What does the Bible say about Sexual Immorality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“but I — I say to you, that whoever may put away his wife, save for the matter of whoredom, doth make her to commit adultery; and whoever may marry her who hath been put away doth commit adultery.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:32‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

I believe Devin shared this above scripture earlier.

“‘For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, no more burden to lay upon you, except these necessary things: to abstain from things offered to idols, and blood, and a strangled thing, and whoredom; from which keeping yourselves, ye shall do well; be strong!’”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭15:28-29‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why God allowed more than one wife seeing as it wasn't from the beginning? And who was the first polygamist.
Why did God allow men to ever disobey Him?

After the disobedience of Adam and Eve, mankind spiraled ever downward away from the "very good" all of God's creation. By the time of Jacob, polygamy was part of man's way of life. It was part of their culture. It was never right before God, but when was man ever completely right before God? When was carnal man better than a beast to God?

See in particular, David, called in places "a man after God's own heart" and the "apple of his eye". Yet, how many wives did David have simultaneously?

The key is of course that David was growing toward God. He was moving toward God even if flawed and still stumbling along the way. Once he already had several wives, if he had become aware that it was not pleasing to God, should he have put them away [divorced] them? Could he have done that without sinning still further? What was the basis for divorce under Mosaic Law?

When a person is drawn to God today, he may repent, but when does he stop sinning completely and become sinless? Some never do. When, if ever, may any man's works be equal to or greater than the works of the man Jesus? How does God judge us?

Does God not look to what we are doing with what we have been given to work with? Not everyone has precisely the same talents, abilities and experience to help them approach more closely to God. Not everyone overcomes every obstacle immediately when first he really repents.
Again, of course, some never do!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why did God allow men to ever disobey Him?

After the disobedience of Adam and Eve, mankind spiraled ever downward away from the "very good" all of God's creation. By the time of Jacob, polygamy was part of man's way of life. It was part of their culture. It was never right before God, but when was man ever completely right before God? When was carnal man better than a beast to God?

See in particular, David, called in places "a man after God's own heart" and the "apple of his eye". Yet, how many wives did David have simultaneously?

The key is of course that David was growing toward God. He was moving toward God even if flawed and still stumbling along the way. Once he already had several wives, if he had become aware that it was not pleasing to God, should he have put them away [divorced] them? Could he have done that without sinning still further? What was the basis for divorce under Mosaic Law?

When a person is drawn to God today, he may repent, but when does he stop sinning completely and become sinless? Some never do. When, if ever, may any man's works be equal to or greater than the works of the man Jesus? How does God judge us?

Does God not look to what we are doing with what we have been given to work with? Not everyone has precisely the same talents, abilities and experience to help them approach more closely to God. Not everyone overcomes every obstacle immediately when first he really repents.
Again, of course, some never do!

Here is the answer to not only multiple wives, but the sins David committed when you come across someone pointing to David as their excuse to sin.

Romans 3:
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is universally opposed to sexual immorality.

Thank you for commenting, I believe that even today for Christians Paul’s notional principle of dying to sin, and being baptized in the death of Christ Jesus is still a notion of denial of the self. Where one puts God first, and loves him first, and then the overflow of care of loving others comes forth once that is established.

The sanctification is dying to the old lifestyle, which hate, greed, lust, and the like nature of our fleshly proclivities of our heart status before it has received the light and life of the Word that is able to save the soul (heart/mind/will/emotion).

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please feel free to share Bible scripture, or your testimony when it pertains to Sexual Immorality.

In the Bible there are scriptures that pertain to sexual immorality. A good question to answer would be, what does the Bible say about sexual immorality?

Also what does the Bible say about the husband and the wife when it comes to being together with one another? If there are some biblical narratives one can point at to be able to look and see about it.

Jesus said if you look up a woman with lust in your heart you committed adultery, i believe. What do you think about when Jesus says this? Some relate it as spiritual adultery having choose something other than God to love first instead.

If anyone would like to share, please feel free to do so.

Jesus Christ at Matthew 5:32 and 19:9 showed the wickedness of fornication by classing it with murder, thievery, wicked reasoning, false testimony, and blasphemy. He pointed out that these come from within a man, from his heart, and defile him. Matthew 15:19, 20; Mark 7:21-23 Later, the governing body of the Christian congregation, comprised of the apostles and older men in Jerusalem, wrote to Christians in about 49 C.E., warning them against fornication, and placing it alongside idolatry and the eating of blood. Acts 15:20, 29 and 21:25.

