What does the Bible say about Sexual Immorality?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is actually about one or both of the two being married. If a single man looks with lust at a married woman, he is committing adultery. Or if a married woman looks at a single man with lust in her heart, she is committing adultery. Or if both of the parties are married to someone else and they look at each other with lust in their hearts, they are committing adultery. It is the foreplay of the actual act.

If single people looked at other single people without lust, nobody would get married. Now if they acted on that lust before getting married or just casual dating like the world, that is the sin of fornication.

1 Corinthians 7:
8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Then there are the depraved. Those who burn with lust for the same gender, or an animal. They will not inherit the kingdom of God, UNLESS they get Spirit-filled and exhibit the spiritual fruit of self-control. But no practicing homosexual, even one who accepts Christ, will be saved, anymore than a practicing adulterer or fornicator.

interesting thank you for sharing!

When Jesus said:

Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

He was warning not to allow yourself to lust after a woman as it opens the door to acting in sin. In other words, it is a cocked pistol which is not wise. I don't think having lust in your heart is necessarily sinning although it's unwise. We will all be tempted by Satan with lust. Does that mean when we have lust thru temptation we have sinned? No it does not. But Jesus was teaching us to reject the lust so we are less tempted to act in sin.

Thank you for sharing this Devin! Very interesting here about Jesus. He is the master.
:)

Paul said if you can't control yourself... That is a fruit of the Spirit that needs to become mature. Paul recommendation is for that man to MARRY.

Thank you for your insights and information here.

• Thanks you all who were curious about this bible topic.

If anyone else would like to share testimony or any other scriptures or thoughts,
on the subject Sexual immorality. Please feel free to do so if you desire.

I believe it is good to be open and talk about these subjects, for the - sexual part of us can be fed dark things - illicit sex to the point of child abuse, spouse abuse (through rage and anger), Rape cases, sexual exploitation, sex trafficking, anything that dwells in the deep dark waters of the sea. You can see Innumerable evidences for these via crime interrogations.

Therefore is sexual immorality a good thing? That depends on your subjective thinking. We know God created sex for procreation, he made man and woman.

He said it was not good for man to be alone, so he made a woman who was deemed as a helper, support, comforter, and the one who would be the mother. The man would work and till the land. Of course in society today, both men and women work.

Reactions: dev553344

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My view is that Christians are called to be chaste. Chastity doesn’t imply anti-sex; it means be ethical on this subject. For example, a man who is faithful to his wife is being chaste, even if the said couple engages in adult activity every day. The term doesn’t mean avoid all sex and live in a cloistered monastery.

Several Bible scriptures support being chaste like Colossians 3:5 and Ephesians 5:3. At the same time, there are also many verses that stress forgiveness for past immorality like Hebrews 8:12 and many others. We Christians must not only be chaste, but forgive others who weren’t chaste in the past but repent of their prior immorality. All have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory (Romans 3:23).

interesting thank you for sharing.

3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. (1 Corinthians 7:3)

That KJV phrase cracks me up - "Due benevolence".:D

interesting thank you for sharing.

The Bible is quite clear on the topic Matt, those who practice it will not inherit the Kingdom of God 1 Cor 6:9,10

Thank you for sharing, Robert.
Yes. But God declares her and the children they have clean for the man (and vice versa for the woman as applies).

"14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified (made clean for contact) through his believing wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified (made clean for contact) through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy." 1 Corinthians 7:14

I believe Paul makes it clear that we should not marry an unbeliever to begin with, but we do have the precedent in scripture of God commanding Hosea to marry a woman of harlotry. Jesus married a woman of harlotry...us (no need to get in the technicalities of whether or not we're actually married to him yet, or just betrothed). Jesus has this distinct supernatural quality about him that whatever touches him becomes holy. He's the good apple in the basket of apples that turns all the rotten ones good, instead of the bad apples corrupting the good one as we are accustomed to.

Thank you again for sharing.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural. (Romans 1:26)

Do vibrators and such toys fall in this category? Is it okay for a husband to use a vibrator to help him fulfill his 1 Corinthians 7:3 obligation to render due benevolence(s) unto his wife?

Just asking.

Topical Bible: Benevolence

1. (n.) The disposition to do good; good will; charitableness; love of mankind, accompanied with a desire to promote their happiness.

2. (n.) An act of kindness; good done; charity given.

3. (n.) A species of compulsory contribution or tax, which has sometimes been illegally exacted by arbitrary kings of England, and falsely represented as a gratuity.

