What Does "God Is Love" Mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never made a specific study on it like that, although I have gone into the left hand of God to a certain extent. It would be easy to see where the Israelites in disobedience were put done and then brought back up. A short place to go through looking for examples would be in the book of Judges... as the people swing back and forth between crying out to God and then being sent another judge to pull then out of their mess one more time.
One case I find interesting is how David refused to lift a hand against Saul even when Saul was trying to kill him.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One case I find interesting is how David refused to lift a hand against Saul even when Saul was trying to kill him.
I remember many years ago when I first encountered that story how difficult it was hard me to understand why David would not kill the man. God had already rejected him as king. I had a lot to learn about friends and enemies. [ I sometimes still do.] I used to draw lines in my mind with regard to people, putting some on the evil side and others on the good side. I was unable to see that most people are somewhere in between even though some might be moving mostly upward or mostly downward. I remember a personal incident in high school where I was absolutely sure that one guy was evil and I purposely avoided him until he proved me wrong. He turned out to be a friend. That was back when I was 'good' Catholic boy LOL...

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember many years ago when I first encountered that story how difficult it was hard me to understand why David would not kill the man. God had already rejected him as king. I had a lot to learn about friends and enemies. [ I sometimes still do.] I used to draw lines in my mind with regard to people, putting some on the evil side and others on the good side. I was unable to see that most people are some in between even though some might be moving mostly upward or mostly downward. I remember a personal incident in high school where I was absolutely that one guy was evil and purposely avoided him until he proved me wrong. He turned out to be a friend. That was back when I was 'good' Catholic boy LOL...
Saul was a complicated fellow. He cried when he realized David could have killed him but didn't. I think Saul loved David but thought David didn't love him. Suspicion. Odd how love can get twisted around if we feel unloved in return.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saul was a complicated fellow. He cried when he realized David could have killed him but didn't. I think Saul loved David but thought David didn't love him. Suspicion. Odd how love can get twisted around if we feel unloved in return.
People who believe they cannot lose their salvation or that once they have received the Holy Spirit they are guaranteed unending Life, should read with understanding about King Saul, who was anointed by Samuel as was David. One of the best studies to show us what kind of a road people who have met the Master need to be walking is one of Saul versus David.

To me it is very clear, but some people really are deluded and they have not a clue. If we look at the superficial evils of Saul versus the evil of David, to me as even my flesh sees it, what David did seems worse than what Saul did. Understanding the heart and being willing to take whatever chastisement or punishment that we deserve... Saul deserved to lose his kingdom. David, according to the law given to Moses, for adultery and murder, deserved to lose his life. God spared him because his heart was ready for God's will whatever it was. Far he was from Jesus it seemed yet walking really in His footsteps.

"... nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

How spoiled are we today? Is this changing now?

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano