What does the Bible say about when Jesus Christ would return?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello to you,

Welcome to this thread, that deals with "What does the Bible say about when Jesus Christ would return?"

To me the question is begging to be answered, though it would require every piece of evidence and fragment of scripture to put it all together to get the greatest fullest picture pertaining with this question, it may not just simply be answered by one answer that you may find.

If you would like to share some scripture that you personally have found through the Gospels, and the Apostles Letters, please feel free to do so.

God bless to all,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many people still do, @amadeus.

However to gather all of this information for an individual self study for those out there ponder the question. My encouragement for them is to search for the answer through the scripture.

:)

God bless.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello to you,

Welcome to this thread, that deals with "What does the Bible say about when Jesus Christ would return?"

To me the question is begging to be answered, though it would require every piece of evidence and fragment of scripture to put it all together to get the greatest fullest picture pertaining with this question, it may not just simply be answered by one answer that you may find.

If you would like to share some scripture that you personally have found through the Gospels, and the Apostles Letters, please feel free to do so.

God bless to all,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Matt,

Do we need anything further than Matt 24:36 (ESV), "“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only."

Oz

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Oz, you have made a great addition to just a single verse to a whole context that needs to be looked at from I believe Matthew 21. That would help us get the bigger picture on that.

You know Jesus because Jesus did not know, which makes him not incompetent however does not also negate all of the other given information which was given for a sign of when the Temple would become desolated. Because Jesus had just got done pretty much throwing down on the religious Jewish leaders in that day who were at the the temple.

Unless I am remembering wrong. That still doesn’t mean Jesus wasn’t going to not return, it just means the Father knew when, and those 4 disciples would be able to discern the times of the coming end of their “world” as they knew it. That is why they asked the question to Jesus and he answered them.

If anyone else would like to add more scripture please feel free, for just this one is just a fragment here that has been shared with us by Oz.

God bless and thank you for sharing and commenting,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

:)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:27-31 KJV
27) For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28) For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
29) Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30) And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31) And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

This is not a "Jesus came into my heart" sort of event. This is a big deal as everyone sees Jesus coming in power and glory.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh how much more is there in scripture than what you have shown my dear friend. This is not about the theological debate.

This is a thread dedicated towards the topic.

“When does the Bible say Jesus would return?”

Such a variety of scripture deal with this subject doesn’t it? My friend in Christ, Marks.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away
. Matthew 24:29-35

Verse 29 above is parallel to Revelation 6:12-17 about the 6th seal.
Verse 30 is when every eye shall see Him coming on the clouds of heaven.
Verse 31 describes the gathering together of the elect. If the elect (chosen ones) includes the church then this passage either refers to the rapture and 1st resurrection or a gathering of the resurrected saints. The problem with the latter is in verse 34. Jesus spoke this parable to His disciples, not to the masses.
He said, " this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. "
So the obvious question is "Did Jesus make a mistake?"
Aren't Peter and the Apostles the foundation of His church?
They all died without seeing all these things that He spoke about, including the great tribulation.
So, we have to reconcile verse 34 to reality and history.

How can we understand the parable of the fig tree?
He couldn't have been talking about the generation long dead, but He could've been referring to the generation that sees all the signs. Or, since parables represent some spiritual truth, he could've been referring to one of two generations commonly mentioned in scripture, the generation of the righteous or the generation of the wicked.

All born again believers are the generation of the righteous as are all the saints. There are no second generation Christians. You must be born again in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. But there are many generations of the wicked. Jesus spoke this to His disciples, the foundation of the church, and there is no one righteous except by faith, so Jesus asserted that His church would by no means pass away "till all these things take place."

Apparently no one taught Jesus about the pre-tribulation rapture.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So no return of Jesus to the earth?

Much love!
So no return of Jesus to the earth?

Much love!
Don't put words in my mouth. Jesus came the first time when he was born to Mary in Bethlehem. We have probably all read about that in the Bible. For me, he came the second time when he began to dwell in me. That was the second coming, was it not?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt,

Do we need anything further than Matt 24:36 (ESV), "“But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only."

Oz
I would add that we are told to live as though He might come back today. See Matthew 24:42-51, @MatthewG.

Therefore be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming."

So, should we spend time watching for signs of His return? Or just be ready in case it's at 3 A.M. tonight? I don't know. The quoted text is part of a longer discourse in which He gives signposts, so ... maybe.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would be because only about half of the Old Testament prophecies about Christ are fulfilled. If he physically fulfilled half of them, why wouldn't He physically fulfill the rest?
You and others want to prove a point on it, I am not going to oppose you. Very simply I am going to follow the Spirit today. Never mind about tomorrow:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34

Reactions: michaelvpardo

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would add that we are told to live as though He might come back today. See Matthew 24:42-51, @MatthewG.

So, should we spend time watching for signs of His return? Or just be ready in case it's at 3 A.M. tonight? I don't know. The quoted text is part of a longer discourse in which He gives signposts, so ... maybe.
We simply continue to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness today. By the time tomorrow gets here it will be today!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You and others want to prove a point on it, I am not going to oppose you. Very simply I am going to follow the Spirit today. Never mind about tomorrow:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." Matt 6:33-34
I understand and appreciate your in the moment view if you consider His return something to worry about, but the entire point of the communion ordinance is to proclaim christ until His return. The resurrection is one of the key elements of the gospel.
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9
If there's no resurrection, there's no salvation.

12 Now if Christ is preached that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty. 15 Yes, and we are found false witnesses of God, because we have testified of God that He raised up Christ, whom He did not raise up—if in fact the dead do not rise. 16 For if the dead do not rise, then Christ is not risen. 17 And if Christ is not risen, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins! 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
1 Corinthians 15:12-19

There is a "Christian " version of the Sadducees (that also didn't believe in the resurrection. ) But these are "pitiable. "

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still many more scriptures about the return.

@michaelvpardo I just wanna touch on one thing you stated about the fig tree. Considering the context of that verse, and the symbolism is noted as being the fall of Israel.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do think 1 Corinthians 11.26 is significant: our service for Lord, as we remember Him in the Lord's Supper, is while looking back to His death, and looking forward to His coming. In the meantime, we by His grace continue to serve Him in Gospel testimony.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Lambano, while I believe it is a good thing to teach in a proper approach to other believing Christians or other people no matter the background, the truth about scripture, and I believe strengthening the faith in someone is a great thing. However for me personally if I was to tell people to be ready for his return, and they expect it now today…

Sheesh,,, what kind of hope am I giving to them anyway.

The real hope is the deliverance out of darkness and coming into the light and having a renewed heart and mind while living by the spirit now in this life. And you will be rewarded at the end of by having freely decided to willingly serve God.
There are more scriptures that pertain to this topic, I thank all of you for sharing and posting out your views.

when it comes to the return there are still passage to go looking for about this topic.

“When does the Bible say Jesus will return”

There we can see where the scripture point it out, and also consider the audience and the time period.

I guess this is a critical thinking exercise for those who are curious to take head on.

Be encouraged, to pray, study, and read!

With love,
In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand and appreciate your in the moment view if you consider His return something to worry about, but the entire point of the communion ordinance is to proclaim christ until His return. The resurrection is one of the key elements of the gospel..."
Being born again is a resurrection from the dead! If we have been born again, we were dead in the eyes of God, but now we have resurrected... we have already received the Life more abundantly which Jesus came to bring. Has it already begun or do wait for another time and another place?

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 1126

Reactions: bbyrd009