What does the Bible say about self-control?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
El domain is the capacity that allows us to control ourselves, and our emotions and not have these control us, taking away the ability to choose what we want to feel in each moment. our carvings in life. … Feeling, we can define as a physical response to a thought

aMXSh49.png
What is self-control?

A self-controlled person does not act rashly. Instead, he restrained his words and actions so as not to displease God.
Jesus showed what self-control involves. The Bible says: “When he was insulted, he did not insult back. When he suffered, he did not threaten but gave himself up to the righteous judge” (1 Peter 2:23). When he was hung on a torture stake, Jesus displayed self-control despite the mockery of his opponents (Matthew 27:39-44). Before that, he also displayed admirable self-control when leaders tried to ensnare him in speech. Jesus also set a fine example when angry Jews stoned him. Instead of retaliating against them, he “walked away and left the temple.” -John 8:57-59.
Can we imitate Jesus? Yes, we can imitate him to some extent. The apostle Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you and left an example, that you should follow closely in his footsteps” (1 Peter 2:21). Although we are imperfect, we can closely follow his example why is this so important?

Why is self-control essential?

To gain Jehovah's approval, we need to cultivate self-control. Even if we have served Jehovah faithfully for many years, we can still lose our friendship with him if we do not control our words and actions.
Consider the case of Moses, who was “the humblest of all who lived on earth” in his day (Numbers 12:3). After so many years of patiently listening to Israel's complaints, Moses lost control. He was angry when they complained again about the lack of drinking water. He grumbled to the people: “Listen, you rebels! Are you asking us to make water flow out of this cliff for you?” -Numbers 20:2-11.
Moses could not control himself. He did not attribute the glory to this miracle worker, Jehovah. (Psalm. 106:32, 33). As a result, he did not allow him to enter the Promised Land (Numbers 20:12). From then until his death, Moses must have regretted the loss of self-control.-Deuteronomy 3:23-27.

What is the lesson? Even after we have followed the truth for many years, we should never say disrespectful words to someone who upsets us or to someone in need of counsel (Ephesians 4:23; Corinthians 3:12). Perhaps the older we get, the more impatient we become. But remember the case of Moses. We never want to tarnish our reputation just by temporarily losing control. What can we do to cultivate this essential quality?

How to cultivate self-control?
  • Asking for the holy spirit: Because self-control is one aspect of the fruitage of the spirit, and Jehovah gives his spirit to those who ask. Through his holy spirit, he can give us the strength we need. He can also help us cultivate other aspects of the fruitage of the spirit, such as love, which gives us self-control.-1 Corinthians 13:5.

• Avoid anything that makes self-control difficult: For example, we must avoid the web and entertainment with false content. In fact, we must avoid anything bad (Proverbs 22:3; 1 Corinthians 6:12). For example, a person who knows that he or she is easily tempted by unclean things should probably avoid any romantic books and movies.
We may find this advice difficult to apply. But if we do our best, Jehovah will give us the strength we need to develop self-control. (2 Peter 1:5-8). He will help us control our thoughts, words, and actions. Brother Paul and Brother Marco, mentioned at the outset, have learned to control their violent temper and even argue with others on the road. What did you do for self-control? “I fervently pray every day,” he said. I looked up articles on self-control and memorized helpful scriptures. Despite my efforts to maintain self-control for many years, every morning when I wake up, I tell myself that I must try to stay calm throughout the day. And I left the house earlier so I wouldn't be in a hurry."

If you can't practice self-control

Sometimes, we lose control. When that happens, we may feel so ashamed that we do not approach Jehovah in prayer. But this is the time when it is necessary to ask him for help. Therefore, pray to Jehovah immediately. ask his forgiveness, seek his help, and resolve not to do it again. (Psalm. 51:9-11). Jehovah never despises our sincere prayers. (Psalm. 102:17). The apostle John reminds us that the blood of the Son of God “cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7; 2:1; Psalm 86:5). Remember, Jehovah tells his earthly servants to forgive us generously.-Matthew 18:21, 22; Corinthians 3:13.

