What does the Bible say about when Jesus Christ would return?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello Lambano, while I believe it is a good thing to teach in a proper approach to other believing Christians or other people no matter the background, the truth about scripture, and I believe strengthening the faith in someone is a great thing. However for me personally if I was to tell people to be ready for his return, and they expect it now today…

Sheesh,,, what kind of hope am I giving to them anyway.

The real hope is the deliverance out of darkness and coming into the light and having a renewed heart and mind while living by the spirit now in this life. And you will be rewarded at the end of by having freely decided to willingly serve God.
There are more scriptures that pertain to this topic, I thank all of you for sharing and posting out your views.

when it comes to the return there are still passage to go looking for about this topic.

“When does the Bible say Jesus will return”

There we can see where the scripture point it out, and also consider the audience and the time period.

I guess this is a critical thinking exercise for those who are curious to take head on.

Be encouraged, to pray, study, and read!

With love,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
@MatthewG I guess the personal challenge is, rather than getting into theoretical timetables, the state of the individual's heart before the Lord and how the message of the Gospel is being received.

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Oz, you have made a great addition to just a single verse to a whole context that needs to be looked at from I believe Matthew 21. That would help us get the bigger picture on that.

You know Jesus because Jesus did not know, which makes him not incompetent however does not also negate all of the other given information which was given for a sign of when the Temple would become desolated. Because Jesus had just got done pretty much throwing down on the religious Jewish leaders in that day who were at the the temple.

Unless I am remembering wrong. That still doesn’t mean Jesus wasn’t going to not return, it just means the Father knew when, and those 4 disciples would be able to discern the times of the coming end of their “world” as they knew it. That is why they asked the question to Jesus and he answered them.

If anyone else would like to add more scripture please feel free, for just this one is just a fragment here that has been shared with us by Oz.

God bless and thank you for sharing and commenting,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

:)

I'm missing your points.

Oz

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG I guess the personal challenge is, rather than getting into theoretical timetables, the state of the individual's heart before the Lord and how the message of the Gospel is being received.

Everyone is different and not everyone desires to just stay at the same place that had been previously. Some people move from their system of belief if they are presented with evidence with scripture that pertains to this type of subject.

If one doesn’t desire to seek out the answer for it? Is it my fault if others don’t wanna take an adventure and search for all the evidence of when the Bible says Jesus would return?

The topic is open for other in the air to consider.

Check out it in the Bible If does desire it.

It is always about love for God and love for others, you can believe and go to church do whatever you desire. There are thing you can take on if you desire at any age in life.

:) I’m content either way it goes for you in your life as long as you and your families are doing okay and your not struggling in your faith in Christ or trust in God.

:p

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@MatthewG
If he has already come to you, is that not the second coming? Why wait for a third?
Do you deny the future literal, visible, return of the Lord Jesus in the heavens?

Revelation 1:7KJV
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is still a whole lot more evidence to check out in the Bible. It talks so much about the return you wonder if the Bible was lying to them if the context was to an audience back then for the bride groom that existed back in the day.

God bless, and be encouraged to seek out this scripture if you so desire. There is still more that have yet to be discovered.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you deny the future literal, visible, return of the Lord Jesus in the heavens?

Revelation 1:7KJV
7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

This is not a debate topic.

It’s a discussion topic so please be mindful of that, this is also a message for others. If you have any more scriptures dealing with the return please feel free to share it.

God bless you and all,
Take care,
Matthew Gallagher

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Being born again is a resurrection from the dead! If we have been born again, we were dead in the eyes of God, but now we have resurrected... we have already received the Life more abundantly which Jesus came to bring. Has it already begun or do wait for another time and another place?

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 1126
Do you deny the future bodily resurrection of the dead in Christ?

1 Corinthians 15:51-54KJV
51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a debate topic.

It’s a discussion topic so please be mindful of that, this is also a message for others. If you have any more scriptures dealing with the return please feel free to share it.

God bless you and all,
Take care,
Matthew Gallagher
My postings are a visible return of Jesus and literal bodily resurrection, both take place at the Lords return, and are in context of the topic

My interest is in discussion, and not debate

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My postings are a visible return of Jesus and literal bodily resurrection, both take place at the Lords return, and are in context of the topic

Great your position is noted. If anyone desires to argue with you about that they can. I do not mind or am I offended by your belief.

I found two more scriptures.

I believe Revelation was written near the ending of the Jewish known world in 70 Ad.

Things were going to come pass and they were gonna come to pass soon.

Just food for people think about, if you disagree you can disagree it won’t change my mind about my own view, as I’m not open to the idea anymore of Jesus returning in the future.

