What do you think qualifies one to be one of Christ's disciples?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A. There is one Gospel, not two.

B. Grace was present in the OT. Paul makes this very clear in Romans 4. Grace is not a new invention in the NT. Grace has always come to those who had faith...even in the OT. The means by which that grace has been provided is Christ....but its a great error to suggest that grace is absent from the OT.

C. So baptism is not a part of becoming a disciple? Seems to me that Paul understood baptism to be a part of a person's response to the Gospel of Christ:

“Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?” (Romans 6:3, NIV84)

“having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.” (Colossians 2:12, NIV84)

“for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” (Galatians 3:27, NIV84)
And that is pretty much it

This bit

Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

His cup was His suffering His baptism was to death to be raised up again to everlasting life.

Reactions: lforrest

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
A. There is one Gospel, not two.

B. Grace was present in the OT. Paul makes this very clear in Romans 4. Grace is not a new invention in the NT. Grace has always come to those who had faith...even in the OT. The means by which that grace has been provided is Christ....but its a great error to suggest that grace is absent from the OT.

C. So baptism is not a part of becoming a disciple? Seems to me that Paul understood baptism to be a part of a person's response to the Gospel of Christ:

“Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?” (Romans 6:3, NIV84)

“having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.” (Colossians 2:12, NIV84)

“for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” (Galatians 3:27, NIV84)
There were two gospels, two. This is clearly shown in my post about the "Wedding' Thread below.

One was the gospel of the kingdom in which Jesus was to set up the kingdom that God promised the JEW. All a Jew had to do was to acknowledge that Jesus was the Jew's Messiah and King. Under this gospel a Gentile could be save THROUGH a Jew. It should be noted that Jesus never rescinded the Law of Moses If you think He did then show the scripture where He rescind it. As late as Acts 21:20 James was still teaching the Jews that they were under the Law. If a person can not see that James was still teaching under law then that person has to explain why the believing Jew were mad at Paul for what he was teaching and not James.

The one above was replaced by Jesus after Israel rejected Jesus. Jesus sent Paul to preach a gospel of grace that had been hidden it God. Paul states that his gospel was HIDDEN in God in several places but for the religious they just rationalize that it wasn't making Paul, the one sent by Jesus, to be a liar.

Deut 29:24-29
24 All nations would say,'Why has the Lord done so to this land? What does the heat of this great anger mean?'
25 Then people would say: 'Because they have forsaken the covenant of the Lord God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt;
26 for they went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods that they did not know and that He had not given to them.
27 Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against this land, to bring on it every curse that is written in this book.
28 And the Lord uprooted them from their land in anger, in wrath, and in great indignation, and cast them into another land, as it is this day.'

29 "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
NKJV

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
There were two gospels, two. This is clearly shown in my post about the "Wedding' Thread below.

One was the gospel of the kingdom in which Jesus was to set up the kingdom that God promised the JEW. All a Jew had to do was to acknowledge that Jesus was the Jew's Messiah and King. Under this gospel a Gentile could be save THROUGH a Jew. It should be noted that Jesus never rescinded the Law of Moses If you think He did then show the scripture where He rescind it. As late as Acts 21:20 James was still teaching the Jews that they were under the Law. If a person can not see that James was still teaching under law then that person has to explain why the believing Jew were mad at Paul for what he was teaching and not James.

The one above was replaced by Jesus after Israel rejected Jesus. Jesus sent Paul to preach a gospel of grace that had been hidden it God. Paul states that his gospel was HIDDEN in God in several places but for the religious they just rationalize that it wasn't making Paul, the one sent by Jesus, to be a liar.

24 All nations would say,'Why has the Lord done so to this land? What does the heat of this great anger mean?'
25 Then people would say: 'Because they have forsaken the covenant of the Lord God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt;
26 for they went and served other gods and worshiped them, gods that they did not know and that He had not given to them.
27 Then the anger of the Lord was aroused against this land, to bring on it every curse that is written in this book.
28 And the Lord uprooted them from their land in anger, in wrath, and in great indignation, and cast them into another land, as it is this day.'

