I find it worshipful. I don't know if you play locally, but if you don't, you definitely should.

I also echo the criticisms/suggestions of Andy, but those are simply cosmetic matters.

I subscribed as well, and honestly good job, all-in-all!

Just keep playing, man!

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
Thank You BiggAndy and HammerStone
I do appreciate your comments.
I have the equipment to do a professional job of recording these songs. I don't know if I have the knowledge. I have tutorials for pro-tools but it is a very difficult program to learn. I have Sony Vegas Pro but I haven't done any video editing except for cropping ends.
One of the contests that I entered required it to be a live natural performance of the songs. No professional recordings with pantomiming is allowed in that competition. That is why I did it this way for now.
After that competition is finished I will seek putting up some professional videos to see how well I do on YouTube. Of course If I win the competition they will do everything for me.

Thanks Again.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I have recorded voice overs for animated film using nothing more than a laptop Pentium computer with am M-Audio USB mic and Audacity free audio recording software. We sometimes get into the practice of letting the tools polish our performance rather than polishing it ourselves.

Your voice and song writing have some good polish on them, something like Sony Vegas Pro would be a lot of overkill on the post side of things, though it is nice to have the big boy toys :)

Good luck with the competition! Hope you win!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Very nice I like it .... nice voice and nice lyrics
I will look up some of your others and listen to them as well
Having a hard time finding your youtube account
can you provide a link
talk later

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I like, ^_^ you remind me a little of Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison combined. I agree with the reverb but perhaps it could be used to accentuate certain pieces rather than used all the way through the song. Nice words, lovely voice, good song.

Bless ya!

Michael*McEvan

Dec 23, 2012
Spirit Covenant, I have some thoughts on the psalmist gift of which you obviously have been given. I, too, have been blessed with this wondrous gift and have operated in same gift for over 4 decades. Over time I have learned a few things that I believe you need to be aware of and most importantly to pray about, asking God for the truth concerning this gift you've been given in how He would have you escape the snare of misuse of worship/praise unto Him. There is great controversy surrounding this subject and my motive here in sharing these insights stems from a sense of responsibility in knowing you will need to face these concepts eventually, my hope is that your gift will not become tainted nor prostituted due to the issues I will describe.
When someone who is a gifted psalmist takes sole credit for the spiritual songs they are given saying "MY music" or " the songs I have written", I get an immediate "red flag" also known as "a check in my spirit" and I immediately find myself correcting them. God gave you those songs as a gift, thus give Him the glory. It can seem awkward at first insisting to others who may ask, "Did you write that song?", for you to reveal that the Holy Spirit inspired you, gave it to you, however God leads you when you pray about it,will serve you much better in the long run. If you seek the truth you will be shown how to give God the glory for what can be a most difficult gift in keeping a pure heart and mind in knowing what God approves of and what He does not allow when it comes to worship songs written by the Holy Spirit through you. When you give the gift back to God asking Him to purify your motives bringing the usage of this powerful gift under His authority alone,you will find a greater anointing will follow. Do not misuse the anointing of God, it can become tainted,twisted and used for evil.
You need to be aware of, or simply beware unholy ambition. Unholy ambition is a terrible thing to get snared by, as is the not so subtle self promotion,which is evidenced when we seek attention and praise from men in the sharing of our gift. When you are just starting out, you tend to be super enthusiastic which is normal. Usually the psalmist gift is accompanied by the desire to perform the gift. While you are writing a song of worship to God are you content to worship Him in private,in your closet, with no-one else hearing it but God, forever, if He so ask it, or are you already thinking about "your audience" and how you might perfect it for them to notice you and your gift.
Don't get angry, you know these things have to see the light of day if you are going to have victory over the many problems that will come with being gifted in this way,at this time (a time when musicians and songwriters are revered, literally worshipped and idolized ) here on planet Earth. Satan hates the worship of God and will anything he can to contaminate or destroy this wondrous gift. As a gifted worshipper,as one who is inspired by God to write new songs of worship and praise,you have an important (possible future) responsibility as one who may be called upon to lead others in worship. Leadership comes with a greater judgement in what we represent and stand for or against as it will influence the "little ones" you do not want to lead astray. Do you believe that music written in worship to God, for God, should be made to serve mammon? You must prayerfully consider whether you are even allowed to take back the gift God gave to you,why did He give it, so that you and your brethren could offer it back up to Him in holy worship and praise.When I say take it back I mean this ,it belongs to God ,it is directed to Him it is unto Him you are singing, right? So how can you ever justify taking it back and handing it over to mammon?
Charging a mandatory price for a divine gift given freely to you ( Freely freely, you have received ,freely freely give) is just wrong. There is a change that happens at that point,and those who have spiritual ears can hear the difference.The music once passed through the worldly system of buying and selling,then takes on a counterfeit anointing,those who listen and come into agreement with the worldly system of awards and competition have been blinded to what they are actually doing ,prostituting the most intimate of communion with God available to mankind , our ability and practice of worship.

