What Does "God Is Love" Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 3 persons of the Godhead who loved each other in eternity past.

I present my interpretation of truth for others to examine. I am not an ultimate arbiter of truth as so many seem to estimate of themselves.

Thank you for granting me the right to be mistaken.

"There are 3 persons of the Godhead who loved each other in eternity past."
A truth that cannot be denied! Amen. And, as God is Creator, the Godhead also has countless angels glorifying Him in heaven.

"Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne and the living creatures and the elders; and the number of them was myriads of myriads, and thousands of thousands,"
Rev. 5:11

"Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth."
Luke 15:10

This joy is "in the presence of the angels" I used to think it was the angels rejoicing but...it has to be the Godhead as the rejoicing is not said to be coming from the angels...just an off the cuff thought :)

"Thank you for granting me the right to be mistaken."
:D

Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother @amadeus the remarks before the quote in post #38 were meant for a different post. They have been edited out. Sorry for the mix-up. :)

Reactions: amadeus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, as God is Creator, the Godhead also has countless angels glorifying Him in heaven.
Agreed, but as they are created beings, the Godhead was alone to itself before them, and love dwelt among the Persons of the Father, Son, and Spirit, no? God is and always has been love. :)

Reactions: Nancy

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy Obviously, eternity cannot be compared directly to linear time as we experience. I speak of a mystery as best I can. :confused:

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed, but as they are created beings, the Godhead was alone to itself before them, and love dwelt among the Persons of the Father, Son, and Spirit, no? God is and always has been love. :)

Yes, for sure the Godhead is the only eternal past and future...He never "wasn't" (that eternity always was thing is so impossible to wrap the old cranium around) BUT ... how can we know when the angels were created I wonder...hmm. Not that it even matters at all, it's just another thing to ponder. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy Obviously, eternity cannot be compared directly to linear time as we experience. I speak of a mystery as best I can. :confused:

Well, no it obviously cannot be compared as, they are two wholly different existences. Can you picture a humongous canvass that depicts the beginning of "time" to the end, and imagine that to be somewhat the eternal nature of God? IOW, everything has already played out in God's view? And (keeping with your OP) knowing how horrid humans would be, He still died for us...now that's LOVE... :D
I thought I'd throw that in there instead of apologizing for derailing your thread :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says in John 17:5 that Christ was with His Father before the earth was created. This implies strongly that the Godhead enjoyed communion within Itself in eternity past.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; (Genesis 1:26)
So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. (Genesis 1:27)​

This implies that not only did God make mankind in His image, but that the family unit itself is in the image of God. Whereas the Godhead in eternity past was not content to keep the most fervent love to and within Itself only, and thus created sentient beings (including angels first) with whom to share it, likewise, newly-married couples ideally seek procreation to produce others with whom they may share their most fervent love. Some (myself included) even believe that this makes mankind God's crowning creative achievement. Especially considering the lengths to which He went to accomplish its redemption.

I believe this is the essence of the brief statement: God is love.

I do not subscribe to the hermeneutic which dictates that Scripture must always be interpreted within its immediate context only. If a text, by itself, is in harmony with the entire testimony of the Bible, I believe it may be understood singularly as well as contextual.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it possible that there is an underlying standard of truth throughout the Bible? And yet, at the same time the possibility of God speaking to each according to his need?

Obviously, this is rhetorical, but since Christ is the Truth (John 14:6), and the whole Bible testifies of Him Who changes not, the writing is on the wall, so to speak, is it not?

This, coupled with the testimony of 2 Timothy 3:16-17, would seem to clinch the deal.
:)
When asked Pontius Pilate's question [What is truth?] some people may correctly say, Jesus, even when they scarcely know him at all. Many believers see Him as through a glass darkly, that being their vision of the whole Bible. If the Bible shows all of Jesus to those with eyes to see, how clear is their vision? How complete is their vision? Can anyone see Him without a written Bible?