Jehovah was not pleased when Moses lost control in the wilderness. Even so, he forgave him. and the Bible says that Moses was a man of outstanding faith (Deut 34:10; Hebrews 11:24-28). Jehovah gave him no prospect of living forever. We too can enjoy that prospect if we continue to strive to cultivate self-control, a quality so essential.-1 Corinthians 9:25.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
El domain is the capacity that allows us to control ourselves, and our emotions and not have these control us, taking away the ability to choose what we want to feel in each moment. our carvings in life. … Feeling, we can define as a physical response to a thought

aMXSh49.png
What is self-control?

A self-controlled person does not act rashly. Instead, he restrained his words and actions so as not to displease God.
Jesus showed what self-control involves. The Bible says: “When he was insulted, he did not insult back. When he suffered, he did not threaten but gave himself up to the righteous judge” (1 Peter 2:23). When he was hung on a torture stake, Jesus displayed self-control despite the mockery of his opponents (Matthew 27:39-44). Before that, he also displayed admirable self-control when leaders tried to ensnare him in speech. Jesus also set a fine example when angry Jews stoned him. Instead of retaliating against them, he “walked away and left the temple.” -John 8:57-59.
Can we imitate Jesus? Yes, we can imitate him to some extent. The apostle Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you and left an example, that you should follow closely in his footsteps” (1 Peter 2:21). Although we are imperfect, we can closely follow his example why is this so important?

To gain Jehovah's approval, we need to cultivate self-control. Even if we have served Jehovah faithfully for many years, we can still lose our friendship with him if we do not control our words and actions.
Consider the case of Moses, who was “the humblest of all who lived on earth” in his day (Numbers 12:3). After so many years of patiently listening to Israel's complaints, Moses lost control. He was angry when they complained again about the lack of drinking water. He grumbled to the people: “Listen, you rebels! Are you asking us to make water flow out of this cliff for you?” -Numbers 20:2-11.
Moses could not control himself. He did not attribute the glory to this miracle worker, Jehovah. (Psalm. 106:32, 33). As a result, he did not allow him to enter the Promised Land (Numbers 20:12). From then until his death, Moses must have regretted the loss of self-control.-Deuteronomy 3:23-27.

What is the lesson? Even after we have followed the truth for many years, we should never say disrespectful words to someone who upsets us or to someone in need of counsel (Ephesians 4:23; Corinthians 3:12). Perhaps the older we get, the more impatient we become. But remember the case of Moses. We never want to tarnish our reputation just by temporarily losing control. What can we do to cultivate this essential quality?

• Asking for the holy spirit: Because self-control is one aspect of the fruitage of the spirit, and Jehovah gives his spirit to those who ask. Through his holy spirit, he can give us the strength we need. He can also help us cultivate other aspects of the fruitage of the spirit, such as love, which gives us self-control.-1 Corinthians 13:5.

• Avoid anything that makes self-control difficult: For example, we must avoid the web and entertainment with false content. In fact, we must avoid anything bad (Proverbs 22:3; 1 Corinthians 6:12). For example, a person who knows that he or she is easily tempted by unclean things should probably avoid any romantic books and movies.
We may find this advice difficult to apply. But if we do our best, Jehovah will give us the strength we need to develop self-control. (2 Peter 1:5-8). He will help us control our thoughts, words, and actions. Brother Paul and Brother Marco, mentioned at the outset, have learned to control their violent temper and even argue with others on the road. What did you do for self-control? “I fervently pray every day,” he said. I looked up articles on self-control and memorized helpful scriptures. Despite my efforts to maintain self-control for many years, every morning when I wake up, I tell myself that I must try to stay calm throughout the day. And I left the house earlier so I wouldn't be in a hurry."