In seeking to please God in the operations of your gift, you must earnestly desire to be purified by His holy fire, no performance or competition can be more important than to actually obey Him, than to be in His perfect Will in this. The majority will not agree, they will try to justify the Christian Music Industry, and /or the practice of self promotion. Most folks gifted similarly are drawn into this type of thing because it is accepted everywhere,isn't it? No, the path is narrow and there are few that find it. Ask God to reveal whatever unholy ambition you might have, ask Him to help you desire the truth at all cost. This is important. I would be held responsible for you not being given a chance to hear,read,know the truth,so you could reconsider your plans or your dreams of "success" in this area if I stayed silent. Worldly success or God's favor and delight in handling Worship as He intended it . You must choose who you will serve, God or mammon.

Enjoy the gift, give God the glory and share it as He gives you leave to do so. It is all about blessing God first and his people and you will be blessed as a direct result of this. I know from experience that one's own voice can be so beautiful that the lines blur that are to be drawn between why I am singing and playing,whether singing prophetic songs,new songs,older favorites original or not, is it to get the incredible high as the resonance and reverberation surges through the fiber of my very being, and hearing the soaring greatness as I perform flawlessly even/especially when alone with God something that I do for Him or me? I do not know if there is proof of this,perhaps some of the scholars will know better than me,wasn't Satan when still named Lucifer in charge of the worship in heaven when he became so full of himself? Some food for thought.

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
Angelina said:
I like, ^_^ you remind me a little of Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison combined. I agree with the reverb but perhaps it could be used to accentuate certain pieces rather than used all the way through the song. Nice words, lovely voice, good song.

Bless ya!
Thank you Angelina
Your words are an inspiration and a blessing.

Michael*McEvan said:
Spirit Covenant, I have some thoughts on the psalmist gift of which you obviously have been given. I, too, have been blessed with this wondrous gift and have operated in same gift for over 4 decades. Over time I have learned a few things that I believe you need to be aware of and most importantly to pray about, asking God for the truth concerning this gift you've been given in how He would have you escape the snare of misuse of worship/praise unto Him. There is great controversy surrounding this subject and my motive here in sharing these insights stems from a sense of responsibility in knowing you will need to face these concepts eventually, my hope is that your gift will not become tainted nor prostituted due to the issues I will describe.
When someone who is a gifted psalmist takes sole credit for the spiritual songs they are given saying "MY music" or " the songs I have written", I get an immediate "red flag" also known as "a check in my spirit" and I immediately find myself correcting them. God gave you those songs as a gift, thus give Him the glory. It can seem awkward at first insisting to others who may ask, "Did you write that song?", for you to reveal that the Holy Spirit inspired you, gave it to you, however God leads you when you pray about it,will serve you much better in the long run. If you seek the truth you will be shown how to give God the glory for what can be a most difficult gift in keeping a pure heart and mind in knowing what God approves of and what He does not allow when it comes to worship songs written by the Holy Spirit through you. When you give the gift back to God asking Him to purify your motives bringing the usage of this powerful gift under His authority alone,you will find a greater anointing will follow. Do not misuse the anointing of God, it can become tainted,twisted and used for evil.
You need to be aware of, or simply beware unholy ambition. Unholy ambition is a terrible thing to get snared by, as is the not so subtle self promotion,which is evidenced when we seek attention and praise from men in the sharing of our gift. When you are just starting out, you tend to be super enthusiastic which is normal. Usually the psalmist gift is accompanied by the desire to perform the gift. While you are writing a song of worship to God are you content to worship Him in private,in your closet, with no-one else hearing it but God, forever, if He so ask it, or are you already thinking about "your audience" and how you might perfect it for them to notice you and your gift.
Don't get angry, you know these things have to see the light of day if you are going to have victory over the many problems that will come with being gifted in this way,at this time (a time when musicians and songwriters are revered, literally worshipped and idolized ) here on planet Earth. Satan hates the worship of God and will anything he can to contaminate or destroy this wondrous gift. As a gifted worshipper,as one who is inspired by God to write new songs of worship and praise,you have an important (possible future) responsibility as one who may be called upon to lead others in worship. Leadership comes with a greater judgement in what we represent and stand for or against as it will influence the "little ones" you do not want to lead astray. Do you believe that music written in worship to God, for God, should be made to serve mammon? You must prayerfully consider whether you are even allowed to take back the gift God gave to you,why did He give it, so that you and your brethren could offer it back up to Him in holy worship and praise.When I say take it back I mean this ,it belongs to God ,it is directed to Him it is unto Him you are singing, right? So how can you ever justify taking it back and handing it over to mammon?
Charging a mandatory price for a divine gift given freely to you ( Freely freely, you have received ,freely freely give) is just wrong. There is a change that happens at that point,and those who have spiritual ears can hear the difference.The music once passed through the worldly system of buying and selling,then takes on a counterfeit anointing,those who listen and come into agreement with the worldly system of awards and competition have been blinded to what they are actually doing ,prostituting the most intimate of communion with God available to mankind , our ability and practice of worship.