29 "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
NKJV
What was hidden was the fact that gentiles would be joint heirs with the Jews. People tend to confuse this with fact that gentiles would be receiving joint blessings with the Jews. Being joint heirs had to be a secret because this would have given Jews a perfectly good reason to reject Jesus' message. Paul then points out to the gentiles being converted that they too will lose out if they think they can follow their Jewish brethren and be disobedient. There is only one gospel. There isn't one for Jews and one for Gentiles. The gospel is for the Jews first then the gentiles. If anyone thinks that God tells one that it is an abomination to eat pork and shellfish while telling another that it is perfectly okay, then they are worshipping a capricious god. If anyone thinks Peter told his gentile brethren to pass their pork to him while he sat there and feasted on it himself, they're insane.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
And that is pretty much it

This bit

Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

His cup was His suffering His baptism was to death to be raised up again to everlasting life.
I dont think the verses I quoted are referring to being "baptized" in suffering. I think they are referring to water and the moment a person surrendered their life to Christ. The book of Acts shows us clearly that all new believers were immersed and It a simple fact that the early church immersed every new believer as part of their initiation into the life of the church. To say water baptism is irrelevant, a "work" contrary to grace, or disconnected from new birth is a new idea that didn't exist for the first 1500 years of church history.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:

NKJV
These are all your assumptions that has caused you to contrive a new gospel that is NEVER taught in the NT. There is ONE gospel and Paul actually went to the "pillars" prior to his preaching of his Gospel to make sure he was not "running in vain." They gave him the right hand of fellowship and Paul actually REBUKED Peter for his hypocrisy....which really wasn't hypocrisy if there are two Gospels as you suggest.

There are not two Gospels. There is ONE Gospel proclaimed in the NT and Paul declares it to be both for "the Jew and also the Greek." Paul declares that if ANY OTHER GOSPEL is preached then that person should be eternally condemned. To suggest Peter preached a different Gospel implies that he was preaching against the grace and opposed to the work of the cross. This is utter nonsense and all of this is derived as a means to reconcile a couple verses you dont understand.

In sum, creating an entirely new lens and Gospel because you cannot reconcile a couple passages in your own mind is a horrific abuse of Scripture that pits Peter vs Paul and suggests that 40 percent of the NT is not only meaningless, but is actually contrary to what Christians are supposed to believe. This is a horrific distortion and twisting of the Bible and the message of the Church for 2000 years.

Reactions: tabletalk

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
shnarkle said:
What was hidden was the fact that gentiles would be joint heirs with the Jews. People tend to confuse this with fact that gentiles would be receiving joint blessings with the Jews. Being joint heirs had to be a secret because this would have given Jews a perfectly good reason to reject Jesus' message. Paul then points out to the gentiles being converted that they too will lose out if they think they can follow their Jewish brethren and be disobedient. There is only one gospel. There isn't one for Jews and one for Gentiles. The gospel is for the Jews first then the gentiles. If anyone thinks that God tells one that it is an abomination to eat pork and shellfish while telling another that it is perfectly okay, then they are worshipping a capricious god. If anyone thinks Peter told his gentile brethren to pass their pork to him while he sat there and feasted on it himself, they're insane.
Well put, shnarkle.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
These are all your assumptions that has caused you to contrive a new gospel that is NEVER taught in the NT. There is ONE gospel and Paul actually went to the "pillars" prior to his preaching of his Gospel to make sure he was not "running in vain." They gave him the right hand of fellowship and Paul actually REBUKED Peter for his hypocrisy....which really wasn't hypocrisy if there are two Gospels as you suggest.

There are not two Gospels. There is ONE Gospel proclaimed in the NT and Paul declares it to be both for "the Jew and also the Greek." Paul declares that if ANY OTHER GOSPEL is preached then that person should be eternally condemned. To suggest Peter preached a different Gospel implies that he was preaching against the grace and opposed to the work of the cross. This is utter nonsense and all of this is derived as a means to reconcile a couple verses you dont understand.

In sum, creating an entirely new lens and Gospel because you cannot reconcile a couple passages in your own mind is a horrific abuse of Scripture that pits Peter vs Paul and suggests that 40 percent of the NT is not only meaningless, but is actually contrary to what Christians are supposed to believe. This is a horrific distortion and twisting of the Bible and the message of the Church for 2000 years.
And your opinion is just an assumption that is not supported by scriptures.. I see that there is no room for a discussion between us.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i dunno, seems like you are having a pretty decent discussion about it right now. The Gospel was surely taken two different ways by the two camps, Jew and Gentile, so i could see how maybe bringing out the differences in povs might be illuminating.