Benevolence (2 Occurrences)

... gratuity. Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia. BENEVOLENCE. be-nev ... 10. Multi-Version

Concordance Benevolence (2 Occurrences). 1 Corinthians ...

/b/benevolence.htm - 8k

Kindness (295 Occurrences)
... man. Brotherhood is first known as the relation between sons of the same
parent, a relation of tender affection and benevolence. ...
/k/kindness.htm - 45k

Brotherly (8 Occurrences)
/b/brotherly.htm - 15k

Love (703 Occurrences)
/l/love.htm - 65k

Goodness (83 Occurrences)
... his creatures according to their various circumstances and relations (Psalm
145:8, 9; 103:8; 1 John 4:8). Viewed generally, it is benevolence; as exercised ...
/g/goodness.htm - 35k

Ethics
... system. Purity is purity, and benevolencebenevolence, and both are
excellences, whether manifested in a heathen or a Christian. ...
/e/ethics.htm - 70k

Wisdom (320 Occurrences)
... Lying and injustice are denounced on almost every page of the literature, and unceasing
emphasis is laid on the necessity for benevolence (Psalm 37:21; Psalm ...
/w/wisdom.htm - 101k

Kind (290 Occurrences)
... benignant; gracious. 4. (superl.) Proceeding from, or characterized by, goodness,
gentleness, or benevolence; as, a kind act. 5. (superl ...
/k/kind.htm - 35k

Unkind (7 Occurrences)
... 3. (a.) Wanting in kindness, sympathy, benevolence, gratitude, or the like; cruel;
harsh; unjust; ungrateful. Multi-Version Concordance Unkind (7 Occurrences). ...
/u/unkind.htm - 8k

Universal (7 Occurrences)
... the whole number, quantity, or space; unlimited; general; all-reaching; all-pervading;
as, universal ruin; universal good; universal benevolence ..

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Topical Bible: Benevolence

1. (n.) The disposition to do good; good will; charitableness; love of mankind, accompanied with a desire to promote their happiness.

2. (n.) An act of kindness; good done; charity given.

3. (n.) A species of compulsory contribution or tax, which has sometimes been illegally exacted by arbitrary kings of England, and falsely represented as a gratuity.

Benevolence (2 Occurrences)

... gratuity. Int. Standard Bible Encyclopedia. BENEVOLENCE. be-nev ... 10. Multi-Version

Concordance Benevolence (2 Occurrences). 1 Corinthians ...

/b/benevolence.htm - 8k

Kindness (295 Occurrences)
/k/kindness.htm - 45k

Brotherly (8 Occurrences)
/b/brotherly.htm - 15k

Love (703 Occurrences)
/l/love.htm - 65k

Goodness (83 Occurrences)
... his creatures according to their various circumstances and relations (Psalm
145:8, 9; 103:8; 1 John 4:8). Viewed generally, it is benevolence; as exercised ...
/g/goodness.htm - 35k

Ethics
... system. Purity is purity, and benevolencebenevolence, and both are
excellences, whether manifested in a heathen or a Christian. ...
/e/ethics.htm - 70k

Wisdom (320 Occurrences)
... Lying and injustice are denounced on almost every page of the literature, and unceasing
emphasis is laid on the necessity for benevolence (Psalm 37:21; Psalm ...
/w/wisdom.htm - 101k

Kind (290 Occurrences)
... benignant; gracious. 4. (superl.) Proceeding from, or characterized by, goodness,
gentleness, or benevolence; as, a kind act. 5. (superl ...
/k/kind.htm - 35k

Unkind (7 Occurrences)
... 3. (a.) Wanting in kindness, sympathy, benevolence, gratitude, or the like; cruel;
harsh; unjust; ungrateful. Multi-Version Concordance Unkind (7 Occurrences). ...
/u/unkind.htm - 8k

Universal (7 Occurrences)
... the whole number, quantity, or space; unlimited; general; all-reaching; all-pervading;
as, universal ruin; universal good; universal benevolence ..