In seeking to please God in the operations of your gift, you must earnestly desire to be purified by His holy fire, no performance or competition can be more important than to actually obey Him, than to be in His perfect Will in this. The majority will not agree, they will try to justify the Christian Music Industry, and /or the practice of self promotion. Most folks gifted similarly are drawn into this type of thing because it is accepted everywhere,isn't it? No, the path is narrow and there are few that find it. Ask God to reveal whatever unholy ambition you might have, ask Him to help you desire the truth at all cost. This is important. I would be held responsible for you not being given a chance to hear,read,know the truth,so you could reconsider your plans or your dreams of "success" in this area if I stayed silent. Worldly success or God's favor and delight in handling Worship as He intended it . You must choose who you will serve, God or mammon.

Enjoy the gift, give God the glory and share it as He gives you leave to do so. It is all about blessing God first and his people and you will be blessed as a direct result of this. I know from experience that one's own voice can be so beautiful that the lines blur that are to be drawn between why I am singing and playing,whether singing prophetic songs,new songs,older favorites original or not, is it to get the incredible high as the resonance and reverberation surges through the fiber of my very being, and hearing the soaring greatness as I perform flawlessly even/especially when alone with God something that I do for Him or me? I do not know if there is proof of this,perhaps some of the scholars will know better than me,wasn't Satan when still named Lucifer in charge of the worship in heaven when he became so full of himself? Some food for thought.
Good Advise Michael*McEvan

I do understand.

Michael*McEvan

Dec 23, 2012
Great! Splendid! I realized that my response to your posting might cause some to think I'd missed your point, however, I had faith that you would truly appreciate and hopefully be armored , more equipped if I went ahead with what I felt led to share. Anyone with a true 'psalmist's"gift can appreciate the type of trials that inherently accompany the gift itself. Balance is so important, do you agree? My instrument of choice is a 12 string guitar.BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed your voice and the song.Praise the Father of Light from whom all gifts come! I had the volume down so the reverb wasn't as noticeable.May you continue to co-create with His Holy Spirit forever!

A fun side note: One of my sons, 22 and the youngest of 4, came to me for the unburdening of his soul in repentance yestereve. While writing to you earlier in the day I was moved to ask God to make certain I did not become shutdown, unbalanced or extreme in my serious convictions that it might be as though I was burying the gift of song He gave me. As parents of older children are aware ,it is far more difficult to guide them skillfully sometimes especially when they are trying so hard to "be grown-up" or to figure it out for themselves.It is rare when they decide they need Dad's or Mom's help.Needless to say I was so excited to see him weep in godly sorrow for what he'd realized he wasn't doing, and saw that God was dealing with him concerning some things I'd been shown were on God's 'lesson plan' for our boy. Not wanting to get in God's way or offer up a 'lecture' style pep talk nor did I want to 'break the mood' by trying to 'fix the owie' as us parents are want to do, I knew to say the wrong thing could inadvertently disrupt the work the Holy Spirit was doing. " Be Still and know that I am God" time.
I used to sing the children to sleep every night when they were all younger, giving me a chance to practice the songs God had given me on my guitar. It was rare they would last through the 2nd song, a surefire way to ease them into blessed sleep. Ok, so last night I suddenly felt inspired to simply start singing the lyrics of a few songs that came to mind that I believed would help him understand the attitude of heart and mind to align with,sung as a prayer that is specific in focus, asking him, "Remember this song? I used to sing this to you when you were little?" I felt a little rusty, no guitar to help guide my rusty pipes through the notes,but to retrieve it from the other room could have broken the moment. His face as he listened carefully to the lyrics ,finally old enough to truly understand the resonant cry of a repentant heart towards God, wow, I once again had reason to give thanks again to the Creator God for His creative gift of song. Wonderful Counselor reside in us and use us in every way you can to bind up the broken hearted by your Holy Spirit.

Wonderment is something I am glad we will forever be blessed with as we partake of the promises of God!

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
BiggAndyy said:
I have recorded voice overs for animated film using nothing more than a laptop Pentium computer with am M-Audio USB mic and Audacity free audio recording software. We sometimes get into the practice of letting the tools polish our performance rather than polishing it ourselves.

Your voice and song writing have some good polish on them, something like Sony Vegas Pro would be a lot of overkill on the post side of things, though it is nice to have the big boy toys :)

Good luck with the competition! Hope you win!
I meant to get back to you on this post BiggAndyy

What is a voice over? I have heard the term before but realized that I don't know what it means.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
It can be done several ways...

1) Music track recorded first.
2) Voice track next.
3) Mixdown the music and voice onto one track.
4) Pantomime and lip sync the singing and instrument playing on video.

Second way is to record music and lyrics at one time, essentially combining 1,2, and 3 into one step then performing Step 4.

Spirit Covenant

Nov 5, 2012
BiggAndyy said:
It can be done several ways...

1) Music track recorded first.
2) Voice track next.
3) Mixdown the music and voice onto one track.
4) Pantomime and lip sync the singing and instrument playing on video.

Second way is to record music and lyrics at one time, essentially combining 1,2, and 3 into one step then performing Step 4.
OK Thanks BiggAndyy