I'd be curious to hear a clearer distinction of them, say by defining them maybe, being as how it seems pretty hard to come up with a single def of "Gospel" that is universally accepted.
Wormwood said:
I dont think the verses I quoted are referring to being "baptized" in suffering. I think they are referring to water and the moment a person surrendered their life to Christ. The book of Acts shows us clearly that all new believers were immersed and It a simple fact that the early church immersed every new believer as part of their initiation into the life of the church. To say water baptism is irrelevant, a "work" contrary to grace, or disconnected from new birth is a new idea that didn't exist for the first 1500 years of church history.
not to be argumentative, but not every new believer NT was ritually baptized, including Paul. There are better concepts for the term "baptism" than the ritual one we currently hold imo.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
i dunno, seems like you are having a pretty decent discussion about it right now. The Gospel was surely taken two different ways by the two camps, Jew and Gentile, so i could see how maybe bringing out the differences in povs might be illuminating.

I'd be curious to hear a clearer distinction of them, say by defining them maybe, being as how it seems pretty hard to come up with a single def of "Gospel" that is universally accepted.
not to be argumentative, but not every new believer NT was ritually baptized, including Paul. There are better concepts for the term "baptism" than the ritual one we currently hold imo.
I agree bbyrd, I think there is a good discussion going on. Unfortunately, I have had this discussion with H Richard before, and some of his responses and views on the NT and its inaccuracy and conflicting messages are very troublesome to my pov.

How do you know not every new believer was baptized? I think it is a great error to make an argument from silence. Besides, Paul was baptized.

““Then he said: ‘The God of our fathers has chosen you to know his will and to see the Righteous One and to hear words from his mouth. You will be his witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.’” (Acts 22:14–16, NIV84)
Moreover, nowhere in the NT do we see baptism spoken of as a "ritual." There is nothing indicating it was symbolic or merely a routine that had no real significance. Rather we see texts such as the one above where Ananias indicates that Paul's sins would be "washed away" in baptism. Also, Peter declares the same when he says,

“Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2:38, NIV84)
Now obviously, it is the blood of Jesus that washes our sins. Yet is seems very apparent in the NT that early Christians understood their baptism as the MOMENT when this grace was applied to their lives. In essence, I believe baptism is something like what many understand today as the "sinners prayer." It is our act of surrender and the moment when God promises to cleanse us and grant us the Holy Spirit. We read nothing in the NT of praying a "sinners prayer" but we do see many many times people called to submit to baptism as their response to the Gospel and plea to God for cleansing. Peter also says...

“and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.” (1 Peter 3:21–22, NIV84)
So we see very explicit texts on the issue. When people who are seeking salvation ask, "What shall we do?" The response is not "Pray this prayer" or "just believe in your heart and thats all." No, the response is, "Repent and be baptized." Ananias tells Paul that he should be baptized to "wash your sins away." Peter declares that "baptism now saves you....through the resurrection of Jesus Christ." Multiple other texts could be referenced. My point is simply that none of these texts say, "Baptism SYMBOLIZES your cleansing" or that "Baptism is a ritual to remind you of something that already happened." No, the clear implication here is that God has called believers to become disciples through faith and baptism and that IN baptism we receive the promise of cleansing and the Holy Spirit through our faith in the cross of Christ.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and the Holy Spirit
not quiet true, the holy sprit is given when one believes.

Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Wormwood said:
...My point is simply that none of these texts say, "Baptism SYMBOLIZES your cleansing" or that "Baptism is a ritual to remind you of something that already happened."
“and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also"
so don't get me wrong here, but it seems that the water is just a symbol of the baptism that saves. The actual baptism is required, so imo there is a valid argument to be made that some or many who are ritually "baptized" in water never partook of the actual baptism, although i have never met or heard of anyone getting ritually baptized from peer pressure or social climbing or whatever, but surely that happens. On the flip side, there must surely be those who undergo this actual baptism--who iow accept Grace, and grasp that no amount of penance is sufficient; actually a very hard thing to do imo--who do not get water baptized.