1 Corinthians 7:3, rejected by the Revised Version (British and American) which following Westcott and Hort, The New Testament in Greek translates Greek opheile, "due." This reference to the marriage relation is explained in 7:4. Compare Exodus 21:10

“Due”
3782. opheilé
Strong's Concordance
opheilé: a debt
Original Word: ὀφειλή, ῆς, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: opheilé
Phonetic Spelling: (of-i-lay')
Definition: a debt
Usage: a debt, a duty, what is due.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 3782 opheilḗ (a feminine noun) – a specific (applied) kind of indebtedness, implying an "applied obligation" due to the debt (what is owed). See 3781 (opheiletēs).

if “benevolence” is sex in “what is due” Exodus 21:10 says a lot
New International Version
  • If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. o_O

Reactions: Lambano

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible doesn’t suggest that is good to be in polygamy does it? Or is it saying it’s okay to have more than one wife? @VictoryinJesus ? What is the whole context of Exodus 21 and prior?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights.

But she said to her, “Is it a small matter for you to take my husband? And would you take my son’s mandrakes also?” So Rachel said, “Therefore he may lie with you tonight in return for your son’s mandrakes.” (Genesis 30:15)

Looks like Wife #1 had to pay off Wife #2 in order to get a little lovin'.

Fortunately, that shouldn't apply to anyone here.

Reactions: MatthewG

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But she said to her, “Is it a small matter for you to take my husband? And would you take my son’s mandrakes also?” So Rachel said, “Therefore he may lie with you tonight in return for your son’s mandrakes.” (Genesis 30:15)

Looks like Wife #1 had to pay off Wife #2 in order to get a little lovin'.

Fortunately, that shouldn't apply to anyone here.

I wonder why God allowed more than one wife seeing as it wasn't from the beginning? And who was the first polygamist.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible doesn’t suggest that is good to be in polygamy does it? Or is it saying it’s okay to have more than one wife? @VictoryinJesus ? What is the whole context of Exodus 21 and prior?

I don’t think so. I’m just trying to picture wife number two s’ face when her husband tells her he has to go see to his martial rights with wife number one. :confused: (Imo) due benevolence isn’t talking about sex …maybe so…but like with everything else no other meanings of ‘due benevolence’ is desirable, just one. Like the OT verse there in Exodus mentions food and clothing and then NT 1 Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Personally I wonder if wife 1 and wife 2 has something to do with the covenants or Israel when he first came to preach to the Jews…

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m just trying to picture wife number two s’ face when her husband tells her he has to go see to his martial rights with wife number one.
If a man had a tender heart and knew what it meant to treat others the way you wanted to be treated he'd realize he wouldn't want his wife being with multiple husbands, and so he wouldn't have more than one wife. I mean a normal man, not some creep who's into that kind of junk.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think so. I’m just trying to picture wife number two s’ face when her husband tells her he has to go see to his martial rights with wife number one. :confused: (Imo) due benevolence isn’t talking about sex …maybe so…but like with everything else no other meanings of ‘due benevolence’ is desirable, just one. Like the OT verse there in Exodus mentions food and clothing and then NT 1 Timothy 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

Personally I wonder if wife 1 and wife 2 has something to do with the covenants or Israel when he first came to preach to the Jews…

Thank you for sharing,
I believe some of people in the Bible had two wives from time to time, and the end result is always more suffering it seems like. It’s a good thing to notice when reading the Old Testament. There was no law in Genesis, so I don’t know if the Leviticus law for the Levites of Israel has any notion of about having two wives. What is known is that Moses gave an article of divorce somewhere.

Two wives too many problems.

In the spirituals sense as Fuller pointed out being married to Christ is another way to look at marriage isnt it?

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No question about it.
In a very broad sense, The Jews are Christ's first wife. That marriage didn't work out too good. The gentiles are his second wife.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the spirituals sense as Fuller pointed out being married to Christ is another way to look at marriage isnt it?
Without a doubt:

"31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”e 32This mystery is profound, but I am speaking about Christ and the church." Ephesians 5:31-32

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder why God allowed more than one wife seeing as it wasn't from the beginning? And who was the first polygamist.

Good question to try and figure out by the use of the Bible. Was it Gods intention for Adam and Eve to have more than one spouse? I don’t personally think so. I believe man just did what he desired and took upon other wives at a cost. However I could be very wrong here and it may be worth a look to find an answer to be.

Be encouraged my friend and to anyone reading.

God bless you and all,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lambano, Paul had learned a lot from Christ. He was revealing things that were not revealed prior to not having the Holy Spirit.

I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. - Galatians 1:12

I don’t know barnabas book and don’t read anything the main 66 books. So I haven’t read the book of Enoch for example and see that it does have one account from one scripture pertaining to Jude but other than that is not included in the Bible I suggest for a reason, maybe not divinely inspired.