As you affirm, what each person sees can really vary according his need. "God spoke" [what does this mean really?] the whole of His Word for men when? Right now I guess, but in time as we think we understand it, "before the foundation of the world"? Do I need to supply scripture in support of that? I won't even try although it at the moment.

And what exactly is Jesus then? If God is Love, and Jesus is the Word, and Jesus is God..? Is the answer to each those last three questions definitely, yes?

So then would that make the Word equal to Love? When and if we become like Him, will we be Love as well... at least in a measure? Are we Love now in a measure?

You should notice that I mostly asked questions rather than making declarative statements. After all, what do I know?

What I believe about the Word of God is that God spoke it and all the rest flowed from there... the cursings as well as the blessings, the open doors and the closed ones! Are we a curse(s) or a blessing(s) or some combination of the two? Does that have something to do with double mindedness?

Again back to your question, What does God is Love mean?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, no it obviously cannot be compared as, they are two wholly different existences. Can you picture a humongous canvass that depicts the beginning of "time" to the end, and imagine that to be somewhat the eternal nature of God? IOW, everything has already played out in God's view? And (keeping with your OP) knowing how horrid humans would be, He still died for us...now that's LOVE... :D
I thought I'd throw that in there instead of apologizing for derailing your thread :)
@Nancy .... and the holy mystery is that Alpha and Omega became flesh and dwelt among us and went to the Cross for us....

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think both the Father and Son are still hurting when they see the state of mankind. If we love others by being willing to suffer ourselves, we are working to help them solve the problems of the world.

If you can show love for others and get them to love you, you have helped them. Sometimes we love others and they don't love us back; but the tragedy is not that they don't love us -- it's not a selfish kind of sorrow. I can live without everyone loving me. I'll be okay. But what about the people who reject love?
That really is tragedy! So much pain that people live in, with so much love held out by the One Who would rescue them!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God being Love has nothing to do with His creation. That is secondary. God is Love and that Love is perfect lacking nothing within His Triune nature as God. Love by definition has to be expressed with another which is why a unitarian god cannot be Love.
And God created us to share in that same love!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baloney. God loves beings that do not share and express it.
I think the idea is that God's love is eternal as the Father loves and delights in the Son, and the Son also the Father, and it's this eternal love that God shares with humanity. He did not 'need' to create us so that there would be someone to love.

But we're also not talking about love that is cold and passionless, knowing no object.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the idea is that God's love is eternal as the Father loves and delights in the Son, and the Son also the Father, and it's this eternal love that God shares with humanity. He did not 'need' to create us so that there would be someone to love.

But we're also not talking about love that is cold and passionless, knowing no object.

Much love!
Absolutely agreed

Reactions: Giuliano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if Peter was so addressing that particular group, that hardly limits God to having no other message to anyone reading the Bible today, does it? Who among us knows everything that God has to say to everyone through the written scriptures? Does God have precisely the same message for each and every member of the Body of Christ from each and every chapter and verse?
I think when it comes to the number of humans saved in the ark, I'd have to say it was either 8 people, or not. And if not, then this part is untrue.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it possible that there is an underlying standard of truth throughout the Bible? And yet, at the same time the possibility of God speaking to each according to his need?

Obviously, this is rhetorical, but since Christ is the Truth (John 14:6), and the whole Bible testifies of Him Who changes not, the writing is on the wall, so to speak, is it not?

This, coupled with the testimony of 2 Timothy 3:16-17, would seem to clinch the deal.
:)
I find God speaks to me personally with any number of Scriptures in or out of context, just that He knows the thoughts and reasonings of my heart, and speaks to me in His Word, just the same, the facts of the matters in the Book don't change.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even Calvinists get it right sometimes :p Seriously though, I have read and listened to Piper, Pink, MacArthur and have come away with much wisdom...just some of their salvific doctrines I cannot agree with.
Regarless of some difference of understanding on some things, I've heard some amazing teaching from several of these!

Much love!