(And further, there is a pretty simple way to find out if you have accepted Grace, because you will exhibit Grace, at least in some measure; although that can be faked, too, i guess, but you will def be "growing in Grace." The reaction to an apology or an offer of forgiveness is pretty telling, imo; if i apologize for something and get shredded because they sense weakness, well then i don't really care if they got "baptized" and then "rebaptized" twice, in water, so what. Unsolicited offers of forgiveness are different, as they can be offered from an impure heart; but if i cannot sincerely apologize, i submit that i am not baptized)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
so don't get me wrong here, but it seems that the water is just a symbol of the baptism that saves. The actual baptism is required, so imo there is a valid argument to be made that some or many who are ritually "baptized" in water never partook of the actual baptism, although i have never met or heard of anyone getting ritually baptized from peer pressure or social climbing or whatever, but surely that happens. On the flip side, there must surely be those who undergo this actual baptism--who iow accept Grace, and grasp that no amount of penance is sufficient; actually a very hard thing to do imo--who do not get water baptized.

(And further, there is a pretty simple way to find out if you have accepted Grace, because you will exhibit Grace, at least in some measure; although that can be faked, too, i guess, but you will def be "growing in Grace." The reaction to an apology or an offer of forgiveness is pretty telling, imo; if i apologize for something and get shredded because they sense weakness, well then i don't really care if they got "baptized" and then "rebaptized" twice, in water, so what. Unsolicited offers of forgiveness are different, as they can be offered from an impure heart; but if i cannot sincerely apologize, i submit that i am not baptized)

You need to look at the context of that 1 Peter passage. Peter is saying the water of the flood in Noah's day symbolizes the baptism that now saves you. In other words, the waters of the flood that purged the world of sin "symbolizes" the present-day waters of baptism that now save you from your sin. It is not saying baptism is a symbol. It is saying Noah's flood symbolizes the saving power of baptism. This is not referring to a "spiritual" baptism as it is clearly referencing water.

Of course there are people that are dunked in water who are not "baptized" in the biblical sense. As 1 Peter 3 says, this baptism is done as a plea to God for a clean conscience. If a person is not crying out to God for cleansing through faith in Christ, then it isn't a "baptism." I would never suggest that merely taking a bath saves a person. Yet biblical faith demands a response. According to the NT, that response is to be repentance and baptism. When a person believes or is "cut to the heart" by the message of Christ, they are called to respond to it. God commands people to respond through repentance and baptism. So, faith with no response is meaningless as so is baptism with no faith.

IMO, the problem with your "showing grace" analogy is that is ignores the clear biblical mandate to respond to the Gospel through baptism. Who are we to say that baptism is unnecessary? Jesus said that we are to make disciples by going, baptizing and teaching all he commanded. Is it for us to say, "Lord, as long as they act in kindness after we tell them the Gospel, is it okay if we just ignore the whole baptism command?" To me, this is like saying, "Does a person really have to repent of their sin as long as they are kind to others?" I just dont think we should determine based on our own assessment of things what is necessary and what is not. Do I believe people were not baptize are in heaven? Yes. Does this mean that I believe we should ignore the biblical mandate to baptize new disciples or not teach them that in baptism God promises to wash them, give them the Spirit and clothe them in Christ? No. The NT clearly teaches it and I am committed to following the Scriptures rather than a tradition started in the 1500s by Ulrich Zwingli that water baptism was meaningless and a work. I think anyone who sees a biblical command and ignores it because they do not feel it is necessary really has to rethink what it means to call Jesus, "Lord."

Reactions: bbyrd009

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H. Richard said:

NKJV
"There were two gospels, two." How about three? In Galations 3: "8 And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.”[SIZE=.625em][d][/SIZE] 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Wormwood said:
You need to look at the context of that 1 Peter passage. Peter is saying the water of the flood in Noah's day symbolizes the baptism that now saves you. In other words, the waters of the flood that purged the world of sin "symbolizes" the present-day waters of baptism that now save you from your sin. It is not saying baptism is a symbol. It is saying Noah's flood symbolizes the saving power of baptism. This is not referring to a "spiritual" baptism as it is clearly referencing water.

Of course there are people that are dunked in water who are not "baptized" in the biblical sense. As 1 Peter 3 says, this baptism is done as a plea to God for a clean conscience. If a person is not crying out to God for cleansing through faith in Christ, then it isn't a "baptism." I would never suggest that merely taking a bath saves a person. Yet biblical faith demands a response. According to the NT, that response is to be repentance and baptism. When a person believes or is "cut to the heart" by the message of Christ, they are called to respond to it. God commands people to respond through repentance and baptism. So, faith with no response is meaningless as so is baptism with no faith.