Sometimes, we lose control. When that happens, we may feel so ashamed that we do not approach Jehovah in prayer. But this is the time when it is necessary to ask him for help. Therefore, pray to Jehovah immediately. ask his forgiveness, seek his help, and resolve not to do it again. (Psalm. 51:9-11). Jehovah never despises our sincere prayers. (Psalm. 102:17). The apostle John reminds us that the blood of the Son of God “cleanses us from all sin” (1 John 1:7; 2:1; Psalm 86:5). Remember, Jehovah tells his earthly servants to forgive us generously.-Matthew 18:21, 22; Corinthians 3:13.

Jehovah was not pleased when Moses lost control in the wilderness. Even so, he forgave him. and the Bible says that Moses was a man of outstanding faith (Deut 34:10; Hebrews 11:24-28). Jehovah gave him no prospect of living forever. We too can enjoy that prospect if we continue to strive to cultivate self-control, a quality so essential.-1 Corinthians 9:25.

I believe you answered and covered your own question quite well maam.

Reactions: Jennifer Rogers

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

aMXSh49.png
What is self-control?

The Bible gives us commandments to follow - I would call that self-control. The commandments are for our own benefit - they keep us out of trouble.

Reactions: Jennifer Rogers

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

aMXSh49.png
What is self-control?

Sounds like this post is right out of the Watchtower magazine.
These aren't your own words! You should give credit to the source whether it is entirely taken from this magazine or partially. It's a good teaching. I agree with most of it. When it came to the phrase "torture stake", I knew the source and disagree with that. He died on a cross - but that is another topic, among many. See, I am exercising self control. I have read many Watchtower mags because I have loads of family members who are JW's. Or it could be from your "Reasoning Through The Scriptures" book.
Jesus exhibited self control because He is GOD, not because He learned how to or matured and overcame this character flaw that many of us struggle with. He is everything that God is. When we ask for the Holy Spirit, we are inviting God to live in us. We have company: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (And I do not mean to open up a futile debate on that either).
Btw, I don't think Moses was prevented from entering the promise land because of his lack of self control. It was His disbelief.
He had doubts all along his journey with the LORD that were corrected each time.

Last edited:

Jennifer Rogers

Mar 10, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like ghis post is right out of the Watchtower magazine.
These aren't your own words! You should give credit to the source whether it is entirely taken from this magazine or partially. It's a good teaching. I agree with most of it. When it came to the phrase "torture stake", I knew the source and disagree with that. He died on a cross - but that is another topic, among many. See, I am exercising self control. I have read many Watchtower mags because I have loads of family members who are JW's. Or it could be from your "Reasoning Through The Scriptures" book.
Jesus exhibited self control because He is GOD, not because He learned how to or matured and overcame this character flaw that many of us struggle with. He is everything that God is. When we ask for the Holy Spirit, we are inviting God to live in us. We have company: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (And I do not mean to open up a futile debate on that either).
Btw, I don't think Moses was prevented from entering the promise land because of his lack of seld control. It was His disbelief.
He had doubts all along his journey with the LORD that were corrected each time.
Thanks for your reminder

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

aMXSh49.png
What is self-control?

@Jennifer Rogers: Really good to see those verses where the Lord Jesus Himself is shown as a perfect example of what is being illustrated... :)

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
PS: Some comment has been made about the source of the article; depending on what it is, I'm not sure whether I would endorse the source.

reading the bible every day is not the real issue. The issue is us applying what we learn from God, so that others can see that we actually put our mouth and actions into gear and begin to live it.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
PS: Some comment has been made about the source of the article; depending on what it is, I'm not sure whether I would endorse the source.
And yet you said....
@Jennifer Rogers: Really good to see those verses where the Lord Jesus Himself is shown as a perfect example of what is being illustrated... :)
So the article was well written and and the verses where Jesus showed us the perfect example of self control are to be viewed with suspicion because it was quoted from a June 2020 Watchtower...? o_O

The source of the material in that Watchtower is the Bible....as are all of our beliefs and practices.