The apostle Paul points out that fornication is one of the works of the flesh, the opposite of the fruitage of the spirit of God, and warns that the practice of fleshly works will prevent an individual from inheriting the Kingdom. Galatians 5:19-21
The scriptures also show that a christian, meaning a baptized member of the True Church who is practicing sexual immorality and is unrepentant is to be disfellowshipped from the church.1 Corinthians 5:1-13;

At Matthew 5:28 Here Christ was explaining that the seventh of the Ten Commandments should have meant more to his Jewish listeners than simply avoiding the physical act of adultery. Exodus. 20:14 and Deuteronomy 5:18 He traced the crime to a person’s heart. As James later explained, wrong desires in the heart can, and often do, lead to acts of sin. James 1:14, 15; Proverbs 6:25 That occurred with David, who looked on and became aroused toward another man’s wife, leading to his sin of adultery. (2 Samuel 11:2-4) So Jesus urged his listeners to avoid, not just a sinful act in itself, but the sinful lust that can lead to sinful acts.

The scriptures show us at Philippians 4:8 what our minds should be focused on. It's true that you may have an immoral thought come into our minds, but we can stop ourselves from focusing on a unclean thought. Its true our sinful tendency of the flesh and Satan and his demons will make it difficult, but it's not impossible to stop focusing on immoral thoughts.

Reactions: MatthewG

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
amadeus said:
Why did God allow men to ever disobey Him?[/QUOTE\]

Because God wanted mankind to obey him because of the love they had for him. God created man so that he was capable to make moral choices. God created mankind so that he/she could choose to obey God or choose not to obey. God has always insisted on obedience but the obedience he wants from mankind is obedience based on love for him that mankind would choose to obey him because he/she loves him so much that he/she would have faith that God would never command mankind to obey a command that's impossible for mankind to obey and that whatever God commanded mankind to obey, it was always in the best interests of mankind to obey him whatever God commanded mankind to do or not to do. That no one knows better than God what's in the best interests of his creation or what's not in the best interests of his creation.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please feel free to share Bible scripture, or your testimony when it pertains to Sexual Immorality.

In the Bible there are scriptures that pertain to sexual immorality. A good question to answer would be, what does the Bible say about sexual immorality?

Also what does the Bible say about the husband and the wife when it comes to being together with one another? If there are some biblical narratives one can point at to be able to look and see about it.

Jesus said if you look up a woman with lust in your heart you committed adultery, i believe. What do you think about when Jesus says this? Some relate it as spiritual adultery having choose something other than God to love first instead.

The Lord calls sexual immorality idolatry and He also calls it sinning against yourself. However, we were created with the ability to experience pleasure and the marriage bed is undefiled.
The good news is that all sin is covered by the blood of Jesus Christ, not just some sin. Sexual immorality, even in the heart is defiling, but:
But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7
This is present tense, not past or future. So, keep the light on and walk a little further with Him.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precisely sexual activity shouldn’t be avoided. I’m 54 years old and literally hate my job, but I drag my ass out of bed every day because I made a commitment to feed and shelter the ones I love.

I don’t go just once a year.
Amen, brother.

4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, not as a commandment. 1 Corinthians 7:4-6

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great comments and insights everyone, Barney, and Michael.

It is great to know even so; Jesus does cover all sin. This just happens to be one category. There are a few others one could travel down too as well.

A good thing to remember is to draw near to God and he will draw near to you, no one is better than another over any one thing as all people stand equal before God as sin as been paid for.

God sends the rain on the just and the unjust.

The only way to gain access to the Father is through Christ, and it good to read about Him, and the other letters and finding hope in the Old Testament of what the prophets of old had went through.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words let’s say a man and a woman are married over 30 years, then the woman decides I don’t have sex any longer, no touching, no kissing, nothing. How does a man of God manage a relationship of this type?
This isn't a one sided question.
Maybe it happens to men more than women, but it happens to women too.

I was married for 16 years when my husband informed me he wasn't interested in sex.
Mind you, I'm just 57. At the time I was still in my 40's. He was only 4 years older than me.
He generously invited me to go out and find whatever "outlet" I needed.
I told him I had too much respect for my marriage, but my respect for the man had just hit a brick wall.
I never was unfaithful to him. Even after our divorce and his death, I'm still faithful.
Frankly, I'm not interested in a physical relationship with anyone.
My spiritual life don't have room for it.

Then there are marriages where illness or accidents make it impossible.
You have to love the one your with for who they are, not what you can physically receive, but what you can emotionally and spiritually share.

I realized our marriage wasn't based on either of these. And it was a hard pill to swallow.
It wasn't that he didn't want to be intimate, but the fact that he was willing to let me be active outside our marriage that
drove me away. He had no respect for the marriage or for me or even for himself.

what an interesting conversation.. :rolleyes:
Hugs

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What does the Bible say about Sexual Immorality?
It comes as easy as breathing!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God and Jesus outlaw fornication (Mark 7:21), looking lustfully at people (Matthew 5:28), and homosexuality (Leviticus 18:22). (I put all these under the umbrella of adultery.)