IMO, the problem with your "showing grace" analogy is that is ignores the clear biblical mandate to respond to the Gospel through baptism. Who are we to say that baptism is unnecessary? Jesus said that we are to make disciples by going, baptizing and teaching all he commanded. Is it for us to say, "Lord, as long as they act in kindness after we tell them the Gospel, is it okay if we just ignore the whole baptism command?" To me, this is like saying, "Does a person really have to repent of their sin as long as they are kind to others?" I just dont think we should determine based on our own assessment of things what is necessary and what is not. Do I believe people were not baptize are in heaven? Yes. Does this mean that I believe we should ignore the biblical mandate to baptize new disciples or not teach them that in baptism God promises to wash them, give them the Spirit and clothe them in Christ? No. The NT clearly teaches it and I am committed to following the Scriptures rather than a tradition started in the 1500s by Ulrich Zwingli that water baptism was meaningless and a work. I think anyone who sees a biblical command and ignores it because they do not feel it is necessary really has to rethink what it means to call Jesus, "Lord."
so, i can't disagree with any of that, but i would like to expand on it. The passage

27 The man who is uncircumcised physically but who keeps the Law will condemn you who break the Law, even though you have the written Law and circumcision.

comes to mind, even if many would insist that the distinction there is Jew/Gentile only. And there are several, many passages that reinforce the concept. So, although i have a different concept of "people in heaven" than you do--if you believe that souls are going to heaven only after they physically die--a central point might be that you admit to some attaining heaven who have not been baptized in water, which we can witness that many Christians would argue with, so this is almost like a marginal concession, or an afterthought, when imo it should be much more central.

And, we have many or most Christians who have done the water part, but could not describe any knowledge or experience of the other two baptisms, although Pentecostals make a pretty good show of the spirit one--if one accepts glossololia as spirit baptism anyway. But the baptism of fire, who can witness? Who even gets a sermon on these concepts? I haven't heard one yet, not in 40+ years. So i see the same thing going on as with the foundation being re-layed, over and over; Christianity is turned into discussing sin and death--or death and sin, your choice--even as half or more of the Book is made spiritually unavailable to a "baptized" Christian immediately, as they are encouraged to disregard the passages that would most allow them to grow in Grace--the lessons of Cain, Esau, two men in a bed, on and on--because they now apply to the "unsaved."

In the Early Church, water baptism literally marked a person as "other" to the Jews, and no doubt even predicated many deaths. Now, the one baptized considers the unbaptized "other," even as they advocate and finance the deaths of others. So to me, it has become chiefly--although not wholly--associated with the oppressors, and used as a yardstick to judge others, at least by the Pharisees and Sadducees of Christianity, many or most of whom would not be as generous as yourself, at least it seems to me.

So while i cannot disagree with your premise, i am left with no practical way to advise a new believer where they may go and even carry out the ritual, unless they are also willing to be associated with oppression, speaking broadly. Of course there are still bathtubs and ponds, and it is supposed to be about the new believer, but it is also a public profession, about who others will associate them with; and who could argue that 99%+ of these newly baptized would not be immediately enveloped in the arms of a church of penance, a system of works, iow, whereby "baptism" has become another box to tick on the way to being saved, that day, and the most important lessons of Scripture spiritually removed from them? Even if by the most well-meaning people?

So, when water baptism has changed from making one "rejected by the world" to "accepted by the world," i am put in the disgusting position of recommending that a new believer either get baptized in secret, or determining whether their baptizer has, what, signed a Contract for Jesus, i guess. By all means, get water baptized to cleanse you of your past sins, that you cannot practically ask forgiveness for, from those you sinned against--and then run, as fast as you can, from the one who baptized you?