Remember that Jesus didn’t get any ‘good press’ either......:rolleyes: People didn’t listen to him because of what others lyingly said about him and his apostles....(Matthew 5:11-12)

History repeats because human nature does not change....and the devil knows it.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Btw, I don't think Moses was prevented from entering the promise land because of his lack of self control. It was His disbelief.
Moses lost his temper and acted rashly....he took credit for a miracle that was not his.....that is why he was prevented from entering the Promised Land. (Deuteronomy 3:24-28)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See, I am exercising self control.
Except for the slight obsession you seem to have with plagiarism - lol.
Nobody's making any money off of anyone's intellectual property here, Ron. :rolleyes:

You seem to be worried someone will sneak in some good stuff from somebody you don't like. :p
Your beliefs aren't exactly kosher, either, Brother. :D

Reactions: Aunty Jane

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does the Bible say about self-control?
overtime is always available!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except for the slight obsession you seem to have with plagiarism - lol.
Nobody's making any money off of anyone's intellectual property here, Ron. :rolleyes:

You seem to be worried someone will sneak in some good stuff from somebody you don't like. :p
Your beliefs aren't exactly kosher, either, Brother. :D
I love all the Jehovah Witnesses in my family, I have heard and read their doctrines. They practice being good people and I'll give them that.
I would just prefer that they would identify who they are and where their teachings come from. It's simple, "I'd like to share something I read in the June 2020 Watchtower magazine about self control." It lets everyone know who they are and where they are coming from.
We all go through many long discussions that would be shorter if only we identified ourselves from the get-go. Example: "Hi, I'm BarneyFife, I'm, an Amillennialist, Non-Trinitarian, Sabbath Keeping SDA" or Christian Scientist or whatever - something like that. It saves a lot of time. The rest of us will know whether we want to labor over those issues in an endless futile attempt ... or not!
This doesn't mean I don't like you BarneyFife, we can discuss other issues. Anyone who works with Andy can't be all bad.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Example: "Hi, I'm @BarneyFife, Qoheleth, I'm, an Amillennialist, Non-Trinitarian, Sabbath Keeping SDA" or Christian Scientist or whatever - something like that. It saves a lot of time. The rest of us will know whether we want to labor over those issues in an endless futile attempt ... or not!
Or, just Simply use:

God's GRACE Remedy = "plant once, water once, and then mark/avoid."

Amen? - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (1 Corinthians 3:6 - - - - - - - - Romans 16:17)

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace! The apostle Of GRACE (2 Min With The BIBLE)

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I love all the Jehovah Witnesses in my family, I have heard and read their doctrines. They practice being good people and I'll give them that.
I would just prefer that they would identify who they are and where their teachings come from. It's simple, "I'd like to share something I read in the June 2020 Watchtower magazine about self control." It lets everyone know who they are and where they are coming from.
There is no identification of denomination here. That has its good points and it’s bad points. On the positive side, it allows people to enter into a conversation with no prejudice already present. The issues can be discussed on a level that pre-conceived ideas won’t allow...speaking scripture to scripture. And the negative side is of course what you demonstrate here. If the info comes from a Watchtower publication, you don’t take it at face value, but have already judged it as unworthy of anyone’s consideration.

The other thing to consider is that those who might quote a WT article because they identify with what it says, might not be a JW....just someone who saw something valuable in an article.

I welcome a discussion of scripture for what it says. We can listen and evaluate what we read and either accept or reject it. That is what Jesus did.....he presented his teachings and those listening could “take it or leave it”....it was up to their own hearts, which God sees and will make a seed of truth grow if he sees the right response. No matter who plants or who waters, no seed will grow without God’s say so. (1 Corinthians 3:6-7; John 6:44, 65) So He chooses us as much as we think we choose Him. I believe that we can leave that all in his capable hands. He has appointed a judge and we will all stand before him. Some will get the nod of approval and others will not.....we are all either “sheep” or “goats”......no matter what we think of ourselves. (Matthew 7:21-23)