Love to you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant John,

Happy is he who is reading, and those hearing, the words of the prophecy, and keeping the things written in it — for the time is nigh!”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:1, 3‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Revelation 1:1-3 A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant J | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great your position is noted. If anyone desires to argue with you about that they can. I do not mind or am I offended by your belief.

I believe Revelation was written near the ending of the Jewish known world in 70 Ad.

Just food for people think about, if you disagree you can disagree it won’t change my mind about my own view, as I’m not open to the idea anymore of Jesus returning in the future.

Love to you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
I believe the Revelation was written at about 96AD, that reveals 70AD played no part in fulfillment of it

When Was the Book of Revelation Written?
By Wayne Jackson

Traditionally, the book of Revelation has been dated near the end of the first century, around A.D. 96. Some writers, however, have advanced the preterist (from a Latin word meaning “that which is past”) view, contending that the Apocalypse was penned around A.D. 68 or 69, and thus the thrust of the book is supposed to relate to the impending destruction of Jerusalem (A.D. 70).

A few prominent names have been associated with this position (e.g., Stuart, Schaff, Lightfoot, Foy E. Wallace Jr.), and for a brief time it was popular with certain scholars. James Orr has observed, however, that recent criticism has reverted to the traditional date of near A.D. 96 (1939, 2584). In fact, the evidence for the later date is extremely strong.

In view of some of the bizarre theories that have surfaced in recent times (e.g., the notion that all end-time prophecies were fulfilled with the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70), which are dependent upon the preterist interpretation, we offer the following.

External Evidence
The external evidence for the late dating of Revelation is of the highest quality.

Irenaeus
Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.

Clement of Alexandria
Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 155-215) says that John returned from the isle of Patmos “after the tyrant was dead” (Who Is the Rich Man? 42), and Eusebius, known as the “Father of Church History,” identifies the “tyrant” as Domitian (Ecclesiastical History III.23).

Even Moses Stuart, America’s most prominent preterist, admitted that the “tyrant here meant is probably Domitian.” Within this narrative, Clement further speaks of John as an “old man.” If Revelation was written prior to A.D. 70, it would scarcely seem appropriate to refer to John as an old man, since he would only have been in his early sixties at this time.

Victorinus
Victorinus (late third century), author of the earliest commentary on the book of Revelation, wrote:

When John said these things, he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Caesar Domitian. There he saw the Apocalypse; and when at length grown old, he thought that he should receive his release by suffering; but Domitian being killed, he was liberated (Commentary on Revelation 10:11).

Jerome
Jerome (A.D. 340-420) said,

In the fourteenth then after Nero, Domitian having raised up a second persecution, he [John] was banished to the island of Patmos, and wrote the Apocalypse (Lives of Illustrious Men 9).

To all of this may be added the comment of Eusebius, who contends that the historical tradition of his time (A.D. 324) placed the writing of the Apocalypse at the close of Domitian’s reign (III.18). McClintock and Strong, in contending for the later date, declare that “there is no mention in any writer of the first three centuries of any other time or place” (1969, 1064). Upon the basis of external evidence, therefore, there is little contest between the earlier and later dates.

Internal Evidence
The contents of the book of Revelation also suggest a late date, as the following observations indicate.

The spiritual conditions of the churches described in Revelation chapters two and three more readily harmonize with the late date.

The church in Ephesus, for instance, was not founded by Paul until the latter part of Claudius’s reign: and when he wrote to them from Rome, A.D. 61, instead of reproving them for any want of love, he commends their love and faith (Eph. 1:15) (Horne 1841, 382).

Yet, when Revelation was written, in spite of the fact that the Ephesians had been patient (2:2), they had also left their first love (v. 4), and this would seem to require a greater length of time than seven or eight years, as suggested by the early date.

Another internal evidence of a late date is that this book was penned while John was banished to Patmos (1:9). It is well known that Domitian had a fondness for this type of persecution. If, however, this persecution is dated in the time of Nero, how does one account for the fact that Peter and Paul are murdered, yet John is only exiled to an island? (Eusebius III.18; II.25).

Then consider this fact. The church at Laodicea is represented as existing under conditions of great wealth. She was rich and had need of nothing (3:17). In A.D. 60, though, Laodicea had been almost entirely destroyed by an earthquake. Surely it would have required more than eight or nine years for that city to have risen again to the state of affluence described in Revelation.

The doctrinal departures described in Revelation would appear to better fit the later dating. For example, the Nicolaitans (2:6, 15) were a full-fledged sect at the time of John’s writing, whereas they had only been hinted at in general terms in 2 Peter and Jude, which were written possibly around A.D. 65-66.

Persecution for professing the Christian faith is evidenced in those early letters to the seven churches of Asia Minor. For instance, Antipas had been killed in Pergamum (2:13). It is generally agreed among scholars, however, that Nero’s persecution was mostly confined to Rome; further, it was not for religious reasons (Harrison 1964, 446).

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant John,

Happy is he who is reading, and those hearing, the words of the prophecy, and keeping the things written in it — for the time is nigh!”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1:1, 3‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Revelation 1:1-3 A revelation of Jesus Christ, that God gave to him, to shew to his servants what things it behoveth to come to pass quickly; and he did signify [it], having sent through his messenger to his servant J | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now
(The Things Which Are) Revelation Chapters 1-4 describing the Churches

(The Things Which Shall Be Hereafter)
Revelations Chapters 5-22 "Future" events unfulfilled

Revelation 1:19KJV
19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Revelation was written at about 96AD, that reveals 70AD played no part in fulfillment of it

When Was the Book of Revelation Written?
By Wayne Jackson

Traditionally, the book of Revelation has been dated near the end of the first century, around A.D. 96. Some writers, however, have advanced the preterist (from a Latin word meaning “that which is past”) view, contending that the Apocalypse was penned around A.D. 68 or 69, and thus the thrust of the book is supposed to relate to the impending destruction of Jerusalem (A.D. 70).

A few prominent names have been associated with this position (e.g., Stuart, Schaff, Lightfoot, Foy E. Wallace Jr.), and for a brief time it was popular with certain scholars. James Orr has observed, however, that recent criticism has reverted to the traditional date of near A.D. 96 (1939, 2584). In fact, the evidence for the later date is extremely strong.

In view of some of the bizarre theories that have surfaced in recent times (e.g., the notion that all end-time prophecies were fulfilled with the fall of Jerusalem in A.D. 70), which are dependent upon the preterist interpretation, we offer the following.

External Evidence
The external evidence for the late dating of Revelation is of the highest quality.

Irenaeus
Irenaeus (A.D. 180), a student of Polycarp (who was a disciple of the apostle John), wrote that the apocalyptic vision “was seen not very long ago, almost in our own generation, at the close of the reign of Domitian” (Against Heresies 30). The testimony of Irenaeus, not far removed from the apostolic age, is first rate. He places the book near the end of Domitian’s reign, and that ruler died in A.D. 96. Irenaeus seems to be unaware of any other view for the date of the book of Revelation.

Clement of Alexandria
Clement of Alexandria (A.D. 155-215) says that John returned from the isle of Patmos “after the tyrant was dead” (Who Is the Rich Man? 42), and Eusebius, known as the “Father of Church History,” identifies the “tyrant” as Domitian (Ecclesiastical History III.23).

Even Moses Stuart, America’s most prominent preterist, admitted that the “tyrant here meant is probably Domitian.” Within this narrative, Clement further speaks of John as an “old man.” If Revelation was written prior to A.D. 70, it would scarcely seem appropriate to refer to John as an old man, since he would only have been in his early sixties at this time.

Victorinus
Victorinus (late third century), author of the earliest commentary on the book of Revelation, wrote:

When John said these things, he was in the island of Patmos, condemned to the mines by Caesar Domitian. There he saw the Apocalypse; and when at length grown old, he thought that he should receive his release by suffering; but Domitian being killed, he was liberated (Commentary on Revelation 10:11).

Jerome
Jerome (A.D. 340-420) said,

In the fourteenth then after Nero, Domitian having raised up a second persecution, he [John] was banished to the island of Patmos, and wrote the Apocalypse (Lives of Illustrious Men 9).

To all of this may be added the comment of Eusebius, who contends that the historical tradition of his time (A.D. 324) placed the writing of the Apocalypse at the close of Domitian’s reign (III.18). McClintock and Strong, in contending for the later date, declare that “there is no mention in any writer of the first three centuries of any other time or place” (1969, 1064). Upon the basis of external evidence, therefore, there is little contest between the earlier and later dates.

Internal Evidence
The contents of the book of Revelation also suggest a late date, as the following observations indicate.

The spiritual conditions of the churches described in Revelation chapters two and three more readily harmonize with the late date.

The church in Ephesus, for instance, was not founded by Paul until the latter part of Claudius’s reign: and when he wrote to them from Rome, A.D. 61, instead of reproving them for any want of love, he commends their love and faith (Eph. 1:15) (Horne 1841, 382).

Yet, when Revelation was written, in spite of the fact that the Ephesians had been patient (2:2), they had also left their first love (v. 4), and this would seem to require a greater length of time than seven or eight years, as suggested by the early date.

Another internal evidence of a late date is that this book was penned while John was banished to Patmos (1:9). It is well known that Domitian had a fondness for this type of persecution. If, however, this persecution is dated in the time of Nero, how does one account for the fact that Peter and Paul are murdered, yet John is only exiled to an island? (Eusebius III.18; II.25).