Of course i am being dramatic there, and there are many unaffiliated churches now where Grace is breaking out; but the new Christian is nonetheless going to be associated with other "Christians" now, and as sad as i am to say it, and as much as i love Christ, when someone new to me volunteers (too quickly) first thing that they are a Christian, experience has taught me to be cautious with that person; red flags go up, iow. (Practically speaking, just as of lately, the last 5 years or so, i take it as a message from God that i am going to get screwed by this person, and to be prepared to not react as i have in the past; not to distance myself from them, necessarily)

Yes, ritual water baptism is meaningful. Have someone who can witness the baptism of fire to your satisfaction perform it.
And while i would not completely disqualify someone who signed a
501 (6)
c3 (6)
[1023 (6)], because

36 But now if you have a purse, take it...

i would certainly consider that a bonus.

note to any new seekers who wander across this post; you are not where i am, spiritually speaking, and none of this effectively applies to you, who cannot be expected to know all this at your current stage. Go and get water baptized, by whomever you are led to, and recognize that you are going to find what you seek, even in Christianity, even in the most legalistic church. If you are seeking a quick fix, and a way to feel superior to other people, you are prolly in the right place. If you seek further, you are also still likely in the right place, at least until you are led to find a new Right Pastor, which in my experience means when you don't wanna leave, you maybe should, and vice-versa. It is what is in your heart that matters. It is even conceivable that you are closer to your "first love" than i am, and i am the one you should be running from. "The old wine is better, they say."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
you do well to baptize, imo; but develop the lesson that the new believer will need, sorely, about how they are going to be mentally tortured for their past sins anyway. Accepting forgiveness is not always easy, especially imo when couched in such religious gobbledy-gook as it is today, rather than the simple understanding that mature people forgive immature people, just like a parent forgives a favored two year old, terrible twos and all.

Be mature and forgive yourself, otherwise your shame will cause you to shame others, rather than forgive them. Witness the shame being manifested--like, Big-Bang style, a joke to us--even in your chosen congregation. Understand that this may be the work of some years for you, and that you can even die still shaming your brethren, or your children, thinking that being critical of them is helping them. Don't be like me, iow. :) i justify this by saying i don't do it IRL, and forums are meant for this, but i dunno. I come from an extremely codependent family, and that Critique worm is still alive in me.

If you have done something that you cannot forgive yourself for, even after baptism, by all means go talk to a priest, or even a stranger, if you cannot talk to your pastor about it. Write a letter to God and mail it to Jerusalem. It will make it to the Wall of the temple, they have a bin for them. The worm dies really hard for some people; and for many people, not at all. Water baptism is great, but it is a beginning, not an ending, as so many are led to believe. Prepare for the baptism of fire.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
you do well to baptize, imo; but develop the lesson that the new believer will need, sorely, about how they are going to be mentally tortured for their past sins anyway. Accepting forgiveness is not always easy, especially imo when couched in such religious gobbledy-gook as it is today, rather than the simple understanding that mature people forgive immature people, just like a parent forgives a favored two year old, terrible twos and all.

Be mature and forgive yourself, otherwise your shame will cause you to shame others, rather than forgive them. Witness the shame being manifested--like, Big-Bang style, a joke to us--even in your chosen congregation. Understand that this may be the work of some years for you, and that you can even die still shaming your brethren, or your children, thinking that being critical of them is helping them. Don't be like me, iow. :) i justify this by saying i don't do it IRL, and forums are meant for this, but i dunno. I come from an extremely codependent family, and that Critique worm is still alive in me.

If you have done something that you cannot forgive yourself for, even after baptism, by all means go talk to a priest, or even a stranger, if you cannot talk to your pastor about it. Write a letter to God and mail it to Jerusalem. It will make it to the Wall of the temple, they have a bin for them. The worm dies really hard for some people; and for many people, not at all. Water baptism is great, but it is a beginning, not an ending, as so many are led to believe. Prepare for the baptism of fire.
I enjoy reading what you have to say, but I have never understood the phrase "forgive yourself". I kinda doubt it is a principle of Scripture, so maybe it is a psychological thing for better self esteem? I'm sure I have the "old nature (man)" and the "new creation" within me, so maybe one says to the other: I forgive you. Not sure how to think of that principal.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"forgive yourself".
Actually we do need to, guilt is the enemies greatest weapon, its hard to stand ifn front of Christ and not want to perfect ones self, so when you get it wrong you get "guilty", so you needt to accept that you are what you are

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

So many times teh Lord has asked me" whay are you beating yourself Up??" bit like the religious who walk down teh road whiping there flesh into obedience or te hreligious who spend their lives on mountain tops, wearing sackcloth eating cold broth amd sleeping on wooden beds with matreeses made of straw all in the crazy idea that they can actualy force there flesh into submission. Doesnt work, thats why we have Jesus.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
ha well i guess that can be taken too far, too, but there is much to be said for a season in the wilderness, especially for those as connected to the world as we are imo. I am minded of the guy on some survivor show recently who could not make it through the first day, the black guy? I heard it second hand, so i'm not sure here, but my impression was that the fear is what got him? Fear of nothing? And if the argument is that a bear might have got him, and his fear was justified, then my reply would be that even alone in a locked cabin, without distractions, he would likely have been quite uncomfortable, at least. By the third day he likely would have been in a panic, or at least i was. The feeling of withdrawal was extreme. Experiences like this--or for that matter, anything that changes ones pov--can be quite useful for changing your mind, imo.
tabletalk said:
I enjoy reading what you have to say, but I have never understood the phrase "forgive yourself". I kinda doubt it is a principle of Scripture, so maybe it is a psychological thing for better self esteem? I'm sure I have the "old nature (man)" and the "new creation" within me, so maybe one says to the other: I forgive you. Not sure how to think of that principal.
hmm. Well, that is a good point, it isn't put so directly in Scripture, i guess. Might speak to being double-minded, perhaps. I'm not a fan of psychology, but we use those terms to discuss this, i guess; after all, the word "ego" is not in the Book, but i think there is a pretty valid argument to be made that ego is involved there, with forgiveness, especially accepting forgiveness--one must first recognize that they are in the wrong some kind of way. And "You eat, and wipe your mouth, and say that you have done nothing wrong."

And we have the passage of the man forgiven a large debt, who then went and oppressed his debtor over a pittance. One could argue that he accepted forgiveness easily enough, lol, so maybe "accepting forgiveness" or even "forgiving yourself" is not the best way to put that--but again that is possibly because our ego does not think it needs forgiveness, yet nonetheless we can witness that those tortured by some past deed torture others, and imo the baptism is meant to address this.

So a couple classes on forgiving those who have committed past sins upon one might be in order before baptism, and it may be that people are getting ritually baptized who are holding on to some past sin done upon them--which, now that i think about it, i was--simply out of ignorance, and the fact that, pre-baptism, the focus is so much upon them that this aspect is overlooked. I don't recall anyone advising me to first examine my heart and forgive anyone whose sin i was still holding against them, but in my mental state at the time i quite likely would have breezed over that part anyway, and essentially not even heard them. Yet i was nowhere near forgiving some past debtors at the time.

If someone had teased out this past hurt i was holding onto at the time, and told me that i must find forgiveness for the debtor or i could not get baptized, or should not or whatever, my path in life would prolly have been quite different, lol. As it was, it took me like 30-35 years to do this. Twenty years of that shooting dope. So, you find what you seek, and picking these scabs is not something we generally seek to do, but we have a definition of "forgive others" in the church that i suspect gives short-shrift to these past hurts, as we advise new believers to get baptized to be forgiven, and then start forgiving others, forgive everyone in the future iow, from now on, overlooking that we have areas of unforgiveness in our past that we carry, and that define us in a way. Everyone--i think--has to forgive their parents, etc.

We can also witness the phenomenon of having to mentally forgive someone more than once, multiple times, for the same past offense; if you have earnestly forgiven them once, why does it come up again? So, while it is put as "forgive yourself," it might actually be about recognizing that ones default on this concept is "condemning others," that past debtor is considered "condemned" in ones mind, as we step into the water to be washed/forgiven of all of our past sins. And since it/they are buried, in a sense, in our past, it is easy to push it away if it even comes to mind--which it surely will--and be holding a "oh him; ya, to hell with him, dismissed" attitude, even as we seek baptism.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
another thing we can witness, about ourselves, our egos, is that while it is understandable why ones ego might prevent them from accepting forgiveness, if they feel they have done nothing wrong, you would think that forgiving others would feed the ego in that case, and yet it does not. We perceive forgiveness as a transaction, and while a transaction may arise from forgiveness, we know that forgiveness should not be dependent upon the transaction--iow we can acknowledge that one should forgive others for their own peace, regardless of whether the forgiveness is acknowledged/reciprocated.

Reactions: tabletalk