We all go through many long discussions that would be shorter if only we identified ourselves from the get-go. Example: "Hi, I'm BarneyFife, I'm, an Amillennialist, Non-Trinitarian, Sabbath Keeping SDA" or Christian Scientist or whatever - something like that. It saves a lot of time. The rest of us will know whether we want to labor over those issues in an endless futile attempt ... or not!
If you are not prepared to defend what you believe, in a civil fashion, then why are you here? Our beliefs are ours, but because God will not interfere with our choices, we can be deluded into thinking that we have it all sorted and everyone else is wrong....but the fact is, we can only evaluate our beliefs by how well they are confirmed in the Bible, and the brotherhood with whom we associate are all on the same page. (1 Corinthians 1:10) We cannot be Christians in isolation and the fruitage of any denomination will be clearly evident in the way they live......in how well they conform to Christ’s teachings, when everyone else is picking and choosing.....and fooling themselves.

But at the end of the day, God will have chosen his rulers and priesthood, and their subjects for the next phase of his purpose concerning our existence. Whatever that may entail....we know that he will be in full control of everything.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This doesn't mean I don't like you BarneyFife, we can discuss other issues. Anyone who works with Andy can't be all bad.
Labels! if men don't have them they go into a tailspin.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A bit sensitive aren't you? And then the restrained, polite retaliating response exercizing self control ... very good!

There is no identification of denomination here
No, you are right.
Funny you mention that. The JW org is not a Protestant denomination, they were rejected during Charles Taze Russell's time due to it's false doctrines that go against the fundamental beliefs of the Bible.

The issues can be discussed on a level that pre-conceived ideas won’t allow...speaking scripture to scripture. And the negative side is of course what you demonstrate here. If the info comes from a Watchtower publication, you don’t take it at face value, but have already judged it as unworthy of anyone’s consideration.

Oh please, congregants in Kingdom Hall meetings regularly stand up against the entire Christendom as if we are a fallen, Satanic lost and corrupted group of 2.65 billion Christians. You all point your holy fingers at us on a regular basis to pridefully pat yourselves on the back. It's brainwashing, regular derogatory digs that creates an overall negative attitude against all Christendom outside your walls. Your preconceived notions of us has warranted strict rules forbidding your congregants from ever entering into any of our churches, and strongly discourages from being unequally yoked with any of us especially in marriage.
Question: Would you ever call any Christian outside your organization a brother or sister? I doubt it and why? Your preconceived notions that not only result in division, but a WALL around your camp that protects you from all of the sinful corruption outside.
Newsflash: We are all sinners. But I think your hierarchy exective directors are more afraid that if you were exposed to our churches for any length of time, they would lose many.

The other thing to consider is that those who might quote a WT article because they identify with what it says, might not be a JW....just someone who saw something valuable in an article.

Maybe? SO, let's ask Jennifer.
@Jennifer Rogers, Are you or are you not a Jehovah Witness?

I welcome a discussion of scripture for what it says. We can listen and evaluate what we read and either accept or reject it.

Yes, me too, if it is an accurate translation. The NWT is the only translation created to conform to a religious belief system.

No matter who plants or who waters, no seed will grow without God’s say so

Yes, the Holy Spirit converts the individual, He has done well with the Body of Christ and is right on track as planned.

So He chooses us as much as we think we choose Him. I believe that we can leave that all in his capable hands. He has appointed a judge and we will all stand before him. Some will get the nod of approval and others will not.....we are all either “sheep” or “goats”.

Yes the elect sheep are in the billions - and there is plenty of room in heaven fyi.

If you are not prepared to defend what you believe, in a civil fashion, then why are you here?

I am quite prepared. I have been baptized by the Holy Spirit, born again 31 years ago ... praise Jesus Christ, my LORD and my GOD.

We cannot be Christians in isolation and the fruitage of any denomination will be clearly evident in the way they live......in how well they conform to Christ’s teachings, when everyone else is picking and choosing.....and fooling themselves.

Then why are the JW's so isolated, separating themsel es form the entire BODY?

But at the end of the day, God will have chosen his rulers and priesthood, and their subjects for the next phase of his purpose concerning our existence. Whatever that may entail....we know that
Yes.