Then consider this fact. The church at Laodicea is represented as existing under conditions of great wealth. She was rich and had need of nothing (3:17). In A.D. 60, though, Laodicea had been almost entirely destroyed by an earthquake. Surely it would have required more than eight or nine years for that city to have risen again to the state of affluence described in Revelation.

The doctrinal departures described in Revelation would appear to better fit the later dating. For example, the Nicolaitans (2:6, 15) were a full-fledged sect at the time of John’s writing, whereas they had only been hinted at in general terms in 2 Peter and Jude, which were written possibly around A.D. 65-66.

Persecution for professing the Christian faith is evidenced in those early letters to the seven churches of Asia Minor. For instance, Antipas had been killed in Pergamum (2:13). It is generally agreed among scholars, however, that Nero’s persecution was mostly confined to Rome; further, it was not for religious reasons (Harrison 1964, 446).

(The Things Which Are) Revelation Chapters 1-4 describing the Churches

(The Things Which Shall Be Hereafter)
Revelations Chapters 5-22 "Future" events unfulfilled

Revelation 1:19KJV
19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

As I stated before these things are debatable. I’m not here debate on what someone believes was that was revelation was written way in 96ad it doesn’t make sense considering all the other letters and how it was all written to 7 churches those 7 churches don’t seem to be around any longer that is for sure.

Thank you again for your points, your are very welcome in staying right there in your own theology. We won’t agree, but we are called to love each other in Christ.

I don’t hate you, nor could I really by the spirit of Christ.

If there is anything else you would like to make known to me you may.

Thank you again for your time and participation in this thread.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Love to you,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
Do
As I stated before these things are debatable. I’m not here debate on what someone believes was that was revelation was written way in 96ad it doesn’t make sense considering all the other letters and how it was all written to 7 churches those 7 churches don’t seem to be around any longer that is for sure.

Thank you again for your points, your are very welcome in staying right there in your own theology. We won’t agree, but we are called to love each other in Christ.

I don’t hate you, nor could I really by the spirit of Christ.

If there is anything else you would like to make known to me you may.

Thank you again for your time and participation in this thread.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
Do you believe in a "Future" literal return of Jesus in the heavens?

Do you believe in a "Future" resurrection of the dead in Christ?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All those historical figures are interesting that is for sure. Thank you sharing them. It just doesn’t make sense that things that were suppose to happen quickly haven’t happened yet. Though for them and all the warnings they read including everything else in the letter.

It begs the question, Did Jesus Return to them? Or was all of it a lie, and the Bible can’t be trusted?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve stated I am not a futurist.

I use to believe Jesus was returning: I now believe he returned for his bride in the 1 century, and now the kingdom of God is in full effect now in this world by the spiritual filled believers in Christ.

The kingdom of God having been established, there will never be an end to the increase of it, from this day in age forward.

That is how I see it @Truth7t7.

I also believe that Jesus since is death, burial, and Resurrection, and having placed all enemies beneath his feet conquering over: Satan and his demons, hell/Sheol/grave, sin, and death. Therefore me now today is the Lord God Almighty who sits on the one throne. There are two places people end up. Those who had faith and love towards God and others inside the kingdom of the new heavenly Jerusalem, and those who are outside of the gates who were unbelievers and did not desire anything to do with God.

I hope this over all shows my perspective of my belief in its fullness,

Thank you for your question,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve stated I am not a futurist.

I use to believe Jesus was returning: I now believe he returned for his bride in the 1 century, and now the kingdom of God is in full effect now in this world by the spiritual filled believers in Christ.

The kingdom of God having been established, there will never be an end to the increase of it, from this day in age forward.

That is how I see it @Truth7t7.

I also believe that Jesus since is death, burial, and Resurrection, and having placed all enemies beneath his feet conquering over: Satan and his demons, hell/Sheol/grave, sin, and death. Therefore me now today is the Lord God Almighty who sits on the one throne. There are two places people end up. Those who had faith and love towards God and others inside the kingdom of the new heavenly Jerusalem, and those who are outside of the gates who were unbelievers and did not desire anything to do with God.

I hope this over all shows my perspective of my belief in its fullness,

Thank you for your question,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher
It appears that your belief would be that of "Full Preterist" all has been fulfilled

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truth7t7 As far historical evidences I can understand that the wrath of God was going to come upon the nation of Israel. There is no denying what Jesus states about the Pharisees and scribes and towards that generation in that day.

Thank you again for your interest, I believe by faith what Jesus said was true and believe he came and everything he promised that they would see happen, @Truth7t7.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t even know what the full definition of everything a "Full Preterist” believes I might disagree with them in something too.

Either way I do believe the Bible and what it presents and believe the Bible is still useful today even for growing in Christ, and growing in knowing God and Jesus.

:)